Lions (263/9) secure a thrilling 12-run victory against the Stallions (251) in the Eliminator 1 of the Champions One Day Cup 2024

Got stuck after the powerplay. Needs to work on strike rotation and he can do good.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pakistan red ball coach Jason Gillespie during commentary at Eliminator 1 match between Lions and Stallions:

“I learned a pretty good lesson as a coach in the first Test against Bangladesh when Shaheen Afridi’s wife was due to give birth during the Test. My initial thought was for him not to play that Test and spend time with his family. Family first is a cornerstone of my beliefs. To his credit, Shaheen wants to play all the time; he’s wonderful and plays so much cricket. He was so keen to play, so in the end, we decided we would let him play. They welcomed their son during the Test, and in hindsight, I looked at it and thought I should have made that call and allowed him to have that important family time.”

Pakistan red ball coach Jason Gillespie during commentary at Eliminator 1 match between Lions and Stallions:

“I learned a pretty good lesson as a coach in the first Test against Bangladesh when Shaheen Afridi’s wife was due to give birth during the Test. My initial thought was for him not to play that Test and spend time with his family. Family first is a cornerstone of my beliefs. To his credit, Shaheen wants to play all the time; he’s wonderful and plays so much cricket. He was so keen to play, so in the end, we decided we would let him play. They welcomed their son during the Test, and in hindsight, I looked at it and thought I should have made that call and allowed him to have that important family time.”
Missing the birth of your child for losing a test against BD.Great decision maiing by shaheen i must say.

“I met Kamran Ghulam with the Pakistan Shaheens in Darwin. He performed quite well there, and he’s certainly in our thinking. But we want to show faith and belief in the players we’ve got. Kamran has been communicated that he’s been spoken about, and his form has been acknowledged. There are also guys in the Test squad who have been excellent over a period, and we want to reward that and show support to the current guys in the squad.”

“Sarfaraz has been a wonderful servant and has captained the country very well, but we know Saifi isn’t getting any younger. At some point, we’re going to need to start exploring and offering opportunities to some other players, and the same with spin bowling. There are a lot of young spinners on show in this tournament and in First Class cricket. We want to create depth in all disciplines. The domestic structure and the Shaheens will help with that.”

Tayyab surprisingly very fit and agile like Rishab Pant…despite the fact he looks pretty bulky

what are we talking 140-150 consistent or the odd ball
I can’t be sure but he doesn’t look military 135kmh to me

Definitely in the 140s.

Tall, well built. Beautiful action and hits the deck hard.

Bowls lovely out swingers at pace with the new ball. He’s one of the finds of this tournament for me.

I can’t be sure but he doesn’t look military 135kmh to me

Definitely in the 140s.

Tall, well built. Beautiful action and hits the deck hard.

Bowls lovely out swingers at pace with the new ball. He’s one of the finds of this tournament for me.
He is a proper 140-145k fast bowler but sadly he lacks brain cells to get the batsmen out and has no answer when the batsmen is going after him.

He is a proper 140-145k fast bowler but sadly he lacks brain cells to get the batsmen out and has no answer when the batsmen is going after him.
That’s fine, he’s 22 years old… he doesn’t have to be a ready made Dale Steyn

The basic ingredients are right with him. Just needs the right kind of polishing

You may disagree with me. But these are the players I like in Pakistani Cricket team. Despite their inconsistent performances. Because they are brave, fighters, mentally strong and always positively thinking about the modern game.

- Fakhar Zaman
- Mohammad Harris
- Aamer Jamal
- Mohammad Rizwan
- Salman Ali Agha
- Saim Ayub (Has to get rid of his no look shot)
- Naseem Shah
- Shaheen Afridi (Although lately he has fallen off a bit)
- Haider Ali (His comeback proves his mentality)
- Mir Hamza
- Khurram Shahzad
- Jahandad Khan (Although he's new)

On their day. Any of them can win Pakistan matches. Even the big ones. But PCB and some fans don't like them because they don't fit the perfect 'conservative' Cricketer box mentality.

You may disagree with me. But these are the players I like in Pakistani Cricket team. Despite their inconsistent performances. Because they are brave, fighters, mentally strong and always positively thinking about the modern game.

- Fakhar Zaman
- Mohammad Harris
- Aamer Jamal
- Mohammad Rizwan
- Salman Ali Agha
- Saim Ayub (Has to get rid of his no look shot)
- Naseem Shah
- Shaheen Afridi (Although lately he has fallen off a bit)
- Haider Ali (His comeback proves his mentality)
- Mir Hamza
- Khurram Shahzad
- Jahandad Khan (Although he's new)

On their day. Any of them can win Pakistan matches. Even the big ones. But PCB and some fans don't like them because they don't fit the perfect 'conservative' Cricketer box mentality.
What’s this for? BazzBall Red ball cricket?

He made sure people like you can distribute mithai by playing a T20 wc final.
Haris & Ayub have been given multiple chances to break the great partnership of baba & Rizwan & have failed miserably.

So here’s to another 3/4 years of Riz/bar & Pak getting a respectable 140

Ahmed Daniyal's unbeaten 65 and his three-wicket haul powered the Nurpur Lions to a 12-run victory over the Allied Bank Stallions in the first eliminator of the Bahria Town Champions One-Day Cup at Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad, on Wednesday. Defending a target of 264, the Lions bowled out the Stallions for 251 in 49.3 overs.

The second eliminator, scheduled for Friday between the Nurpur Lions and UMT Markhors, will determine the second finalist, who will face the Lake City Panthers on September 29.

After being reduced to 140-7, a crucial 81-run eighth-wicket partnership between Daniyal and Aamer Yamin (46 off 57 balls) lifted the Lions to a total of 263-9 in their allotted 50 overs. In response, the Stallions' chase faltered, with none of their batters surpassing 40. Daniyal (3-59) and Khushdil Shah (3-40) shared six wickets to seal the Lions' victory.

Earlier, the Lions, choosing to bat first, faced early trouble at 43-3 as debutant Ubaid Shah took three wickets in the powerplay. Mohammad Taha (47 off 59 balls) and Sharoon Siraj (38 off 50 balls) stabilized the innings with a 77-run partnership, but the Lions collapsed to 140-7 before Daniyal and Yamin's recovery effort.

Daniyal's knock included five sixes and two fours, while Yamin contributed with three boundaries and two sixes. For the Stallions, Ubaid finished with figures of 3-46, while Adil Amin and Maaz Sadaqat claimed two wickets each, and Haris Rauf took one.

In their chase, the Stallions lost regular wickets, slipping to 139-5 and then 187-6. Mohammad Haris (30 off 42 balls) and Jahandad Khan (36 off 31 balls) kept their team in the hunt with a 39-run seventh-wicket stand, but Haris' dismissal in the 46th over left the Stallions needing 38 from 25 balls, eventually falling 12 runs short.

Yasir Khan top-scored for the Stallions with 39 off 42 balls, while Mohammad Mohsin (30 off 30 balls) and Tayyab Tahir (28 off 53 balls) were the other notable contributors. Apart from Daniyal and Khushdil, Faisal Akram, Sharoon Siraj, and Sirajuddin each took one wicket.

Scores in brief

Nurpur Lions 263-9, 50 overs (Ahmed Daniyal 65 not out, Mohammad Taha 47, Aamer Yamin 46, Sharoon Siraj 38; Ubaid Shah 3-46, Adil Amin 2-35, Maaz Sadaqat 2-50)

Allied Bank Stallions 251 all out, 49.3 overs (Yasir Khan 39, Jahandad Khan 36, Hussain Talat 32, Mohammad Mohsin 30. Mohammad Haris 30, Tayyab Tahir 28; Khushdil Shah 3-40, Ahmed Daniyal 3-59, Sharoon Siraj 1-21)

Player of the match: Ahmed Daniyal (Nurpur Lions)

Next fixture (Eliminator 2 - 27 September): UMT Markhors vs Nurpur Lions, Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad at 3pm (local time)

Back