India reach 233/6 at Stumps on Day 1 of 1st Test against Australia

So basically we batted 20 overs, lost a couple and got next to nothing to show for in the scoreboard, which is why I am against wasting too many deliveries even in tests.

Well they have got the ball to lose shine and get softer. Time for Kohli and Pujara to settle down.

Overall, I find Pujara very impressive. It may yet become easier for him.

So basically we batted 20 overs, lost a couple and got next to nothing to show for in the scoreboard, which is why I am against wasting too many deliveries even in tests.

So, you want him to get out rather than wasting too many deliveries??

Anybody like Isa Gua comments? Half the time I feel she doesn't know what she is talking about.

This is why I never support the idea of "weathering the storm" by going into a complete shell. This approach only works for players such as Pujara and Azhar Ali (of yesteryears) with near flawless technique and unusually strong temperament.

You are bound to get delivery with your name on it eventually - better you've scored some runs by that time.

With so much T20 being played, the risk around aggressive batting has diminished and the reward is greater. It is certainly a viable strategy to attack, with sense of course, in the face of high pressure!

This Pujara guy is losing the game for India - if he bats like this, how can India declare at Tea?

This Pujara guy is losing the game for India - if he bats like this, how can India declare at Tea?

I hope you are trolling because one can't go more wrong than that. Who on earth would have posted 250 runs till tea to think of declaration?

They are doing a great job, against highest quality attack for the condition. It could have easily ended like 62/5 at lunch. Yes, there can be collapse and not much on board, but Pujara has taken out 25 overs of new ball, if Indian middle order can't take the advantage of that, it's not his fault.

I hope you are trolling because one can't go more wrong than that. Who on earth would have posted 250 runs till tea to think of declaration?

He was mocking the great and humble [MENTION=132916]Junaids[/MENTION]

What 250, even 170/6d can do the job in D/N Test .... you know.

So, you want him to get out rather than wasting too many deliveries??

I am all about putting up a positive start. Not sure if you know but it is entirely possible to bat at 3-3.5/over. I would much rather have 75/3 than 35/2 because by the time they reach 75 with this pace they will lose a couple more. It just takes one ball after all.

This is why I never support the idea of "weathering the storm" by going into a complete shell. This approach only works for players such as Pujara and Azhar Ali (of yesteryears) with near flawless technique and unusually strong temperament.

You are bound to get delivery with your name on it eventually - better you've scored some runs by that time.

With so much T20 being played, the risk around aggressive batting has diminished and the reward is greater. It is certainly a viable strategy to attack, with sense of course, in the face of high pressure!

I agree completely.

I am all about putting up a positive start. Not sure if you know but it is entirely possible to bat at 3-3.5/over. I would much rather have 75/3 than 35/2 because by the time they reach 75 with this pace they will lose a couple more. It just takes one ball after all.

The bowling is too good to reach 75/3 till lunch, I don't understand what is hard to understand here. We would have been 62/5 not 75/3 if we would have looked to bat at 3-3.5 rate.

The only thing that you could argue against Pujara is lack of strike rotation which I feel could have been improved by him but then he is not the most skillful around and that's why he doesn't play LOI cricket. However, what he does is something others are incapable off and that was the need of hour.

Thinking that because a collapse will happen after dinner doesn't mean you make collapse happen by lunch only :yk.

A lot depends on these two batsmen. Vihari and Saha are not that dependable.

They are doing a great job, against highest quality attack for the condition. It could have easily ended like 62/5 at lunch. Yes, there can be collapse and not much on board, but Pujara has taken out 25 overs of new ball, if Indian middle order can't take the advantage of that, it's not his fault.

Pujara's game is built like that and that is absolutely fine, just that I personally do like going into shell from ball 1 type of cricket. Pitch has no demons, entirely possible to bat at 2.5-3 and get some runs on the board.

First session claimed by Aussies. India haven’t got many on the scoreboard and also lost two wickets. Hard work ahead for Pujara and Kohli

The bowling is too good to reach 75/3 till lunch, I don't understand what is hard to understand here. We would have been 62/5 not 75/3 if we would have looked to bat at 3-3.5 rate.

The only thing that you could argue against Pujara is lack of strike rotation which I feel could have been improved by him but then he is not the most skillful around and that's why he doesn't play LOI cricket. However, what he does is something others are incapable off and that was the need of hour.

Thinking that because a collapse will happen after dinner doesn't mean you make collapse happen by lunch only :yk.

Generally agree with this

However saying Pujara isn't very skilled is completely wrong. He is very skilful in the way he plays with soft hands, and against the spin. Just because he is less flashy doesn't mean that he isn't skilful. His mental game can also be considered a skill

Surely Kohli must take the initiative in this next session and get some runs on the board before that twilight session and the possibility of a collapse.

Generally agree with this

However saying Pujara isn't very skilled is completely wrong. He is very skilful in the way he plays with soft hands, and against the spin. Just because he is less flashy doesn't mean that he isn't skilful. His mental game can also be considered a skill

I meant in terms of strike rotation and counter-attacking. He is very skillful vs spin.

Many said Adelaide pitch is not bouncy but this pitch has a lot of bounce.
Even good length balls are bouncing.

Surely Kohli must take the initiative in this next session and get some runs on the board before that twilight session and the possibility of a collapse.

True, these aha uhoo defense will be meaningless if we don't have runs on the board. Putting bad and semi bad deliveries away is absolutely crucial in a potentially low scoring games like this. Hope we up the ante a bit the next session, scoring at 2.5 is very much possible without taking a single risk.

They look so scared, the Indian batsmen. Maybe they can go a little bit aggressive against Lyon or Green.

Many said Adelaide pitch is not bouncy but this pitch has a lot of bounce.
Even good length balls are bouncing.

Not really, we have seen edges not carrying so the wicket is a bit slow and even the bounce is usual nothing extravagant.

"Should be fine enough to go all the way", Cummins easily picks it up inside the boundary.

Wonderful commentary from Isha.

True, these aha uhoo defense will be meaningless if we don't have runs on the board. Putting bad and semi bad deliveries away is absolutely crucial in a potentially low scoring games like this. Hope we up the ante a bit the next session, scoring at 2.5 is very much possible without taking a single risk.

That’s easier said than done though. Surely by calling it a low scoring game, it implies scoring at 2.5 “without taking a single risk” against a bowling attack like this is not so easy.

I do think however that Kohli can at some point soon become a little more expansive, especially since Pujara will anchor and bat until the new year if he wants to.

We know that the ball and the surface are less bowler-friendly than for the first three Adelaide Day/Night Tests.

If India can bat til halfway through tomorrow - ie bowl under lights with a new ball - this will be vindicated.

But if they make less than 300, and lose the ability to use a new ball under lights, it will not have been helpful.

We know that the ball and the surface are less bowler-friendly than for the first three Adelaide Day/Night Tests.

If India can bat til halfway through tomorrow - ie bowl under lights with a new ball - this will be vindicated.

But if they make less than 300, and lose the ability to use a new ball under lights, it will not have been helpful.
Interesting. I guess today’s the litmus test of your theory.

I have a feeling Australian batsmen will bat at a run rate of around 3.5 and we will then wonder why Indian batsmen have been so defensive.

Outfield is too slow. That flick should have reached boundary

Problem in outfield or pink ball??

Whoever worried about run rate just watched highlight of IPL,where run rate above 10 .why even bother to watching real test cricket .

That’s easier said than done though. Surely by calling it a low scoring game, it implies scoring at 2.5 “without taking a single risk” against a bowling attack like this is not so easy.

I do think however that Kohli can at some point soon become a little more expansive, especially since Pujara will anchor and bat until the new year if he wants to.

Playing against Starc, Cummins and Hazzy in Aus is never easy but we have to do these 'Not so easy' things in order to have any chance at winning this game.

This partnership is absolutely crucial, this session alone will probably determine the fate of this game.

The introduction of Lyon could be a turning point now. Suddenly a lot more batting activity and intent.

Playing against Starc, Cummins and Hazzy in Aus is never easy but we have to do these 'Not so easy' things in order to have any chance at winning this game.

This partnership is absolutely crucial, this session alone will probably determine the fate of this game.

Relax, it is a 5 day game. If they repeat that first session in the second and third today, and survive until tomorrow only 4 or 5 down, they will be far ahead in the match.

No guarantee of that of course, but it’s too early to be making these judgements.

I have never watched a test match live in a stadium. If anyone has, how is the experience? Especially during a slow scoring innings like this one ?

God, I love chepu!

You can almost feel Aussie bowlers' PTSD triggering in real time.

I have never watched a test match live in a stadium. If anyone has, how is the experience? Especially during a slow scoring innings like this one ?

If you are invested in slow developing narrative then its quite good. One sided matches are boring as India's most home games are.

Last edited:
:)))

Who was the clown who talked Paine out of taking the review. Wade? Even Lyon didn't seem keen.

You can see Kohli's got a buzz about him now.

Commiserations to Australian and Pakistani fans.

Fans during Pakistan Vs Australia: That's why every team need a player like Pujara who can provide strong foundation.

Fans during India Vs Australia: Pujara is playing too slow.

What is this man
ಈ ಜನರು
ఈ ప్రజలు
இந்த மக்கள்

:kp

Not really, we have seen edges not carrying so the wicket is a bit slow and even the bounce is usual nothing extravagant.

The recent Adelaide curators have done everything they can to encourage some more bounce. The grass is a tad longer these days.

It does bounce more than say 10 years ago. It still gets lower day 4 & 5. But it's a slower bounce (spongy because of the grass) than say Day 2 Brisbane or West Australia.

BtW only Pujara edges have gone short because of his technique sending them down- plays late, with the ball under his body & soft hands. The same ball plyed with hard hands & ball out front of the body edge will carry.

Indians to face 100+ balls in Australia (Test)

Dravid - 12 times
Sachin - 11 times
Laxman - 9 times
Kohli - 9 times
Gavaskar - 8 times
Pujara - 7 times*

Fans these days memory is so short. Pujara wins & India cash in by tiring the Oz bowlers out. Cummins & Starc after bowling 20 overs each is much easier than after 2 overs each.

Then it is a 4 match series. Put miles in the legs of bowlers in Test 1 & they are fatigued in Test 3.

Test cricket boyos- players need a tempo & long term thinking:

For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven: a time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is planted; a time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; a time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance...

Fans during Pakistan Vs Australia: That's why every team need a player like Pujara who can provide strong foundation.

Fans during India Vs Australia: Pujara is playing too slow.

What is this man
ಈ ಜನರು
ఈ ప్రజలు
இந்த மக்கள்

:kp

Ee janaru. Lol

Also I'm not sure why some think it's an easy scoring pitch. It's not Sydney. The wicket is not easy to bat on.

Complain about Pujara but who else do you want in there when it starts to swing at night?

2 guys who have batted for four hours at 2 per over?

2 guys who bat at 4 per over but only been in 15 minutes & it is already 4/5 down?

If Pujara makes a big score here, he's a genius.

Pujara need to cash on Lyon. He deserves a 50 atleast. He should look to bat whole day.

Back