ICC World Cup 2023: Pakistan v Afghanistan | Match 22 | Chennai | 23 October | Pakistan Innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1698021610709.png

Pakistan had a strong start in the ICC Men's Cricket World Cup 2023, easily defeating the Netherlands and Sri Lanka. However, they faced setbacks against tougher opponents like India and Australia.

These consecutive losses have left Pakistan with little room for error as they aim to secure the six victories required to advance to the knockout stage of the Cricket World Cup.

Afghanistan presents a timely opportunity for Pakistan, as they need to regain their form quickly. Afghanistan boasts an unblemished 7-0 record in their previous ODI encounters, providing a confidence boost for Pakistan.

In most of their previous matches, Pakistan has comfortably defeated Afghanistan. However, just two months ago, they had a close encounter in a 50-over match, where Afghanistan amassed 300 runs, with openers Rahmanullah Gurbaz and Ibrahim Zadran making a significant impact with a partnership of 157 for the first wicket.

Although Imam-ul-Haq's composed 91 helped Pakistan secure victory, it was a nail-biting finish, with just one wicket and one ball to spare.

Gurbaz, who scored 151 in that intense match, has continued to shine on the big stage, contributing a rapid 80 against England, which set the stage for Afghanistan's impressive victory at the Cricket World Cup.

Pakistan should be cautious of the same openers potentially steering Afghanistan toward another surprising win. Additionally, the threat of spinners Rashid Khan and Mujeeb ur Rahman looms large in a crucial match with a lot at stake.

When: October 23, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: MA Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai

Teams

Afghanistan:

Afghanistan may have never beaten Pakistan in the seven ODIs the two teams have played against each other, but they have stretched them close a few times - whether it's in the last tournament or the last World Cup, and given the spin threat they pose, Chennai would be an ideal venue to believe they can end that winless run.

Pakistan:

Pakistan's World Cup caravan has moved to Chennai, and at the moment, there are issues aplenty for them to address. Batting collapses, high dot-ball percentage, low percentages of sixes, expensive returns with the new ball, lack of penetration through the middle overs, and fielding lapses to name a few.

While they would hope to find solutions soon enough to these concerns, all they are desperately wishing for now is a couple of positive results. After all, their next two games scheduled to be played in the south Indian city could play a pivotal role in deciding their fate in the competition, given how the tournament is placed at close to the mid-way point.

Squads:

Afghanistan Squad: Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Ibrahim Zadran, Rahmat Shah, Hashmatullah Shahidi(c), Azmatullah Omarzai, Ikram Alikhil(w), Mohammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, Naveen-ul-Haq, Fazalhaq Farooqi, Noor Ahmad, Riaz Hassan, Abdul Rahman, Najibullah Zadran

Pakistan Squad: Abdullah Shafique, Imam-ul-Haq, Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Rizwan(w), Saud Shakeel, Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Nawaz, Usama Mir, Shaheen Afridi, Hasan Ali, Haris Rauf, Mohammad Wasim Jr, Shadab Khan, Fakhar Zaman, Agha Salman

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Shaheen's spell will be very vital tomorrow. If they defend total he will get a lot of swing under lights. He has to land every single ball on the spot. He can create a top order collapse easily here. Pakistan can defend even 200 here. So when they bat first they shouldn't be shooting for moon.

Pakistan will have their work cut out against Mujeeb, Rashid, Nabi and Noor. Afghanistan will go all spin on us and Pakistan's spinners are badly out of form therefore no guarantee they will take advantage of the spin bowling conditions will

Pakistan will have their work cut out against Mujeeb, Rashid, Nabi and Noor. Afghanistan will go all spin on us and Pakistan's spinners are badly out of form therefore no guarantee they will take advantage of the spin bowling conditions will
They weren't ever inform though.

Nawaz has been useless since debut. As for sheddy, people still are over the moon on that yuvi wicket he took ages ago

Have a feeling that this will be the match where Babar discovers he can open the bowling with a spinner

In Rankings, its 2 v 9 . Google says 73-27 to Pakistan, Pakistan ability to play spin is shockingly bad

Kindly don’t collapse when I wake up, this Afghan team can’t field or bat as such so improve the NRR in this game will help in future.

Indian journalist are saying it is the same pitch that India vs Australia played on.

Kindly don’t collapse when I wake up, this Afghan team can’t field or bat as such so improve the NRR in this game will help in future.
Low expectations from this game, we may lose very well, I had a very strong feeling that Warner is going to tonk us and tonk he did, I feel this won't be a walk in the park and there is a good likelihood that we may lose it if Afg put on 250 plus score.

:pkflag
Can’t wait expecting good performance from Babar shaheen ifti mania and Rizwon

please don’t lose the match 😩

Shane Bond and Chateshwar Pujara were saying Shadab should play. Thoughts?

I've wanted him out of the team but I don't dislike the thought of him playing.

News is Usama will play, a rough Chennai surface will be ideal for him bowl with a low trajectory

Abrar cannot play?
No, he cannot play. Ibrar is in reserves so if he has to play, one of the main players has to be injured or some other solid reason has to be there which is approved by ICC

Increase the NRR Pakistan.

Winning is evident. Make it 200+ runs margin if bat first.

Atleast win by 30-35 overs if bat second.

Phanity in terms of their bowling, if they make 250-275 that be enough for them to defend.

Spin friendly pitch

Our batsmen can't play spin and are bowlers can't bowl spin 🤣

Worldcup needs expirence we have no experience

a lot of y’all underestimating Afghanistan like crazy.

Obv I hope Pak wins and by a big margin.

But they took out England, and can run big teams close. Almost every game Vs Afghanistan for us comes down the wire these days.

sad to say, but Pak v Afg is more often more competitive than Pak v Ind

This is going to be an epic encounter, AFG have finally managed to beat a big team like England, they are force to reckon with in chennai. I don't think Pakistan can get away this time around.

It’s a battle between Pakistan bowling v/s. Afghanistan bowling….. whosoever win this battle will win the match…both team’s batting not trustable

They are actually right. I would rather prefer Usama and Shadab together rather than the biggest fraud of century 'Nawaz'.

40 overs of spin, heavy workload coming for Rizwan and Saud. Apart from these two, I don't see anyone having an ability to face 30 ball of high quality spin.

It's Chennai, go with 30 overs of spin, at least.

Expecting an anti-climatic match, with Pakistan winning by 100+ runs or by 7/8 wickets.

It’s a battle between Pakistan bowling v/s. Afghanistan bowling….. whosoever win this battle will win the match…both team’s batting not trustable
No it's between Pakistan batting vs afg bowling.

Our bowling is toothless lol

Pakistan's record at chennai in ODIs is encouraging for them to win today's encounter. Will they improve the record today or we will see another bad day for team Green?

1698038172120.png

So will Pakistan drop Hassan Ali/Rauf and play all 3 spinners - Usama, Shadab and Nawaz?

So will Pakistan drop Hassan Ali/Rauf and play all 3 spinners - Usama, Shadab and Nawaz?
No bro. we should not do that. Our spinners are not even 20 percent of what afghan spinners are. Usama and salman agha should be in today. Nawaz should be left out and Rauf should also go for Wasim.

Need to give muhammed wasim a chance in place of rauf he could be out trump card going further

shafique, imam, Babar, rizwan all put together are not fit to tie speed anwars shoe laces
The top 3 will be the key today to negate the Afghan spinners. Imam and Babar struggle big time against the spinners so they need to come up with some plan to handle them. The best players of spin in the current team are Rizwan and Saud.

There's no need to play an extra bowler today. If sense prevails, Pakistan should boost their batting by bringing in Salman in place of Nawaz. And if they feel Shadab should replace Usama then that's fine.

Salman, Ifti should take over the 5th bowler quota.

There's no need to play an extra bowler today. If sense prevails, Pakistan should boost their batting by bringing in Salman in place of Nawaz. And if they feel Shadab should replace Usama then that's fine.

Salman, Ifti should take over the 5th bowler quota.
Dont think that is a good idea. Nawaz/Shadab are not world beaters but at least they are not conceding 10 runs an over. We need to back them and hope they improve their accuracy.

Our main issue is that our top order batters score 60-70 and feel they have done their job.

Secondly we are giving away far too many runs in the first 10 overs. This is where we dearly miss Imad

Dont think that is a good idea. Nawaz/Shadab are not world beaters but at least they are not conceding 10 runs an over. We need to back them and hope they improve their accuracy.

Our main issue is that our top order batters score 60-70 and feel they have done their job.

Secondly we are giving away far too many runs in the first 10 overs. This is where we dearly miss Imad
Our batting is thin currently. We need to back Ifti to bowl out at 6-7rpo I think he's capable of that. And Agha too. They're holding bowlers, for the 4 main ones so we are not really banking on them for the wickets. A smart captain would make good use of them.

And adding Agha to the batting does strengthen the batting considerably over having Nawaz. You do get some reassurance that between Saud, Ifti and Salman you can get 100 runs out of them collectively.

We need an underdog in the semis.. what a story will it be with Afghans

Spin friendly pitch

Our batsmen can't play spin and are bowlers can't bowl spin 🤣

Worldcup needs expirence we have no experience
Our batsmen can't play spin. Their batsmen can't handle pace though.

Conditions, playing strengths and team make up all indicate we should bar first.

I bet Bobby will have a bowl though.

Team is mentally destroyed, led by the weakest captain we have had since forever.

I don’t see us doing well under pressure in this game against the best spin bowling attack on a raging turner.

Pakistan might get knocked out tonight and put out of its misery.

A spinning track will only reduce the gap between average spinner and quality spinner.
Ifti, Agha, Saud all can become wicket taking options on square turners against poor batting side like Afghans.

Conditions, playing strengths and team make up all indicate we should bar first.

I bet Bobby will have a bowl though.
If Babar wins the toss and bats second, he will firmly highlight himself on an Umar Akmal dumbness level.

Unnecessary concern by few here.
Pak will win easily.
If Pak bat first 200 should be enough. If Pak batting second target would be similar.

Dude, Pakistan will get knocked out of they lose this.
No they don't. It will only help them.

They just become cornered(tigers). :tigers

Pakistan are like Obi-Wan Kenobi, If you strike them down, They shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine!

This is a world cup final for Afghanistan.

Every Afghan I know has had this date marked in their calendar since the games were announced.

Expecting the pitch to be tailor-made for Afghan spinners a bit like India Aus game

I am really interested to know who ia deciding which pitches are being used for different games. For India Vs Australia it was a slow spinning pitch. For New Zealand Vs Bangladesh, there was a different pitch with bounce and carry for fast bowlers.
Today, it seems like a slow turner again which favors Pakistan's opponents. This also would mean that South African match might have slightly bouncier track. I am getting nervous for Pakistan now.

Lol he has come to his senses.
Good decision to bat first
Pakistan should always bat first irrespective of the conditions.

Shadab back 😂😂😂
This man can do anything to bring back his buddy.
Poor Nawaz 😂 victim on fictional injury

Great to know Noor Ahmed playing . 40 overs of spin for Pakistan to handle

Doubt Nawaz actually has a fever, why did Babar have to lie about it?

I am really interested to know who ia deciding which pitches are being used for different games. For India Vs Australia it was a slow spinning pitch. For New Zealand Vs Bangladesh, there was a different pitch with bounce and carry for fast bowlers.
Today, it seems like a slow turner again which favors Pakistan's opponents. This also would mean that South African match might have slightly bouncier track. I am getting nervous for Pakistan now.
I think it’s just an advantage you have of being host + we have a bit of bad luck

Two leggies playing, I suppose they think Iftikhar can basically give us the off spin overs that Nawaz was giving anyway

Sad to see Nawaz go

This was the perfect pitch for Nawaz. Noor Ahmad in the team, Pakistan hate such spinners. They can't pick Chinaman at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back