Islamabad United (174/9) defeat Quetta Gladiators (135/10) by 39 runs in a one sided encounter to clinch victory in the Eliminator 1 of PSL 9

Mohammed Amir's knock has been quite entertaining at least..

Wasim JR’s dismissal has to be the moment of the match

What an epic dismissal

A guy who looks like Saud Shakeel has constantly been talking to Saud Shakeel in the dug out

Yousuf is playing innings of his life. And it's due to his participation in red ball cricket in domestic seasons

Reminds me of the 70 not out he made against NZ when Pakistan were down and out. He was around 19 at the time and showed a lot of potential and never die attitude.

Remember it like it was yesterday. At the time, there was talk of him following path of Wasim Akram as a left-handed fast bowling all-rounder. We lost something special when he got banned.

If the top order had played well in the Powerplay and had scored at least 30 runs, it would have confirmed victory for Quetta Gladiators.

QG should have won this game

Roy, Russow and Saud should hang their heads in shame

Quetta Gladiators need a proper overhaul and to get rid of Moeen Khan. The old system is not working, and sacking Sarfaraz was not enough.

Remember it like it was yesterday. At the time, there was talk of him following path of Wasim Akram as a left-handed fast bowling all-rounder. We lost something special when he got banned.
Yeah it's very sad but then I see his antics in public and somehow I feel less bad :ROFLMAO: .
Could have just been another toxic personality in the dressing room.

I like this kid as a player but he is showing some really selfish traits that I hate

Usman Tariq will probably return playing club cricket in leagues as an overseas after this

Yeah it's very sad but then I see his antics in public and somehow I feel less bad :ROFLMAO: .
Could have just been another toxic personality in the dressing room.

He's not the most likeable guy it has to be said, but I'm certain Pakistan would have won the 2011 WC if he was playing.

He's not the most likeable guy it has to be said, but I'm certain Pakistan would have won the 2011 WC if he was playing.

Just like he should've won the PSL now? The bigger losses at that point in time were Salman Butt and Asif. If we had Butt instead of the dud captain Afridi, we would've had a chance

Islamabad United will join Peshawar Zalmi in the second eliminator after they beat Quetta Gladiators by 39 runs at National Bank Stadium, Karachi on Friday night. Islamabad scored 174-9 in the first innings, which they comfortably defended as Quetta was dismissed for just 135.

After opting to bat first, Martin Guptill and Alex Hales put up a 51-run opening partnership, giving Islamabad a strong start. After seeing off Mohammad Amir’s first over for just two runs, Guptill hit three consecutive fours against Mohammad Wasim Jnr in the second over to get things going for the side.

Hales (23, 20b, 1x4, 2x6s) hit two maximums against Abrar Ahmed in the fifth over but was caught by Jason Roy off Akeal Hosein in the following over as Islamabad ended the powerplay at 51-1.

After the seventh and eighth overs passed quietly, Salman Ali Agha took charge against Wasim in the ninth over, hitting a four and six. By the halfway mark, Islamabad stood at 93-1.

Saud Shakeel’s introduction to the attack in the 12th over proved fruitful as he broke the 51-run partnership by dismissing Salman (31, 21b, 2x4s, 1x6). Shadab Khan walked in next and hit a quickfire 23 off 13, including one four and two sixes, before he fell to Abrar, with the scorecard reading 131-3 after 15 overs.

Guptill got his 56th T20 half-century with a four on the fifth delivery of the 16th over. In the next over, Azam Khan (18, 6b, 1x4, 2x6s) hit two sixes and a four before Hosein avenged himself on the last ball.

Islamabad lost four wickets in the 18th and 19th overs; Faheem Ashraf was caught behind off Amir while Haider Ali was run out on the next delivery. Then, Imad Wasim was run out courtesy of an excellent aim at the striker’s end by Wasim. Subsequently, Guptill (56, 47b, 5x4s, 1x6) sent one straight to Roy fielding at long-on.

Amir, bowling the final over, castled Hunain Shah on the second delivery. Naseem Shah hit a six on the last ball of the innings to help Islamabad finish with a comfortable total of 174-9 after 20 overs.

Amir and Hosein had two wickets each while Saud, Wasim and Abrar picked up one each.

In return, Quetta Gladiators had a horror start to the chase as they lost half their wickets inside of the powerplay, whilst in pursuit of 175-run target on the tricky Karachi pitch.

Imad, who opened the bowling for Islamabad, drew first blood with opening batter Saud caught behind for a five-ball duck on the final ball of the first over.

On the second ball of the second over, Roy edged one to Faheem fielding at first slip and had to join his fellow opener back in the pavilion for just a run off three deliveries.

Rilee Rossouw announced himself on the crease with a boundary on his first ball, facing Naseem. However, he could not maintain his stay at the crease and was caught by Haider at deep square in the third over, awarding Imad his second wicket of the day.

Continuing his disappointing tally of scores at HBL PSL 9, the Quetta captain returned for a run-a-ball five.

Then, Imad returned to bowl his third over and continued his lethal attack on the Quetta batting line-up. Nafay (5, 10b, 1x4), the fifth batter in, fell on the second delivery as the substitute fielder Qasim Akram grabbed a brilliant catch at short mid-off.

On the subsequent ball, Evans was run out for a duck as trouble deepened for Quetta who found themselves 21-5 after five overs.

Omair Bin Yousuf, who had witnessed his team’s batting collapse from the other end, was then joined in the middle by Hosein. The two batted together to add 52 runs off 34 balls, providing Quetta’s innings with a sense of stability as the side managed to get to 67-5 at the halfway mark.

The sixth-wicket stand was cut short in the 11th over when Hosein (31, 18b, 2x4s, 3x6s) was run out after confusion in the middle. Subsequently, a languid 17-run seventh-wicket stand between Omair and Wasim (6, 10b) followed until the latter fell to Faheem in the 14th over.

Amir walked into bat with Gladiators requiring 90 from 40 balls. . He hit a dexterous 23 off 14, on the back of four boundaries and a six, attempting to keep Quetta in the game, despite the mounting pressure. The 20-ball 41-run eighth-wicket stand was eventually broken when Amir fell to Obed McCoy in the 17th over.

Omair completed his second HBL PSL half-century (50, 37b, 4x4s, 1x6) before Faheem caught him at deep midwicket to award Naseem his second wicket.

Hunain rattled Abrar’s stumps in the penultimate over to finish the game, as Islamabad cruised to Eliminator 2, scheduled to be played on 16 March at National Bank Stadium at 9pm.

Imad Wasim was the pick of the bowlers for Islamabad, returning with three wickets for just 12 runs in his four overs. Naseem had two wickets while Faheem, Hunain and McCoy had one each.

Scores in brief

Islamabad United beat Quetta Gladiators by 39 runs.

Islamabad United 174-9, 20 overs (Martin Guptill 56, Salman Ali Agha 31: Mohammad Amir 2-20, Akeal Hosein 2-34)

Quetta Gladiators 135 all out, (Omair bin Yousuf 50, Akeal Hosein 31, Mohammad Amir 23; Imad Wasim 3-12, Naseem Shah 2-33)

Player of the match – Imad Wasim (Islamabad United)

Cant believe Islamabad defeated QG here. NSK is a spinners track and QG had two very good spinners.

ISB was 30 runs short, but Imad finally performed and got us an early advantage of QG and some very good fielding by Isb. Imad got help from the pitch as spinners do well here, but Shadab was just utter garbage and going 10 an over on this pitch is terrible.

Reminds me of the 70 not out he made against NZ when Pakistan were down and out. He was around 19 at the time and showed a lot of potential and never die attitude.
lol never die attitude, guy ran away from a international cricket all together for a UK visa.

In that match i think even Ajmal made some 30 runs and was his batting partner

I didn’t watch the game, but I am very surprised at how poor Quetta Gladiators have been.

I genuinely thought they would rinse the league this season with the players they had brought in.

He should be MOTM

He got it. Richly deserved. Credit to Imad for turning up in the last two games when the stakes got higher. Same for Amir as well. 2-20 off 4 overs is superb as well. Unfortunately, the batsmen in his side let the team down today.

Just like he should've won the PSL now?

He took 2-20 and produced a bowling spell which deserved to be a match winning contribution because not only was he the best bowler for his side but also because QG restricted IU to what was a below par score for that pitch. It was a batting friendly wicket where the par score was 200. To concede 20 runs, which is less than run a ball, is remarkable in those conditions.

But this all goes back to what I was saying to you yesterday, you just don't have it in you to praise anyone who's disliked by Misbah.

The bigger losses at that point in time were Salman Butt and Asif. If we had Butt instead of the dud captain Afridi, we would've had a chance

100% agree with Butt. We missed his captaincy and his batting as an opener.

Amir, however was a superior white ball bowler to Asif. He played an instrumental role in winning Pakistan 2 x ICC tournaments. You can dislike him as much as you like but you can't take that away from him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quetta just did not have it in them to win this one. They were poor throughout the season and probably did not deserve the playoff spot but because the other 2 teams were even worse then Quetta, they found themselves among the top 4. Islamabad deserved this victory. It was complete domination.

But this all goes back to what I was saying to you yesterday, you just don't have it in you to praise anyone who's disliked by Misbah.

Assume what you like, I already clarified my position to you on what I liked about Misbah.

As for Amir, he's not even in the top 10 bowlers this PSL. Even Hasan Ali bowled better than him.

A one off spell in a losing cause, in a t20 tournament. Seriously you consider that an achievement? Whereas Misbah took you to the semi-final and almost the final in the 2011 WC and you can't stop harping about what a loser he was. Double standards much?

Assume what you like, I already clarified my position to you on what I liked about Misbah.

As for Amir, he's not even in the top 10 bowlers this PSL. Even Hasan Ali bowled better than him.

A one off spell in a losing cause, in a t20 tournament. Seriously you consider that an achievement? Whereas Misbah took you to the semi-final and almost the final in the 2011 WC and you can't stop harping about what a loser he was. Double standards much?
Misbah ul haq took us to the semi final and almost thr final in 2011 wc? Huh?

He lost us the match in the semi final, major bruh moment.

Again, you’re proving my point. You can’t swallow your pride just for once to give Amir the credit he deserves, whether it be in relation to yesterday’s bowling performance or in respect of the role he played in Pakistan’s 2 x ICC tournament wins.

A one off spell in a losing cause, in a t20 tournament. Seriously you consider that an achievement?

2-20 on a batting friendly wicket where the par score was 200+ is commendable whether you like him or not.

Whereas Misbah took you to the semi-final and almost the final in the 2011 WC and you can't stop harping about what a loser he was. Double standards much?

Head in hand moment :facepalm

Let’s not even go there.

If you didn’t watch that semi-final. Misbah was the very reason why Pakistan didn’t make the final.

Misbah ul haq took us to the semi final and almost thr final in 2011 wc? Huh?

He lost us the match in the semi final, major bruh moment.

Misbah was the highest run scorer for Pak in the tournament and played a massive role to get us to the knock out.

Please watch replays of the semi-final to see who the real culprits were before blaming the lone warrior in that match.

Misbah was the highest run scorer for Pak in the tournament and played a massive role to get us to the knock out.

Please watch replays of the semi-final to see who the real culprits were before blaming the lone warrior in that match.

Mohali is famous for misbah botching. His performance is no different then saying Babar is a goat as he scored the most runs this psl. Despite being the biggest liability in opening due to his atrocious SR.

Are you doubting Babar's ability to hit 4s?

Don't forget it was Shadab's excellent catch that got Babar out today. They were going at 10 runs per over till he was batting. Would've taken the game out of reach if it wasn't for Shadab

Please stay on topic and there is no need to get involved in a personal conflict. No need to discuss Misbah ul haq here.

Are you doubting Babar's ability to hit 4s?

Don't forget it was Shadab's excellent catch that got Babar out today. They were going at 10 runs per over till he was batting. Would've taken the game out of reach if it wasn't for Shadab
Considering babar himself made 25 of 22 and has the worst Sr in psl, yes I'm doubting his ability.

Them going at 10RR is thanks to saim, nothing to do with babar who's barely going over 6.

Considering babar himself made 25 of 22 and has the worst Sr in psl, yes I'm doubting his ability.

Them going at 10RR is thanks to saim, nothing to do with babar who's barely going over 6.
That’s not true at all. Babar had the highest SR in the power play overs of any batsmen in the entire tournament. Last year his SR in the PP overs was 149.6.

Ever since he left KK for PZ he has had a 145+ SR. On top of that he had the highest runs in the entire tournament and also the highest number of 4’s.

Babar has been the most consistent batter in this PSL and he scored runs in each phase of the game and with some exceptional strike rate. Not sure why just 1 inning created doubt in your mind?

Lets not lie, it's not the lowest. Babar's strike rate was not the problem. Him getting out was. As I have mentioned many times, Peshawar's obvious weakness was that they were overly dependent on Babar. It took an excellent catch, by the best fielder in Pakistan to get him out.

Saim's inning, no matter how magnificent it was, did not win the game. Maybe he should've done more and gotten a 100 but we don't see that criticism here as it's only reserved for Babar and Rizwan

Babar has been the most consistent batter in this PSL and he scored runs in each phase of the game and with some exceptional strike rate. Not sure why just 1 inning created doubt in your mind?
I've watched 3-5 psl games this season, so far all PZ games I've watched babar has been terrible.

I started watching at the back end due to exams but him being the most consistent batter means nothing if 100% of the time their soft runs and non gaming winning contributions.

Lets not lie, it's not the lowest. Babar's strike rate was not the problem. Him getting out was. As I have mentioned many times, Peshawar's obvious weakness was that they were overly dependent on Babar. It took an excellent catch, by the best fielder in Pakistan to get him out.

Saim's inning, no matter how magnificent it was, did not win the game. Maybe he should've done more and gotten a 100 but we don't see that criticism here as it's only reserved for Babar and Rizwan
Saim took 2 wickets and made 74 at an impressive sr, he did enough.

It's a team man game and Babar was the cause of this failure.

His fault for not keeping pace whole batting, his fault for giving jamal an over instead of yaqoob, his fault for not calming the team down leading to overthrows, his fault for shouting at the team and creating even more pressure.

Saim took 2 wickets and made 74 at an impressive sr, he did enough.

It's a team man game and Babar was the cause of this failure.

His fault for not keeping pace whole batting, his fault for giving jamal an over instead of yaqoob, his fault for not calming the team down leading to overthrows, his fault for shouting at the team and creating even more pressure.

So basically he's at fault for trusting youngsters? Saim and Haris paid off today whereas Jamal failed. Who does he turn to in such a bowling line up

I've watched 3-5 psl games this season, so far all PZ games I've watched babar has been terrible.

I started watching at the back end due to exams but him being the most consistent batter means nothing if 100% of the time their soft runs and non gaming winning contributions.
At this point I think you’re just making up reasons to discredit him even though what you’re saying is not true.

He scored 5 50’s and 1 100. 3 out of those 5 50’s were in a winning cause and the 100 was also in a winning cause. PZ was one of the best teams in the entire tournament despite having one of the weakest bowling units and this was mainly due to Babar carrying the batting.

Even in their 3 losses during before today Babar scored while almost their entire team collapsed.
68(42)
72(51)
0(1) *he was run out*

Considering they were the second best team and had the potential to be the best if one of their matches hadn’t rained out, all while having one of the worst bowling units in the tournaments, almost all of his runs were in a winning contribution.

It’s fine if you only watched a few games, but then how can you possibly make statements on how he performed through the entire tournament?

So basically he's at fault for trusting youngsters? Saim and Haris paid off today whereas Jamal failed. Who does he turn to in such a bowling line up
They had one of the weakest bowling line ups in the entire tournament and Saim Ayub was performing as one of their best and most economical bowlers. It made a lot of sense to give Saim more overs. Hindsight is 20/20 and it’s always easy to criticize after a decision was made.

Naveen's absence made a huge difference as well. Jamal was pathetic with his spray gun bowling. Bowling was the main cause that Zalmi lost and there is no doubt about it. After 10 overs they were on top and nobody though that the bowlers would mess this thing up.

Babar will never be able to satisfy the critics because we are in denial of his great run and we want to stay as it is.

Considering they were the second best team and had the potential to be the best if one of their matches hadn’t rained out, all while having one of the worst bowling units in the tournaments, almost all of his runs were in a winning contribution.

It’s fine if you only watched a few games, but then how can you possibly make statements on how he performed through the entire tournament?
I'm talking about babar's inability to perform in pressure stages. Babar plays for himself, that's the problem..

I'm talking about babar's inability to perform in pressure stages. Babar plays for himself, that's the problem..
If a 57 average @ 142 SR all while carrying your team, with the worst bowling unit in the tournament, to second most wins is playing for yourself then I hope he continues to play for himself.

Back