England reach 96/1 in reply to Pakistan's first Innings total of 556 at stumps on Day 2 of the first Test

Surprised I would expect england would go 7 runs per over. How come they are in 5 runs per over.

I m gonna miss Ben duckett here. He is one of my favorite batsmen in cricket along with Travis head.
Love watching him bat.

Sad to see Naseem Shah in current form… used to be such an accurate bowler.. looked threatening, even if he didnt get wickets.. but not the case now..

Pakistan isn't getting anything. The first wicket was a total fluke produced by brilliant fielding. Both these boys are scoring double centuries

I have eaten humble pie on Abrar
Pushed for his inclusion before but turns out he's just as awful as our other spinners if not worse

If England get on par, pak will collapse in the 2nd innings
Well, still 450 runs left.

2 wickets here and Eng may not get close to that. Needs to bowl tight and due to approach of Eng, chance will come even on flat deck.

Even in India, it often required real brutal balls by Bumrah , Akashdeep and even Kuldeep to get rid of Crawley.

Pace, movement, big turn .

You need X factor bowlers against him. So PAK should start praying for some luck.

Well, still 450 runs left.

2 wickets here and Eng may not get close to that. Needs to bowl tight and due to approach of Eng, chance will come even on flat deck.
But neither they created any chance nor they stopped the runs flow so its very difficult.

What is the purpose of this series if Pakistan produce total road ??
The purose is to avoid another loss and some Stat padding for the king and other out of form batsmen but he is so out of sorts he has failed even on this road. Considering the bowling resources Pakistan have, this pitch makes no sense. There aren't any 145+ bowlers to reverse and not great spinners either

The purose is to avoid another loss and some Stat padding for the king and other out of form batsmen but he is so out of sorts he has failed even on this road. Considering the bowling resources Pakistan have, this pitch makes no sense
These runs count for nothing if match is draw .

The problem has always been Pakistan's completely inability to produce balanced pitches. Maybe it's deliberate but I think it's climate as well. It was so much more enjoyable when we were based in the UAE.

Even in India, it often required real brutal balls by Bumrah , Akashdeep and even Kuldeep to get rid of Crawley.

Pace, movement, big turn .

You need X factor bowlers against him. So PAK should start praying for some luck.
Crawley was England's leading run scorer in the ashes and their tour of India. He is very underrated, one of their best players of pace bowling. Not the flat track bully some are making him out to be.

These runs count for nothing if match is draw .
Well a draw is not a defeat
Batsmen will end up with higher average
Anyway both the teams have no chance of making it to WTC final. I am sure, England will look to tire out Pakistan bowlers in this match and then go for victory next match if they win the toss

Crawley was England's leading run scorer in the ashes and their tour of India. He is very underrated, one of their best players of pace bowling. Not the flat track bully some are making him out to be.
Yep. Ashwin said that India found it harder to bowl to him than anyone else.

Why is anyone surprised about Pakistan getting smashed here?

Both teams will get smashed on such a pitch. Not only Pakistan. It might have been a different story if England had won the toss

Another disgraceful pitch. Nothing for the bowlers. They can only buy a wicket if the batsman really plays a bad shot.

I expect England to score in excess of 400 easily here even without the services of Duckett.

Pakistan is scared of losing to England. So they prepared an extreme docile pitch. Not the fault of bowlers that they are going at 5 an over.

I don't understand Pak cricket fans. PCB prepared green wickets vs Bangladesh and lost 2-0. Everyone here bashed PCB, players, pitch curators etc. Now they produced roads and fans are still whining. Just accept that Pakistan at this moment lack quality players to play competitive cricket. Road pitches will give you draw but atleast Babar n co. Will start pad and boost their rankings and records. Do you seriously believe Shan n com would have scored 500 of pitch had help for seamers? Woakes is no Anderson but he is good enough to pick 5ers on helpful wickets. Batting wise, Root n co. are miles ahead of Pakistani batters. This is best for Pakistan cricket at this moment.

Salman Ali Agha’s third Test century continues to put Pakistan in a commanding position as England trail by 460 runs with nine wickets in hand at the close of second day’s play of the first Test match at the Multan Cricket Stadium

The touring side started off their innings trailing by 556 runs, and lost their captain Ollie Pope for naught after Aamir Jamal took a superb catch off the bowling of Naseem Shah. After Pope’s departure, Zak Crawley (64 not out, 64b, 11x4s) and Joe Root (32 not out, 54b, 2x4s) got together and the pair added an unbroken 92-run partnership for the second wicket. England will start off the third day’s proceedings with 96 for one in 20 overs.

Earlier, resuming their first innings at the overnight score of 328 for four in 86 overs, Pakistan were all out for 556 in 149 overs in the final session. Right-handed batter Salman Ali Agha, playing his 15th Test and coming to bat at number eight, scored an unbeaten 104 off 119 balls, which included 10 fours and three sixes.

Earlier, in the day, Saud Shakeel (35) and night-watchman Naseem Shah (0) started their innings and went on to add 64 runs for the fifth wicket. After Naseem’s (33, 81b, 1x4, 3x6s) departure in the 106th over, Mohammad Rizwan (0, 12b) soon followed him as Pakistan were 393 for six in 108.5 overs.

At that juncture of the game, Saud was joined by Salman and the pair stitched a 57-run partnership for the seventh wicket. Saud, after scoring 82 off 177 balls, including eight boundaries was dismissed by Shoaib Bashir. Salman, who once again batted smartly with the lower-order, knitted 85 runs for the ninth wicket with Shaheen Shah Afridi (26, 49b, 2x4s, 1x6).

For England, left-arm spinner Jack Leach went for 160 runs and took three wickets, while debutant Brydon Carse and right-arm pacer Gus Atkinson grabbed two wickets apiece.

Scores in brief:

Day 2 of 5; England trail by 460 runs at the Multan Cricket Stadium

Pakistan 556 all out, 149 overs (Shan Masood 151, Salman Ali Agha 104 not out, Abdullah Shafique 102, Saud Shakeel 82, Naseem Shah 33, Babar Azam 30, Shaheen Shah Afridi 26; Jack Leach 3-160, Brydon Carse 2-74, Gus Atkinson 2-99)

England 96-1, 20 overs (Zak Crawley 64 not out, Joe Root 32 not out; Naseem Shah 1-29)

Pretty much as expected day. Pakistan did well batting and reaching 550. England as usual batting at 5 rpo.

They should score 450 more runs tomorrow. Given the pitch doesn't suddenly break all of a sudden. That will clear off the massive 550 lead.

Now depending on the bowling discipline of Pakistani bowlers. That will tell the direction of this test match. If they are smart about it. They can get England all out tomorrow by the end of day. Despite England taking off all of the lead. But if they bowl stupidly without any discipline. Expect England to be max 4 down by the end of 3rd day's play. With the score looking a bit like 530/4 (105 Overs). That will be troubling signs for Pakistan then.

England then would be in a position to score and take a quick lead of 200-250. That will basically be curtains for Pakistan then. Because trying to bat 1.5 Days of a test match just to survive with cracks also opening up - would mean end.

Best case scenario for Pakistan. England getting bowled out at 400.

Worst case scenario for Pakistan. England ending at 530/4 at the end of Day 3.

Rizwan was invited for biryani at Misbah’s house. Misbah gave him tons of advices. Look at the result. Misbah trying to flunk Rizwan to make space for his son!

Pretty much as expected day. Pakistan did well batting and reaching 550. England as usual batting at 5 rpo.

They should score 450 more runs tomorrow. Given the pitch doesn't suddenly break all of a sudden. That will clear off the massive 550 lead.

Now depending on the bowling discipline of Pakistani bowlers. That will tell the direction of this test match. If they are smart about it. They can get England all out tomorrow by the end of day. Despite England taking off all of the lead. But if they bowl stupidly without any discipline. Expect England to be max 4 down by the end of 3rd day's play. With the score looking a bit like 530/4 (105 Overs). That will be troubling signs for Pakistan then.

England then would be in a position to score and take a quick lead of 200-250. That will basically be curtains for Pakistan then. Because trying to bat 1.5 Days of a test match just to survive with cracks also opening up - would mean end.

Best case scenario for Pakistan. England getting bowled out at 400.

Worst case scenario for Pakistan. England ending at 530/4 at the end of Day 3.
They only have 2 spinners, One is abrar who Crawley and every batter known to man will maul.

And Agha isn't doing anything.

And the pacers don't even have fitness, Naseem got tired today after bowling 5 overs lol. One would think it was pakistan bowling all the day and not the other way around.

After scoring 550 runs? Likely to be a draw if Eng puts a big score as well.
Like I said before England would like to get as close to Pak's score in less than 50 overs Pak played to get there.

That given Pak can be in batting by the mid session on Day 4 and crumble with a lead of 100.

England will declare behind lead to give a chance at a result. Does Pakistan want a result is what will decide the test.

80% draw, 20% Pak win at this point.

England will declare behind lead to give a chance at a result. Does Pakistan want a result is what will decide the test.

What? No they won't. Why on earth would they do that? They'll either take a lead or be bowled out

Salman Ali Agha in a post Day 2 presser answered following Queries:

On his quick knock after slow start in the first session today
:

No there was no such plan (to go and attack). I generally attack spinners and that is part of my game and playing style. I usually take them (spinners) on and the same way I scored quick runs against them in the process but there was no particular plan behind it.

Can this Test match produce any result?

Definitely, Currently there has not been much deviation (swing for bowlers) in the pitch yet. But if you observe the wicket, the cracks are opening there so later on tommorow or the day after tomorrow we may see ball deviating much and definitely that will help produce result in this Test.

Q: Will England continue with their attacking approach tomorrow and how will your team respond to it?

Well we were expecting this aggressive (batting) approach from England. They have been playing this way for the last 2 to 3 years. Our coaches will sit down to sketch out a plan against it but definitely we shall try to ensure that they do not score quick runs tomorrow as they lose wickets in quick succession whenever they fail to do so.

Q: England have conceded 500 thrice before in Bazball era and have won on both the prior occasions. So will they win against Pakistan this time too bearing in mind result in Rawalpindi in 2022 and the current nature of pitch?:

Well, one thing is for sure. Whenever you play against England, you get results anyway. It is their (England's) habit to extract results from any situation. So we are expecting them to create such sort of situations ahead which will lead to results in this Test and likewise we also desire the same. So God willing, we shall win this time.

Q:Thoughts on Chris Woakes catch of Salman Ali Agha at boundary that eventually was declared a six:

Initially, I thought it was out and was walking back to the dressing room. But then I heard from umpire that he made contact with the boundary rope and it wasn't out. I couldn't see the replay then but now definitely would revisit it.

Q: So was today a lucky day for you?

Yeah that's how I feel. You score a hundred and things go your way so definitely today was my day.

Q:On challenge of rotating strike with Naseem Shah before end of every over:

England is a very challenging side and whenever you play against them then you need to be at the top of your game. I have been playing with the tail (tail enders) for two years now so I had the idea how to manage things whenever a tail ender comes. So it was normal stuff for me. Even you can say that the tail enders bring the best out of me and in such situations I do know what I am doing.

Q:Are you happy with how things stand at the end of Day 2?

Well if you score like 566 runs then you are always in a good position. I think we are in the same at the moment as they are still like some 470 runs behind. And in Test cricket you never know what happens tomorrow and Test cricket is all about approaching the game session by session. So if in a session you claim like 3 to 4 wickets then things could change completely. So we are hoping for the best tomorrow and let's see how things go.

What? No they won't. Why on earth would they do that? They'll either take a lead or be bowled out
I have seen them do that before. They will challenge Pakistan to set them a target with an aggressive declaration. That would be mind games and pressure back as Pakistan would have to come up with a reasonable target.

Obviously game right now is in Pakistan’s court to bowl them out and win this clean.

I have seen them do that before. They will challenge Pakistan to set them a target with an aggressive declaration. That would be mind games and pressure back as Pakistan would have to come up with a reasonable target.

Obviously game right now is in Pakistan’s court to bowl them out and win this clean.
I have never seen them declare early against pakistan. Last time they smashed 500 in a day and bowled pakistan out like a billion times.

Granted they had a superior attack back then

Salman Ali Agha's thoughts on Chris Woakes catch of Salman Ali Agha at boundary that eventually was declared a six:

Initially, I thought it was out and was walking back to the dressing room. But then I heard from umpire that he made contact with the boundary rope and it wasn't out. I couldn't see the replay then but now definitely would revisit it.

Salman Ali Agha's thoughts on Chris Woakes catch of Salman Ali Agha at boundary that eventually was declared a six:

It was not out imo

They can easily score another 500 on day 3 and even can declare on same day to make pak bat for like 5 overs. Pak batters will crumble for sure in 2nd innings. This match is going for a draw or england will win.

I think the last partnership between Agha and Abrar may have annoyed the visitors (players, dug out, comms team and fans). A pointless little partner where Pakistan were not even trying to score runs fast and just keeping England out there for no reason.

They will repay this with interest now. I recon a pakistan will be in the field for the next 150 overs in this Test match.

I think the last partnership between Agha and Abrar may have annoyed the visitors (players, dug out, comms team and fans). A pointless little partner where Pakistan were not even trying to score runs fast and just keeping England out there for no reason.

They will repay this with interest now. I recon a pakistan will be in the field for the next 150 overs in this Test match.
Ofcourse lol, their batting till day 4. And by the time the pitch spices up, game over. I see a Bangladesh repeat or a draw on the cards.

In no universe is pakistan winning with their rubbish bowlers.

Crawley is the key wicket in my opinion. Looked absolute class tonight. If he gets started back up again tomorrow and doesn’t make a mistake then he can get a monster score on this pitch. His career record is skewed by a poor start, he’s a quality player and one of England’s best bats.

His career record is skewed by a poor start, he’s a quality player and one of England’s best bats.
Nope. His record has always been like this. Infact at the starting point of his career, he averaged 40+.

He's a hack. You plug his scoring shots away or he bats on non flat surfaces. He falls. There's a reason why despite a Shan Masood-esque average he's opening for England. Ben and Bazz like him. He suits their style of BazzBall play.

Used to have a lot of issues but he has improved. Crawley is England’s highest run scorer across the last 2 major series - in India (averaged 40) and v Australia (averaged well over 50). A batsman can’t perform so consistently across 10 Tests against quality opposition and be a hack.

They're being stupid. They should be looking to bat 180 odd overs and bury Pakistan even worse than what happened to them .

England batting 180 overs would have them on about 900/6 :D they couldn’t and wouldn’t do it. Will be 125 overs absolute maximum from them. England scored 592 against Australia in the Ashes and that only took them 107 overs.

Ollie Pope is just mediocre all around.

He is your classic doesn’t score for ages, about to get dropped, pulls a hundred out of the bag, keeps his place for a while longer and goes back to being rubbish player.

We cannot judge the quality of a batter on a pitch like this.

I was hoping we would make a 250 max runs pitch but on this road 700 is possible.

PCB have obviously chickened out after the BD debacle and playing for the draw.

We cannot judge the quality of a batter on a pitch like this.

I was hoping we would make a 250 max runs pitch but on this road 700 is possible.

PCB have obviously chickened out after the BD debacle and playing for the draw.
They forgot how to win a Test match. Especially taking 20 wickets.

This economy is the problem.

1728404206952.png
England had Jack Leach who provided them the much needed control and bowled tightly. Pakistan so far today has looked toothless when it comes to bowling tight lines and making the batters work hard for their runs.

There is another way out of this trouble though. That requires Abrar to be clever. England will always go for attacking shots. That's how they play. If he sensible with his game-plan and field placement. He can essentially buy wickets here with the same economy rate. 90/0 in 13 overs for him could turn into 90/2 in 13 overs.

View attachment 146663
England had Jack Leach who provided them the much needed control and bowled tightly. Pakistan so far today has looked toothless when it comes to bowling tight lines and making the batters work hard for their runs.

There is another way out of this trouble though. That requires Abrar to be clever. England will always go for attacking shots. That's how they play. If he sensible with his game-plan and field placement. He can essentially buy wickets here with the same economy rate. 90/0 in 13 overs for him could turn into 90/2 in 13 overs.
Bro, Abrar's issue is that he's slow as molasses hence even if his delivery turns a bit it's not an issue.

He was new when he arrived and England didn't have an answer at the time, Everyone has figured him out now.

Field placements ain't doing anything when Crawley has all the time in the world to dispatch women cricket speed balls

Pakistan should have taken sajid Khan instead.

View attachment 146663

I watched a bit of Abrar. He was bowling pie after pie, it was disgusting to watch. Made Usama Mir look like prime Robert Croft.

Shan needs to be smart and use all his options with Saim , Salman Ali and Saud.

Sometimes you need part timers to get a breakthrough and then bring back the specialists.

Field placings are going to be important. ring field with short mid on , mid off and midwicket.

A couple of maiden overs and the english batters will play rash shots.

England batting 180 overs would have them on about 900/6 :D they couldn’t and wouldn’t do it. Will be 125 overs absolute maximum from them. England scored 592 against Australia in the Ashes and that only took them 107 overs.
Obviously not at 5 RPO. But all your fast bowlers are in the red zone as Carse told Sky Sports and Duckett is injured. Pakistan are a bowler light as well and you will rarely get a pitch amenable to batting time like this one. They need to cash in and tire out Pakistan's main bowlers.

I watched a bit of Abrar. He was bowling pie after pie, it was disgusting to watch. Made Usama Mir look like prime Robert Croft.
That's what I'm saying. He has plenty of runs to play. He needs to perform now. Tomorrow is a big day for him as a Test spinner for Pakistan. If he can re-asses things quickly and use a bit of brain. He can pick wickets.

Shan needs to be smart and use all his options with Saim , Salman Ali and Saud.

Sometimes you need part timers to get a breakthrough and then bring back the specialists.

Field placings are going to be important. ring field with short mid on , mid off and midwicket.

A couple of maiden overs and the english batters will play rash shots.
Exactly. All is not lost yet. England will play in their BazzBall fashion. Make them get frustrated. Like Leach did with Rizwan. They have two pressures on the back a) Chasing 550+ runs and b) Playing Cricket in BazzBall style only (Which is self inflicted).

Why in the world Eng will decalre when pitch is better to bat and look to score when pitch may turn later. No one will want to make their job harder intentionally.

Eng will simply try to score as much and as fast.

Pakistan will just dead bat to get a draw. Pakistan is not going to get inspired to set a reasonable target.

Hard to see where the wickets are coming from.

Should bowl a negative line like South Africa and New Zealand, let England force the issue and get out

Exactly. All is not lost yet. England will play in their BazzBall fashion. Make them get frustrated. Like Leach did with Rizwan. They have two pressures on the back a) Chasing 550+ runs and b) Playing Cricket in BazzBall style only (Which is self inflicted).
Mate they ain't gonna get frustrated. They were scoring freely.

You need tight line and length for that which pakistan doesn't have.

Secondly their not just bazzball players. Duckett, root and brook are professional test players. Their not a bunch of hacks and frankly neither is Crawley given his avg against India which includes bumrah.

The only pressure they have is the scorecard but they know full well on this pitch it's not tough. They've already reached 96 in 20 overs without any worries.

That one wicket was also a fluke. It was a rubbish delivery but jamal took the catch of a lifetime.

I hope he positively increases his average with a rapid double ton tomorrow.
He will, I can't see these jokers dismissing root even on a minefield let along with phata wicket.

I saw the bowling today it was rubbish. The one wicket was a fluke due to some insane fielding

Eng still favourites, Pakistan attack is abysmal and not as fit as Eng. Tough days ahead for Gillespie

England will come close to Pakistan’s score on day 3.

Day 4 will decide the fate of this test match.

England will come close to Pakistan’s score on day 3.

Day 4 will decide the fate of this test match.
450 runs in a day is quite difficult... maybe on day 4 they will get closer to this score so last session of day 4 will decide where this game is heading.

To win in the Subcontinent, having quality spinners is the key. This is where Pakistan suffers the most i.e. the lack of impactful spinners. Even Bangladesh has better, experienced more impactful spinners than Pakistan.

Back