England reach 239/6 in reply of Pakistan's first Innings total of 366 at stumps of Day 2 of the second Test

Have you seen Pakistan 2nd inn efforts in vast majority of tests in recent times. You want to talk about reality, its there to see. Pakistan have generally batted poorly in 2nd inns of test matches in recent times. Nothing to do with pessimism
you did not answer my question ....

275-300 runs to defend is needed for Pakistan.

Need to take wickets of tail quickly.

If Eng gets close then it will become one inning shoot out and given how Pakistan has been batting in 3rd innigns recently, it may become tough despite Eng batting last.

Spinners helped Pakistan finish the day two of the second Multan Test on a strong note as England reached 239-6 in 53 overs, trailing by 127 runs, on Wednesday at the Multan Cricket Stadium

In reply to Pakistan’s first innings total of 366 all out, England’s charge with the bat was led by Ben Duckett, who struck his fourth Test hundred (114, 129b, 16x4s), before England lost four quick wickets for just 14 runs in the final hour of the last session.

After Zak Crawley (27, 36b, 3x4s) and Duckett put on a 73-run opening stand, Noman Ali drew the first blood removing the former caught behind in the 13th over.

Ollie Pope, who departed for 29 off 37 balls with the help of four fours in the 24th over, was Sajid’s first prey as a sharp turning delivery castled his stumps bringing an end to the 52-run second-wicket partnership.

Joe Root (34, 54b, 2x4s) and Duckett stitched a fluent 86-run third-wicket stand off 108 balls as England marched on while the latter also brought up his century off 120 balls. Pakistan struck back with four wickets within 18 balls to leave 225-6 as Sajid and Noman landed regular blows.

Sajid, who was brought on for his third spell at the end of 39th over of innings, bowled Root, who dragged the ball onto his stumps. An over later, in the 44th over of the innings, Duckett handed the ball to Salman Ali Agha at first slip off Sajid, while on the last ball of the same over, Harry Brook (9, 9b, 2x4s) was stunned as a turning ball crashed into his stumps.

Ben Stokes’ five-ball stay on the crease was cut short by Noman as Abdullah Shafique grabbed the catch at short leg. Jamie Smith (12 not out, 33b, 2x4s) and Brydon Carse (2 not out, 19b) carefully saw off the remaining 52 balls in the day as their team finished with 239-6 in 53 overs.

Earlier, Pakistan added 107 runs for five wickets to their overnight score of 259-5, off 33.3 overs as Mohammad Rizwan (41, 97b, 5x4s) departed in the third over of the morning. Valuable contributions from Aamir Jamal (37, 69b, 4x4s), Noman Ali (32, 61b, 5x4s) and Salman Ali Agha (31, 53b, 5x4s) as Pakistan went past the 350-run mark.

Jamal also put on 38 runs for seventh-wicket with Salman and 49 runs for the ninth wicket with Noman to frustrate England’s bowlers before they wrapped up Pakistan’s first innings in 123.3 overs.

England’s ability to chase down a score on a turning track in the 4th innings is being overestimated.

On a flat pitch and/or at home, fair enough England are a very good team batting last as the records and data demonstrate. A chase of up to 350 could be comfortably achieved.

But this pitch is ragging now and unlikely to improve. Pakistan also have a bit of momentum in their favour after playing with zero confidence for so long.

I think the lead conceded by England will be around 70, then if Pakistan can put another 180 on the board in response, this one is all over.

Forget 250. Even 150 to win in the final innings here would be super tough in my opinion. England if they’re chasing that might get over the line with 3 wickets left, but I still consider that optimistic.

It is Pakistan’s Test to lose.

England’s ability to chase down a score on a turning track in the 4th innings is being overestimated.

On a flat pitch and/or at home, fair enough England are a very good team batting last as the records and data demonstrate. A chase of up to 350 could be comfortably achieved.

But this pitch is ragging now and unlikely to improve. Pakistan also have a bit of momentum in their favour after playing with zero confidence for so long.

I think the lead conceded by England will be around 70, then if Pakistan can put another 180 on the board in response, this one is all over.

Forget 250. Even 150 to win in the final innings here would be super tough in my opinion. England if they’re chasing that might get over the line with 3 wickets left, but I still consider that optimistic.

It is Pakistan’s Test to lose.
4th innings chase is always difficult on a turning track even against a lone spinner. England's best bet was taking a small lead in the first innings. They were good upto a point. Loss of 4 wickets for 15 runs or so effectively put them in a spot of bother. That mad 30 minutes of play is going to decide the outcome of this Test.

The first session is huge.

They need to wrap this up quickly, it's hard to trust Pakistani batsman if England somehow manages a lead.

That mad 30 minutes of play is going to decide the outcome of this Test.

Yes, I think so. Those of us who have been watching Test cricket for a long time / too long have seen this sort of thing many times before, where some random session or half-session across the otherwise standard 3, 4, 5 days is what ultimately decides the outcome.

Back