India (404 & 258/2d) defeat Bangladesh (150 & 324) by 188 runs to win the 1st Test

Bangladesh doing Bangladeshi things.

Sucking as usual. Why do they even have a test status ?.. Remove them, they can stick to the ODI and T20s

Kuldeep is always threatening, particularly in the SC. I don't know why he is dropped all the time.
india always looks for spinner with batting abilities, that costed us last 2 T20 worldcups, we should play with atleast 2 wicket taking bolwers in T20s.

Will Mehidi Hassan make a 200 run partnership with no 9 and 10 and save the test for Bangladesh? :))

Kuldeep is always threatening, particularly in the SC. I don't know why he is dropped all the time.

1. Jadeja and Ashwin
2. Kuldeep Yadav is a confidence player. Once he is confident he is super. So he needs some tactical handling by the captain. Kohli, as good he was with the pacers, isn’t the same with the spinners.
3. He also has a tendency to bowl a four ball every other over. In tight situations, we can’t always afford it. If he can stop these rank long hops and be a bit more accurate, he should become our no.1 bowler.

Watching him bowl today was so much more fun than watching someone like Axar bowl. You knew something would happen every ball.

IND 404
BAN 133/8 (44) CRR: 3.02
Day 2: Stumps - Bangladesh trail by 271 runs

==

In the second ball of the 132nd over of India's innings, Ashwin decided to give the charge to off-spinner Mehidy Hasan Miraz. The off-spinner saw Ashwin's move and just held his length back. The India all-rounder was nowhere near getting the bat to the ball. That is where the interesting event took place. While keepers teasing the batter by waiting to dislodge the bails is nothing new, Nural Hasan perhaps took a wee bit longer. In fact, Ashwin almost reached home. But thankfully, Hasan whipped the bails off just in time to send the India all-rounder back for a well-made 58.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/hmxvu3" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...est-vs-india-watch-video-101671092250293.html

Litton Das, who had looked in sublime touch in the previous session, hitting five boundaries to race to 24, was yet to score a run in the three overs of play in the post-Tea session. Siraj, who started India's charge along with off-spinner R Ashwin, came running in to start another over. There was nothing special about the first ball of the over which Litton played quite comfortably off the backfoot. Siraj, in his follow-through, had a few words to say to Litton.

The Bangladesh batter, instead of letting it go, decided to have a charge at Siraj. He had his hands over his ears gesturing "what did you say?" The umpire was quick to stop Litton's march and Siraj too did not escalate matters and turned back to his mark.

In the ball, Siraj hit the deck hard to bring its up-and-down nature into play. The ball kept a tad low, hit the bottom edge of Litton's bat and crashed into the stumps. Siraj had his finger on his lips. His revenge was a perfect one.

Virat Kohli, who was standing in the slips, was also seen copying Litton's hands-in-ears gesture to give him a fiery send-off.

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 55.000%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/jsfxun" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Jadeja has a career average of 23 in Australia, what would you call that then? A series average of 28 is not anything exceptional. Yes he did well in that series but overall career his record is not good in SENA.

Oh really? And what averages does Jadeja have in New Zealand and England?

When was the last time Bangladesh won a series at home against even a half decent test side? From what I recall they have lost home series to a team like Afghanistan that started playing test cricket 4 years ago. They drew series against West Indies and Zimbabwe. And while they have managed to cause upsets in singular matches against England and Australia, they have not been able to close series.

I think only Pakistan rivals Bangladesh at this point at being absolute garbage in their home conditions.

I was referring to all 3 formats combined (at home).

Bangladesh actually didn't play many Tests at home lately. They play ODI and T20 more. ODI performance at home has been okay. They only lost one home ODI series since 2015.

Bangladesh actually didn't play many Tests at home lately. They play ODI and T20 more. ODI performance at home has been okay. They only lost one home ODI series since 2015.

In last 10 years in home ODIs Bangladesh has the best winning percentage.

1. Jadeja and Ashwin
2. Kuldeep Yadav is a confidence player. Once he is confident he is super. So he needs some tactical handling by the captain. Kohli, as good he was with the pacers, isn’t the same with the spinners.
3. He also has a tendency to bowl a four ball every other over. In tight situations, we can’t always afford it. If he can stop these rank long hops and be a bit more accurate, he should become our no.1 bowler.

Watching him bowl today was so much more fun than watching someone like Axar bowl. You knew something would happen every ball.

There was a valid reason behind dropping Kuldeep after 2019 WC. If you remember, Pandya got injured after that and Indian attack was Bumrah, Shami and Chahal. So, now if Pandya gets injured then the other all rounder, Jadeja has to play at 7. This leaves us with lack of options as Chahal was doing just better than Kuldeep so can't be dropped and you need Jadeja also and the two pacers were proper tailenders. So, we were in a situation where if we play Kuldeep in ODIs then we are left with three spinners and only two pacers.

I don't really recall how good Chahal was back then but he was probably performing better than Kuldeep so he was retained and then Jadeja was doing well too, that semi final knock and then later also his batting became good enough so they had no other option but to drop Kuldeep.

IND vs BAN 1st Test, Day 2: Kuldeep Yadav's Dream Comeback Puts Bangladesh On Mat

Kuldeep Yadav sizzled with an all-round performance as he helped put India firmly in the driver's seat on day two of the opening Test against Bangladesh on Thursday. Playing his first Test after more than 22 months, Kuldeep continued his 'birthday' party a day after turning 28, in his sensational run with the bat and ball. Batting at number nine, the left-hander first came up with a career-best 40 from 114 balls (5x4) in a 92-run eighth wicket partnership with veteran Ravichandran Ashwin (58; 113b) to push India to 404 in their first inning from an overnight score of 278/6.

Coming into bowl in the 25th over, the left-arm wrist spinner struck off his second ball as he flummoxed the Bangladesh batters with his wrong ones to end the day with figures of 10-3-33-4, a performance that is certain to regain his confidence.

At stumps on day two, Bangladesh were 133 for eight, trailing India by 271 runs. With two wickets in hand, the hosts still need 72 runs to avoid a follow-on.

First, it was Indian quick Mohammed Siraj who was on a song, as he rattled the Bangladesh top-order, dismissing the left-handed opening duo of Najmul Hossain Shanto (1), Zakir Hasan (20) and Litton Das en route to 9-1-14-3.

Siraj struck in the very first ball when he induced an edge off Shanto with an away going delivery.

Leading the pace department in absence of Mohammed Shami and Jasprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav then reduced Bangladesh to 5 for 2 inside the fourth over after inducing an inside edge off Yasir Ali.

Litton Das (24) showed glimpses of his form with some fluent drives but Siraj had the last say.

Both teams were also involved in a bit of banter especially after Das gave a 'I can't hear you' gesture after an elegant drive off Siraj.

The Indian pacer cleaned him up of the next delivery as he along with Kohli gave him a fiery send-off.

On a roll, Siraj also ended the dogged resistance of Hasan to reduce Bangladesh to 56/4.

The stage was just apt for Kuldeep to make inroads and the Indian did just that, dismissing Shakib Al Hasan when the Bangladeshi senior all-rounder played against the spin.

He then surprised newcomer Nurul Hasan with a wrong one and in the next ball nearly dismissed him LBW but the 'umpire's call' rule gave a breather to the Bangladeshi wicketkeeper.

It was not a rank-turner but he spun the ball square, extracted awkward bounce and the Bangladeshi batters looked all at sea negotiating Kuldeep at the fag end of the day.

"I was a bit nervous, I was very lucky to get the first wicket in the first over. Got the momentum back. After a couple of overs, I started feeling well, mixed my pace and variations, tried both the angles - over the wicket and round the wicket," Kuldeep said.

"I was getting proper turn, I was actually loving it. After I got injured, I started working on my rhythm, trying to be a bit quicker - that's helping me a lot. I am not compromising with the spin. "I didn't face any discomfort while batting. I thought it'll be good for batting. When you're a wrist-spinner bowling with the Kookaburra ball, you'll definitely get turn and bounce on such wickets," he added.

The opening session was all about Ashwin and Kuldeep who seized the opportunity with both hands coming up with an all-round show in absence of Ravindra Jadeja.

Kuldeep, who has a century and six fifties averaging 22-plus in first class cricket, got off the mark after 18 balls as he looked solid with his defence.

His slog sweep and reverse sweep shots also caught the attention in his knock off 114 balls with five fours.

Ashwin, who has five Test centuries including four against the West Indies, showed a lot of composure and maturity en route to his 13th Test half-century. Ashwin smashed two sixes and two fours in his 113-ball knock.

Ashwin made his intent clear stepping down to Mehidy for a six. Luck also favoured Ashwin when he survived an 'umpire's call' after left-arm spinner Taijul Islam had him trapped in front of the leg stump when he was on 34.

The duo hardly took a foot wrong pushing India past the 400-mark after the visitors resumed the day at 278 for 6 and lost overnight batter Shreyas Iyer (86) with the addition of just four runs to his total.

Having batted India out of a tricky spot on the opening day, Iyer once again failed to get to a well-deserved hundred.

That pace spearhead Ebadot Hossain was taken out of the attack after his impressive spell of 4-1-7-1 in the morning also helped the Indian cause.

Listen to the latest songs, only on JioSaavn.com

Kuldeep also oozed confidence as Ashwin was happy to take singles and give him the strike.

https://sports.ndtv.com/bangladesh-...av-takes-4-bangladesh-133-8-at-stumps-3609384

I don't think all 3 formats can be taken together. In T20Is and Tests they have been garbage. Regardless of opposition or conditions. In ODIs they have been excellent. Dominant at home, and fairly good and competitive away as well. The series win in South Africa is a real feather in the cap for them to have. And their performances in the last two ICC ODI tournaments is also nothing to scoff over. Which is good because an ODI World Cup in Asia is just around the corner.

Better than Ashwin in South Africa also... And he is a better batsman too.

Jadeja is great, and for sure, a better batter. But for you to act like Ashwin some average run-of-the-mill spinner who is not on Jadeja's level is absolutely ludicrous. For one thing, Jadeja has played one match in South Africa so no idea why you are even mentioning that. Secondly, his numbers in England and New Zealand are horrible. Thirdly, he hasn't won nearly as many matches for India as Ashwin has. Nor will he at 34 when he is playing all 3 formats and the IPL.

Ashwin has been delivering for India for a decade plus. He is a thinking man's cricketer who has always found ways to adapt his game and get better. He has 442 test wickets, secondly only to Anil Kumble for India. Every single team in the world would give an arm and a leg to have a spinner like Ashwin in their side, which is why it amazes me how you can be so ungrateful. And as good as Jadeja is, he will never win as many test matches for India as Ashwin has already won, nor will he take as many test wickets as him.

Last edited:
Jadeja is great, and for sure, a better batter. But for you to act like Ashwin some average run-of-the-mill spinner who is not on Jadeja's level is absolutely ludicrous. For one thing, Jadeja has played one match in South Africa so no idea why you are even mentioning that. Secondly, his numbers in England and New Zealand are horrible. Thirdly, he hasn't won nearly as many matches for India as Ashwin has. Nor will he at 34 when he is playing all 3 formats and the IPL.

Ashwin has been delivering for India for a decade plus. He is a thinking man's cricketer who has always found ways to adapt his game and get better. He has 442 test wickets, secondly only to Anil Kumble for India. Every single team in the world would give an arm and a leg to have a spinner like Ashwin in their side, which is why it amazes me how you can be so ungrateful. And as good as Jadeja is, he will never win as many test matches for India as Ashwin has already won, nor will he take as many test wickets as him.

It's just because Ashwin is a quiet decent guy he doesn't get appreciated. In reality he is an ATG.

Axar is playing in place of Jadeja not Kuldeep.

Usually we go with 3+2 . 3 seamers and 2 spinners. In BD we go with 2 seamers + 3 spinners. Once Jaddu is back Kuldeep might be sidelined. India not only looks at Ash-Jad bowlers. But all-rounders at home. If Ash leaves there is a good chance Sundar might walk into the side. But if they want spinners to be effective overseas finger spinners are not the best choice. We can draw distinction between Jaddu/Ash for all we care. But both are average. Ashwin bowled well in some matches but was unlucky with a few dropped chances. Jaddu was not as good as Ashwin with bat upto a point. In the last 3 or 4 years Jaddu has improved his batting massively. Also a gun fielder. It tilts the scale in his favor. But with the amount of injuries he is getting, i am not even sure he will play a lot of test matches going forward. Kuldeep and Sundar should repalce these two in the long run.

Ashwin is definitely Atg, he have won us more matches than anyone else in our cricket team, In test matches he's has been our mvp. I Don't what's wrong with our fans Ashwin easily India's best spinner in home conditions evem Better than kumble.

Ashwin is definitely Atg, he have won us more matches than anyone else in our cricket team, In test matches he's has been our mvp. I Don't what's wrong with our fans Ashwin easily India's best spinner in home conditions evem Better than kumble.

Highest man of the series by an Indian. As a total package he has been our best go to guy in crisis.
Lyon/Ashwin probably will be the two off spinners with good longevity. greatest spinner against left handers. Left arm spinners are taking over since we have more right handers than left

Kuldeep was so shabbily treated by Kohli as captain.

Wasnt Kuldeep the guy who was found out, had a breakdown in the middle of the IPL & dropped by his team?
That was after he was dropped by Kohli from India's test team despite him taking a 5-for in his last test innings at SCG!

Its such a shame that Kuldeep has played only 8 tests in approx 6 years.

That was after he was dropped by Kohli from India's test team despite him taking a 5-for in his last test innings at SCG!

Well, that’s part of the game. If people started having nervous breakdowns in league T20 because they were dropped from the test team, one can question whether the player is fit to play cricket. That’s the thing about mystery spinners - once you are found out you have to rework your whole game - maybe Kuldeep had to do that as well.

Last edited:
Also, i dont know why you guys are complaining- you guys are lucky you have a good crop of spinners. Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Chahal & even that new leg spinner - Bishnoi, I think are all good. You are spoilt for choices and here we are, lacking spinners even for our home pitches.

Well, that’s part of the game. If people started having nervous breakdowns in league T20 because they were dropped from the test team, one can question whether the player is fit to play cricket. That’s the thing about mystery spinners - once you are found out you have to rework your whole game - maybe Kuldeep had to do that as well.
Never said Kuldeep was totally blameless during that period.

However, those who closely followed Indian cricket during those days will vouch for it.

Kuldeep was flayed by marauding English bats (who doesn't) in WC '19 league game. But he was the one who paid the price for it more than anyone else.

BD all out for 150. A very handy lead of 254 runs is what we've.

BD batting is third class. Pitch is a bit up and down, but it’s not a 150 pitch. 250 -300 would have been reasonable.

Also, i dont know why you guys are complaining- you guys are lucky you have a good crop of spinners. Ashwin, Jadeja, Kuldeep, Chahal & even that new leg spinner - Bishnoi, I think are all good.
Not complaining, putting forth the facts. Kuldeep is such a unique bowler and we should encourage him all we can.

Mystery spinner? He is not a mystery spinner. He is a conventional chinaman bowler who can spin both ways.

As for you, you've got that bespectacled guy, Abrar Ahmed in your ranks. He seems to be very good.

For all his horror show in away tests, Yasir wasn't treated too well by your selectors. He could've been a threat on home pitches.

Kuldeep absence was more to do with domination of Ashwin/Jadeja also Kohli's strict policy of 4 pacers policy.

I think Bangladesh should start bowling negative line. LOL. Slow things down. Take it to Day 5.

Kuldeep absence was more to do with domination of Ashwin/Jadeja also Kohli's strict policy of 4 pacers policy.
Jadeja didn't play the England series at home, we had option of calling Kuldeep back but we opted for Axar. Why?

Jadeja didn't play the England series at home, we had option of calling Kuldeep back but we opted for Axar. Why?

Because Axar meanwhile had some success against England in India. And also played as a batsman. Now wait and watch, If they have to drop someone they will drop Axar.

As for you, you've got that bespectacled guy, Abrar Ahmed in your ranks. He seems to be very good.

For all his horror show in away tests, Yasir wasn't treated too well by your selectors. He could've been a threat on home pitches.

Too early to talk about Abrar - he is only two tests old & had a novelty factor. But yes, looks promising.

I am on the fence about Yasir, yes he could have been handy on Pakistani pitches - but he is too old to be invested in. I liked the fact that they are giving younger guys like Abrar the opportunity to perform.

Gill is playing with bat and pad together. A prime candidate for LBW. Not very convincing.

Bangladesh going to face a tough time in batting now that Tamim, Shakib, Mushfiq will all likely leave around same time.

Not many batters coming through like Liton who are making position their own.

Bowling looks in good health with guys like Miraj, Ebadot, Taskin

Tajul is bowling beautifully. Both batsmen look happy to survive against him.

I think Taijul is the best spinner from BD. He is the only Bangladeshi bowler to have one 8-fer and one 7-fer in Test.

But, he somehow doesn't get many chances. He should play all 3 formats.

It's just because Ashwin is a quiet decent guy he doesn't get appreciated. In reality he is an ATG.

Agreed. The mark of a great spinner is not mystery or getting ripping turn on a good day. It is the ability to deliver consistently for your team. As great as Kumble was, he was never at the center of the kind of test victories that Ashwin has been at, nor was his record as good Ashwin's is in India and a number of other countries. A big reason for that was India were not a very good team and bowling unit back then. But Ashwin has been there through some tough times as well from 2010-13. And he has been one of the reasons why they have evolved into an elite level test team.

When will India declare? Target of 350? 400? 450? More?

Think they will bat till Lunch Tomorrow. So that's another 90-100 overs from here, score 250 runs. Target around 530-540.

Don't think they are looking to declare today and that would be silly too with two full days remaining .

Last edited:
Think they will bat till Lunch Tomorrow. So that's another 90-100 overs from here, score 250 runs. Target around 530-540.

Don't think they are looking to declare today and that would be silly too with two full days remaining .

From Bangladeshi point of view, the later India declare, the better it is. They will then have less overs to deal with in order to save the Test (if they can).

Time for Rahul to score a useless 75 and cement his place in the team for the next series.

Oh wait, he is already the captain.

So will India declare after the lead crosses 500?
They should do it today, and take a wicket or two of Bangladesh before the day ends.

Time for Rahul to score a useless 75 and cement his place in the team for the next series.

Oh wait, he is already the captain.

KL should not be opening. He is worthless as an opener and much more effective at no 4 or 5. Don't know why our selectors never seem to learn that.

Pujara has now extended his test career till the end of Australia series at least.

Back