"If I kept remembering Joginder Sharma and Sreesanth, I might have stopped playing cricket" : Misbah

Abdullah719

T20I Captain
Runs
"If I kept remembering Joginder Sharma and Sreesanth, I might have stopped playing cricket" : Misbah

Misbah-ul-Haq speaking to Mirza Iqbal Baig on TV:

"My family and Imran Khan's family are pretty much the same if you look at the roots, they stay on the same street and there is a connection."

"Cricket in Pakistan sees people playing with all kinds of balls but the most common is tape ball cricket which I played for a very long time."

"Infrastructure for cricket in Pakistan is not that good which is why youngsters often end up playing at home etc."

"My parents specially my father put a lot of emphasis on education though my mother did allow me to play sports occasionally. It's due to them that I studied so hard."

"My interest in cricket developed late, I didn't expect to play for Pakistan. But when I started playing, I enjoyed it quite a lot. Then I got an opportunity to play for Sargodha and my interest and passion increased and I started thinking about going forward and it continued that way until I made it to the Pakistan team."

"I can't express how I felt on debut. It felt like I was in a dream for those 4 or 5 days on Test debut. It was a proud moment and an honour, it felt like I have achieved something in life."

"No matter what field you're in, education will 100% help you with your performance, interaction, communication and you understand things in a different way. Emphasis should be put on education more in Pakistan. Without that, I feel you can't perform to your potential, whereas with education, you can perform beyond your potential."

"When you play international cricket for the first time, it's a big learning curve. I made a lot of effort and adopted those things that were needed according to the requirements of international cricket."

"All the ups and downs in my career have helped me. These things help you to become mentally strong and you get an opportunity to analyse your own strengths and weaknesses and improve. There are very few people who have a smooth path through their careers. Difficulties pose a challenge and the enjoyment is in finding solutions to problems."

"I wasn't expecting to be appointed captain but I always ensured I was physically and mentally ready to play international cricket. Beyond that, you don't know what will happen. I kept working hard and I had experience. When I got captaincy, Allah helped me and the players performed very well too. Since the last 6 years, the Test team has performed well and I am happy to be a part of that."

"I always try to motivate the other players. Guys like Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq and Sarfraz Ahmed also have the example of someone like Younis Khan who has been performing for 15+ years. They can learn a lot from him and take inspiration and then become role models and inspirations for future players, just like we were fortunate to have the likes of Inzamam-ul-Haq, Mohammad Yousuf, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis to learn from."

"I was married in 2004. I got a lot of support from my wife. I always say you can perform on the field when your family supports you and you are mentally relaxed. The support ensures that you can pay full attention to your profession. My wife supports me and the Pakistan team a lot, praying nafls and keeping fasts and what not. So you need this mental and moral support."

"We usually eat salads and grilled food. The focus is on avoiding fats and focusing more on salads and protein."

"My mother's prayers are very important for me as well as the prayers of my family and fans. Without that, I don't think anyone can do well."

"We have been playing so much cricket here in UAE so we keep learning more about the conditions and becoming familiar with the pitches. That has helped our team and myself as a player as well."

"The hundred that I rate most highly is my recent one at Lord's. It was a challenge for me and also for the Pakistan team, to go and perform well in England. The team needed runs at the time also and performing at Lord's is always the wish of any cricketer."

"There was a series scheduled against India last year so I was looking forward to it as India's team is performing well. Both teams play in similar conditions so it would have been a lot of fun and a competitive series but unfortunately it didn't materialise and doesn't look likely in future too. It is disappointing. The cricketers of both teams enjoy facing each other and the fans are always invested in Pakistan-India series. There is a lot of viewership and it's always a high-voltage series so there's a lot of enjoyment in that which we're missing. There's nothing better than captaining in a series against India so it is a wish of mine to play against them."

"My regret isn't about scoring one ODI century - if I would have made it, I should have made 10-12. But I am proud to have a lot of unbeaten 80s and 90s in wins. Rather than focusing on centuries and records, the more important thing for me was match-winning knocks."

"One of my wishes is for the team to go to Australia and play competitive cricket and try to win or draw the series. Just like England was a big challenge, Australia is also."

"T20 cricket is high intensity cricket. The game is played at a high speed. Fitness is very important. My base was tape-ball cricket and I also played a lot of T20 cricket in Pakistan so I have a lot of experience in that format. That benefited me in 2007 when T20I cricket started. And now it's fun and enjoyment specially for young players who get to work with many coaches in the leagues, and the most important part of this is that it provides financial advantage for cricketers. T20 cricket is important for developing cricket in different countries."

"If I kept remembering Joginder Sharma and Sreesanth, I might have stopped playing cricket. I always believe that you leave the past behind, even the good things. Everyday in cricket and life is a new day where you have to perform. If you dwell on the past or the future too much, performance becomes difficult. You can have regrets but there should be some limit so that it doesn't affect your present performances."

"In terms of mental strength, the likes of Javed Miandad, Steve Waugh and Inzamam-ul-Haq are the players I like. Others I like include Jacques Kallis and specially AB de Villiers, he is a top class batsman and you can't see anyone else like him in the world today."

"A lot of factors contribute to my calm demeanour. I can't be thankful enough to Allah to have given me the strength and patience that I have. For any person, these things give you a lot of satisfaction and make your life easy."

"Every person becomes angry at times but the key is to try and control it. Any decision you make in anger isn't a good decision."

"I had already planned to retire after playing a series against India before the tour of England but I spoke to the cricket board and chairman about it. The England series was a tough one and giving a new player captaincy or introducing a new player in the lineup was difficult, and the series against Australia will be difficult too, so I decided to stay on. Currently, my plan is to play till the Australia series and then I'll see during that about my future. If there is a replacement then it's good to introduce him in the team at the right time."

"It's always the desire of any person to contribute in a field he's familiar with and to help people. I am thinking about my future and let's see - I'll make a decision about it once I retire from playing cricket."

Last edited:
"If I kept remembering Joginder Sharma and Sreesanth, I might have stopped playing cricket. I always believe that you leave the past behind, even the good things. Everyday in cricket and life is a new day where you have to perform. If you dwell on the past or the future too much, performance becomes difficult. You can have regrets but there should be some limit so that it doesn't affect your present performances."
-

Incredible - although he is making light of this but given the amount of abuse Misbah got for this, any other person would have packed up and left. Instead he persisted and he must be appreciated for that.

You can never plan for the unexpected, Misbah never expected to become captain but 6 years on, here he is and what a tenure he has had.

Excellent interview.

Agreed with Misbah..

Life moves on..No point in staying in the past..

Misbah makes really good points regarding the education. Education teaches you mannerisms and helps you with a lot of other aspects in your life.

To put this into perspective, just look at how Misbah carries himself in the media and how other Pakistani cricketers carry themselves in the media. Unreal. Wish more Pakistani cricketers had the education required to succeed at the highest level, maybe they wouldn't have been so reluctant towards throwing tantrums.

Misbah makes really good points regarding the education. Education teaches you mannerisms and helps you with a lot of other aspects in your life.

To put this into perspective, just look at how Misbah carries himself in the media and how other Pakistani cricketers carry themselves in the media. Unreal. Wish more Pakistani cricketers had the education required to succeed at the highest level, maybe they wouldn't have been so reluctant towards throwing tantrums.

Misbah seems to be more from suljhay ghar ka. Most of our players don't even know how to behave, I doubt if any book could teach them that. PCB should have proper focus on mannerisms and personal conduct from domestic level.

Misbah gives me inspiration everyday.. what a man! What a personality..

I hope he writes an auto biography one day

-

Incredible - although he is making light of this but given the amount of abuse Misbah got for this, any other person would have packed up and left. Instead he persisted and he must be appreciated for that.

True. I don't think people should blame him completely for that game. In fact it was him who got us so close to a win when we were five wickets down before reaching 100 that 151 looked like a dream.

Primary culprits are Afridi and Hafeez esp the latter who does bottling as a part time job with his friend Amla :amla.

Imran Nazir should've finished it.

But what he said does sound nice except it was repeated in 2011.

To be honest, i as a fan whenever i accidentally watch the replay of that moment i always get sick to the gut and really feel sad and remember the sad feeling i had on that day aswell. And if i could feel that then i wonder misbah feels much worse then that

True. I don't think people should blame him completely for that game. In fact it was him who got us so close to a win when we were five wickets down before reaching 100 that 151 looked like a dream.

Primary culprits are Afridi and Hafeez esp the latter who does bottling as a part time job with his friend Amla :amla.

Imran Nazir should've finished it.

But what he said does sound nice except it was repeated in 2011.

Gotta put that in the past too. :misbah2

Back