India end Day 1 of the first Test against New Zealand on a comfortable 258/4

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
ICC World Test Championship 2019-21 finalists India and New Zealand lock horns in the first of the two-match Test series in Kanpur.

Overview

India vs New Zealand, first Test
Green Park, Kanpur
25-29 November, 09:30 local time

India are all set to kick off their home campaign in the current iteration of the ICC World Test Championship as they host New Zealand for two Tests.

With several key players rested for the series, including captain Virat Kohli for the first game and vice-captain Rohit Sharma for the whole series, Ajinkya Rahane will take over the mantle of the skipper in their absence.

India will also be without Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammad Shami, Rishabh Pant (all rested) while KL Rahul had to pull out days before the first Test owing to a thigh strain.

The injury has opened the door for Shreyas Iyer, who will be making his debut in the longest format of the game, as confirmed by Rahane in the press conference ahead of the match.

Even without many Test regulars, India will fancy their chances at home where they have built a fortress of sorts. In the last 10 years, India have won 34 Tests at home and lost just four out of 44 matches.

If New Zealand are to dent that record, they will have to be prepared to face India's trial by spin.

Unlike India, New Zealand have their full strength squad available to them, bar a couple of Test regulars – Trent Boult (rested) and Devon Conway (hand injury). In fact, the Kiwis decided to rest Kane Williamson and Kyle Jamieson for the T20Is so as to keep them fresh for the red-ball series.

From the composition of the squad, it looks like New Zealand are prepared to fight fire with fire as they have packed the squad with four spinners, though only one of them (Mitchell Santner) has played a Test in India before. With Rachin Ravindra yet to play a Test match in his career, they will be hoping Ajaz Patel and William Sommerville, both of whom have played Tests in Asia before, can make a difference on spin-friendly tracks.

This will be New Zealand's best chance to break their 33-year-old hoodoo against India away from home in Tests – the Black Caps haven't won a game in the longest format in India since 1988.

Remember the last time

India and New Zealand created history the last time they met in red-ball cricket as the two teams clashed in the first-ever ICC World Test Championship final.

Asked to bat first, India could only post 217 in the first innings, thanks to vital 40s from Virat Kohli and Ajinkya Rahane. Kyle Jamieson was the wrecker in chief for the Kiwis as he ran through the Indian lineup to pick up a five-for.

In response, New Zealand managed to get a slender yet important lead of 32 runs. Devon Conway's fifty, Kane Williamson's 49 and crucial knocks from Kyle Jamieson and Tim Southee propelled the Black Caps to 249.

India had no answers to New Zealand's pace-bowling quartet in their second innings as they collapsed to 170 all out, with only Rohit Sharma and Rishabh Pant registering scores of 30 or more. After playing an important innings with the bat, Southee led the way with the ball a four-wicket haul.

Chasing 139 proved to be a mere formality for New Zealand as they finally got their hands on an ICC silverware and lifted the World Test Championship mace with an eight-wicket win.

What they said

Ajinkya Rahane (India captain): "Right now we are into the ICC Test championship. You have to make the most of the home advantage. In India we all know we are backing our bowlers to take 20 wickets. We are going to play on spin-friendly wickets. Batsmen will have to apply themselves. If they get set, they will have to convert it. That is the challenge as a batsman. You have to adapt to the situations and conditions. And then once you are set, try and get a big one. Yeah in future we are going to play on wickets that are spin-friendly."

Kane Williamson (New Zealand captain): "We know the strength of the Indian spin bowlers and they have been fantastic for a long period of time. For us, it’s looking to come up with different methods and ways to look to score and trying to be effective and build those partnerships which are important. Every player’s different, so their ways will be slightly different from one another but no doubt, a lot of thoughts have been going in to try and prepare as well as we can for some of the challenges, we know we are going to face."

==

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

5. Report abuse. If you see any post which is inappropriate, report it. Do not respond to it

India should win since their the home team, but maybe Kiwis, can pull an upset who knows, only time will tell. Re-match of the Icc test championship final match.

“ With several key players rested for the series, including captain Virat Kohli for the first game and vice-captain Rohit Sharma for the whole series, Ajinkya Rahane will take over the mantle of the skipper in their absence.

India will also be without Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammad Shami, Rishabh Pant (all rested) while KL Rahul had to pull out days before the first Test owing to a thigh strain.”

Seems like it will be India B or C.

New Zealand favourites, lol at Shreyas Iyer playing. He won't get into India's second string XI.

Let's see, India resting 5 first choice players + injuries. NZ's premier bowler and first choice all rounder opting out of the test series.

This for what is considered the premier format of the game. That too involving arguably the two best sides in the tests.

Does anyone even care about tests outside the Ashes? Are test matches still the premier format?

India should win since their the home team, but maybe Kiwis, can pull an upset who knows, only time will tell. Re-match of the Icc test championship final match.

Rahul, rohit ,Virat, pant, bumrah and shami are not playing this series . Now NZ have to win atleast 1 test otherwise so called golden generation of NZ is useless.

Rahul, rohit ,Virat, pant, bumrah and shami are not playing this series . Now NZ have to win atleast 1 test otherwise so called golden generation of NZ is useless.

I thought you said indias new players are the golden generation I see you already have excuses in case india loses. Have some more faith in ur team they should be able to win at home agaisnt new zealand so called golden generation

I thought you said indias new players are the golden generation I see you already have excuses in case india loses. Have some more faith in ur team they should be able to win at home agaisnt new zealand so called golden generation

We will likely not lose any test but just see once through NZ point of view. This is GOLDEN generation so NZ cricket if they can't win any test in india then they are useless.

India X1: Mayank, Gill, Pujara, Rahane, Iyer, Jadeja, Saha, Ashwin, Axar, Umesh & Ishant.
Should have Play Siraj instead of Ishant.

Nz is also playing with 3 spinners
New Zealand (Playing XI): Tom Latham, Will Young, Kane Williamson(c), Ross Taylor, Henry Nicholls, Tom Blundell(w), Rachin Ravindra, Tim Southee, Ajaz Patel, Kyle Jamieson, William Somerville

Should be exciting test match as NZ have quality players of spin . Latham , Williamson , taylor and Nichols are quality players .How good is young against Spinners?

We will likely not lose any test but just see once through NZ point of view. This is GOLDEN generation so NZ cricket if they can't win any test in india then they are useless.

They beat india in the finals when it mattered the most so their not useless if india loses at home I would say that is useless. But I don't think india will lose at home.

They beat india in the finals when it mattered the most so their not useless if india loses at home I would say that is useless. But I don't think india will lose at home.

England is home condition for NZ like UAE, srilanka is home condition for India .What is NZ Record in Australia ,india , South Africa and Pakistan??

Reminder for certain poster- India last lost a home Test against New Zealand was 1988 at Mumbai.

NZ is arguably the best team in tests. The best teams always find ways to win. That is what makes them the best. Add to this the fact the India is playing their C/D team.

Give some credit to NZ and their abilities.

6 players missing from the team of the XI that won at Lord's a few months back.

I see the move as careless, even a bit disrespectful of the New Zealand side, that's ranked the number 1 team in the world and are the reigning WTC champs.

I can see two outcomes out of this series - the Indian lackadaisical attitude bordering on arrogance might blow up in the face of the team (or) it might prove once again why India has the strongest bench strength in world cricket. I hope it's not the former.

Last edited:
So last time NZ won a test match in India was in 1988 when John Right was captain. Wow.

6 players missing from the team of the XI that won at Lord's a few months back.

I see the move as careless, even a bit disrespectful of the New Zealand side, that's ranked the number 1 team in the world and are the reigning WTC champs.

I can see two outcomes out of this series - the Indian lackadaisical attitude bordering on arrogance might blow up in the face of the team (or) it might prove once again why India has the strongest bench strength in world cricket. I hope it's not the former.

Don't know why Rohit and Pant were played Useless T20 series but they are not playing test series.Rohit and Pant were save us against England when they tour last time in india.

1 hour very important for NZ pacers as in morning time, there is some mosture in the pitch during winter time .

I feel like New Zealand have made a mistake picking 3 spinners. Wagner would have been a better option than Somerville against the Indian batsmen. In matches in India in the past 10 years, seam bowlers from SENA have gone at 29, while spinners from those nations have gone at 37.

India have won the toss and have opted to bat

New Zealand (Playing XI): Tom Latham, Will Young, Kane Williamson(c), Ross Taylor, Henry Nicholls, Tom Blundell(w), Rachin Ravindra, Tim Southee, Ajaz Patel, Kyle Jamieson, William Somerville

India (Playing XI): Shubman Gill, Mayank Agarwal, Cheteshwar Pujara, Ajinkya Rahane(c), Shreyas Iyer, Wriddhiman Saha(w), Ravindra Jadeja, Axar Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Ishant Sharma, Umesh Yadav

Rachin is son of owner of Indian cricket site, Ravi..what moment for a father

NZ is arguably the best team in tests. The best teams always find ways to win. That is what makes them the best. Add to this the fact the India is playing their C/D team.

Give some credit to NZ and their abilities.

I am giving them credit you have to read the thread I am being sarcastic to a certain poster

England is home condition for NZ like UAE, srilanka is home condition for India .What is NZ Record in Australia ,india , South Africa and Pakistan??

India is capable of playing in England and felt more like a home advantage for India due to crowd support also England was the venue that was chosen its not like it was played in New zealand

Real test for Jamison ,if he want to be considered one the best current bowler then he need to deliver here .

This generation of Indian batsman is very poor against spinners .omg low bounce already in 8th over .250+ is above par score here.

Last edited:
Wellington Firebirds all-rounder Rachin Ravindra has become the youngest New Zealand Test debutant since Ish Sodhi (Bangladesh, 2013), as the BLACKCAPS were asked to bowl in the first Test against India in Kanpur.

The 22-year-old will wear Test cap number 282 and bat at seven in a spin strong bowling line-up featuring Ajaz Patel, Will Somerville and pacemen Tim Southee and Kyle Jamieson.

Ravindra was presented his Test cap (picture attached) by Firebirds teammate Tom Blundell who has taken over the Test wicket-keeping gloves of the retired BJ Watling.

Will Young will open the batting in the absence of the injured Devon Conway

The match is the first for the BLACKCAPS in the new ICC World Test Championship cycle.

IND 69/1 (22) CRR: 3.14
Day 1: 1st Session

Thank God they played Gill! Otherwise the score wouldn't be moving an inch with this lineup!

Wellington Firebirds all-rounder Rachin Ravindra has become the youngest New Zealand Test debutant since Ish Sodhi (Bangladesh, 2013), as the BLACKCAPS were asked to bowl in the first Test against India in Kanpur.

The 22-year-old will wear Test cap number 282 and bat at seven in a spin strong bowling line-up featuring Ajaz Patel, Will Somerville and pacemen Tim Southee and Kyle Jamieson.

Ravindra was presented his Test cap (picture attached) by Firebirds teammate Tom Blundell who has taken over the Test wicket-keeping gloves of the retired BJ Watling.

Will Young will open the batting in the absence of the injured Devon Conway

The match is the first for the BLACKCAPS in the new ICC World Test Championship cycle.

At 1 point, Pakpassions rival site - the Indian one, the owner is a good guy, posts very little and he is used to post videos abt his kid rachin 12- 13 years ago

Today he is playing for NZ - who knew 1 day

Great batting by Shubman. Looks really a bright prospect for Ind. if India can post 300+ it would be diff for NZ

This may be a dumb question but what is Virat Kohli resting from? He’s sat out so many matches already this year

“ With several key players rested for the series, including captain Virat Kohli for the first game and vice-captain Rohit Sharma for the whole series, Ajinkya Rahane will take over the mantle of the skipper in their absence.

India will also be without Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammad Shami, Rishabh Pant (all rested) while KL Rahul had to pull out days before the first Test owing to a thigh strain.”

Seems like it will be India B or C.

Indian A maybe.

This may be a dumb question but what is Virat Kohli resting from? He’s sat out so many matches already this year
He is too tired to play.

How can anyone actually miss tests to play T20 is beyond me! And then Kohli shouts from every possible rooftop that tests are the real deal.

Was perfect chance to play some youngsters in this test series now that seniors were not too bothered to play test cricket. Instead we played had beens like Rahane, Pujara, Ishant, Saha etc.

Relax. We bat deep in this tests and in India, even Umesh yadav is a handy batsman.
But Kiwis have good bowlers like Southee and Jamieson in their ranks. And this time we don't have Pant to rescue us from collapses which is just round the corner.

But Kiwis have good bowlers like Southee and Jamieson in their ranks. And this time we don't have Pant to rescue us from collapses which is just round the corner.
I had seen Harbhajan Singh and Zaheer Khan whack better bowlers in India. And this pitch has already got lower bounce even by the 10th over and we got Aksar and Jadeja.

Last edited:
See Rahane save his test career now and totally deceive us during SA test series.

I had seen Harbhajan Singh and Zaheer Khan whack better bowlers in India. And this pitch has already got lower bounce even by the 10th over and we got Aksar and Jadeja.
Hope what you're saying turns out to be true.

It is unfortunate if home teams don't play their full strength sides! In this way any opposition team winning away becomes a farce! If SENA teams follow the same suit and don't play their full sides at home against India and if we win then it won't count (at least on PP)

India miss their successful opening pair (Rohit & Rahul). Even though its a home series, the continuation of a balanced side against top team is important to prepare well for another challenge (away test series). Gill should bat at 3 or 5. Pujara & Rahane should move away (if they cannot take responsibility & opportunity such as this, they are unfit)

India just doesn’t put big scores in tests anymore regardless of conditions. 4/5 time it’s gonna be a sub 300 score regardless of conditions

It is unfortunate if home teams don't play their full strength sides! In this way any opposition team winning away becomes a farce! If SENA teams follow the same suit and don't play their full sides at home against India and if we win then it won't count (at least on PP)

Relax it’s not that common. india played best available side in England series

Some fans were calling jamieson a swing bully as he played all his matches in new zealand and england.

he has proven he is an effective bowler in all conditions

Even Ashwin scored a hundred in the last home series against England.

The failure of the middle order probably won't matter much here and so will not get much attention but it will cost India heavily in SENA tours.

Though impact was umpire's call, that should have been given out by on field umpire. It was just straight enough to hit off stump.

Some fans were calling jamieson a swing bully as he played all his matches in new zealand and england.

Relax!

He hasn't proved anything as yet. This is the first ever time he has bowled in subcon conditions. Let him play and succeed in a few more tests in such conditions before passing a verdict.

Its just first day of the Test. Let him play more matches in Subcontinent and Australia then we can decide if he is effective in all conditions.

Even Ashwin scored a hundred in the last home series against England.

The failure of the middle order probably won't matter much here and so will not get much attention but it will cost India heavily in SENA tours.
You are right about SENA. We need to fix our pathetic middle order batting before SA series.

Advantages NZ at the lunch .can They bundled india around 220? If they can then NZ game to lose from there on

Though impact was umpire's call, that should have been given out by on field umpire. It was just straight enough to hit off stump.

Lol both call Impact and Hitting were umpire calls . If you watched full matches untill now then you also remembered Gill and Rahane were given out before they dismissed .

Last edited:
Is this a wicket that is likely to crumble? If so, India have probably already got enough and could declare now and still win the game.

Is this a wicket that is likely to crumble? If so, India have probably already got enough and could declare now and still win the game.

All wickets in India crumble...but the game has to at least get to end of day three, I can't see it going that way. I doubt NZ last that long.

Anyone have any ideas why Boult is not playing?

Lol both call Impact and Hitting were umpire calls . If you watched full matches untill now then you also remembered Gill and Rahane were given out before they dismissed .

Just because umpires had wrongly given out earlier doesn't mean they can't give out decision again. But I am not blaming umpire since it was umpire's call which can go both way.
I just meant that it looked straight enough to hit stump in real time.
Anyway umpire's call it is.

We need to get to at least 350 and we'll be relatively safe then.

Back