ICC World Cup 2023: New Zealand (172/5) deliver a telling blow to Pakistan's semi-finals chances with a 5-wicket win over Sri Lanka (171)

Poor captaincy and poor bowling, so I have no sympathies for Afghanistan sorry.

They also got smashed and their NRR reflects that.

Good improvement over their previous performances though, so you can give them that.

Neither Afghanistan nor Pakistan deserve to go through. They just haven't played enough quality cricket and NZ has comparatively.

A formerly minnow team that beat Sri Lanka, Pakistan and current champions England in an utterly comprehensive manner doesn’t deserve to be in the semis?

Afghanistan has performed much better than all teams except the top 3.

NZ lost 4 games on the trout and their wins have come against weak teams. Give me a break.

Afghanistan is the team that deserves to be in the semis more than Pakistan and New Zealand.

Stop blaming Sri Lanka, we are in this situation because we are rubbish. New Zealand capitulating under pressure was the only reason we came close to qualifying, we should have had no hope in hell after the pathetic displays against India, Australia, Afghanistan and South Africa.

Don't deserve to go through, simple as that.
Do New Zealand deserve to go through after losing 4 back to back matches?

Anybody done the calcs -if NZ chase 160 here in 20 overs what that does to the run rate. I am startting to think the less runs SL score the better!!

They lost to Aus, Sa and India 3 Strongest teams.

Fakhar is solid but he wouldn't have been able to bash if nz played at full strength, sodhi level spinners would get thrashed.

Nz was limited in that game but with southee back in full form and satner ready to go, it's all hunky dory now.

The Pakistan vs nz game is lucky cause we don't know what would happen if full game was played

This time they got luck as other teams were just a tiny bit worse than them
Actually they played lot, lot better, though lost four games, but one of them by 4 runs (chasing 388!!), lost one to PAK after scoring 401 in a rain curtailed game, stressed India most in this WC - their only poor game was SAF, a team that has humbled everyone batting first.

Better for Pakistan to approach the England game with a nothing to lose mindset. Aim to get England to bat first, get them out cheaply and then chase quickly
If New Zealand win this inside 25 overs, I doubt Pakistan would even have a mathematical way of going through

I remember last time in 2019, if we had bowled first against Bangladesh, we would have been eliminated on the toss

It has started to rain heavily.................................. in Rawalpindi

Rain started at the wrong side of the border :(

Lol these SL batsmen were playing for the rain they weren't looking to bat full 50 overs
yeah that was clear in the approach in the first 10
by all predictions there should have been covers on the field by now, not to be 😕

Pak fan’s don’t get upset 124/8 as miracles do happen…. Couple of days back maxwell batted scored 200 without any footwork beaten AFG….. tonight we may see srilankan spinner bowling without run-up and taking Nz all wkts under 100

Stop blaming Sri Lanka, we are in this situation because we are rubbish. New Zealand capitulating under pressure was the only reason we came close to qualifying, we should have had no hope in hell after the pathetic displays against India, Australia, Afghanistan and South Africa.

Don't deserve to go through, simple as that.
Not to mention, NZ were handicapped by absence of Ferguson and Henry vs Pak

Nz really adopted the rain rain go away come again another day mantra to the end

even pakistan lost 4 back to back..
NZ loat 3 back to back. I doubt count the Pakistan game since chasing 400 vs batting g ahead of dls total is 2 different scenarios. Nz also wasn't at full strength since Santner wasn't in it, neither was ferguson. Amd some injury hampered causing sodhi and Mitchell to bowl.

Pakistan lost 4 back to back properly. With one of them being a humiliating India and afg loss.

These 2 have shown more fight than anyone the batsmen than why batsmen are even playing ? Lol
Their batsmen suck, only perera and mendis is worth a damn, and perara is more so a shahid afridi bash a few ball, get a quick fire start and get out.

He doesn't bat for more then 10-12 overs

SL are unlikely to reach a good score. But, they can hang around and hope that rain will happen. That's the only realistic way they may save this game.

Nz dint beat big team barring a weak overrated England side that honestly dint even deserve fo win 2019 fluke world cup.

They were competitive with aus I guess so that's there. Match was somewhat respectable vs india.

Pakistan, we dint beat any top side barring nz but we came close vs SA. I guess since we beat nz h2h we deserve it more than nz.

Afghans beat us and England. I guess Afghans then us and nz.

Surely I can’t be the only one who thinks England will beat Pakistan convincingly.
Stokes is slightly coming back into rhythm and Pakistan bowling is toothless.

Malan only functions if the bowling is toothless which Pakistan bowling is.

Brooks is only good for hack minnow bashing which once again Pakistan bowling is.

So likely to win.

It's a battle of toothless bowling and toothless batting. A competition as to who's more toothless 😂😂

Not watching live but just looking at scorecard at top of browser's tab.
It's been time since wicket has fallen.

I had to switch to scorecard tab to check if rain has stopped the play.

Stokes is slightly coming back into rhythm and Pakistan bowling is toothless.

Malan only functions if the bowling is toothless which Pakistan bowling is.

Brooks is only good for hack minnow bashing which once again Pakistan bowling is.

So likely to win.

It's a battle of toothless bowling and toothless batting. A competition as to who's more toothless 😂😂
More than that, it is going to be the final ODI for most of England’s golden generation who achieved everything in this format unlike the 2015 generation.

They would like to go out on a high and play for personal pride. I expect 100% intensity from England in this game and if they bring their A game Pakistan will stand no chance.

The problem is there is a lack of alternatives, I agree he is not a good captain, just not sure what a good alternative is
We need to find alternatives because babar became power hungry and was running pcb and making pcb dance because of his fame. he got what he wanted and failed he needs to come back to the earth.

The problem is there is a lack of alternatives, I agree he is not a good captain, just not sure what a good alternative is
Anyone will be better than Babar, I can assure you he is clueless, giving it to Shaheen, Rizwan, Shan, heck even Shadab I do not care, Babar has had more than enough chances to captain this team. In the long run it will do him good, if he leaves captaincy behind.

For India vs nz semi final southee should be dropped but no good backup

Not watching live but just looking at scorecard at top of browser's tab.
It's been time since wicket has fallen.

I had to switch to scorecard tab to check if rain has stopped the play.

It has been a very boring period.

Surely I can’t be the only one who thinks England will beat Pakistan convincingly.
U r not alone - that wonderful Whitehall generation will retire after that game….. they won’t like to leave being 9th on the table.

More than that, it is going to be the final ODI for most of England’s golden generation who achieved everything in this format unlike the 2015 generation.

They would like to go out on a high and play for personal pride. I expect 100% intensity from England in this game and if they bring their A game Pakistan will stand no chance.
70 30 to pakistan this game pak has no pressure they will just play freely so expect pak to win

These 2 needs to keep playing the overs runs come or not that doesn't matter now

You should not rely on mercy of others to reach semi.
But you shouldn’t lose 3 games in a row either when you are one win away

NZ are equally to blame if they are robbed here

Who lets SA bat first?

What score can Sri Lanka, make from here, which might give some a small chance to win

So it looks another 5th place finish or maybe 6th.
We need to find alternatives because babar became power hungry and was running pcb and making pcb dance because of his fame. he got what he wanted and failed he needs to come back to the earth.
I think people listen too much to the media and get carried away. They have copies to sell. Babar and Mickey aren't the problem, this is an institutional problem with a our cricket and no matter who the Captain or the coach or chief selector is, the pool of players to chose from, is too small and its rubbish to suggest that all we needed was X,Y or Z and everything will be OK.

Buttler 45 ball ton loading against Pakistan.
Naw, Butler is put of it. Won't happen.

Brooks ironically can. Brooks is a hack but he relishes toothless bowling.

Malan won't get a 45 ball ton but he can get a massive massive score due to his ability to play long.

so how many mystery lankan spinners are they playing? lol lets hope they defend 120ish some how lmaoo

He has done that against Pakistan more so than any other team. I wouldn’t put it beyond.
He's gone downhill for more than a year now that Jos butler not coming back anytime soon

Anyone will be better than Babar, I can assure you he is clueless, giving it to Shaheen, Rizwan, Shan, heck even Shadab I do not care, Babar has had more than enough chances to captain this team. In the long run it will do him good, if he leaves captaincy behind.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, he isn't good enough but some of the guys you have named haven't even cemented a spot themselves so on what basis should they get the captaincy?

Rizwan is probably the most secure but there is always a risk with WK and top order batsman being a captain too, he's already working on an intense level, adding captaincy to it is a risk

Back