Mickey Arthur to be consultant team director, Grant Bradburn Head Coach & Morne Morkel bowling coach

KingOfPakBreakfast

Local Club Regular
Runs
Post of the Week
Mickey Arthur to be consultant team director, Grant Bradburn Head Coach & Morne Morkel bowling coach

I’ve just read that Mickey is coming back as team consultant director.

Grant Bradburn - Head Coach
Bowling Coach - Morne Morkel
Batting Coach - Andrew Puttick

Any thoughts on Morkel as bowling coach? He’s working in the IPL so he’s clearly got a level of qualification about him. Have 0 idea on Puttick.

==

Former head coach of the Pakistan team, Mickey Arthur, is set to be appointed as the consultant team director by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

Grant Bradburn is likely to work as the head coach of the team. Former South African fast bowler, Morne Morkel, is expected to join as the bowling coach, while Andrew Puttick is set to work as the batting coach.

The coaching panel is expected to join the team before the start of the home series against New Zealand, which is set to begin on April 14, featuring five T20 Internationals and as many ODI matches.

Physio, Cliffe Deacon, and strength and conditioning coach, Drikus Saaiman, are the two foreign coaches already working with the national team.

Mickey will travel to Pakistan for a shorter time period and will return back to Derbyshire where he will be fulfilling duties as the head coach.

However, Morne Morkel will not be part of the coaching panel for the series against New Zealand as he is associated with an Indian Premier League (IPL) team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Any thoughts on Morkel as bowling coach? He’s working in the IPL so he’s clearly got a level of qualification about him. Have 0 idea on Puttick.

I think we need a coach for red ball bowling. Our T20 bowlers have all the tricks. We need someone shrewd who knows how to train bowlers to hit the right lengths in places like Australia. I would have liked someone like Otis Gibson. We are okay in white ball. I am eagerly awaiting the Aus tour, we have not been able to take 20 wickets there.

I think we need a coach for red ball bowling. Our T20 bowlers have all the tricks. We need someone shrewd who knows how to train bowlers to hit the right lengths in places like Australia. I would have liked someone like Otis Gibson. We are okay in white ball. I am eagerly awaiting the Aus tour, we have not been able to take 20 wickets there.

In that case, isn’t Morkel a really good shout? I think he could do wonders with someone like an Ihsanullah (inshAllah). I would like to see him technically help all the bowlers in generating out swing, which we struggle to do.

Morkel will be ideal for Ihsanullah and Hasnain

How do people rate Bradburn? What kind of tactics does he usually employ as a strategist? I read that he was Pakistan’s fielding coach until 2018 and that’s a good sign because our fielding definitely improved from 2015-2017 at least (CT) with plenty of good emerging fielders

==

Former head coach of the Pakistan team, Mickey Arthur, is set to be appointed as the consultant team director by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB).

Grant Bradburn is likely to work as the head coach of the team. Former South African fast bowler, Morne Morkel, is expected to join as the bowling coach, while Andrew Puttick is set to work as the batting coach.

The coaching panel is expected to join the team before the start of the home series against New Zealand, which is set to begin on April 14, featuring five T20 Internationals and as many ODI matches.

Physio, Cliffe Deacon, and strength and conditioning coach, Drikus Saaiman, are the two foreign coaches already working with the national team.

Mickey will travel to Pakistan for a shorter time period and will return back to Derbyshire where he will be fulfilling duties as the head coach.

However, Morne Morkel will not be part of the coaching panel for the series against New Zealand as he is associated with an Indian Premier League (IPL) team.

Wow great!! So after absentee Mickey Arthur..we will also have absent bowling coach for New zealand series.. what is this tamasha going on??

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow great!! So after absentee Mickey Arthur..we will also have absent bowling coach for New zealand series.. what is this tamasha going on??

Waqar Younis is available

We can hire him if you like?

Morkel will be coming off of having coached in the IPL, so we’re getting a higher quality experienced bowling coach than we have had in forever. Look at the bigger picture.

Can't say how this will turn out, it's best to wait and watch in this scenario.

Note that this is not confirmed by the PCB

Morkel will be coming off of having coached in the IPL, so we’re getting a higher quality experienced bowling coach than we have had in forever. Look at the bigger picture.

What coaching qualifications do Morne Morkel have?
Also what will be his committment to Pak team? Will he also leave every time for IPL? Its seriously embarrasing..
atleast have full time coaches..rather than people who have their priorities in county, other franchise leagues like IPL…

We were told while Mickey wont behere..his support staff will work..but now our bowling coachalso have priority elsewhere

Yasir Arafat would have been a better choice in this regard…ECB level 4 qualified coach, experience of coaching in county, plus full time committment to Pak team…

Good to see PCB has finally started to do some homework rather than only going for the top names who are rarely available due to leagues and stuff.

So the potential names;

Grant Bradburn: He has coached domestic team (Norther Districts) in NZ for a brief period, have coached NZ A and U19 as well. Further he has also coached Scotland and they won a historic ODI vs Eng under his tenure. He has worked with Pakistan team as well as fielding coach and head of high performance so he knows the culture and everything.

Andrew Puttick: Level 3 coaching certificate from CSA. Has over 10,000 FC runs and is coaching for over 5 years now. Have worked with Western Province Cricket association in SA, have worked with both SA men and women emerging squads, has been an assistance coach with SA Men A team and has been batting coach for SA women team for over 3 years now.

Morne Morkel:
Has mainly coached in leagues so far other than working with NZ women team for World T20 but, seems to have a good reputation going around. As a red ball pacer he have had pretty solid basics so I expect him to atleast get the radar of our pacers in test cricket right if he gets the role.

What coaching qualifications do Morne Morkel have?
Also what will be his committment to Pak team? Will he also leave every time for IPL? Its seriously embarrasing..
atleast have full time coaches..rather than people who have their priorities in county, other franchise leagues like IPL…

We were told while Mickey wont behere..his support staff will work..but now our bowling coachalso have priority elsewhere

Yasir Arafat would have been a better choice in this regard…ECB level 4 qualified coach, experience of coaching in county, plus full time committment to Pak team…

Mickey is team director, NOT the full time coach. I imagine his role will be similar to Rob Key’s role for the ECB. And that’s a good thing, because Pakistan cricket has forever needed a director of cricket role, to oversee all three formats, monitor workloads etc.. He doesn’t actually need to be there to coach the side.

That’ll be Bradburn.

Grant Bradburn is someone who did well in coaching Scotland, and had them playing above themselves. He’s also a familiar face to the squad so there will be immediate buy in.

Re: Morkel, he’s previously coached Namibia for a good while, including at the World Cup. So, unlike Arafat (who is also a worthy candidate), Morkel has international team experience. The Namibian head coach, De Bruyn was really complimentary on the effect Morkel had on the team. Further, he’s going to be sharpening his coaching skills with an IPL side, so he’ll be a better coach for it. I’m fine with him missing one series, if he’s a good coach that really improves our bowlers.

In that case, isn’t Morkel a really good shout? I think he could do wonders with someone like an Ihsanullah (inshAllah). I would like to see him technically help all the bowlers in generating out swing, which we struggle to do.

I hope so, although one cannot really say. Sometimes big names aren't as technical as unknown coaches.

Indian fast bowling coaches are not that well known but I feel they are really smart in terms of imparting skills on their bowlers. Most Indian bowlers swing the ball both ways and bowl the wobble seam delivery too. Despite being short, they have worked out what lengths to hit in Australia and usually have good bowling plans as they routinely take 20 wickets. Even a newbie like Siraj did good.

Our bowlers do not have that many skills. They need someone a bit technical to work with them. Not the Shaun Tait type of guy.

We aren’t exactly spoilt for choices are we?

I would say Yasir Arafat would be a better choice than Morne Morkel.. atleast Yasir would be fully committed to Pak team, has coaching qualification and experience

I hope so, although one cannot really say. Sometimes big names aren't as technical as unknown coaches.

Indian fast bowling coaches are not that well known but I feel they are really smart in terms of imparting skills on their bowlers. Most Indian bowlers swing the ball both ways and bowl the wobble seam delivery too. Despite being short, they have worked out what lengths to hit in Australia and usually have good bowling plans as they routinely take 20 wickets. Even a newbie like Siraj did good.

Our bowlers do not have that many skills. They need someone a bit technical to work with them. Not the Shaun Tait type of guy.
He’s more experienced than tait, for one. So it’s not a Philander type situation.

My only slight concern with him is that he was more of a seam bowler than a swing bowler. So will he be able to impart swing skills to our lads? Happy to be wrong on this.

I agree… we need someone who is good at the technical side of coaching.and for that..need someone with proper coaching qualification and experience in coaching.. Yasir Arafat would have been better in that sense

I would say Yasir Arafat would be a better choice than Morne Morkel.. atleast Yasir would be fully committed to Pak team, has coaching qualification and experience
Morkel has coaching experience with multiple teams. He’s missing one series. What’s the big isssue?

You can say that but Morne has been coached by some of the best international set ups in his time as a player. That knowledge he passes on is invaluable. He might not turn us into an invincible bowling attack like Bharat Arun did with India, but he may give us two world class bowlers out of Ihsanullah, Hasnain, Dahani or another potential tall seamer

Wonder how team director and chief selector would interact or if both are needed. The man directing the team should be selecting it.

==

From Wiki

Andrew George Puttick (born 11 December 1980) is a retired South African cricketer.

A left-handed opening batsman, Puttick represented South Africa at the 1996 Lombard Under-15 Challenge Cup in England and the 2000 Under-19 World Cup in Sri Lanka. After making his first class debut in 2000–01, he immediately made an impact with a century in his third game, against Easterns at Newlands. He played for Western Province and Cape Cobras in domestic cricket and had a highest score of 250 not out.

The problem with Pak pacers is to get consistent swing with the red ball (even white ball too) and that Morkel dude couldn’t swing an inch in his entire career , what knowledge he will impart on pacers other than telling Ihsan , Hasnain , Dhahani to bowl short and perhaps improving their radar.

Would be good to get a proper bowling coach like Otis Gibson, david saker , bharut aran ( impossible but someone similar).

Morkel lives in Australia and has actually been a commentator on radio here at times, I think he’ll know what lengths to hit

Morkel lives in Australia and has actually been a commentator on radio here at times, I think he’ll know what lengths to hit

That is nice to hear. I am tired of 500/5 declared followed by 250, and 222 all out.

My only small quibble with him is, can he coach inswing/out swing to the lads? He was very much a ‘into-the-pitch’, using his height as a bowler. I rarely remember him pitching it up (happy to be corrected on this). Tait was a similarish bowler with lesser coaching experience.

Morkel has done it for Namibia and in the IPL and SA20

Mickey Arthur the only one able to break up Rizwan and Babar opening combination.

These guys will have the challenge of their lives making Pakistan, especially the bowling, competitive in Australia. Let's see what Morkel is made of.

Pakistani paces already stutter under pressure and knowing Morne who carries the legacy from that hard-core choqers group ala Kallis Amla AbD so not sold on Morne Morkel

How do people rate Bradburn? What kind of tactics does he usually employ as a strategist? I read that he was Pakistan’s fielding coach until 2018 and that’s a good sign because our fielding definitely improved from 2015-2017 at least (CT) with plenty of good emerging fielders
It was Steve Rixon who was the main architect over our improved fielding.

Good to get some kind of information about the new coaching setup, hopefully it works out.

My only small quibble with him is, can he coach inswing/out swing to the lads? He was very much a ‘into-the-pitch’, using his height as a bowler. I rarely remember him pitching it up (happy to be corrected on this). Tait was a similarish bowler with lesser coaching experience.

Morkel has done it for Namibia and in the IPL and SA20

I recall that Morne for a tall bowler would definitely pitch it up and he had a decent wrist. He was one of the first bowlers to go around the wicket with the new ball to left handers. Tait had a natural outswinger but no real skill other than that, and I don't think he imparted any skill on our bowlers.

I think Morne would be a good addition, I am sure an international bowler with 300 plus test wickets knows a bit about inswing and outswing, even if he was a hit the deck type.

The obsession with Mickey Arthur continues...

Arthur Morne should not ne made coach of an U-14 team let alone international team, PcB should get someone from Lahore Whites or Karachi Blues

South African lineup.

Seems the option of Yasir Arafat wasn't taken up.

Is Morne Morkel even a qualified coach..or just a big name e. player..ventured into coaching after retirement..like Shaun Tait, and Waqar?

Also..who will be the fielding coach?

Why are you worried? Besides his Test record, what’s wrong with him in white ball cricket? You

I dont really care who is made coach as long as he a foreigner and can have authority.

Just dislike the desperation they have shown as if arthur is thebonly foreign coach available.

Besides you should be more worried as arthur is a fan of both babar and rizwan and he wont be changing the t20 team

I dont really care who is made coach as long as he a foreigner and can have authority.

Just dislike the desperation they have shown as if arthur is thebonly foreign coach available.

Besides you should be more worried as arthur is a fan of both babar and rizwan and he wont be changing the t20 team

We will cross that bridge when it happens

I’m not expecting him to drop them, but to change the batting order which is unbalanced

Well I've asked around and it's going to happen:

Mickey Arthur - Consultant Team Director
Morne Morkel - Bowling Coach
Andrew Puttick - Batting Coach

Who will be fielding coach?

What happened to Yasser Arafat?

Do you know why Yasir Arafat was rejected and Morne Morkel selected?

Pathetic and overpaid line up.

I am expecting bad things.

I wonder why PCB never considered Ian Pont for bowling coach option.. it seems like he would have even agreed ..he recently came to Pak also for a training camp and keeps a keen eye on Pak domestic players..

Do you know why Yasir Arafat was rejected and Morne Morkel selected?

I know Mickey got in touch with Yasir to see if he was interested.

I guess he was seeing who was available and keeping his options open.

Last edited:
With an absentee coach, you can tell the value of the coach. As I said before and this decision confirms it, most coaches make no difference and are total waste of time

I know Mickey got in touch with Yasir to see if he was interested.

I guess he was seeing who was available and keeping his options open.

So..was Morne Morkel ..Mickey Arthur’s top choice as bowling coach?

Dont know..why..but Morne Morkel’s selection as bowling coach is giving me similar vibes to that of Shaun Tait..just prefereed for being a foreigner…and big name..with little preference over actual coaching…..would have preferred a not so big name..but solid CV / qualifications for coaching..not just franchise leagues..

Also as others have pointed out…he himself didnt know how to swing the ball..how will he teach it to new bowlers like Ihsanullah for example?

So..was Morne Morkel ..Mickey Arthur’s top choice as bowling coach?

Dont know..why..but Morne Morkel’s selection as bowling coach is giving me similar vibes to that of Shaun Tait..just prefereed for being a foreigner…and big name..with little preference over actual coaching…..would have preferred a not so big name..but solid CV / qualifications for coaching..not just franchise leagues..

Also as others have pointed out…he himself didnt know how to swing the ball..how will he teach it to new bowlers like Ihsanullah for example?

The best bowlers are self taught and learn from experience and playing. This nonsense that coaches have some magic bullet is plain rubbish.

Morkel and Puttick are apparently good hirings. Not sold on Bradburn working well within Pakistan. The role of absent head coach is pretty bad especially when your captain isn't the best tactical brain there. If someone like Dhoni, Fleming or Clarke were captaining Pak, then fine, but with Babar, we need a strategist.

Morkel and Puttick are apparently good hirings. Not sold on Bradburn working well within Pakistan. The role of absent head coach is pretty bad especially when your captain isn't the best tactical brain there. If someone like Dhoni, Fleming or Clarke were captaining Pak, then fine, but with Babar, we need a strategist.

Good point, you'd need a more hands-on approach with a timid captain. Perhaps Arthur is not planning on keeping Babar in that role.

Good decision , gora coaches will bring badly needed professionalism to the team , which was at rock bottom when Saqlain was the coach.

Shan Masood gotta be cutting a cake right now, our new Vice Captain for all 3 formats lol

Great. He's back to claim the credit when we win the WC later this year. Some people have all the luck

I think, and this is where Mickey comes in as head coach and sets the tone, Bradburn needs to be firm with the squad from the off.

Overall strategy is something that Mickey can set from far away. If Bradburn has the authority, he can then impose Mickey’s strategy on the players.

Also regarding Bradburn, he did well with Scotland. He needs to adopt a firmer hand here. Collaborative coaching isn’t that order of the day.

I think, and this is where Mickey comes in as head coach and sets the tone, Bradburn needs to be firm with the squad from the off.

Overall strategy is something that Mickey can set from far away. If Bradburn has the authority, he can then impose Mickey’s strategy on the players.

Also regarding Bradburn, he did well with Scotland. He needs to adopt a firmer hand here. Collaborative coaching isn’t that order of the day.

The thing with Bradburn is his methods aren't suited to Pakistani culture. He had a 2 year stint as a fielding coach starting back in 2018. And there was only decline in fielding quality. His stint at HPC was also unremarkable. As good as he was with Scotland, his methods don't seem to have worked in Pakistan and don't think they will.

Good point, you'd need a more hands-on approach with a timid captain. Perhaps Arthur is not planning on keeping Babar in that role.

Babar is 100% Mickey's golden boy. He was back during his previous tenure as well. It was Mickey himself who promoted Babar to open in t20is. Mickey even had Babar open in the sole t20i in England right before WC19 where he had Imam bat at no.3.

Think Babar will be feeling safe as long as Mickey is concerned. His bigger problem lies with the non-performance related powers in PCB.

The problem lies with the selection committee. Haroon Rasheed is a puppet. He will just select players who he will be told to whether by the coaches or the outsiders. He has no vision like he showed in his previous many stints (2015-16 stint was a damning indictment)

Inzamam even though I didn't like his prefered treatment to some players and consistent cold shoulder to some (Fawad etc) complemented well with a powerful coach in Mickey. Inzi had a vision (as flawed as it was), but it was him who consistently pushed for guys like Junaid Khan, Fakhar, Abid etc while Mickey was more inclined to having guys like Wahab,Hasnain,Shan etc.

Here what we are likely to see is one way traffic for selection.

Babar is 100% Mickey's golden boy. He was back during his previous tenure as well. It was Mickey himself who promoted Babar to open in t20is. Mickey even had Babar open in the sole t20i in England right before WC19 where he had Imam bat at no.3.

Think Babar will be feeling safe as long as Mickey is concerned. His bigger problem lies with the non-performance related powers in PCB.

The problem lies with the selection committee. Haroon Rasheed is a puppet. He will just select players who he will be told to whether by the coaches or the outsiders. He has no vision like he showed in his previous many stints (2015-16 stint was a damning indictment)

Inzamam even though I didn't like his prefered treatment to some players and consistent cold shoulder to some (Fawad etc) complemented well with a powerful coach in Mickey. Inzi had a vision (as flawed as it was), but it was him who consistently pushed for guys like Junaid Khan, Fakhar, Abid etc while Mickey was more inclined to having guys like Wahab,Hasnain,Shan etc.

A few repudiations of what you’ve stated above:

As Cricinfo’s Pakistan analyst, Mickey stated that he’d like to see Babar bat at 3. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that experiment Vs this NZ team.

Regarding Wahab and Hasnain, Mickey’s on record as saying that Wahab’s never won them a match in x number of matches, when asked why Wahab was dropped. Hasnain also debuted very late in Mickey’s reign before being dropped for the 2019 WC.

However, I do share your concerns with Mickey re: Shan.

I do think that the team combinations will be more thought out once Mickey is around, and he’ll be a great positive in especially developing the likes of Haris, Saim, Abdullah.

His place in the side is secure for sure, but specifically regarding captaincy, I don't know why Mickey would have any special backing of Babar.

He worked with and had (white-ball) success with Sarfaraz, the almost polar opposite personality. Why would he want a timid leader when Arthur won't even be around to guide him? In fact, maybe he would want his golden boy to be less burdened with pressures of captaincy so he can just focus on his batting, who knows.

With an absentee coach, you can tell the value of the coach. As I said before and this decision confirms it, most coaches make no difference and are total waste of time

Agreed. I've always said and thought this. In cricket, coaches don't have a huge impact and are mostly a waste. Especially in PCT, they're just for show and are passenger along with the team.

His place in the side is secure for sure, but specifically regarding captaincy, I don't know why Mickey would have any special backing of Babar.

He worked with and had (white-ball) success with Sarfaraz, the almost polar opposite personality. Why would he want a timid leader when Arthur won't even be around to guide him? In fact, maybe he would want his golden boy to be less burdened with pressures of captaincy so he can just focus on his batting, who knows.

There aren't many people with leadership experience in Pak. The worst thing would be to have Shan Masood taking over in all formats going by how much Mickey loves him.

Apart from those, Rizwan is the only all format option. As good Shaheen is, he isn't going to be playing every match and his workload is likely to be carefully managed.
Sarfraz has done nothing of note to get back in the LOI side lest alone as captain.

Shadab is the only guy who Mickey might be tempted to try but he would be a downgrade over Babar and he doesn't even play Tests.

Imad has never been in Mickey's good books.

Unless there's a Shan Masood coup happening, I don't see Babar losing captaincy.

A few repudiations of what you’ve stated above:

As Cricinfo’s Pakistan analyst, Mickey stated that he’d like to see Babar bat at 3. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that experiment Vs this NZ team.

Regarding Wahab and Hasnain, Mickey’s on record as saying that Wahab’s never won them a match in x number of matches, when asked why Wahab was dropped. Hasnain also debuted very late in Mickey’s reign before being dropped for the 2019 WC.

However, I do share your concerns with Mickey re: Shan.

I do think that the team combinations will be more thought out once Mickey is around, and he’ll be a great positive in especially developing the likes of Haris, Saim, Abdullah.

POV's change especially when it comes from the experts. Mickey used to say Pak would be the last team he would think about coaching back in 2010-11. He was the one who pushed him to open after having him bat at 3 in t20is for almost 2 years.

Mickey might say what he wants to now, but anyone who saw CT17 and some time before and after it would know how much Mickey dislike Junaid. Junaid did well enough in his comeback in Australia and WI and got benched for CT opener against India for Wahab. Then he comes in and Pak bowling fortunes get changed for the entire tournament. Didn't even need Amir in the semi against England then. Then after one series, Junaid gets benched out again in the Asia Cup 2018 in place of Shinwari. Plays one match there and get a 4fer and then gets dropped again. This sort of behavior by Mickey became very irritating.

Don't know why PCB is so obsessed with Mickey. If he is not available full time then let other coaching staff in proper command.
Also would have liked Gul get an extended run as bowling coach with the team but Morne is fine as well.

Great job

Not only we will see professionalism there will also be no favourism

Misbah completely destroyed our setup

South African no nonsense coaches suit Pakistani players because they only understand straight talk and danda. :91:

Why hasnt PCB officially announced coaching staff in a press release or pressconference yet?

Mickey Arthur has also confirmed hes coming..so why the delay now from PCB in officially announcing it…

What could be the reason for this delay? [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] any idea?
Or could it be..someone from support staff isnt confirmed yet…?

Why hasnt PCB officially announced coaching staff in a press release or pressconference yet?

Mickey Arthur has also confirmed hes coming..so why the delay now from PCB in officially announcing it…

What could be the reason for this delay? [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] any idea?
Or could it be..someone from support staff isnt confirmed yet…?

Yes it's surprising isn't it, especially when they are unofficially confirming it.

I guess they are tying up the loose ends of the contracts with the coaching team.

Agreed. I've always said and thought this. In cricket, coaches don't have a huge impact and are mostly a waste. Especially in PCT, they're just for show and are passenger along with the team.

It's a scam. You need leaders and that can be the captain, but what we do need is good decision makers and that's the hard part.

I think Morkel is at the IPL.

Isn't he the bowling coach at Lucknow?

Back