ICC World Cup 2023: Pakistan v Sri Lanka | Match 8 | Hyderabad | 10 October | Sri Lanka Innings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1696869781606.jpeg

Pakistan aims to build on their victory over the Netherlands, while Sri Lanka hopes to bounce back from their defeat against South Africa in Delhi.

Sri Lanka felt the absence of Wanindu Hasaranga and Maheesh Theekshana in the previous match and is optimistic that Theekshana, who had suffered a hamstring injury, has recovered in time to face Pakistan in Hyderabad.

Theekshana will have the crucial task of containing a formidable Pakistan batting lineup, especially with skipper Babar Azam eager to make amends for an unusual failure in the opening match against the Dutch.

Saud Shakeel emerged as the standout performer in the game against the Netherlands, and the powerful left-handed batsman appears poised to play a significant role in Pakistan's World Cup campaign.

When: October 10, 2023, 2:00 PM IST

Where: Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Hyderabad

Teams

Pakistan:

Despite their victory in the first match, the team has several concerns, particularly regarding their opening batsmen. While Bradburn expressed support for Fakhar Zaman, it remains uncertain whether he will maintain his spot in the playing eleven.

In terms of tactics and strategy, following his impactful performance upon returning to the side, Hasan Ali is likely relishing the opportunity to face his favorite opponent, who also happens to be one of the most crucial batters for the opposition - Kusal Mendis. Hasan Ali has dismissed Mendis three times in just 18 balls in ODIs, conceding a mere 7 runs in the process.

Sri Lanka:

The return of Maheesh Theekshana for the match against Pakistan is a welcome addition, offering a significant boost to Sri Lanka's bowling attack, especially after the mauling they endured at the hands of South Africa.

In terms of tactics and strategy, Sri Lanka will aim to exploit the vulnerability of Pakistan's top order. Fakhar Zaman has faced challenges when dealing with deliveries that swing significantly, a weakness that was effectively exploited by Logan van Beek in the opening game.

Squads:

Sri Lanka Squad: Pathum Nissanka, Kusal Perera, Kusal Mendis(w), Sadeera Samarawickrama, Charith Asalanka, Dhananjaya de Silva, Dasun Shanaka(c), Dunith Wellalage, Kasun Rajitha, Matheesha Pathirana, Dilshan Madushanka, Dimuth Karunaratne, Lahiru Kumara, Dushan Hemantha, Maheesh Theekshana

Pakistan Squad: Fakhar Zaman, Imam-ul-Haq, Babar Azam(c), Mohammad Rizwan(w), Saud Shakeel, Iftikhar Ahmed, Mohammad Nawaz, Shadab Khan, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi, Haris Rauf, Agha Salman, Usama Mir, Abdullah Shafique, Mohammad Wasim Jr

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

Imam need to settle down and give pressure free start i will take 40-0 after 10.

Hoping for our openers to find some form!

Great chances to get some revenge for Sri Lanka knocking us out of the Asia Cup.

Rumor is that Abdullah Shafique will play in place of Fakhar. Team Management wants Abdullah to get a chance before the big game against India

Rumor is that Abdullah Shafique will play in place of Fakhar. Team Management wants Abdullah to get a chance before the big game against India

I back Abdullah but if he plays with Imam then expect a 30 score in the first 10

I'm a bit perplexed knowing Fakhar played the first game. So why drop now and not at the start if Abdullah was in the plans?

Regardless I now hope that Abdullah gets an extended run and it is not a case where a poor performance against Sri Lanka and/or India means his place is also under threat. Would not be fair for the youngster as well.

Although World Cup is a long tournament and I do think Fakhar will somehow get a chance again after this rest and will come back in the later part of the tournament. A gut feeling you can say.

I back Abdullah but if he plays with Imam then expect a 30 score in the first 10

If Abdullah gets given the same confidence and backing that the team management has been giving to Fakhar, he will come good.

Abdullah was known as an aggressive dasher at the start of his career, I have seen him come down the track to pacers and he has hit some very big sixes in the PSL and he has played a few knocks in T20 Cricket at a SR of 150-200 ie 50 plus scores.

He plays good cricketing shots and has the ability to play that inside out cover drive with ease against spinners. He is a nervous starter and needs to negotiate the first few deliveries of every innings.

1-2 big scores in ODIs and Babar will have some serious competition in the ODI team.

I'm a bit perplexed knowing Fakhar played the first game. So why drop now and not at the start if Abdullah was in the plans?

Regardless I now hope that Abdullah gets an extended run and it is not a case where a poor performance against Sri Lanka and/or India means his place is also under threat. Would not be fair for the youngster as well.

Although World Cup is a long tournament and I do think Fakhar will somehow get a chance again after this rest and will come back in the later part of the tournament. A gut feeling you can say.

Need to remember that even Imam is out of form and not scoring runs either and batting slowly as well. If Imam too keeps failing then we might see Fakhar back in the side in the next few games.

But the team management needs to experiment and keep trying different combinations. We can't carry out of form players in this WC anymore and need to make tough brave calls. Heck I would even gamble and put Nawaz as an opener and ask him to do the pinch hitting role so that we can get Usama Mir in the team.

If Abdullah gets given the same confidence and backing that the team management has been giving to Fakhar, he will come good.

Abdullah was known as an aggressive dasher at the start of his career, I have seen him come down the track to pacers and he has hit some very big sixes in the PSL and he has played a few knocks in T20 Cricket at a SR of 150-200 ie 50 plus scores.

He plays good cricketing shots and has the ability to play that inside out cover drive with ease against spinners. He is a nervous starter and needs to negotiate the first few deliveries of every innings.

1-2 big scores in ODIs and Babar will have some serious competition in the ODI team.

I'm aware bro, I've built a reputation over here on being the biggest Abdullah and saud shakeel fan boy, alongside tayyab and Saim.

Ik what Abdullah is capable of, I've seen the lad play in psl and in test.

The problem isn't Abdullah, it's our brainless management, Rather then grooming him, we decided to play him in a virtual semi final against Sri Lanka last minute and now expect him to play in a world cup stage all on the mindset that he is disposable and won't be given rizzu Golden boy treatment.

NZ and India groomed players because they played theirn2nd string sides and those guys despite getting thrashed by top tier teams such as NZ losing 4-1 to Pakistan, They groomed Mitchell, Mark champman, Ravindra in that series.

Who did we groom? It's the same old story with us, Keep playing the same winning 11, get happy we beat C tier teams, Get thrashed by 1st string, Panic last minute and bring in a newbie and hope for a miracle.

We did this with sarfraz replacing jamshed in 2015, we did this with fakhar replacing shehzad in 2019, now we are doing this with saud and Abdullah. Management is beyond brainless, your 2 best test players who scored double centuries recently and embrassed imam and Babar in the test series don't get to play because we have a love affair with agha and an out of form fakhar and imam.

Poor Abdullah now has to perform in a pressure stage, ungroomed for the format. Damn you PCB, it's been 12 years, Learn something for god sakes.

Need to remember that even Imam is out of form and not scoring runs either and batting slowly as well. If Imam too keeps failing then we might see Fakhar back in the side in the next few games.

But the team management needs to experiment and keep trying different combinations. We can't carry out of form players in this WC anymore and need to make tough brave calls. Heck I would even gamble and put Nawaz as an opener and ask him to do the pinch hitting role so that we can get Usama Mir in the team.
It's a bit of a hurried and panic strategy to just try different openers and see which ones come off. Experimentation should be done before, not in the World Cup. But that would be a very non Pakistani thing to do I must say.

Regardless of the past performances. World Cup is a new event. Pakistan have only played one match and you can only analyze so much of players performances in one match of a World Cup.

A must win game for Pakistan , they cannot afford to lose. The skills may not be there , but Pakistan players have to show for passion , there is no looking back. You have to beat teams like Lanka , Afghanistan and Bangladesh. These six points can give Pakistan a chance to make semis.

Bring Fakhar to the middle order.

Abdullah , Babar , Saud, Rizwan , Fakhar , iftikhar , Shadab , Usama , three pacers

Abdullah could be to Fakhar in WC 2023 what Fakhar was to Shehzad in 2017 Champions Trophy, the rest is history.

The latter was obviously a much shorter tournament, finger's crossed none the less, anyone or even anything is better than Fakhar at this point.

Doesn't Pakistan recently announced the playing eleven a day before match?
I'm backing Pakistan to win the match and Babar will score a century

From Presser by Sri Lanka Coach Naveed Nawaz:

Theekshana’s - I think he should be available for this game. Obviously, we didn't want to take a risk with him in the first game and didn't want to go against the advice of the medicals so I'm sure he'll be available for this one.

This will be high scoring game.. 330 is a good fighting total here..

Babar Azam needs to turn up.

No point scoring hundreds vs Nepal and Zimbabwe.

He needs to score big vs Sri Lanka, India & Australia.

The left-arm spinners did well today on the same pitch. Satner got 5 wickets, and van der Merwe got 2 wickets earlier today. Nawaz to outperform tomorrow?

Babar Azam needs to turn up.

No point scoring hundreds vs Nepal and Zimbabwe.

He needs to score big vs Sri Lanka, India & Australia.
Nz, Ind, Australia, Eng and SA are the big matches.

Getting centuries against Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan is expected and doesnt change his pedigree.

Nz, Ind, Australia, Eng and SA are the big matches.

Getting centuries against Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Afghanistan is expected and doesnt change his pedigree.
Tbf, Babar fancies Nz bowlers. Its the others that expose him lol, especially India.

Fakhar's lack of form has ruined things for Pakistan.

Abdullah is the only option they have and he will have to show the ability to take on the role of the aggressor in the partnership. He's skilled enough to do it, but this is definitely not an ideal spot to be put in.

Saim Ayub would have been a much better fit in terms of having an aggressive opener. Lack of experience doesn't matter since Ayub has played more List-A cricket than Shafique.

Putting all the banters and often heated discussions aside, wish all the best to Pakistan :babar

My XI for today's match in batting order shall be
M.Rizwan
M.Nawaz(yes,I want Nawaz as opener)
Babar
Agha salman
Saud shakeel
Iftikhar
Shahdab
Osama
Hassan ali
Haris
Shaheen

Must win watch for Pakistan .. lose here and you will struggle to qualify for the Semis till the very end..

Team batting first have a great chance to win, but rarest chance of due in evening favors Batting 2nd.. tricky situation, both captains wants to loose a toss

The middle order is crucial here. Bobby, Rizwan and Saud must contribute heavily if we are going to win.

Line up is obvious.

Fakhar
Imam
Bobby
Rizwan
Saud
Ifti
Nawaz
Shadab
Shaheen
Hasan
Rauf

This looks very solid on paper but sometimes performances are way below expectations

Yep. Can’t believe some are really thinking SL will be a walk in the park. Last time we thought this last year at Asia cup and got owned.
Pak are the favorites by far according to betting odds for this match. Hopefully the odds are right.

Toss is coming up in a few minutes. Win the toss and do what in your opinion?

Yep. Can’t believe some are really thinking SL will be a walk in the park. Last time we thought this last year at Asia cup and got owned.
Great now you got me stressed lol. We really lose to sl 6 times under his captaincy? Wow

Pakistan hasn't lost against Sri Lanka till today in ODI World Cups.

This isn't a rank turner which is a good news for us as Lankan spinning attack is quite good

Battle of the streaks today: Pakistan's unbeaten ODI WC record against SL vs Shanaka's six match winning run in LOIs against Pakistan.

Kusal Mendis has reinvented himself as an ultra-aggressive batsman so we must remove him early.

Big bowling effort needed.

Pakistan can back themselves to chase any target Lanka sets here. Their fast bowling is poor.

I'd like to see another relatively low scoring match. Maybe 250 odd for Sri Lanka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back