Lucky break? Could Virat Kohli's slowest T20I fifty have cost India the final of ICC T20 World Cup 2024?

Could Virat Kohli's slowest T20I fifty have cost India the final of ICC T20 World Cup 2024?

• Total voters

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Virat Kohli's scored the slowest fifty of his whole career today in the ICC World Cup 2024 Final. He made a 48-ball fifty today and it was only in the end when he played some attacking shots. At one moment in the match South Africa were cruising to the victory with 26 required off 24 balls.

So had Bumrah & Co not applied the breaks on South Afrcan assualt, would we have seen people bashing him instead of the unfair Man of the Match (M.O.M) award?

1719691859567.png

I watched his whole innings and wouldn't have bashed him if India lost.

He played very well and scraped his way to getting his team to a fighting score.

If he got out what would have happened? Who would have scored at the faster rate that people wanted?

Now the whole discussion has become moot. Bumrah should have won the MOM. But he is winning it for his 2014/2016. You know sometimes how they give oscars? They give oscars undeservingly to an actor if they fail to give previous editions. Many such occurrences. This is one such occasion. At the end of the day they conjured a win with all the flaws and errors. That is what important.

Could have, would have, if and buts—blah blah—can be discussed umpteen times, but he negotiated the tough phase after 30/3, losing our top guns Rohit, SKY, and Pant, and made sure there was no further collapse until the end. He also accelerated when it was needed.

If not for Kohli, we wouldn't have posted 170 on the boar, could have been folded for 150. :dhoni

Now the whole discussion has become moot. Bumrah should have won the MOM. But he is winning it for his 2014/2016. You know sometimes how they give oscars? They give oscars undeservingly to an actor if they fail to give previous editions. Many such occurrences. This is one such occasion. At the end of the day they conjured a win with all the flaws and errors. That is what important.
Bumrah got the player of the tournament which is a far more prestigious award. Kohli's innings was crucial too but Bumrah was 100% more impactful. But since Bumrah was getting player of the series, I guess the powers that be were comfortable in giving Kohli the MoTM in his final T20I match

Who cares man, they won in the end, and the guy retired, so all this is unnecessary noise, everything fell in place and everyone did their job, let them be happy and savor the win.

Bumrah got the player of the tournament which is a far more prestigious award. Kohli's innings was crucial too but Bumrah was 100% more impactful. But since Bumrah was getting player of the series, I guess the powers that be were comfortable in giving Kohli the MoTM in his final T20I match
Bumrah deserved Man of the Match

It wasn’t a good innings and we almost lost because of it.

But he’s a ATG and as I said in another post, he deserves his luck after so many years of excellence.

It would have if bumrah didn't do what he did.

But the same argument can be made thay india would have collapsed for 140 if kohli didn't do what he did

Agree with OP. The wicket was fine and Kohli was unnecessarily risk averse. Sure, today the cricketing Gods smiled upon India but that was a typical match losing inning that Kohli has perfected in T20s.

Just ask RCB fans.

If my dad's performance was even 0.00001 mm off the mark, I wouldn't have been born.

These kind of threads are like that. Irrelevant

India won a cup and he is MoM. It's irrelevant to argue on the merit of it.

extreemely under rated comment ever to have been made on this forum. This deserves a Post of the decade award ( seriously !! )

We were 40 odd for 3 , I was wishing that Kohli should just play run a ball from now, we would have fallen like nine pins if not for him.

It would have if bumrah didn't do what he did.

But the same argument can be made thay india would have collapsed for 140 if kohli didn't do what he did
+1

Kohli getting out cheaply may have resulted in India making 130-140. He could have started hitting a few overs earlier, but anyway a good knock. SA needed some one to play like Kohli till the end.

But yes, It was Bumrah who stopped SA getting run a ball when SA just had 40 runs in 2 overs before that and game was pretty much over.

We were 40 odd for 3 , I was wishing that Kohli should just play run a ball from now, we would have fallen like nine pins if not for him.

Rohit was in same situation against Australia. He blitzed them apart. I don't think he has that kind of 5th gear game especially on these pitches which held a touch.

But he’s a ATG and as I said in another post, he deserves his luck after so many years of excellence.
Didn't watch match but it was good innings tbh but not deserved MoM award.. one of Pandya or Bumrah should've won it..

Rohit made a lot of playing XI blunders in this match and throughout the tournament. But Bumrah's genius and Kuldeep in the semi finals covered those mistakes up.

Even Kohli who was basically a passenger through the tournament wont be criticised. When the team wins, saat khoon maaf

Rohit was in same situation against Australia. He blitzed them apart. I don't think he has that kind of 5th gear game especially on these pitches which held a touch.
Rohit was also in similar situations in many World Cups before but never delivered. Both Rohit and Kohli have played many World Cups together. Who won more matches when facing a 30/3 situation? Give credit where it's due, bro rather than comparing. You seem not happy.

I don't post here often anymore but logged in to send my commiserations to my good old friend @The Bald Eagle

Whatever he has predicted so far gone wrong. Modi is still the PM, 9th June ended in humiliation and India ended up being champions.

But its okay, CT 2025 will be played in Pakistan. Ummid pe duniya kayam hai or as they say.

:kp

Rohit was also in similar situations in many World Cups before but never delivered. Both Rohit and Kohli have played many World Cups together. Who won more matches when facing a 30/3 situation? Give credit where it's due, bro rather than comparing. You seem not happy.
Dude. i said we won. So it is moot now discussing. He has retired. So it is all good.

Have some cricketing logic . India scored 184 against afganistan in super 8's . 180 is just par on this track. Daley Steyn in post match said, " there is a proven stat in t20 that when you lose 3 wickets insider power play, 85 % of times teams lost".

India were 168/5 in 19overs with kohli gone. With pandya/jadeja playing the last over, India were atleast 4-6 runs short which would have given 180.

Kohlis innings is great. Its klasens abnormal 24 runs off axar Patel which made the match closer otherwise its advantage india all through out specially bumrah having 2 overs in the last 5.

Back your claims with cricketing logic instead of belittling a great innings.

We lost in 2023 ODI World Cup not scoring par runs, Kohlis knock helped india score close to 180 which is par in a World Cup final and also keeping in view of the conditions.

It's difficult to admit when one was wrong. Kohli was bad in this tournament no doubt but he played a masterclass innings today. He showed why the team was right to stick with him till the end.

He was always going to bow out after this tournament but he deserved to play one last time.

Some had to do what Kohli did for SA and SA would have won easily.

Oh bro was missing you since Indian elections, anyways congratulations and have fun tonight
I don't post here often anymore but logged in to send my commiserations to my good old friend @The Bald Eagle

Whatever he has predicted so far gone wrong. Modi is still the PM, 9th June ended in humiliation and India ended up being champions.

But its okay, CT 2025 will be played in Pakistan. Ummid pe duniya kayam hai or as they say.

Have some cricketing logic . India scored 184 against afganistan in super 8's . 180 is just par on this track. Daley Steyn in post match said, " there is a proven stat in t20 that when you lose 3 wickets insider power play, 85 % of times teams lost".

India were 168/5 in 19overs with kohli gone. With pandya/jadeja playing the last over, India were atleast 4-6 runs short which would have given 180.

Kohlis innings is great. Its klasens abnormal 24 runs off axar Patel which made the match closer otherwise its advantage india all through out specially bumrah having 2 overs in the last 5.

Back your claims with cricketing logic instead of belittling a great innings.

We lost in 2023 ODI World Cup not scoring par runs, Kohlis knock helped india score close to 180 which is par in a World Cup final and also keeping in view of the conditions.
What is your definition of cricketing logic?

Kohli dragged the pace of the innings. He clogged up the game. We got out of jail because of Bumrah and Bumrah alone.

The facts are it was 30 required off 30 with 6 wickets in hand and two rampaging players at the crease, and SA cruising to a win. And we were short of runs, mainly due the slow pace of Kohli’s innings.

Every analysis (and I’d guess analyst) puts SA ahead of the game until Bumrah turned up.

Kohli got lucky, but he deserved it.

By the by one over in 20:20 is five percent of one innings. Don’t make Klassen’s 24 sound like it’s a momentary thing.

And advantage India all the way till that klaasen over? What game were you watching?

Kohli’s a great innings? I have to shake my head. It was nowhere close. He’s a great player, an ATG, but this innings he got lucky that it did not turn out badly.

Exactly the feeling of every Indian fan at that time. If Kohli got out there, it was upto Pandya, Dube, Axar, Jadeja to score 130 runs. That would be almost impossible. I will credit a part of Axar and Dube's success to Kohli.

Well not about Indian elections :) which was a stunner for BJP alliance

LOL guy just won a WC and played his last T20I.
There is no point in analysing this, just let them enjoy the moment!

What is your definition of cricketing logic?

Kohli dragged the pace of the innings. He clogged up the game. We got out of jail because of Bumrah and Bumrah alone.

The facts are it was 30 required off 30 with 6 wickets in hand and two rampaging players at the crease, and SA cruising to a win. And we were short of runs, mainly due the slow pace of Kohli’s innings.

Every analysis (and I’d guess analyst) puts SA ahead of the game until Bumrah turned up.

Kohli got lucky, but he deserved it.

By the by one over in 20:20 is five percent of one innings. Don’t make Klassen’s 24 sound like it’s a momentary thing.

And advantage India all the way till that klaasen over? What game were you watching?

Kohli’s a great innings? I have to shake my head. It was nowhere close. He’s a great player, an ATG, but this innings he got lucky that it did not turn out badly.

Go check umpteen IPL matches where teams lost in the last over by one run. When team is 35/3 in 6 overs, Kohli had to play percentage cricket. Had it been 40/4, we were looking at 130 . Your bias has no limit, no point arguing.

It's the extraordinary innings of klasen which is giving an impression 177 was not enough which proved to be the difference in the end. Kohli ensured India scored the highest total in a t20 final.

24 runs off axar Patel is making you believe the close match as one sided. its the brilliance of klasen, agreed but in no way undermines kohli's stellar contribution.

Give me the rationale behind wanting Kohli to play aggressively when rohit/surya/pant perished inside the power play. Axars run out too(silly run out_ might have pushed kohli to again consolidate which resulted in india scoring probably 10 runs short

South African spinners bowled well where as Kuldeep and axar failed. From 35/3 India scoring 180 is solely the brilliance of kohli which kept india in the game.

Kohli is a lucky guy as the Bumrah and Co today saved him from an eternal bashing had India lost

I was thinking about this when South Africa were batting well. Had India lost this match, the knives would have been out for Kohli. But luckily for him, the total proved to be enough. And now this innings will be remembered as one of the best farewell knocks. That's how it works folks. History is written by the victors.

Kohli adapted his play to suit the conditions of the pitch, which was notably slow; in 33 innings at this venue, 200 runs has been only scored once

Many fail to appreciate how differently each ground plays. They'll praise Rizwan's and Babar's 50 off 45 balls on a fast pitch, where another player might have scored 50 off 25 balls, yet they'll often downplay Kohli's performance under tougher conditions

Kohli is a lucky guy as the Bumrah and Co today saved him from an eternal bashing had India lost
He hit three boundaries in the first over. And that is not his natural game at all. It is clear that team plan was to go all in in the power play and not give Kohli some time to settle down like he likes to.

But today Pant and Sky's failures forced the gameplan to play to Kohli's strengths. He anchored two major partnerships. If he had stuck around for another over he could have gotten 20 more but got out which happens when you for high risk shots

Let's be honest, this was a 200 pitch. At 23/0 in 1.2 overs, no Indian fan would've taken 176 by the end of the innings.

Kohli/India decided to be 20-30 under par rather than 50-60, and let the pressure of a final do the rest. Luckily for Kohli/India, South Africa did succumb to pressure.

He should've kicked on after 12 overs, but waited until the last four. Good knock under the circumstances, but doesn't compare to the two Samuels epics or even Gambhir's.

Let's be honest, this was a 200 pitch. At 23/0 in 1.2 overs, no Indian fan would've taken 176 by the end of the innings.

Kohli/India decided to be 20-30 under par rather than 50-60, and let the pressure of a final do the rest. Luckily for Kohli/India, South Africa did succumb to pressure.

He should've kicked on after 12 overs, but waited until the last four. Good knock under the circumstances, but doesn't compare to the two Samuels epics or even Gambhir's.
Yes, it was a 200 pitch, but we fell short not because of Kohli who had started with a bang, but because of wickets tumbling at the other end. At 34/3, I would have gladly taken 176, considering what happened at 2023 final when Rohit/Kohli fell. For all you know India could have ended up at 120 if not for Kohli.

But I do agree Kohli could have teed off earlier - probably around 14 over mark. Especially could have attacked Nortje more especially since he was taken down many times in this WC and even before in the IPL.

actually kohli saved himself tonight after playing this match saving inning.. he proved now that he is a big match player who can handle pressure better than anyone else.

Kohli was the difference between 120 to 130 and 176.

Basically he gave India the margin to play with.

LOL guy just won a WC and played his last T20I.
There is no point in analysing this, just let them enjoy the moment!
+1

He retired from T20. No need to analyze too much when he was MOM in finals.

Kohli adapted his play to suit the conditions of the pitch, which was notably slow; in 33 innings at this venue, 200 runs has been only scored once

Many fail to appreciate how differently each ground plays. They'll praise Rizwan's and Babar's 50 off 45 balls on a fast pitch, where another player might have scored 50 off 25 balls, yet they'll often downplay Kohli's performance under tougher conditions
Yah, 200 is not a par score in this ground. 176 was a good score for a final here and only reason SA got close was due to a brilliant knock by Klas who killed all spinners.

Yah, 200 is not a par score in this ground. 176 was a good score for a final here and only reason SA got close was due to a brilliant knock by Klas who killed all spinners.
I think this became a gettable score because of India's rigid team selection regardless of conditions. Barbados wickets are likely to favor seamers more than spinners.

Kohli could have pressed the gas pedal an over earlier but all that is immaterial now. Winning cures everything He scored 75+ and won MoTM in a world cup final. Only that will matter after tomorrow.

I think this has some shades of Imran's semifinal knock.

There was some need for anchoring given situation but definitely anchor was not discarded soon enough (i.e. by over 14)

In the end SA's choke for the ages has ensured that this inns wont be scrutinized too much.

Had india lost this game, all the guns would have been pointed towards him but it was a good inning in the context of the game. India lost quick wickets so someone has to go deep and that is what kohli did. Kudos to him.

Last edited:

you also know they were 30 for 3 or something?
there is no point in analysing this innings, as he guided India through the innings. What is also true is that they have a bolwing attack that is capable of restricting teams when bowling.

and by the way Samuels needed a freak over from Carlos to win THAT game. It did not even look like they would be winning. Ben Stokes bottled that big time!

Suddenly a SR of 129 has become the epitome of success.

Even if India lost the game, Kohli's innings is the one that got them to a highly competitive score. And it would he foolish to blame him.

Even if India lost the game, Kohli's innings is the one that got them to a highly competitive score. And it would he foolish to blame him.
Its a team effort.
India has guys around VK who can actually score 150 SR at will.

It was a decisive inning. The only reason it got so close was because of Axar's last over, which costed India 24 runs.
It was a tactical blunder from Rohit. Hardik had 1 over left at the end. Knowing Klaasen's strength against the spin and the pitch condition, Rohit could have gone to Hardik (or Bumrah), which could have saved at least 10 runs on that over and India should’ve won it comfortably. Having said that, Kohli could have pressed the trigger earlier.

During a program on a sports media outlet, Sanjay Manjrekar stated:

"By playing that innings, Hardik Pandya, one of their most devastating batters, had just two balls to face. So I thought India's batting was good, but Virat Kohli had potentially played an innings that would've put India in a tight corner. And it almost proved to be that, before these guys' bowlers came in the end.”

"India were in a losing position, 90 percent winning chances [for South Africa]. The complete turnaround actually saved Virat Kohli's innings because he played virtually half the innings with a strike-rate of 128. My Player of the Match would've been a bowler because they actually took the game from the jaws of defeat and won it for India."

Yes

Use it to justify the greatness of Babar and Rizwan the openers

During a program on a sports media outlet, Sanjay Manjrekar stated:

"By playing that innings, Hardik Pandya, one of their most devastating batters, had just two balls to face. So I thought India's batting was good, but Virat Kohli had potentially played an innings that would've put India in a tight corner. And it almost proved to be that, before these guys' bowlers came in the end.”

"India were in a losing position, 90 percent winning chances [for South Africa]. The complete turnaround actually saved Virat Kohli's innings because he played virtually half the innings with a strike-rate of 128. My Player of the Match would've been a bowler because they actually took the game from the jaws of defeat and won it for India."
This is so correct. Ind got out of jail here. Still can't fathom how SA lost this. 26 in 26 with 6 wickets with klaasen and Miller there.. just shows how exceptional bumrah was and pandya bowled tight. This will take SA a long time to recover. Not that I am complaining. Bumrah and pandya should together have been the POTM.

That's fair but India has one accumulator who has now retired.

Pakistan has 2 of them, that

A) Aren't anywhere close to kohli.

B) Are both opening.

You have 2 thorns instead of 1, and that 1 thorn is still an ATG and you can expect him to come good against quality oppositions and play atg knocks

These 2 thorns are less thorns and more like knives pierced into the back of Pakistan.

If not for Klassen's brilliant knock it would not have been an interesting match at all. No fault in Kohli's inning considering the situation India were at 30/3. One could argue he should have started hitting an over or two earlier, but this was not a bad total. World Cup final match and a target of almost 180 with the bowlers India had, it was not a bad total. One has to give credit to Klassen for that sort of inning on a world cup final. Considering how well South Africans were playing spin, Rohit had to give that Axar's over to Pandya or Bumrah as Pandya bowled only 3 overs. I don't see many fault in Kohli's innings but brilliance by Klassen in a high pressure game

This is so correct. Ind got out of jail here. Still can't fathom how SA lost this. 26 in 26 with 6 wickets with klaasen and Miller there.. just shows how exceptional bumrah was and pandya bowled tight. This will take SA a long time to recover. Not that I am complaining. Bumrah and pandya should together have been the POTM.
Kohli's Innings is one of those Rorsach tests. Everybody sees what they wants to see

Glass half full guys will see how he steadied the innings in a crisis, built the structure and sped up towards the end.

Glass half empty guys will see how he accelerated too late, couldn't pick up the pace and left 20 runs on the table by not trusting the likes of Pandya to finish.

In 10 years, I doubt anyone will remember any specifics of the innings except the warm glow in which he retired.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a poor innings.

Fortunately, India had the likes of Bumrah, Arsh , Pandya to pull it back.

Thankfully , we don't have bottlers like Rauf in our attack.

It was a poor innings.

Fortunately, India had the likes of Bumrah, Arsh , Pandya to pull it back.

Thankfully , we don't have bottlers like Rauf in our attack.
It was a poor innings until the end where he hit some crucial sixes

Those late runs by Kohli and Dube were massively important

It was a poor innings until the end where he hit some crucial sixes

Those late runs by Kohli and Dube were massively important

Yes but as you well know an innings which wastes so many balls is a poor T20 innings and could have potentially cost India yet again.

Even Babar and Rizwan can accelerate after facing so many deliveries.

Kohli's Innings is one of those Rorsach tests. Everybody sees what they wants to see

Glass half full guys will see how he steadied the innings in a crisis, built the structure and sped up towards the end.
Glass half empty guys will see how he accelerated too late, couldn't pick up the pace and left 20 runs on the table by not trusting the likes of Pandya to finish.

In 10 years, I doubt anyone will remember any specifics of the innings except the warm glow in which he retired.
Man - it's easy to say now. During the match live - I was consigned to one more WC loss as were probably 99.9%of ind supporters including ind team. Klaasen just took 24 off axar. And they needed 26 in 26. I thought they will finish it in 3 overs.. it was just a bumrah special. One for the ages.. the very best in a t20wc final ever.. glad ind won or else kohli jadeja chahal would have been back for the 2026 t20wc to get that elusive WC win and the saga would have continued 😂

Yes but as you well know an innings which wastes so many balls is a poor T20 innings and could have potentially cost India yet again.

Even Babar and Rizwan can accelerate after facing so many deliveries.
Agreed.

It’s a tough one.

A) I either stand by what I have always argued and say this is a poor innings because the role of a T20 opener isn’t to assess what would happen if he gets out, and just look to maximise every ball in the powerplay, and keep going after the powerplay.

B) Or I argue that this innings was very important in the context of the biggest T20 game a player can play (a word cup final).

I would try to make sense of option B here, and that is the fact that in form players, not just top order batsmen but in form top order batsmen lost their wickets very early inside the powerplay. India were really up against it. Sharma (key performer), Pant (clutch performer) and Sky (best Batsman who was also in form) all in the dug out in the powerplay. All that they had left in tank was an out of form and confidence Kohli, an inspired and brave Axar, a supposedly out of place Dube, a key wicket or Hardik and a non firing Jadeja.

There is just far too much going on in the mind of Kohli here. It’s probably the only time I can say that as an ‘opener’, he had no choice but to be careful. India needed a partnership and he was kind of bailed out by Axar playing freely and at a good strike rate in this partnership.

This innings was excellent had Kohli been batting at 3 or 4. It’s just the fact that he came in as an opener where the scrutiny is totally justified

The fact that Sky grabbed that lucky catch and SA choked just saved Kohli otherwise no one would have praised him here.

Kohli was correct in playing safe initially but should have started accelerating from 12-13th overs onwards instead of waiting for 18th over. Cost us 10-15 runs which could have been very crucial in the end

Ultimately Bumrah saved India

The fact that Sky grabbed that lucky catch and SA choked just saved Kohli otherwise no one would have praised him here.
Exactly. Plus Bumrah + Arshdeep

To be honest its good to see an Indian batter benefit from having good bowlers. Many years back during a discussion between Australian & Indian commentators, Sunny Gavaskar said that Ricky Ponting & Steve Waugh are seen as match-winners bcoz they have McGrath & Warne to take 20 wickets but Sachin Tendulkar does not - hence a lot of his centuries end up for the losing cause

Kohli for a change ended up on the winning side despite a mediocre innings thanks to India's better bowling

If Kohli had gotten out early, India would have been brutally thrashed. He was determined not to take even a 1% risk by being extremely cautious, eliminating any chance of getting out. If he had been dismissed early, his bashers would have as usual started bashing him for bottling yet another final. Now that he played a key role in the victory, they're nitpicking to find ways to criticize him.

Highest Scorers in T20 WC Finals:
Mature innings secured the trophies in the finals.

12007Gambhir in 2007 (75 off 54)
22009Afridi in 2009 (54 off 40)
32010Kieswetter in 2010 (63 off 49)
42012Samuels in 2012 (78 off 56)
52014Kumar Sangakkara (52 off 35)
62016Samuels in 2016 (85 off 66)
72021Mitchell Marsh (77 off 50)
82022Ben stokes in 2022 (52 off 49)
92024Kohli in 2024 (76 off 59)

Fortunately, Kohli scored some runs and set a good target. Otherwise, Bumrah and Arshdeep wouldn't have had the chance to finish their full quota of bowling. South African batsmen would have thrashed in 15 overs.

Virat innings was not that important considering India had inform Pandiya who didnt even get to bat properly. What made the differnce through out the WC for india was Bumrah. If you have a bowler who is going to deliver every single time and bowl at a run a ball or less after 15th over of the innings you will win most games.

Virat can play an innings like that if you have Bumrah in the line up so he can get away by saying I made sure Bumrah had the score to do his magic which is fair enough otherwise maybe he would have played quicker who knows. What was more criminal is to give man of the match award to Virat when only person who won the match from a losing postion is Bumrah.

If Kohli had gotten out early, India would have been brutally thrashed. He was determined not to take even a 1% risk by being extremely cautious, eliminating any chance of getting out. If he had been dismissed early, his bashers would have as usual started bashing him for bottling yet another final. Now that he played a key role in the victory, they're nitpicking to find ways to criticize him.
It was just a normal innings and no way worthy of MOM award that was Bumrah. Bumrah has been robbed of his award when it was clear cut.

Fortunately, Kohli scored some runs and set a good target. Otherwise, Bumrah and Arshdeep wouldn't have had the chance to finish their full quota of bowling. South African batsmen would have thrashed in 15 overs.
They basically choked as usual. Big credits to them

Thats doesnt seem like on merit then
Everyone knows that. Think of it as winning an Oscar for this year for your performance few years back. Purely in terms of impact atleast 2 or 3 guys ahead of him. Bumrah, Pandya, Arshdeep.

Back