Pakistan reach 328/4 at stumps on Day 1 of the 1st Test against England

Pakistan did lose the grip on this test match. But still they haven't lost the plot. If they can bat at least 2 more sessions and put up 200-250 more runs. That will be a decent first innings score. (550-ish) All things considered.
They should try to get their as quick as possible. Like by the end of the 2nd session and declare. Gotta trust their bowling attack and give england the 3rd session and the entire 3rd day to bowl em out, Try for a follow on.

Saud needs to step up, prove why he's international material.

Rizwan is such a coward. 320 on the board still afraid to come out to bat for a couple of overs.

Harbinger of Doom theory:

I fear a collapse for Pakistan tomorrow - all out for about 390

England will hit 600

Pakistan will collapse under pressure.

Harbinger of Doom theory:

I fear a collapse for Pakistan tomorrow - all out for about 390

England will hit 600

Pakistan will collapse under pressure.
Been a tough 3 years for Pakistan Test cricket. That's why we see posts like these :dw

330 runs for 4 wickets. Put another 200-250 runs. Pitch will be harder to bat on batting last.

It's been Pakistan's day. 330/4 on first day will be acceptable to pretty much all teams while batting first.

Wickets will most likely come for PAK through scoreboard pressure than any massive deterioration in the pitch.

Unless Tony Hemmings has done something different - when do we see these god forsaken pitches actually cracking and breaking up ? Often they are about as good for batting on Day 5 as they are Day 1.

From here we should score 500 minimum.

Finally, this place is getting incredibly toxic. Do you guys actually enjoy cricket or is this an arena to settle personal scores ? Cricket is meant to be an escape from the stresses of life, not add to it.

You mean the exploits of bashing sri lanka which the likes of saud and rizwan too advantage of to cement their spot for the next 500 years?
I am on about the 160 that won pakistan a test match can you please tell me when Shan has done this over his long crap career.

Just caught up on the day’s highlights… must say that Pakistan has the most boring Test wickets of any major test playing nation. Well, time for Joe Root to capitalize on these wickets.

Wickets will most likely come for PAK through scoreboard pressure than any massive deterioration in the pitch.

Unless Tony Hemmings has done something different - when do we see these god forsaken pitches actually cracking and breaking up ? Often they are about as good for batting on Day 5 as they are Day 1.

From here we should score 500 minimum.

Finally, this place is getting incredibly toxic. Do you guys actually enjoy cricket or is this an arena to settle personal scores ? Cricket is meant to be an escape from the stresses of life, not add to it.
Exactly bhai. Few toxic individuals try to drag you into it when you don't even care

Tomorrow saud needs to get a 100, rest of batting needs to step up. Biggest worry is losing early wickets to new ball and batting negatively thereafter

They should try to get their as quick as possible. Like by the end of the 2nd session and declare. Gotta trust their bowling attack and give england the 3rd session and the entire 3rd day to bowl em out, Try for a follow on.

Saud needs to step up, prove why he's international material.
England will give away wickets. That's how they play. Stokes and McCullum also play for result. So time is not an issue in this Test match. What is an issue, is not having enough first innings runs up front before Day 2 ends.

But that is unlikely to be a problem for Pakistan because Shan's blitz momentum have given Pakistan plenty of time and opportunity that they should be able to put up 200 additional runs. Barring a ridiculous 50 runs collapse from here on.

England's bowlers were forced to toil hard in the sweltering Multan heat but Ollie Pope's side should be proud of their efforts on day one of the first Test, says Nasser Hussain

England managed to take four wickets but not before Pakistan's captain Shan Masood (151) and fellow centurion Abdullah Shafique (102) shared a mammoth 253-run stand for the second wicket.

The hosts were 328-4 at close of play with Gus Atkinson (2-70) accounting for a couple of wickets and Jack Leach (1-61) and Chris Woakes (1-58) taking one apiece.

"You cannot criticise Pope and the bowlers, they stuck to their tasks, they gave it everything, that is as tough as it gets as a bowling unit," said Hussain on Sky Sports Cricket.

"You can only do what they did today and England should be proud of that.

"You're walking off thinking you did well and that's the difference of playing at home and playing away from home.

"If you walk off in England and the opposition have got 328-4 first digs, a lot of the time you're out the game with the Dukes ball and in English conditions. Here, you're still in the game.

Source: Sky News

Jeetan Patel after the end of the day's plan in Multan shared following thoughts:

"Solid toil. I’m pretty proud of the boys to put in that stint in the last session. We spoke this morning about chasing the ball hard in the field, no matter what the day brings us. That’s such an easy thing to do, but in conditions like this, it’s easy to stop doing. What the boys did tonight was brilliant. It was a hell of an effort from the boys,"

"You always want one or two more [wickets], don’t you? Six down at the end of the day would have been amazing. But to have them one down at Tea and take three wickets in the last session really sets up tomorrow (Tuesday) morning for us."

On the pitch:

Patel added: "We thought it might nip around a bit more this morning just because it was fresh. May be, it did for five overs, almost like a one-day wicket. But, it just did not really keep the pace as we thought. Because of the grass cover, we thought it might have a bit more pace through the day. It's just the heat"

"But then, you still have to look to take 10 wickets and then the next 10 wickets (Second innings). So, we just have to keep looking at different ways -- whether it's different lengths and lines, keep finding ways to do it," he added.

View attachment 146624

Speaks a lot about Babar Azam with 100 plus inns to score only 2700 runs only the avg is 27 for a no.4. and it’s also one of the main reasons that Pak are losing test matches even against lower ranked teams.
That is the reason why team should not dependant only on 1 player.. we need to come out from this kingism dilemma and drop those players who are not performing.

batters without 50s in Test
(Since 2023)

22 - Mitchell Starc
21 - Nathan Lyon
18 - Prabath Jayasuriya
18 - Alzarri Joseph
17 - James Anderson
17 - BABAR AZAM *
15 - Josh Hazlewood
16 - Siraj
15 - Mark Wood
kohli had a 15 tests without a 50 and 3 years without a 100.

ten went 40 tests without a hundred.

It happens.

Form is temporary, Class is permanent.

Don't worry Babar will score.

Our focus needs to be winning the test rather than individual milestones.

With all of KP s experience you would of thought he would of been smart enough to wait till both sides have batted on this wicket before making a call.
KP is the last person you should expect any intelligence or smartness while speaking.

Pak likely to be bowled out for 450 at best.

England will hammer 600 within a day and half

you’d rather be in Pakistan’s position, but England have just about hung in there. I think we are going to see another 7/8 run-heavy sessions, and then maybe something interesting will happen towards the end of the game.

I think it was England’s day in the end. They should send Babar Azam a thank you cake as well.

How badly has BA regressed as a batsman ! A dross innings today and got out to what was really a harmless medium pace ball. Looks like he is short of confidence and has forgotten how to play.

Regardless of how flat the pitch is and how average the attack is, the pak batting line up will give their wickets away.

I still back England to win the match with pak allowing someone like Bashir to take a fifer in the 2nd innings

you’d rather be in Pakistan’s position, but England have just about hung in there. I think we are going to see another 7/8 run-heavy sessions, and then maybe something interesting will happen towards the end of the game.
These are roads. Bangladesh overcame there 445 and went on to win the match

These are roads. Bangladesh overcame there 445 and went on to win the match

if England can keep Pakistan to 450ish and not bat like a set of headless chickens, there’s a chance of a first innings lead and building some pressure on the fourth day.

Pakistan will win this series. I said it before as well.
If Pakistan go on to win this Test match then this innings of Shan Masood will be worthy of a MOTM. Would prove to be quite an innings then in hindsight.

If Pakistan go on to win this Test match then this innings of Shan Masood will be worthy of a MOTM. Would prove to be quite an innings then in hindsight.
Given the nature of the pitch, it could very well be a bowler because it will take some toil to take 20 wickets on this surface.

How badly has BA regressed as a batsman ! A dross innings today and got out to what was really a harmless medium pace ball. Looks like he is short of confidence and has forgotten how to play.

He has been out so many times now playing all around his legs; his bearings are disturbed by deliveries that are angled into him and I feel like it was an intended ploy from Woakes. Babar has regressed but I don’t feel he was all that to begin with, I think people really expected him to be kicking on during this phase of his career. But even when you look at his best knocks, the likes of Zack Crawley & Harry Brook already has as many, if not more in their young careers.

Babar is a highly flawed player who struggles against incoming balls and spin, but generally looks invincible on flat pitches and he can’t even score runs here either, his work ethic isn’t the best, he’s out of shape and he has let the hype get to his head.

Ultimately, it is a battle between a bad bowling attack vs an inexperienced one. Whoever gets 20 wickets on this flat as a pancake pitch will win this one.

Favourites don't always win. PAK were clear favourites to win it from there.
Exactly , would take that Winviz with Salt Bae fistful pinch of salt...end of D2 will give a better insight

Though might just stick a 10er on PCT win tonight

I believe it happened in that 1997 Colombo Test. SL scored 952.
Yes .. trust me I remember that.. but that didn’t happen in India, it happened in their home.
Which home country conceded 800 runs last to an opposition?

Also that game was drawn

Yes .. trust me I remember that.. but that didn’t happen in India, it happened in their home.
Which home country conceded 800 runs last to an opposition?

Also that game was drawn
Yeah I recollect that Colombo test- India made 500 odd runs in the first innings with centuries from Sachin, Dravid & Azhar & in reply SL kept batting on & on with a triple century from Jaysurya and a double century from Mahanama. Neither side played the second innings and the match was drawn. Pretty stupid from SL & kinda weird & pointless if you see from the point of view of result oriented tests these days.

Yeah I recollect that Colombo test- India made 500 odd runs in the first innings with centuries from Sachin, Dravid & Azhar & in reply SL kept batting on & on with a triple century from Jaysurya and a double century from Mahanama. Neither side played the second innings and the match was drawn. Pretty stupid from SL & kinda weird & pointless if you see from the point of view of result oriented tests these days.
Different times, Drawn weren’t frowned upon plus gives them mental edge.

I can’t even recall Lanka winning a single test in India..so the drawn and such huge scores made sense.

Different times, Drawn weren’t frowned upon plus gives them mental edge.

I can’t even recall Lanka winning a single test in India..so the drawn and such huge scores made sense.
Yeah it was just cricketing grandstanding, nothing else. That series was drawn ultimately. Sometimes it seems like that whole era was only about personal records.

Back