India v New Zealand | 1st Test | Bengaluru | October 16-20 | Match Discussion

Cricket Warrior

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
1729016504338.png

India find themselves in a familiar situation, much like at the start of their previous Test in Kanpur, with rain once again threatening to disrupt play. With crucial World Test Championship points on the line, India will be hoping for a full Test to push for a favorable result. Facing a New Zealand side in transition, India remains strong favorites in their home conditions, though the overcast weather in Bengaluru might slightly ease New Zealand’s concerns.

New Zealand, coming off a 2-0 defeat to Sri Lanka, are dealing with a change in captaincy and the absence of Kane Williamson, adding to the challenges posed by an inexperienced bowling attack. To make matters worse, their preparation in India has been hampered by poor weather, making it harder to adjust to the pitches against a well-prepared Indian side. Despite the odds, New Zealand will rely on the experience within their squad. Rachin Ravindra’s and Daryl Mitchell’s white-ball experiences in India offer some solace, while new Test skipper Tom Latham will look to build on his five fifties. Tim Southee’s seven-wicket haul in Bengaluru and Ajaz Patel’s ten-wicket innings in Mumbai offer hope as well.

New Zealand will need every bit of confidence to face one of the toughest challenges in Test cricket—India at home. With a balanced team combining experience and form, India presents an all-around challenge like no other. Adding to New Zealand’s concerns is the potential for India’s key batters, Rohit Sharma and Virat Kohli, to improve after failing to score a fifty in the two Tests against Bangladesh, a form they will be eager to correct before their upcoming series Down Under.

When: Wednesday, October 16, 2024 at 09:30 AM IST

Where: M Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru

Squads:

India
Squad: Rohit Sharma(c), Yashasvi Jaiswal, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, KL Rahul, Rishabh Pant(w), Ravindra Jadeja, Sarfaraz Khan, Dhruv Jurel, Axar Patel, Ravichandran Ashwin, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj, Akash Deep

New Zealand Squad: Devon Conway, Tom Latham(c), Will Young, Kane Williamson, Michael Bracewell, Daryl Mitchell, Rachin Ravindra, Glenn Phillips, Tom Blundell(w), Mark Chapman, Mitchell Santner, Tim Southee, Matt Henry, Jacob Duffy, Ajaz Patel, William ORourke

=======

All posters please take note of the following guidelines for match threads on PakPassion:

1. No personal insults at other posters, players, officials, coaching staffs etc.

2. No making fun of player's, official's, coaching staff's names.

3. Do not add any references to media, their social media or post any pictures or screenshots from other sports websites.

4. Stick to commenting on this match. There is no need to bring other countries into the match discussion as there are plenty of other threads where those discussions can be added.

India One Win Away From Matching Their Longest Test Winning Streak, But Rain Threatens to Play Spoilsport

Team India is one win away from matching their longest Test-winning streak as they prepare to take on New Zealand at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru. But inclement weather could prove to be yet another challenge for the Rohit Sharma-led side.

Team India is one win away from matching their longest Test-winning streak as they prepare to take on New Zealand at the M Chinnaswamy Stadium in Bengaluru. But inclement weather could prove to be yet another challenge for the Rohit Sharma-led side as they pray to the weather gods for clear skies to match the record.

Currently, India’s longest winning streak is the seven games they played from August to November 2019 where they beat the likes of West Indies, and Bangladesh respectively to take them to a victory, seven games on the trot.

I hope Williamson will score a triple-century like McCullum did a few years ago (against India). That was a very good triple-century.

Will be a tough task for the Kiwis. They suffered very badly in Sri Lanka and India are in red hot form.

Expect an innings defeat

Will be a tough task for the Kiwis. They suffered very badly in Sri Lanka and India are in red hot form.

Expect an innings defeat
BCCI thanks you for your kind support and encouragement and marketing Indian cricket. As a token of gratitude we would like to send you a marketable player for your own team.

Expect an innings defeat

Kiwis are fighters. I expect a good fight from them.

They did poorly in SL but that can happen. Many teams struggle in SL.

Where is the insult? Dont see 1. Infact made someone an honorary citizen, but then didnt account for snowflakes.

Someone remind the 🤡 Wellington's not in India and Williamson is missing from the first test as a minimum due to dodgy groin :facepalm:

Kiwis are fighters. I expect a good fight from them.

They did poorly in SL but that can happen. Many teams struggle in SL.
Some bad scheduling I think.

They could have tried to have the Afghanistan Test just before this game to give kiwis some more preparation.

But nevertheless India are too strong at the moment at home. I don't think any team can beat them currently so if Kiwis even draw I'll be pleasantly surprised.

They could have tried to have the Afghanistan Test just before this game to give kiwis some more preparation.

But nevertheless India are too strong at the moment at home. I don't think any team can beat them currently so if Kiwis even draw I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I think India got weakened in Test particularly after the retirement of Pujara.

Rohit and Kohli are also not far from retirements.

It is just that ordinary teams are making India look good. I expect Australia to expose India very soon.

If its going to rain then I think NZ can draw this test. Every team won't fold like BD did in 2 days.

That's true.

NZ can win too. NZ often teach India big lessons (CT 2000 final, 2021 WTC final, 2019 WC semi-final etc.).
I don't think winning chances are high. I don't think NZ has won a test in India in the last 50 years or so.

They have drawn many and I think with rain predicted, they can draw.

I don't think winning chances are high. I don't think NZ has won a test in India in the last 50 years or so.

NZ might not have won many in India but India also haven't won many in NZ. As a matter of fact, India were whitewashed 0-2 last time they toured NZ.

Anyway, NZ often crush Indian dreams. NZ is like Xi Jinping for India.

NZ creditably drew a test when India was one wicket away from winning a test. Ravindra and Ajaz patel played out 10 overs.
Yah, Kane not playing should have very little impact. He has been not good in India. If others can bat for long then with rain, draw is surely within reach.

According to reports, Shubman has complained of neck and shoulder pain, and any decision on his availability for the 1st India-New Zealand Test will be taken on Wednesday.

I see.

Blow for NZ.
Actually he is a kitten. He always runs from India tour. Most overrate batsman. He is weak. Mentally fragile. He is protecting his padded record. If spaz likes a player then he is usually overrated. Spaz619

Bumrah should be tested.

Why does he bowl like he is getting chased by IRS? Suspicious action.
Bumrah is chucking legally. 100% needs to be banned. I agree. Without that action he will average 35 like most trundlers.

But icc is corrupt. They are in cahoots with bcci. All other countries should make it a class action and take them down.

It has been almost 15 days since the news on Williamson not playing the first test (and possibly missing the entire series due to injury) came out. Yet one bangla 🤡 (who remains active here 24×7) is hoping for williamson' triple century in 1st test.

India just can't compete anymore. We are only a t20 side. We should consider quitting tests. Average team. Lacking daleri, passion etc. All those 4 test series wins vs aus were mostly flukes. Oz basically just wanted public to tune in. So they had to fake it by losing some games.

For a very long time. They proved it during WTC final as well as 2023 WC final.
Stats say otherwise. But one off test I agree in England is better than winning an away tests series.

Also conflating odi performance with tests only further proves that Aussie has the best bowling attack in tests.

India just can't compete anymore. We are only a t20 side. We should consider quitting tests. Average team. Lacking daleri, passion etc. All those 4 test series wins vs aus were mostly flukes. Oz basically just wanted public to tune in. So they had to fake it by losing some games.
OZ cares about just 2 series. One is Ashes. Other one is BGT. Rest they don't care.

Stats say otherwise. But one off test I agree in England is better than winning an away tests series.

Also conflating odi performance with tests only further proves that Aussie has the best bowling attack in tests.

Aussie ODI attack and pace attack are almost same. Only Lyon and Zampa gets swapped.

Anyway, Australia have the best bowling attack in both ODI and Test.

Let's not go off-topic.

Haven't you heard though? Wtc is the pinnacle. One off game is > winning a test series. New rules.

WTC is more important than any Test series. WTC is an ICC event.

Aussie ODI attack and pace attack are almost same. Only Lyon and Zampa gets swapped.

Anyway, Australia have the best bowling attack in both ODI and Test.

Let's not go off-topic.

WTC is more important than any Test series. WTC is an ICC event.
No it's not lmao. I do t give a crao if india wins the wtc and loses the test series to aus. Series win away from home is more important. Anyday.
.sorry stats and also performance says indias attack is better but that's OK.

One off performance in wtc doesn't make Oz attack better
.India missed bumrah pant and jaiswal for wtc. Final

Williamson smashed his way to 2 match winning triple centuries in SL last month. (NZ whitewashed SL 2-0). So, him not playing this series is a big blow to kiwis. :genius

Anyone from Benglauru that can provide the update. One request guys. SOme nobodies will try to turn match thread into a cesspool. Don't let that happen.

NZ would love to reverse course. THey have lost 4 out of last 5 tests with one being abandoned

Screenshot-2024-10-15-224705.png

most incompetent board when it comes to scheduling. bcci. congrats bcci
dumb as bricks. hang your heads in shame. heads should roll.
useless management.

if it wasnt for the popularity of cricket in india, this board would be a laughing stock. just flexing their financial muscle and power they have attained by taking advantage of indian fan following.

I hope Williamson will score a triple-century like McCullum did a few years ago (against India). That was a very good triple-century.
Dude, you have your venues and hosts all mixed up - this is NZ touring India, not Pakistan. And no visitor has ever scored a triple century in India.

Speaks volumes about how good we are that you have to hide behind other teams to get satisfaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
India team is missing perfect net practice before BGT .

This series is net practice for indian team just like minnow Bangladesh ,only rain can save them. :kp

India team is missing perfect net practice before BGT .

This series is net practice for indian team just like minnow Bangladesh ,only rain can save them. :kp
We have 2 more tests left. In a way i am okay Bumrah not playing. It is pointless to play 5 tests right before BGT.

oz attack is vastly overrated outside bouncy conditions. they are rubbish in asia. pacers that is. average in england too tbh. only aus nz they are good and in sa.

but this the australia's greatest ever pace attack in history.

australia's advantage in the past was always mcgrath and a great spinner. even now lyon is a great spinner. whenever oz had a great spinner, they smash teams.

oz attack is vastly overrated outside bouncy conditions. they are rubbish in asia. pacers that is. average in england too tbh. only aus nz they are good and in sa.

but this the australia's greatest ever pace attack in history.

australia's advantage in the past was always mcgrath and a great spinner. even now lyon is a great spinner. whenever oz had a great spinner, they smash teams.
Don’t forget that this very ‘greatest ever attack’ was taken down not once but twice in the last decade by India. They are not as invincible as they are made out to be.

NZ have won 2 Tests in India , the last one in 1988 under Hadlee

Back