Islamabad United (189/5) defeat Peshawar Zalmi (185/5) by 5 wickets to make their way into the final of PSL 9

Well there goes the Mr. Best Captain ever Babar Azam philosophy.

Schooled from 91-5 to 191-5 within 6-7 overs.

Hats off to Imad Wasim. His temperament is solid, he picked it up later on. He knows how to bat according to the situation. Pakistan blundered by benching him for that midget hack Nawaz.

Hats off to Imad Wasim. His temperament is solid, he picked it up later on. He knows how to bat according to the situation. Pakistan blundered by benching him for that midget hack Nawaz.

But wasn't he was playing a test match knock?

True. The crying face when he bowled that last over in Melbourne .

But wasn't he was playing a test match knock?

He was struggling, but man had a plan. I enjoyed how he kept talking to Haider Ali and even told him to respect Yaqoob, to rotate the strike and avoid the leg side hoiks early on. Nawaz in comparison is incapable of lasting more than 7 balls.

Poetic Justice!

Imad haters and all those who justified his exclusion from the Pakistan national team deserve this humiliation.
He played well but why are folks here always fighting over their favourites? He would have been taken to World Cup if he was performing consistently before

Why babar why. Why always it happens under babar’s captaincy. He leads the team well initially but in the middle overs something happens to him. Its crazy i can count so many matches under his captaincy we lost in middle overs.

tbf the bowling resources are bleak for PZ. The batting carried them throughout the tournament

I am not denying anything.

If you read the threads on this forum, Babar was some superior captain who could conjure wins out of thin air.

Its that mythology that needed to be destroyed.

And it was aptly destroyed tonight where a match he had in his hands was lost.

We need this version of Imad and Haider at 6 and 7 in the PCT. Our weakest spots and for Iftikar to be finally booted out

This entire loss is 100% babar's fault.

Horrible bowling decision to bowl jamal at the backend.

Horrible opening batting, all he had to do was keep up the pace that haris and saim ayub managed to achieve and complement them.

Saim bowled and batted his heart put today and this is what Mr no 1 did to thank his teammate?

I am not denying anything.

If you read the threads on this forum, Babar was some superior captain who could conjure wins out of thin air.

Its that mythology that needed to be destroyed.

And it was aptly destroyed tonight where a match he had in his hands was lost.
He is an average captain but . Shan>Rizwan>Babar
This entire loss is 100% babar's fault.

Horrible bowling decision to bowl jamal at the backend.

Horrible opening batting, all he had to do was keep up the pace that haris and saim ayub managed to achieve and complement them.

Saim bowled and batted his heart put today and this is what Mr no 1 did to thank his teammate?
Its alright. PSL is just to find the right talent and more importantly the right temperament to play for the national team. Saim, Haris and Haider if they can perform like this would be gold

He is an average captain but . Shan>Rizwan>Babar

Its alright. PSL is just to find the right talent and more importantly the right temperament to play for the national team. Saim, Haris and Haider if they can perform like this would be gold
Mate, this match literally just exposed how awful babar is as a t20 bat.

Babar is a decent bat but not suited for t20, watching him and rizwan open during those years was beyond frustrating.

Those 200 chases against c string attacks aside they lost more games then won it, Asia cup 2022 final and babar's game in the 2021 semi final is probably the biggest highlight.

These 2 players were never t20 material. And this game showed why t20 shouldn't be mixed with odi or test. Their different formats altogether.

Normally all format batsmen are usually atg's like kohli or rohit, otherwise players like sky are clearly more suited to t20 and players like younis Khan were clearly suited to test.

We need these players in our t20 team whereas Bobby can function in test and odi. We don't need anchors. But Bobby and rizzu aren't budging from the top order or stepping down from t20 so this game on identifying talent is useless.

Dil se dua hai, Allah hamesha tujhe khush aur kamyaab rakhe.

You paid a unnecessary, heavy price for being honest.

Haider Ali’s successful tullay were the only reason Islamabad won tonight.

Their innings were going nowhere otherwise. Good on Haider for this fluke.

No the only reason Islamabad win tonight is because babar is an idiot.

I literally said before the innings if PZ loses, its all jecause of babar's inability to support saim and haris' innings and his inability ti make good captaincy decisions.

Who told him to bowl a trundler in the 3rd last and penultimate bowler, those half volleys deserved to be hit. Who told babar to make 25 of 22 on this pitch? I saw the pitch and I knew they were 20 runs short.

Edit: I meant to say only reason PZ lost, obv Islamabad deserved the win thanks to imad and haider, taking nothing away from them.

No the only reason Islamabad win tonight is because babar is an idiot.

I literally said before the innings if PZ loses, its all jecause of babar's inability to support saim and haris' innings and his inability ti make good captaincy decisions.

Who told him to bowl a trundler in the 3rd last and penultimate bowler, those half volleys deserved to be hit. Who told babar to make 25 of 22 on this pitch? I saw the pitch and I knew they were 20 runs short.

Edit: I meant to say only reason PZ lost, obv Islamabad deserved the win thanks to imad and haider, taking nothing away from them.
On another day one of Haider’s hoiks goes straight up in the air and Imad runs out of partners and plays for his not out.

Just a stroke of luck for Shadab that Haider came off tonight. They were behind the game throughout till some random tullays at the end.

On another day one of Haider’s hoiks goes straight up in the air and Imad runs out of partners and plays for his not out.

Just a stroke of luck for Shadab that Haider came off tonight. They were behind the game throughout till some random tullays at the end.
These on another day excuses do not matter and their a very poor argument to present since you're presenting a hypothetical scenario of what may or may not happened which you can't possibly verify.

You know what I can verify? I can verify Babar losing for the millionth time due to bad captaincy and poor SR. This match is no different from what happened in the Semi final against Australia in 2021. Babar's innings and his stupid bowling decisions allowed Australia to recover, bounce back, Bully us and we were also 20 runs short thanks to Bobby.

This game was no different. Blame Bobby, its all his fault and deep down you know it as well.

These on another day excuses do not matter and their a very poor argument to present since you're presenting a hypothetical scenario of what may or may not happened which you can't possibly verify.

You know what I can verify? I can verify Babar losing for the millionth time due to bad captaincy and poor SR. This match is no different from what happened in the Semi final against Australia in 2021. Babar's innings and his stupid bowling decisions allowed Australia to recover, bounce back, Bully us and we were also 20 runs short thanks to Bobby.

This game was no different. Blame Bobby, its all his fault and deep down you know it as well.
Babar is a poor captain, that’s not debatable anymore.

However, Haider Ali winning a game for even a club team should be breaking news.

Multan should be able to maul this Islamabad side. Their top order is terrible.

Babar is a poor captain, that’s not debatable anymore.

However, Haider Ali winning a game for even a club team should be breaking news.

Multan should be able to maul this Islamabad side. Their top order is terrible.
Whether multan wins or not is a seprate story and will be handled then.

As I said my main point is that PZ lost not because they got unlucky or shadab got unlucky.

Pz caused their own downfall, no one told babar to bowl trundlers, saim had one over, so could have taken a risk with him rather then jamal who was getting beaten Black and blue anyway.

And babar's own batting does not help, plain and simple.

Congrats to IU for the win. This was a pretty great match and one heck of an innings for Haider Ali.

Really so happy for this kid who has gone through a lots of struggles and they seemed to have affected him mentally but it is genuinely so good to see him come up huge in such a big moment when IU were basically down & out. I don't know if anyone saw the IU interview podcast with Haider Ali but visibly you can tell he really struggled to cope with it. I hope he uses this and continues to build on it.

It also seems quite funny that Haider & Imad were out there together winning a knockout match for IU when they were down & out, the two guys that Karachi gave up on. As someone who is from Karachi and roots for Karachi, it is beyond disappointing they simply gave up on Haider after just one poor season... and he ends up winning a match for IU in a knockout game against the guy (Babar) he was traded for. Gave away Imad for little too and Karachi looks like they're disarray with little to no young talent.

Excited to see the two best teams on paper make the finals and I hope its a cracker.

zQuxDBL.jpeg

No I’m pretty sure you can debate this with @Mamoon
How is this up for debate when he almost took the weakest bowling attack in the tournament to the final. Why can't people give him credit for captaining his resources well when they are happy to criticize him when he doesn't?

No one knew anything about Saim Ayub's bowling - Babar opening the bowling with him proved to be a masterstroke. Why is it so difficult to acknowledge? If Saim Ayub playing for another franchise, opening the bowl and picking up early wickets, fans wouldn't stop waxing lyrical about the captain.

It is as if people don't want to Babar to do well as captain which is why they are upset when he does well.

@Mamoon

You deserve this humiliation
What humiliation?

Babar deserves a pat on the back for the way he managed the weakest bowling unit in the tournament. A lesser captain like Masood or Imad would have been long gone from this tournament.

Babar has been the best captain of the tournament when you look at the resources that he had at his disposal and it is not up for debate. Him opening the bowling with Saim Ayub was an extremely clever move and people with toxic agendas are not willing to give him credit for it which says more about them then it does about Babar.

Islamabad United qualified for the final of HBL PSL for the first time since 2018, on the back of a record seventh-wicket partnership between Imad Wasim and Haider Ali, as they beat Peshawar Zalmi by five wickets on Saturday night, at National Bank Stadium, Karachi in Eliminator Two. The final will be played on 18 March at the same venue.

Zalmi failed to defend their total of 185-5 as United batters overcame the early hiccup of being 50-4, and secured the berth in the HBL PSL 9 final, completing the target with an over to spare.

Islamabad United’s pursuit of the 186-run target met with adversity as Saim, fresh off his batting heroics, struck twice with the new ball; Alex Hales chipped one straight to Mehran Mumtaz at cover while Salman Ali Agha was bamboozled with a fullish carrom ball that rattled his stumps.

In the fourth over, Mehran knocked off Shadab Khan’s off-stump to leave United 23-3.

Martin Guptill, having lost three partners in the first four overs, teed off in the fifth as he hit Saim for 22 runs on the back of four boundaries and a six.

Khurram Shahzad landed another blow for Zalmi on the last ball of the sixth over as he dismissed Guptill for 34 off 21 balls, laced with five boundaries and a solitary six, leaving United in dire straits at 50-4.

Azam Khan and Imad Wasim got together to put up a 41-run fifth-wicket partnership injecting stability to United’s innings. Luke Wood destroyed Azam’s (22, 17b, 1x4, 1x6) stumps in the 11th over to leave United reeling with 95 required in nine overs.

Haider Ali joined Imad in the middle and the duo took it upon themselves to stage the rescue act. Haider got going with two boundaries against Aamir in the 13th over, while he bludgeoned Arif Yaqoob for a six in 15th over.

Aamir’s 18th over, yielding 23, became the nail in the coffin for Zalmi as Imad hit a first-ball four followed by Haider hitting two towering sixes and a four. Haider smashed Wood for his fifth six in the 19th over while Imad hit the winning runs. Imad (59 not out, 40b, 9x4s) and Haider (52 not out, 29b, 2x4s, 5x6s) added an unbeaten 98 for the seventh wicket, the highest in HBL PSL history, to take their side to the final.

For Zalmi, Saim bagged two wickets while Wood, Mumtaz and Khurram picked up on each.

Earlier, Peshawar Zalmi made the most of the opportunity to bat first as Shadab opted to field after winning the toss. Babar Azam and Saim stitched a fiery 72-run opening partnership after Saim he muscled Naseem Shah for a maximum in the first over.

In the following over, Obed McCoy found himself on the receiving end as the belligerent southpaw pummeled him for a six over fine leg and then followed it with two boundaries through cover and fine leg, respectively.

Salman was employed to bowl the fourth over and gave away 13 runs. Then, Saim welcomed Faheem Ashraf in the sixth over with three boundaries capping off the powerplay with 59 on the board.

Saim and Babar duo also became just the third opening pair, and the quickest, to score 1000 or more runs in HBL PSL history. Naseem returned to bowl the eight over and dismissed Babar (25, 22b, 2x4s, 1x6) as skipper Shadab plucked a spectacular catch at mid-off.

Babar also breached the 550-run mark in HBL PSL 9 for the second time in the history of the tournament, a feat that has only been achieved by Mohammad Rizwan twice, and Fakhar Zaman once.

Mohammad Haris joined Saim in the middle and the pair contributed with a 59-run second-wicket partnership. In the 10th over, Saim brought up his second HBL PSL 9 half-century in style with a maximum over long-off, taking 27 balls to do so.

With Zalmi poised for a huge total after having notched 130-1 in 14 overs, Shadab brought his team back into the game with the vital scalp of Saim in the 15th over. Saim returned for 73 off 44, comprising six boundaries and four maximums.

In the following over, Naseem dismissed Haris who returned a crucial 40 off 25, on the back of three fours and two sixes.

Tom Kohler-Cadmore ransacked 17 runs off the 17th over while Rovman Powell fell for a paltry two off seven in the following over. Kohler-Cadmore’s (18, 9b, 2x4s, 1x6) cameo was ended in the penultimate over by Naseem.

Aamir (17 not out, 9b, 1x4, 1x6) stitched a handy unbeaten 25-run sixth-wicket partnership with Hussain Talat (8 not out, 4b, 1x4), playing his first HBL PSL 9 game, to help Zalmi post 185-5 in the allotted 20 overs.

Naseem registered a three-wicket haul while McCoy and Shadab bagged one wicket each.

Scores in brief:

Islamabad United beat Peshawar Zalmi by five wickets

Peshawar Zalmi 185-5, 20 overs (Saim Ayub 73, Mohammad Haris 40, Babar Azam 25; Naseem Shah 3-30)

Islamabad United 189-5, 19 overs (Imad Wasim 59 not out, Haider Ali 52 not out, Martin Guptill 34; Saim Ayub 2-34)

Player of the match – Imad Wasim (Islamabad United)

Ammar Jamal singled handedly lost the game for PZ. Garbage bowler

No it was a good innings by Imad, He rightfully rotate the strike and played slow, because there was no need to attack and plus everyone knew Aamer Jamal would get an over.

Babar should had gambled on Yaqoob, because last time, against Islmaabd Yaqoob i think took 4 or 5 wickets as we were trying to strike him.

This was one of the best innings of Imad ever. Did not need to strike, respected teh good balls, went for a single and gave Haider the strike to attack cause we still had Faheem in the dugout aswell.

What humiliation?

Babar deserves a pat on the back for the way he managed the weakest bowling unit in the tournament. A lesser captain like Masood or Imad would have been long gone from this tournament.

Babar has been the best captain of the tournament when you look at the resources that he had at his disposal and it is not up for debate. Him opening the bowling with Saim Ayub was an extremely clever move and people with toxic agendas are not willing to give him credit for it which says more about them then it does about Babar.
Their arguments are ridiculous and makes no sense.
They are just trying to throw mud and hoping something would stick.

Sometimes its Babars captaincy vs Imads batting, than it becomes Babars opening vs Imads lower order batting (two different roles), than it becomes what Imad COULD had done.

Thing is, this match aside, international cricket media talks about Babar not Imad. When talks of the best player from the current lot is done from Pakistan, Babar is mentioned not Imad.

This argument is as flawed as me claiming that Iftikhar is the best Pakistani batter.

had they been arguing about Babar vs Rizwan that would had made sense, but this is just desperation. The fact that one guy performed in all games and the other performed in only 2 is all of a sudden the better player lol. If Islamabad loses the final, they will still defend Imad no matter what.

The desperation is hilarious, hoping for Imad to perform in one or two games and than do bhangra and comparisons.

Look at the level of both players

Babar gets compared to Greats, while Imad is compared to Babar lol

Daren Sammy's reaction on today's loss of PZ:

"We let them (IU) get back into the game during the overs 11 to 15. We scored only 33 runs during that period as a batting unit when we were on top of the game. We batted well in the first 10 (overs), we didn't bat well in the second 10 (overs). We bowled well in the first 10 overs and couldn't follow the suit in the second 10 and this probably also had been the hallmark of Peshawar Zalmi's performance this season."

Ammar Jamal singled handedly lost the game for PZ. Garbage bowler
I have said on multiple times he will cost many games for Pakistan with his bowling. He should stick to tests and maybe odis. He was going at nearly 10 an over in Pakistan cup a year ago.

I have said on multiple times he will cost many games for Pakistan with his bowling. He should stick to tests and maybe odis. He was going at nearly 10 an over in Pakistan cup a year ago.
if a guy cant bowl a consisstent line than what will he do in test?

Never impressed by this leg sidy haidar ali. He is a sweet spoon for any good international fast bowler.
Basically this.

A leg side hack with no offside game, can only feast on league level bowlers.

Islamabad has done a superb job so far and they have shown that they can chase any target under any condition. Simply superb stuff and what a time for Haider and imad to come back in form for their team.

The lengths Jamal bowls at is effective for Test Cricket, decent for the early to mid parts of ODI and T20 Cricket but he will always get trashed by good strikers at the death.

Basically this.

A leg side hack with no offside game, can only feast on league level bowlers.
Any good cricketing mind can get an idea about his batting skills just by looking at his shots played in last night. Full on tulla. The bowlers were consistently bowling him half volleys on legside, i think the quality of international cricketers in PSL is worst than any other international league, maybe lower than ILT20 and BPL. PSL is right down the bottom in terms of quality of cricket.
He is a hack!!

Back