Imad Wasim as the next T20I captain of Pakistan?

Should Imad Wasim be the next captain of the Pakistan T20 team?

• Total voters

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
After another failed campaign in the ICC World Cups, Babar Azam is facing a lot of criticism and people want him to be sacked from captaincy and a new captain for white-ball cricket.

Babar Azam has led the Pakistan team in 16 World Cup matches where he has won 10 games and 6 lost with a win percentage of 62.5 but he failed to lift the trophy on all occasions. He was the captain of Pakistan in 2021, 2022 and 2024 T20 World Cup overall.

Even in PSL, featuring in 33 matches, Babar does not have an impressive record as a captain. He has won 12 matches and lost 21 games. He has a low win percentage of 36.36.

The discussion that has been raised by cricket followers and cricket experts about Pakistan's next captain in the T20's is whether it should be Imad Wasim who is a potential all-rounder.

In the Pakistan Super League (PSL), Imad’s leadership qualities can be seen when he captained 44 matches with an equal number of wins and losses totaling to 20 games each.

His performance in PSL 8 stood out because he scored 404 runs at a strike rate of over 170 and took nine wickets at an economy rate of 7.9. In the year 2024, he added twelve wickets to his account and scored more than a thousand runs.

Do you think Imad Wasim should be the next captain of the Pakistan T20 team?

4th best option behind Saifi, Saud and Shan.

Don’t think he has a spot in the T20 team however if we have to choose between him and any of Babars gang of 4, I’d take Shan any day

He can be a stopgate if he's fit and if Pakistan sees no other option. But he's getting old

What makes him worthy now when he was not made the first time Babar was removed and Shaheen was made captain.
Shaheen is not fit for captaincy at the moment he needs to work on his bowling first

Rizwan should be given a chance to lead

Babar should never be near to captaincy again

He'll have no pressure of individual performance if he's made the captain.

But will agents Bobby and Riz approve such a move will have to be seen.
:inti

WHy not?

If babar has to be removed and RIzwan and Shaheen are also not worthy, then who??
Fakhar Zaman in T20s, Rizwan in ODIs and Tests (when Shan's stint is done).

As much as I like Imad, he is too old and past his prime. His fitness is not up to scratch and his knee issues are not going away. It makes zero sense to continue with him if we are really serious about rebuilding with the next World Cup in mind.

I also imagine that he knows all this and would want to maximize his earnings from T20 leagues while he still can.

Imad is the perfect choice.

He is still open to play

Can keep his place in the side based on bowling alone

Is liked by all.

Will make sense in pressers!

Be careful what you wish for

This will be the end of your laadla keeper+batter

Rizwan, Babar, and Shaheen are already at each other's throats. We don't want to add a fourth faction to the team. Don't give then ideas

We need a new captain. None of these starsss. Bring someone young and throw them in deep sea. If he swims give him odi captaincy too.
Would ve loved a player like jaiswal to be there to grab it. We hoped saim ll be like that but he has been a disappointment at the moment.
Maybe saud can be an option. Or agha salman. Thats the only way i see this groupism end otherwise there ll be too much hesitation and dosti muhabbat instead of team planning.

Rizwan, Babar, and Shaheen are already at each other's throats. We don't want to add a fourth faction to the team. Don't give then ideas
Imad is team Shaheen.

(Shaheen group)
Imad
Amir
Fakhar
Shaheen
Usman Khan
Azam Khan
Shadab
Rauf

(Rizwan group)

Rizwan
Iftikhar
Abbas Afridi

(Babar group)

Babar
Abrar
Saim

Rauf+Shadab are flexible in being cordial to Babar too

Imad is team Shaheen.

(Shaheen group)
Imad
Amir
Fakhar
Shaheen
Usman Khan
Azam Khan
Shadab
Rauf

(Rizwan group)

Rizwan
Iftikhar
Abbas Afridi

(Babar group)

Babar
Abrar
Saim

Rauf+Shadab are flexible in being cordial to Babar too
Why would Abrar be in Babar's group?

The guy never plays. 🤣

We need a new captain. None of these starsss. Bring someone young and throw them in deep sea. If he swims give him odi captaincy too.
Would ve loved a player like jaiswal to be there to grab it. We hoped saim ll be like that but he has been a disappointment at the moment.
Maybe saud can be an option. Or agha salman. Thats the only way i see this groupism end otherwise there ll be too much hesitation and dosti muhabbat instead of team planning.
There is no one young enough that is capable of becoming captain right now.

And even if there was, this kind of stuff usually never works in the sub-continent because the resentment among the senior players creates a toxic environment where the young captain cannot function. It has everything to do with Asian players having big egos and being treated as larger than life figures in their countries. Javed Miandad could have been one of Pakistan's greatest captains had the senior players not completely sabotaged his stint.

I can see it working in Bangladesh possibly because Shanto has the backing of senior players like Shakib, Mahmudullah as well as the coach and the board. But I don't think you could do it in Pakistan.

Why would Abrar be in Babar's group?

The guy never plays. 🤣
Babar is always carrying him around on all his little shopping and restaurant trips. He’s clearly got him under his wing

well, people have no faith in Babar now (understandable), no rizwan (OKAY), no Shaheen (i think he will not accept it this time) so who else is left?

Amir? not a captain material.
Shadab? not deserving, should be dropped

Haris rauf??? Nay

Naseem??? nope, although he is the most passionate of all

Imad is left only because fakhar is a guy who want to keep quiet and do his work so PCB will not think about him.

Shaheen needs to form a coalition with Imad Wasim and Amir. It’s the only way to overthrow the current minnow losing - no longer bashing regime.

A couple of IG pictures with Imad with some cheesy ahh captions will be the start of the end for Babar as captain of Pakistan.

No thanks. It's time to rip up this team and rebuild with a younger team that is able to play modern cricket. The target should be preparing them for the next World Cup. I would have a rule of no one over 30 in the next squad.

Shaheen needs to form a coalition with Imad Wasim and Amir. It’s the only way to overthrow the current minnow losing - no longer bashing regime.

A couple of IG pictures with Imad with some cheesy ahh captions will be the start of the end for Babar as captain of Pakistan.
But why would Shaheen form a coalition with two embarrassing losers who came out of retirement with so much dhoom dhaam only to lose matches for Pakistan?

Imad shouldn't be the captain just saying.

It's time to move on from babar(in t20), Rizwan, Amir, Imad, Shaheen(For now since he's put of it), shadab and chacha.

Pakistan needs a new t20 team with a new captain to groom plain and simple.

This WC isn't a suprise. We were doomed in 2020 as soon as we decided to make 2 non PP utilises as openers and replace our no 1 rank middle order with a fragile trash heap of chacha, Shadab, Asif, Nawzz and since then zero improvements

Oh boy, if this happens then popcorn time
It will happen if I say it happens.

The mentally weak fraud is currently fighting to keep his place in the team because the selectors like Mehran & there is no doubt he has a much higher ceiling than Imad.

Imad has 0% chance of becoming captain.

Just what we need, a captain who neither takes wickets or makes runs, get rid permanently

It will happen if I say it happens.

The mentally weak fraud is currently fighting to keep his place in the team because the selectors like Mehran & there is no doubt he has a much higher ceiling than Imad.

Imad has 0% chance of becoming captain.
I already know it ain't happening. Mamoon bro, you gotta stop taking every comment literally. It was a rhetorical response to the thread. I even responded in the following comment on what Pakistan actually needed since 2020.

Babar needs to take the blame for not trusting Shaheen or Naseem with the Super Over.

Had he done that, Pakistan would still be in contention to qualify for the next phase.

I have a problem with Babar for (1) not blocking Amir & Imad from returning and (2) trusting Amir over his other pacers.

Babar usa performance was hilarious. Who bats like that on a road?

Imad shouldn't be the captain just saying.

It's time to move on from babar(in t20), Rizwan, Amir, Imad, Shaheen(For now since he's put of it), shadab and chacha.

Pakistan needs a new t20 team with a new captain to groom plain and simple.

This WC isn't a suprise. We were doomed in 2020 as soon as we decided to make 2 non PP utilises as openers and replace our no 1 rank middle order with a fragile trash heap of chacha, Shadab, Asif, Nawzz and since then zero improvements
The problem is that Pakistan Cricket has been prioritising T20's so much so that I can't even recall the last test match we played...

With fewer test matches and ODI's the seniors are going to ensure they play as much "international" cricket as they possibly can.

T20's should be for younger, upcoming players striving to play in the longer format but we have over the hill players trying to hold on to their places

Bring Sarfraz as team manager , let a new captain take over T20 side .
Wahab was a mentally fragile player how come is he a team manager ? Guy couldn’t get his run up right for 4 deliveries and Mickey Arthur had to slam the door 🤣

Former Zimbabwe captain Andy Flower has weighed in on Pakistan's ongoing captaincy debate. He shared his thoughts during an interview with a sports media outlet, following Pakistan's early exit from the ICC T20 World Cup 2024:

“As far as the leadership is concerned, Shadab Khan is out of the running because he is not doing his primary job well. I don’t think they will go back to Shaheen which leaves Babar and Rizwan as the option. Rizwan I think, is an excellent leader of men. He has got a big heart and he has got ample integrity and people follow him. I think he is an option for them.”

“They made some quite radical changes just prior to the World Cup. They brought Babar back as captain and relegated Shaheen. They also brought back Imad Wasim from the wilderness along with Mohammad Amir. So, big changes just prior to the tournament starting but I think these changes should have strengthened Pakistan.”

But why would Shaheen form a coalition with two embarrassing losers who came out of retirement with so much dhoom dhaam only to lose matches for Pakistan?

Amir won us more matches with the ball than Babar did with the bat.

If I’m not wrong, Amir retired from cricket and came back and still won a MoM award before Babar in T20i’s.

Heard Imad played bad deliberately against India and PCB will investigate.

Honestly we ve always talked about how babars captaincy has let his players down but this worldcup his captaincy wasnt bad at all. He made brilliant bowling changes. And used his resources well. We ve been investing in chacha azam and saim for ages and It still amazes me how we let usa score 18 runs in super over. How on earth. That super over made this okayish team look far worse than it actually is. Babar should be retained but given.some reality checks as we dont have anyone young here

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't care what anybody says, but after that innings Vs India he can't be captain.
He was behaving like he was Ben Stokes and had it in the bag.
That's was a dangerously cold performance
He needs to get onto Harna mana hai and explain that innings !

He lost them the India game and nearly the Ireland game. What performance are you talking about?

He did not single-handedly lose the game to India.

He also bowled VERY well in the Ireland game.

Purely based on performance, he holds his place in the side as a bowler, if batting is an issue.

That innings against Ireland was even worse than the on against India.

He came to this world cup touting himself as the best allrounder and couldn’t even hold a bat against Ireland?

He didn’t play responsibly, Babar actually took some initiative there.

Shaheen should stay far away from the 2 TV pundits. Hopefully they retire again and go back to talk shows.

Bye Imad, don’t let the door hit your no talent backside on the way out!

Oh on the way drop off old man Iftikhar to the nearest old peoples home

Amir won us more matches with the ball than Babar did with the bat.

If I’m not wrong, Amir retired from cricket and came back and still won a MoM award before Babar in T20i’s.
Amir is the reason why Pakistan did not go through. The worst Super Over in history will never be forgotten.

19 runs including 3 wides vs mighty USA, that too by a bowler who is supposed to mentally strong & experienced. The ultimate humiliation.

As far as Imad is concerned, the less said about him the better. What a mentally weak

Two rubbish knocks under pressure.

Amir is the reason why Pakistan did not go through. The worst Super Over in history will never be forgotten.

19 runs including 3 wides vs mighty USA, that too by a bowler who is supposed to mentally strong & experienced. The ultimate humiliation.

As far as Imad is concerned, the less said about him the better. What a mentally weak

Two rubbish knocks under pressure.

You blame Shan Masood for letting Australia escape after having them 16-4.

You have yet to put the blame on Babar for not being able to defend 14 off the last over vs USA.

Imagine having long off inside the circle when your bowler is pitching it up.

Babar will go down as the worst captain in the history of international cricket.

Before Amir and Imad, we were losing to the likes Zimbabwe and Afghanistan in ICC tournaments.

No accountability for Babar the captain and Babar the batsman. Failed at both, hasn’t even hit a 6 in the PP in his last 3 ICC WT20’s.

Shaheen should stay far away from the 2 TV pundits. Hopefully they retire again and go back to talk shows.

Imad and Amir aren’t the ones chasing for the captaincy.

Imagine knowing that your teammate who had just been appointed as the new captain will face global humiliation because of your actions, and you still go ahead and potentially create a division in the dressing room. Babar didn’t care about the consequences of taking back his captaincy. That’s someone Shaheen should stay away from.

atleast he is genuine and hates fixers in the team ... plays for the team.. even afridi cannot win against india on that pitch ...

LOL Imad Wasim. On the other hand it will suit PCB perfect. Going from 1 joker (Babar) to another (Imad). A so called professional who is seen smoking during a game, yes he would fit perfect as captain since the Pak national team has been reduced to a friends 11.

You blame Shan Masood for letting Australia escape after having them 16-4.

You have yet to put the blame on Babar for not being able to defend 14 off the last over vs USA.

Imagine having long off inside the circle when your bowler is pitching it up.

Babar will go down as the worst captain in the history of international cricket.

Before Amir and Imad, we were losing to the likes Zimbabwe and Afghanistan in ICC tournaments.

No accountability for Babar the captain and Babar the batsman. Failed at both, hasn’t even hit a 6 in the PP in his last 3 ICC WT20’s.
Before Amir and Imad, Pakistan played the World Cup Final with the same group of players and the same captain.

With Amir and Imad, Pakistan just didn't crash out in the group stage with the same group of players and the same captain, they also lost two matches due to the embarrassing choking of Amir and Imad.

I blame Babar for this debacle too. He should not have trusted a washed up, mentally weak failure like Amir to bowl in the Super Over.

Fitness level check karo future Pak captain ka !!

1718796352074.png

Isn't he 35 officially? I expect him to retire soon.

Pakistan probably need a younger captain.

Imad Wasim might be a good option for captaincy, but there's a far better option available which is Rizwan.
Muhammad Haris could a good shout too, he had a plenty of experience under his belt.
After another failed campaign in the ICC World Cups, Babar Azam is facing a lot of criticism and people want him to be sacked from captaincy and a new captain for white-ball cricket.

Babar Azam has led the Pakistan team in 16 World Cup matches where he has won 10 games and 6 lost with a win percentage of 62.5 but he failed to lift the trophy on all occasions. He was the captain of Pakistan in 2021, 2022 and 2024 T20 World Cup overall.

Even in PSL, featuring in 33 matches, Babar does not have an impressive record as a captain. He has won 12 matches and lost 21 games. He has a low win percentage of 36.36.

The discussion that has been raised by cricket followers and cricket experts about Pakistan's next captain in the T20's is whether it should be Imad Wasim who is a potential all-rounder.

In the Pakistan Super League (PSL), Imad’s leadership qualities can be seen when he captained 44 matches with an equal number of wins and losses totaling to 20 games each.

His performance in PSL 8 stood out because he scored 404 runs at a strike rate of over 170 and took nine wickets at an economy rate of 7.9. In the year 2024, he added twelve wickets to his account and scored more than a thousand runs.

Do you think Imad Wasim should be the next captain of the Pakistan T20 team?

Imad Wasim might be a good option for captaincy, but there's a far better option available which is Rizwan.
Muhammad Haris could a good shout too, he had a plenty of experience under his belt.
Muhammad haris is good, only reason I don't advocate Inad is because of fitness and age. I'm thinking long term captain for saud and Haris.

On what basis does rizwan make a better captain? He's off the same mould as babar. Max I can see rizwan maybe being better in field selections, but he's horrible at drs reviews. Further more this wc overwhelmed him, under pressure he makes horrible wk mistakes such as the Super over where he leaked runs by throwing the ball over Amir's head.

He can't handle pressure, Can't figure out drs reviews, he doesn't understand the concept of shuffling orders which is very very crucial in odi and in t20, he just like babar sticks to the same order and he himself isn't willing to make sacrifices like sarfraz could which was sometimes even sending hasan Ali in the last 2 to 3 overs ahead of him because hasan could slog sixes.

Rizwan will stick to a boring pattern that's already been exposed numerous times over in Babar's captaincy reign?

Muhammad haris is good, only reason I don't advocate Inad is because of fitness and age. I'm thinking long term captain for saud and Haris.

On what basis does rizwan make a better captain? He's off the same mould as babar. Max I can see rizwan maybe being better in field selections, but he's horrible at drs reviews. Further more this wc overwhelmed him, under pressure he makes horrible wk mistakes such as the Super over where he leaked runs by throwing the ball over Amir's head.

He can't handle pressure, Can't figure out drs reviews, he doesn't understand the concept of shuffling orders which is very very crucial in odi and in t20, he just like babar sticks to the same order and he himself isn't willing to make sacrifices like sarfraz could which was sometimes even sending hasan Ali in the last 2 to 3 overs ahead of him because hasan could slog sixes.

Rizwan will stick to a boring pattern that's already been exposed numerous times over in Babar's captaincy reign?
One of the good things that would come out of Rizwan's captaincy is his good field selections, that we won't able to see in babar's captaincy. Actually, that was the main reason we got eliminated out of this WC, if field selections weren't poor, we would have been playing in super 8.
And also Rizwan is too good in reading pitches and shuffle bowlers accordingly. You mention his presence of nerve under pressure, he'll with experience. Boring but better captaincy.

One of the good things that would come out of Rizwan's captaincy is his good field selections, that we won't able to see in babar's captaincy. Actually, that was the main reason we got eliminated out of this WC, if field selections weren't poor, we would have been playing in super 8.
And also Rizwan is too good in reading pitches and shuffle bowlers accordingly. You mention his presence of nerve under pressure, he'll with experience. Boring but better captaincy.
Muhammad haris has actual experience leading a team to victory in an international setting in acc cup.

Every team played their superstars except India. Heck Afghanistan were pretty much at full strength only missing their gum spin attack cause rashid khan in am acc emerging cup would raise some eyebrows obviously.

Rizwan on the other hand has bottled it in psl final and has a history of bottling it.

Lastly both tournaments are different. Acc emerging cup was played before asia cup 2023 and was a build up to it. Theirs alot more at stake in terms of reputation and pressure is higher for players to prove themselves and represent themselves aka saim who was also a part of the acc cup.

Psl is different, Theirs no such pressure for people like rizwan. Pressure for young bloods to get into international team sure, but no pressure for People like rizwan.

Last but not least, idk what you mean by reading the field, It's not hard to read pakistani pindi and gaddafi pitches. Only karachi pitch is slightly different.

Only thing rizwan is better at babar is Field selections and shuffling bowlers but that's not a thing to be proud of. This is Babar azam we are drawing a comparison with, not pat Cummings.

Rizwan ain't fixing this roti gang, nor can he shuffle batting orders, Make intelligent non nepotistic selections, put Seniority bias aside, figure out drs and among other things. Plus he too will be a coward like babar and avoid super overs for a group that scored 2 runs against Zimbabwe.

I know but
Muhammad haris has actual experience leading a team to victory in an international setting in acc cup.

Every team played their superstars except India. Heck Afghanistan were pretty much at full strength only missing their gum spin attack cause rashid khan in am acc emerging cup would raise some eyebrows obviously.

Rizwan on the other hand has bottled it in psl final and has a history of bottling it.

Lastly both tournaments are different. Acc emerging cup was played before asia cup 2023 and was a build up to it. Theirs alot more at stake in terms of reputation and pressure is higher for players to prove themselves and represent themselves aka saim who was also a part of the acc cup.

Psl is different, Theirs no such pressure for people like rizwan. Pressure for young bloods to get into international team sure, but no pressure for People like rizwan.

Last but not least, idk what you mean by reading the field, It's not hard to read pakistani pindi and gaddafi pitches. Only karachi pitch is slightly different.

Only thing rizwan is better at babar is Field selections and shuffling bowlers but that's not a thing to be proud of. This is Babar azam we are drawing a comparison with, not pat Cummings.

Rizwan ain't fixing this roti gang, nor can he shuffle batting orders, Make intelligent non nepotistic selections, put Seniority bias aside, figure out drs and among other things. Plus he too will be a coward like babar and avoid super overs for a group that scored 2 runs against Zimbabwe.
He didn't only play in Pakistan, did he?? I was referring to his intellectual assistance in analyzing pitches and playing as his opening partner; in fact, Babar Azam himself once mentioned this in one of his interviews.

Regarding Haris' captaincy, I'm a great admirer of him, which is why I even highlighted him in the previous post. However, in order to succeed in that role, he must improve and earn a spot in the NT first.

I know but

He didn't only play in Pakistan, did he?? I was referring to his intellectual assistance in analyzing pitches and playing as his opening partner; in fact, Babar Azam himself once mentioned this in one of his interviews.

Regarding Haris' captaincy, I'm a great admirer of him, which is why I even highlighted him in the previous post. However, in order to succeed in that role, he must improve and earn a spot in the NT first.
Why would babar azam or Misbah even for the matter mentioning it hold any credibility? These 3 are a peas in a pod, Why wouldn't they hype each other to the moon?

I'm done bro, already exhausted with the work 😭 😂
Don't care who they appoint as captain.
Lol, AlrightE.

But just letting you know, not attacking you or anything, just presenting my points on why I disagree that's all

No thank u. Dont need any more captains.

I think the best thing would be to continue with Babar with Shaheen as his deputy. Babar should also take some rest for useless series/games and let Shaheen take the charge on some occasions. We have to work on damage limitation.

No thank u. Dont need any more captains.

I think the best thing would be to continue with Babar with Shaheen as his deputy. Babar should also take some rest for useless series/games and let Shaheen take the charge on some occasions. We have to work on damage limitation.
I think you should take rest from giving suggestions at the moment

Back