Inzamam-ul-Haq vs Younis Khan as Test batsmen

Inzamam-ul-Haq vs Younis Khan

• Total voters

saeed-sohail

Senior T20I Player
Runs
In another thread dicussing Inzi,s legacy some posters brought YK into it.As I promised here is a thread to discuss them head to head in test cricket.

Overall test record.

Inzi. 120 200 22 8830 329 49.60 16345 54.02 25 46

YK. 63 112 7 5260 313 50.09 9789 53.73 16 21

Test Record against individual teams.

Inzamam-ul-Haq

Matches Inns Not Out Runs HS Ave 100 50

Australia 14 27 2 785 118 31.40 1 6 9

Bangladesh 6 8 3 404 138* 80.80 2 0

England 19 32 3 1584 148 54.62 5 10

India 10 17 1 833 184 52.06 3 4

New Zealand 12 19 3 1059 329 66.18 3 4

South Africa 13 23 1 710 96 32.27 0 6

Sri Lanka 20 31 5 1559 200* 59.96 5 7

West Indies 15 24 3 1124 177 53.52 4 5

Zimbabwe 11 19 1 772 112 42.88 2 4

Younis Khan

Australia 6 12 0 382 87 31.83 0 3

Bangladesh 3 4 0 153 119 38.25 1 0

England 7 13 0 591 173 45.46 1 3

India 9 17 2 1321 267 88.06 5 4

New Zealand 4 6 1 307 149* 61.40 1 1

South Africa 7 14 1 570 130 43.84 2 2

Sri Lanka 15 24 2 1135 313 51.59 4 3

West Indies 10 19 1 701 153 38.94 2 4

Zimbabwe 2 3 0 100 52 33.33 0 1

Test record in Aus-SA-NZ-Eng.

Inzi.
38 68 6 2504 148 40.38 5 15

YK.
16 30 2 1314 173 46.92 2 7

Test record minus Zim-BD.

Inzi.
103 173 18 7654 329 49.38 21 42

YK.
58 105 7 5007 313 51.09 15 20

Test record in all countries.

Inzi.

in Australia 8 16 0 494 118 30.87 1 3

in Bangladesh 3 3 1 273 200* 136.50 1 0

in England 13 22 2 850 148 42.50 2 5 2

in India 5 10 1 494 184 54.88 1 3

in New Zealand 9 15 3 715 135* 59.58 2 4

in Pakistan 49 79 10 3709 329 53.75 11 20

in South Africa 8 15 1 445 95 31.78 0 3

in Sri Lanka 9 12 3 528 112 58.66 2 2

in U.A.E. 2 4 0 100 48 25.00 0 0

in West Indies 7 12 1 634 135 57.63 3 3

in Zimbabwe 7 12 0 588 112 49.00 1 2

YK.

in Australia 2 3 6 0 259 87 43.16 0 1

in Bangladesh 2 2 0 119 119 59.50 1 0 1

in England 5 9 0 470 173 52.22 1 3

in India 6 12 2 768 267 76.80 3 2

in New Zealand 3 5 1 280 149* 70.00 1 1

in Pakistan 19 33 1 1898 313 59.31 7 5

in South Africa 5 10 1 305 68 33.88 0 2

in Sri Lanka 9 15 2 527 116 40.53 1 4

in U.A.E. 4 8 0 323 153 40.37 1 2

in West Indies 5 9 0 211 106 23.44 1 0

in Zimbabwe 2 3 0 100 52 33.33 0 1

SS

Top Post.

Younis Khan is the top cricketer pakistan has produced in last 20 years.

Let's younis khan play another 57 tests and then let's see if he can maintain his average. I really doubt that.

Let's younis khan play another 57 tests and then let's see if he can maintain his average. I really doubt that.

Ijaz Butt won't let him Play. Do the right thing Ijaz butt and bring Younis Khan back.

Inzamam was a much better player, in all formats.

SS not saying that YK was better player I believe as he left for others to interpret the data set.

Can you add this statistic please - Average in matches won

Would add more to the story I think

Thanks!

The data is left open for interpretation. In my mind both Inzi and YK are great test players. YK has not played as many tests as Inzi has and I doubt he will come close to playing as many tests as Inzi has played.

It will be unfair for us to claim that YK is better than Inzi as YK has played around half as many tests as Inzi. If YK is allowed to play test again for another 3-4 years then he would have played close to 90 tests. At that time comparison would be more fair.

At this point though, both Inzi and YK should be regarded as great test players.

What nonsense SS. How many games YK won single handedly for Pak? And batting under pressure and with the tail mostly?

What nonsense SS. How many games YK won single handedly for Pak? And batting under pressure and with the tail mostly?
Good question, I think Inzi has won more games under pressure in ODIs while YK has won more games in tests. I'm sure SS or some other poster can verify this. Althouhg I could be worng:)

Younis Khan has played 22 matches that pakistan won and averaged 67.90 with 7 centuries. he has played 16 matches that pakistan drew and averaged 59.21 with 5 centuries. He has played 25 matches that pakistan lost and in those matches he averages 33.81 with 4 centuries.

Inzamam played 49 matches that pakistan won with 78.16 average with 17 centuries. He has played 32 test matches that pakistan drew and averaged 47.23 with 6 centuries. He has played 39 Test matches that pakistan lost and in those matches he averages 28.36 with 2 centuries.

Inzamam averages 9 more runs in wins, averages 12 runs less in match drawn and averages 5 runs less in matches lost.

In ODI's Inzi,no doubt.

But in tests YK by a country mile.It is an insult to compare YK to a FTB like Inzi in test cricket.Pakistanis are lucky to have YK.Wish he comes back soon.

There is no comparison. It is a crime to compare inzi with any other pakistani players barring miandad.

Inzi is the best batsman pak has ever produced, I would rate him ahead of miandad.. He had some short comings against quality leg spin or fast tracks like south africa, but who doesn't have short comings.

While judging a batsman one should always take the bowling quality of that era in to consideration. Inzi played in the 90s when the quality of the bowling was of the highest quality, where as younis, yousuf, kallis, dravid and ponting dominated the 2000s when the quality of the bowling overall has depreciated a great deal. things only started to change after 2007 with new good bowlers coming up.

If some one has witnessed his batting against fast bowling, a question like this will never cross their mind. never in his life he looked hurried while playing his shots against fast bowlers.

in other words he is simply the best batsman pak has ever produced even ahead of miandad (who actually made the most out of his talent through his mental strength)

Younis Khan has played 22 matches that pakistan won and averaged 67.90 with 7 centuries. he has played 16 matches that pakistan drew and averaged 59.21 with 5 centuries. He has played 25 matches that pakistan lost and in those matches he averages 33.81 with 4 centuries.

Inzamam played 49 matches that pakistan won with 78.16 average with 17 centuries. He has played 32 test matches that pakistan drew and averaged 47.23 with 6 centuries. He has played 39 Test matches that pakistan lost and in those matches he averages 28.36 with 2 centuries.

Inzamam averages 9 more runs in wins, averages 12 runs less in match drawn and averages 5 runs less in matches lost.

While playing out for draw is also important.. the draws in which younis scored are not draws earned by Pak, but evident draws because of dead tracks. Younis is next only to MoYo leave alone comparing him with Inzi. He had the charisma and the quality to be a lead the team, no doubts but as batsman he is good but don't belong to the league of inzi

What nonsense !!! inzi is the greatest test player pakistan has ever produced.Yonis khan has the luxury of playing under the shadows of Inzi and Yousuf.Did inzi ever enjoyed such luxury? No comparison at all.

What nonsense !!! inzi is the greatest test player pakistan has ever produced.Yonis khan has the luxury of playing under the shadows of Inzi and Yousuf.Did inzi ever enjoyed such luxury? No comparison at all.

Inzi played 7 years under the shadows of MOYO & Younis Khan :)

Inzamam averaged 43 till 1998. in 1998 Yousaf made his debut and after his debut Inzamam averaged 50.43 in hist next 9 years. clearly the presence of MOYO & Younis Khan also helped Inzamam. I don't know who was in our batting lineup in mid nineties. I started following cricket seriously after 2000s.

It's official. Younus supporters have become Younus finally ( I don't mean as compliment)

How can you compare Inzimam to any Pakistani batsman - let alone Younus Khan. I have been following Pakistan cricket for a long time. I know the quality batsmen like Inzimam, and his contribution can't be matched. Why?

Inzimam may has poor average in South Africa and Australia, but almost every batsmen have their weakness and their poor averages in selected country. Ricky Ponting is the prime example of what his averages in India doesn't indicate anything related to the title he has earned, but due to his performance in other overseas where he has performed, has earned him the title that he deserves and especially as captain - let's remember that.

After the Inzimam performance in WC 92 that has provided opportunity for Pakistan to compete in the final, and Pakistan has ended up winning WC 92. That's the last world cup Pakistan has earned in spite of talents like Akhtar, Younus, Yousuf....etc, and however, in spite of their presence for the team, Pakistan is yet to win another world cup. Younus/Yousuf would never able to win the WC at all. Why? Because they choke in the major tournaments like World Cup. It is no irony why Pakistan was out of the WC 2003 in the first round, and lost to Ireland and weakest West Indies in WC 2007. Where were the presence of Yousuf and Younus? Inzimam was really old, and so, it's understandable why he couldn't even though he should have retired in 2006, but due to maintaining the unity of team till the WC has insisted him to stay as captain till the WC 2007.

Coming back to Inzimam after the WC 92, and after that, he did murder West Indies regularly and earned the title 'world class batsman' back then. West Indies attack used to represent by Courteney Walsh and Ambrose. Inzimam has done fair job in New Zealand and everything barring two (AUS and SA), and Inzimam has always performed in every England tour till the 2006 and that's when his time was up. That's why he has become second ranking of Test in 95, and remained for more than 5 years. It's not easy to achieve the accomplishment that Inzimam has achieved. When he was young, he performed when mattered. He also has scored century in Australia and his unbeaten 90 inning in South Africa.
He was the consistent batsman after Javed Miandad in the Test format and has always been under pressure batsman that Younus and Yousuf lacked badly, and we saw the result what happened to Yousuf and Younus after the retirement of Inzimam.

Inzimam became the captain in 2003, and has been successful captain and led the team just fine and maintained the unity of the team pretty well. We have noticed the pressure of captaincy often change the cricketer and we know what happened to Tendulkar when he became captain, he became tailender. When Younus became captain, he became tailender as well. When Yousuf became captain, became tailender as well. There are more cases when the title of captaincy enthrust to any cricketer, often change the cricket. For those who can handle the pressure, can handle the team just fine. Ponting, Steve Waugh, Hanse Cronje, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Inzimam, Stephen Fleming have handled the team as captain, and also contributed for the team with their expertise as captain which the cricketers like Tendulkar, Younus have failed to do. Inzimam has managed to handle the team really fine as captain, and performed when necessary, and he was performing consistent back then, and if he wasn't captain back then, you can imagine he would have dominated as batsman with no pressure of captaincy. He would have done well in Australia and South Africa as well, but due to his age, and pressure while as a captain must have forced him to defensive batsman and cautious. Whatever has happened, can't be edited at all.

Younus has no century in South Africa, Australia, hasn't made any different in WC so far (WC 03 and WC 07), he was horrible in Test format and still is. Because of 300 runs against Sri Lanka is what improved his average lately. He was awful before the 300 and after the 300, and batted like tailender. He lost his mind completely when he became captain, panicked, choked, and became totally dependant on the team to survive as captain because he couldn't perform even if his life was depended on it. He should be thankful to Shahid Khan Afridi for the beautiful memory of WC 09, and otherwise, Younus would have been worse captain in the history of Pakistan cricket. His record as captain in real cricket is quite embarrassing, and not to mention his performance as well.

Younus supporters need to calm down. Younus hasn't earned the title 'Legend' yet. Inzimam has, and always will be Legend and Pakistan match winner. First, he should prove if he really is better than Laxman, Dravid, Sehwag before the comparison begins with Legendary batsman like Inzimam.

inzi all the way, as pointed out by others the only valid comparison with Inzi is that to Javed Miandad.

Both were top dogs in their side, whereas Yousuf and Younis were both playing with Inzi to come after them.

Younis has also played in fewer matches, he did not come to prominence until some series against India. bEfore then he was a good bat, but not an elite one. Inzi was always the top batsman in the side after Javed retired

Younus is to Yousuf what Miandad is to Inzi

Inzamam is deffo better, not to degrade Younus' fine calibre but Inzamam is a class apart. Yes Younus probably is better against the moving ball...but Inzamam handled pressure well and led from the front as cappo. Yes Younus has a better average...but Inzamam has played nearly twice as many matches and kept it consistently around 50. Sorry SS but this thread = fail

From these four I'd say

Tests: Miandad = Inzi > Younus > Yousuf

one-days: Inzi > Yousuf = Miandad > Younus

Last edited:
It's official. Younus supporters have become Younus finally ( I don't mean as compliment)

How can you compare Inzimam to any Pakistani batsman - let alone Younus Khan. I have been following Pakistan cricket for a long time. I know the quality batsmen like Inzimam, and his contribution can't be matched. Why?

Inzimam may has poor average in South Africa and Australia, but almost every batsmen have their weakness and their poor averages in selected country. Ricky Ponting is the prime example of what his averages in India doesn't indicate anything related to the title he has earned, but due to his performance in other overseas where he has performed, has earned him the title that he deserves and especially as captain - let's remember that.

After the Inzimam performance in WC 92 that has provided opportunity for Pakistan to compete in the final, and Pakistan has ended up winning WC 92. That's the last world cup Pakistan has earned in spite of talents like Akhtar, Younus, Yousuf....etc, and however, in spite of their presence for the team, Pakistan is yet to win another world cup. Younus/Yousuf would never able to win the WC at all. Why? Because they choke in the major tournaments like World Cup. It is no irony why Pakistan was out of the WC 2003 in the first round, and lost to Ireland and weakest West Indies in WC 2007. Where were the presence of Yousuf and Younus? Inzimam was really old, and so, it's understandable why he couldn't even though he should have retired in 2006, but due to maintaining the unity of team till the WC has insisted him to stay as captain till the WC 2007.

Coming back to Inzimam after the WC 92, and after that, he did murder West Indies regularly and earned the title 'world class batsman' back then. West Indies attack used to represent by Courteney Walsh and Ambrose. Inzimam has done fair job in New Zealand and everything barring two (AUS and SA), and Inzimam has always performed in every England tour till the 2006 and that's when his time was up. That's why he has become second ranking of Test in 95, and remained for more than 5 years. It's not easy to achieve the accomplishment that Inzimam has achieved. When he was young, he performed when mattered. He also has scored century in Australia and his unbeaten 90 inning in South Africa.
He was the consistent batsman after Javed Miandad in the Test format and has always been under pressure batsman that Younus and Yousuf lacked badly, and we saw the result what happened to Yousuf and Younus after the retirement of Inzimam.

Inzimam became the captain in 2003, and has been successful captain and led the team just fine and maintained the unity of the team pretty well. We have noticed the pressure of captaincy often change the cricketer and we know what happened to Tendulkar when he became captain, he became tailender. When Younus became captain, he became tailender as well. When Yousuf became captain, became tailender as well. There are more cases when the title of captaincy enthrust to any cricketer, often change the cricket. For those who can handle the pressure, can handle the team just fine. Ponting, Steve Waugh, Hanse Cronje, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Inzimam, Stephen Fleming have handled the team as captain, and also contributed for the team with their expertise as captain which the cricketers like Tendulkar, Younus have failed to do. Inzimam has managed to handle the team really fine as captain, and performed when necessary, and he was performing consistent back then, and if he wasn't captain back then, you can imagine he would have dominated as batsman with no pressure of captaincy. He would have done well in Australia and South Africa as well, but due to his age, and pressure while as a captain must have forced him to defensive batsman and cautious. Whatever has happened, can't be edited at all.

Younus has no century in South Africa, Australia, hasn't made any different in WC so far (WC 03 and WC 07), he was horrible in Test format and still is. Because of 300 runs against Sri Lanka is what improved his average lately. He was awful before the 300 and after the 300, and batted like tailender. He lost his mind completely when he became captain, panicked, choked, and became totally dependant on the team to survive as captain because he couldn't perform even if his life was depended on it. He should be thankful to Shahid Khan Afridi for the beautiful memory of WC 09, and otherwise, Younus would have been worse captain in the history of Pakistan cricket. His record as captain in real cricket is quite embarrassing, and not to mention his performance as well.

Younus supporters need to calm down. Younus hasn't earned the title 'Legend' yet. Inzimam has, and always will be Legend and Pakistan match winner. First, he should prove if he really is better than Laxman, Dravid, Sehwag before the comparison begins with Legendary batsman like Inzimam.
You have a lot of valid points in your post. I like both Inzi and YK. Inzi has earned the right to be called legend while YK needs to keep his average up and continue to play like this in test for another 3 to 4 years (assuming he gets a chance to play again) to come close to Inzi.

However, I do have to disagree with you on your comment about YK was bad before scoring 300 and after scoring 300. He only played 6 innings after scoring 300 and he did score I beleiev 90 something in that inning. He hasn;t played any test cricket since then.

As for your world cup comment. Inzi is deefinatley one of the best ODI players ever to play for Pak and has lead Pak to man vicotires but apart from 1992 world cup, he was okay in 1996 and 1999 and choked in 2003 and 2007.

It's also funny how SS is highlighting Inzamam's big average v minnows but forgetting the 50 plus average v India, England, SL, West Indies and New Zealand. Pathetic

bloody tough statistic.....as much as i love YK....a big fan ....but on the other hand inzi is one of my favourite cricketers too....
he played at the time where the bowling standards were good..pitches were better suited to bowlers,
whereas YK who started his career in 2000 has also been an immense asset to pakistan ,batting at the most crucial position...
yk would probably finish with more hundrede if our intelligent board lets him play....

in conclusion really hard to chose between the two, as both have been equally important to us...
and ya i still cant forget how inzi saved us from embarassment against bangladesh :)

What a joke! Younus better than Inzy? shows just how biased saeed-sohail etc really are

the bowling standards in the 2000s are so low, that the runs being scored since should be taken with a grain of salt.

In the 90s, there were Warne, Wasim, Waqar, Donald, Pollock, Ambrose, Walsh, Mcgarth, Murli,

in the 2000s the best bowlers were Murli, Kumble, Harbajan, Nitni, and Warne.

At same point in their career.

YK. 63 112 7 5260 313 50.09 16 21

Inzi.63 106 12 4244 200* 45.14 10 25

the bowling standards in the 2000s are so low, that the runs being scored since should be taken with a grain of salt.

In the 90s, there were Warne, Wasim, Waqar[/B], Donald, Pollock, Ambrose, Walsh, Mcgarth, Murli,

in the 2000s the best bowlers were Murli, Kumble, Harbajan, Nitni, and Warne.

When did Inzi play againt Ws.
YK has not played Aus since Warne and McGrath retired.
Inzi played behind Anwar sohail and Ijaz first half of his career.YK played behind farhat butt and hameed throughout.

You can look at it in a different way...
Inzama averages 55 in matches he played with younis where as younis averages 50 i those matches.

YK is underrated but now that he's been wronged by the PCB, posters like Saeed Sohail and Sallu are just going OTT.

Last edited:
People who think YK is better than Inzimam are either dumb or dont understand Cricket.

Inzimam was a class act, his records and his match winning ability speak for itself. YK is and never was on the same level as Inzimam.

IMO Inzimam is the best batsmen Pakistan produced.

YK is underrated but now that he's been wronged by the PCB, posters like Saeed Sohail and Sallu are just going OTT.

I always liked younis as a testbatsman, and also desperately wanted him to succeed in ODI's...
But these 5-6 posters are doing their best on PP, they want us to dislike him...

Yes and i would take Inzimam over YK for that reason . Our middle order has never been the same ever since Inzimam's retirement . In fact our whole team has not been the same without his captaincy . :inzi was a different class

In another thread dicussing Inzi,s legacy some posters brought YK into it.As I promised here is a thread to discuss them head to head in test cricket.

Overall test record.

Inzi. 120 200 22 8830 329 49.60 16345 54.02 25 46

YK. 63 112 7 5260 313 50.09 9789 53.73 16 21

Both got 50+ for Pakistan.
(Inzi played one exhibition test match for ROW where he wasn't motivated to score and that brought his net average below 50).

If PCB not picking YK I hope ICC pick for ROW...
Is he good enough?

Last edited:
Let me make couple of things clear.
Nowhere did I say YK was better.Both are really good at test level but neither is great.Both were average against Aus.Inzi struggled in Aus over three tours whilst YK was decent in his only tour but sample is too small.

Inzi faced tougher bowling in 90s but played behind better players then what YK had in front of him.Inzi also played with the better bowling attack hence his amazing record in wins but YK isn't far behind in that regard.

Inzi did it over longer but he didn't suffer from lack of games at his peak like YK with only 4 tests in three years.

I am fan of both players and hope to see YK back in team soon, but no way, he's is better player then Inzi. No doubt YK made most of his good form and scored big once he was set. On other hand Inzi came out fighting when team needed him most. I always hoped, he cared about averages and scored Heavily in all matches not just imprtant matches.

For those who have seen both play, no doubt will vote for Inzi because with him on crease match was never lost until man was out.

SD them 39 tests weren't important where Inzi avgs 28 and Pakistan ended up losing them all.

Talent wise, Inzy was second to none, probably even more talented than the mighty Miandad (Although, Miandad made more out of his talent than Inzy did, and hence is considered the greatest batsman out of Pakistan).

As much as I like YK, I don't think he is in the same class as Inzy. Actually, until that tour of India, where he was surprisingly given the vice-captaincy, his place in the team wasn't even cemented. However, he did raise his game after that to warrant the comparison we are doing in this thread.

On the flip side, Inzy didn't warrant a comparison with Miandad really until he hit that magical patch around 2005. As other people have pointed out, Inzy could have accomplished a lot more than he did, had he fully done justice to his God-given abilities.

I think it is fair to compare YK with Inzy, and in the end it will be a subjective choice, influenced more by indelible moments that each have left us with than any statistical numbers.

In that regard, my choice would be Inzy over YK.

This is how I would rank the top 5 batsman Pakistan has produced.

1. Javed Miandad
2. Hanif Mohammad
3. Inzamam ul Haq
4. Zaheer Abbas
5. Yunus Khan

Honorable Mention: Saeed Anwar, Mohammad Yusuf

Last edited:
Ask:

Akram
Waqar
Anwar
Imran K
Sachin
Holding
Nasser
Qadir

every legend you can think of, i would bet my house every one of them would vote for aloo.

mods should put a poll here, would be interesting

Last edited:
Ask:

Akram
Waqar
Anwar
Imran K
Sachin
Holding
Nasser
Qadir

every legend you can think of, i would bet my house every one of them would vote for aloo.

mods should put a poll here, would be interesting
I am maybe wrong, but i can't see any international player, present or past, saying that Younis is better than Inzamam-ul-haq in any formatof the game...
Of course, apart from Younis himself.

I am a big fan of both players, I think they are both great

Having said that Inzi edges it for me, he had this extra something that YK nor Yousuf have. It was that presence which gave you the utmost confidence that as long as he was out there thing were going to be fine

Also like I mentioned in the other thread I am not keen on these comparison threads as people like to rubbish the other player - which is frankly pathetic as we are discussing two fine cricketers here, both of whom deserve to be applauded for what they achieved for Pakistan and gave to the cricketing world. Don't be daft and belittle either of the players as they are class

No they will all say afridi is better then both.

You create a thread and then you yourself go off topic...

So my adivce to you will be to post on topic, and the topic is Inzamam vs Younis Khan if you have forgotten!!! :ibutt

In ODI's Inzi,no doubt.

But in tests YK by a country mile.It is an insult to compare YK to a FTB like Inzi in test cricket.Pakistanis are lucky to have YK.Wish he comes back soon.

in that case ganguly is a better batsman than tendulkar and its an insult to compare ganguly to FTB like sachin

I am maybe wrong, but i can't see any international player, present or past, saying that Younis is better than Inzamam-ul-haq in any formatof the game...
Of course, apart from Younis himself.

no Younus isn't an egomaniac. only saeed-sohail and sallu can say this sort of nonsense

Last edited:
Inzy was so talented that he could have been one of the best ever!! That's best ever in world cricket and even though he under acheived he was still regarded as being brilliant, and even spoken in the breath as tendulkar and lara...

The state our cricket is in now makes yk's exclusion ridiculous!! It's arguable that Pakistan cricket has never needed a batsman like it needs YK, but for all his brilliance I still regard him a notch below Inzy..

Last edited:
Perhaps if YK played 30-40 more matches we could compare them as test players

The fact is they have both achieved very similar but Inzi has done it over twice the number of test matches, so he wins it

He is ofcourse the clear winner in the ODI format

Inzamam>>>Miandad>>>Yousuf>>>Younus

maybe purely on batting, but if one looks at the whole cricketer including tactical ability and strong street fighter attitude this is the order for me

javed>inzi>yk>moyo

maybe purely on batting, but if one looks at the whole cricketer including tactical ability and strong street fighter attitude this is the order for me

javed>inzi>yk>moyo

I agree with this

As I said, Yusuf really hasn't provided those great moments that lift a player from good to great or great to legendary. He seems to disappear when we've needed him most, barring a couple of occasions. This was also the problem with Zaheer Abbas, although both MoYo and ZA were a treat to watch in terms of pure elegance.

Sheesh...the Inzi vs Laxman thread has not yet burnt itself out and now this. Inzamam is really getting a bum deal at the moment.

Inzi was a colossus. I can see Pak producing other batsmen of Younis Khan's ability but I don't think we will ever see another Inzi, in the same way there will never be another Ponting, Lara and Sachin.

As with the Laxman comparison, I'm not even going to bother making any points about why Inzi was better, as to even entertain the notion of comparing Inzi to the likes of Laxman and Younis Khan is to denigrate the mammoth achievements of the big man.

I admire YK as much as anyone but enough of this, you are just ruining the legacy of a legend. In the same way a thread about Tendulkar vs Gambhir or Ponting vs Damien Martyn would just be silly.

Sorry, but as they say "I'm out".

As I said, Yusuf really hasn't provided those great moments that lift a player from good to great or great to legendary. He seems to disappear when we've needed him most, barring a couple of occasions. This was also the problem with Zaheer Abbas, although both MoYo and ZA were a treat to watch in terms of pure elegance.

wait when has Younus done this? he is a very good batsman and a very likeable personality as well but he hasn't done this, in fact i'd say less than Yousuf

had this thread come in some other forum it is fine... most of the people here would have seen both inzi and YK.. i wonder how such a comparison is being entertained. During a period in 90s, Inzi was compared to Sachin and Lara. One may like YK, but to compare him with Inzi.. I still cannot get over this..

had this thread come in some other forum it is fine... most of the people here would have seen both inzi and YK.. i wonder how such a comparison is being entertained. During a period in 90s, Inzi was compared to Sachin and Lara. One may like YK, but to compare him with Inzi.. I still cannot get over this..

This.

Lets summarize what we have

Inzamam averaged 43 till 1998 while playing along with saleem malik, saed anwar, Ijaz ahmad. in 1998 Yousaf made his debut and after his debut Inzamam averaged 50.43 in hist next 9 years.

Younis Khan hasn't played against Aussies since Mcgrath and Warne retired.

Talent wise, Inzy was second to none, probably even more talented than the mighty Miandad (Although, Miandad made more out of his talent than Inzy did, and hence is considered the greatest batsman out of Pakistan).

As much as I like YK, I don't think he is in the same class as Inzy. Actually, until that tour of India, where he was surprisingly given the vice-captaincy, his place in the team wasn't even cemented. However, he did raise his game after that to warrant the comparison we are doing in this thread.

On the flip side, Inzy didn't warrant a comparison with Miandad really until he hit that magical patch around 2005. As other people have pointed out, Inzy could have accomplished a lot more than he did, had he fully done justice to his God-given abilities.

I think it is fair to compare YK with Inzy, and in the end it will be a subjective choice, influenced more by indelible moments that each have left us with than any statistical numbers.

In that regard, my choice would be Inzy over YK.

This is how I would rank the top 5 batsman Pakistan has produced.

1. Javed Miandad
2. Hanif Mohammad
3. Inzamam ul Haq
4. Zaheer Abbas
5. Yunus Khan

Honorable Mention: Saeed Anwar, Mohammad Yusuf

completely agreed with yr rankings.........

wait when has Younus done this? he is a very good batsman and a very likeable personality as well but he hasn't done this, in fact i'd say less than Yousuf

Actually, I never explicitly stated that Yunus did and Yusuf didn't. But I guess it was implied in my list.

When I think of Yunus I think of WC T20 win, I think of his active and encouraging captaincy, I think of his aggressive demeanor in the field.

I think of his 267 and 84* in the Banglore test, in the win against India.

Yusuf, though much more talented than Yunus, just doesn't have the fight in him.

LOL @ some of the arguments being presented here.

Inzamam playing with quality players has a bearing on his personal performance.. how? Cricket is a team game and there are bound to be other good players in amongst each of the top sides. If we go by this, we may as well limit the greatest batsmen ever to minnow sides with Tamim coming out on top out of the present lot (how long before a Tamim Vs Inzamam thread? Any bets? :butt). As far as the 'single-handed' comment went, I don't think that poster [or anyone who uses the phrase] means he had to average 60 in a team of batsmen averaging 20. What Inzamam did often enough for it not to be a coincidence was carry his team through to the finish line and win games from difficult positions with his personal batting performances - see centuries in a won match. Just look at the hole in Pakistan's batting since he's been gone (I'm including games where Younis/Yousuf have had to carry the batting). No comparison with Younis tbh, though I rate him highly as well.

Well, I wouldn't call it legendary but I can certainly remember some tough innings he played which won/saved Pakistan - some against SL, SA and in ODIs against England & India.

I think Yousuf is a class player when someone at the other end is good, he's a quality/high class partnership player, however when thrown in the deep end in high pressure, he's rarely been able to carry the team to a tough win a la Inzamam (though I do remember Yousuf winning a game in NZ with a quality innings a few years back) and sometime Younis.
As it is, I rate Yousuf and Younis as Pakistani greats but only Miandad and Inzamam as great batsmen [out of players I've seen].

As I've said earlier, its just unfair to compare the 2

Younis has played half the number of matches that Inzi played, and even though their records are quite similar average wise, its unfair comparing Younis to a guy whos done the same for twice the period of time

Both have done relatively poorly against Aussies. Both average 50. Both increase their averages in wins etc etc etc, but the fact remains, Inzis done it for 120 tests whereas Younis has done it for 60 odd tests

My ranking of Pakistani test batsmen

Javed Miandad
Inzamam ul Haq
Younis Khan

Perhaps if Younis ends up with around about a 100 test matches with a similar record he can climb the ladder (highlu unlikely)

But having said this as well, you must note that Younis is nowhere on these guys talent wise, for him to average 50 and make such a successful career is an outstanding effort

Ugghh I dont get it, why does one have to be better than the other?? Both have roughly equal stats, both have left a mark in the game of cricket, both have produced match winning innings (albeit you can argue Inzi a few more than Younus Khan), but there have been many a time when YK bailed Pakistan out of many tough situations. And YK has one hell of an average against India. 80+ !! It's sad when you overlook details like that during comparison. And many of his top performances against India came after openers collapsing, so it's not like he was totally devoid of pressure while playing then as most users have forgotten in this topic, by blindly claiming YK only performs when pressure free.

Personally speaking? I think they're just about equal. If PCB stop messing with YK's career, I am pretty sure YK can achieve the same glorified status Inzi has. And none of them were FTBs, quit that. Both of them have performed time and time again overseas. Calling either of them a FTB is disrespectful.

One thing is clear here that YK is hugely underrated.
Overall record he matches Inzi.
Hundreds to games ratio, conversion rate of 50s to 100s and 100s to
150,record in AUS he is a clear winner.
Only thing that Inzi wins is he has done it over twice as many games.But then again YK suffered big time from lack of test cricket at his peak.He has only played four tests since Jan 08.

As for ppl laughing at comparison we are not comparing any laloo panjoo to Inzi here.YK was in top ten icc ranked batsman for 5 straight years and reached #1 only four tests ago.He is a world cup winning captain if you have forgotten.

One thing is clear here that YK is hugely underrated.
Overall record he matches Inzi.
Hundreds to games ratio, conversion rate of 50s to 100s and 100s to
150,record in AUS he is a clear winner.
Only thing that Inzi wins is he has done it over twice as many games.But then again YK suffered big time from lack of test cricket at his peak.He has only played four tests since Jan 08.

As for ppl laughing at comparison we are not comparing any laloo panjoo to Inzi here.YK was in top ten icc ranked batsman for 5 straight years and reached #1 only four tests ago.He is a world cup winning captain if you have forgotten.

Back