Mohsin Naqvi hints at using computer data to solve Pakistan’s cricket woes, will that work?

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Mohsin Naqvi speaking suring a press conference:

“Out of the 100-150 people selected in Domestic Cup, 80 percent of the selection is based on computer data, and 20 percent is based on human input. And no one can challenge this, no matter where they go. When we will finalize it; we will share it with you. If there is any discrepancy, you can tell me, but I can assure you that 80 percent of the scoring was done by the computer. Every record is maintained. Definitely, if someone gets injured and can't play, we had allocated 20 percent of the marks for the selection committee to adjust such cases. So, people are not just cut off without reason."

"There will definitely be a backup, and we will bring in a good replacement. If you bring in someone worse tomorrow, then people will say that you brought in another bad player. So, we will bring in someone better. You will have the records, and we will jointly say that this player is good and deserves a place. You will see this after the Champions Cup.”

Not all runs are scored equal. A run scored in Australia does not tell the same about the players skills as the run scored in UAE. Same goes for bowling. Player selection is more art than science. Yes it can be good tell to filter few things but ultimately it should be up to the selector to go with their true gut feelings, judgement, not based on biases. What is needed is accountability of the selectors to ensure there is no funny business going on with selections.

Computer data is something that was used in the past, I belive, by Mohammad Wasim. The results were not fruitful that time. Real onfield Games do not work based Computer datas. This is not Cricket 2007.

Computer data is something that was used in the past, I belive, by Mohammad Wasim. The results were not fruitful that time. Real onfield Games do not work based Computer datas. This is not Cricket 2007.

Computer data will work fine if it can also accomodate overlooked intangibles in a smarter way. I doubt PCB has put in any effort or money in designing such system though, they might simply be treating all stats as equal.

Brb guys working on a SaaS product here in Bangalore to sell it to PCB and PSL franchises.

Hahahaha.

Translation: We use Chatgpt to tell us who to select 🤣🤣.
m4amvWV.png

What data do you need to realise Babar and Rizwan strike at 110 in powerplays on the global stage?

What data do you need to realise Babar and Rizwan strike at 110 in powerplays on the global stage?
A conversation with Rana!

Seriously speaking, there has to be a will to change. If that will is missing you get this.

You can call on all the current playing greats of the world, give them Pakistani citizenship and get them to play for Pakistan. I can assure you they will fail as the head of the board remains a clown.

naaa.

Data analytics is something that Islamabad United does and select players and combinations based on that.

What M.Waseem was doing was he was pretending to be tech savy by bringing in a laptop to a press conference, made some slides on powerpoint and added a very graphs....

“Out of the 100-150 people selected in Domestic Cup, 80 percent of the selection is based on computer data, and 20 percent is based on human input. And no one can challenge this, no matter where they go. When we will finalize it; we will share it with you. If there is any discrepancy, you can tell me, but I can assure you that 80 percent of the scoring was done by the computer. Every record is maintained. Definitely, if someone gets injured and can't play, we had allocated 20 percent of the marks for the selection committee to adjust such cases. So, people are not just cut off without reason."

"There will definitely be a backup, and we will bring in a good replacement. If you bring in someone worse tomorrow, then people will say that you brought in another bad player. So, we will bring in someone better. You will have the records, and we will jointly say that this player is good and deserves a place. You will see this after the Champions Cup.”
Oh my my. He shouldn't really be saying this stuff even if it's being done. It's embarrassing.

Is the selection based Computer data or Kumputar data?

Seriously though. All selection is 100% with the help of human input because someone has set criteria of selection for the computer.

It's like a teacher saying. Computer will calculate your marks and percentage. This cannot be challenged. But the passing percentage is 40%

Data is just a tool. It just makes your cognitive process faster. You still set your criteria.

If my criteria for a best players is someone who averages 50+ with 90+ SR + someone who's most runs have come in a winning cause. Then computer data will help me filter that or show me anomalies in that. But I'm still the one who's setting the criteria or even programming the capabilities of computer. I can do this stuff manually, but it will take a lot of time and cognitive power.

Hahahaha.

Translation: We use Chatgpt to tell us who to select 🤣🤣.

NGL. I tried this just now. Prepare to blow a fuse:

Creating a strong Pakistan Test XI requires a balance of experience and youth, considering recent form and conditions. Here's a possible Pakistan Test XI for an upcoming match:

Pakistan Test XI:

1. Abdullah Shafique (Opener)
    • A talented young opener who has shown good technique and temperament in challenging conditions.
  2. Imam-ul-Haq (Opener)
    • Experienced and dependable, capable of providing solid starts, especially in home conditions.
  3. Azhar Ali (Top-order Batsman)
    • The veteran batsman brings stability and experience to the top order.
  4. Babar Azam (Captain & Middle-order Batsman)
    • The backbone of Pakistan’s batting lineup and a world-class player who leads by example.
  5. Saud Shakeel (Middle-order Batsman)
    • A promising talent with a solid technique, capable of playing long innings.
  6. Mohammad Rizwan (Wicketkeeper & Middle-order Batsman)
    • A dynamic wicketkeeper-batsman who adds depth and energy to the batting lineup.
  7. Agha Salman (All-rounder)
    • Offers a spin-bowling option and can contribute crucial runs in the lower middle order.
  8. Nauman Ali (Left-arm Spinner)
    • Experienced and effective in subcontinental conditions, providing control and breakthroughs.
  9. Shaheen Afridi (Left-arm Fast Bowler)
    • Pakistan’s spearhead, capable of swinging the ball both ways and taking early wickets.
  10. Naseem Shah (Right-arm Fast Bowler)
    • Young and fast, he provides aggression and can reverse swing the ball.
  11. Abrar Ahmed (Leg-spinner)
    • A mystery spinner who has impressed in recent matches with his wicket-taking ability.

12th Man:

• Fawad Alam(Middle-order Batsman)
    • Reliable in tough situations, but may not make the XI due to recent form concerns.
This lineup offers a mix of solid batting, pace, and spin, suitable for a variety of conditions.

We need batters who can strike at a good rate, have good hand eye coordination and reflexes and can play 140K+ pace easily and are not bothered too much by extra bounce or swing/seam/spin movement , I don't know if they can set the computer to filter out such players and I don't think such players actually exists at any level in domestic cricket setup.

We are providing the required coaching/conditions in order to produce such players.

NGL. I tried this just now. Prepare to blow a fuse:

Creating a strong Pakistan Test XI requires a balance of experience and youth, considering recent form and conditions. Here's a possible Pakistan Test XI for an upcoming match:

Pakistan Test XI:

1. Abdullah Shafique(Opener)
    • A talented young opener who has shown good technique and temperament in challenging conditions.
  2. Imam-ul-Haq(Opener)
    • Experienced and dependable, capable of providing solid starts, especially in home conditions.
  3. Azhar Ali(Top-order Batsman)
    • The veteran batsman brings stability and experience to the top order.
  4. Babar Azam(Captain & Middle-order Batsman)
    • The backbone of Pakistan’s batting lineup and a world-class player who leads by example.
  5. Saud Shakeel(Middle-order Batsman)
    • A promising talent with a solid technique, capable of playing long innings.
  6. Mohammad Rizwan(Wicketkeeper & Middle-order Batsman)
    • A dynamic wicketkeeper-batsman who adds depth and energy to the batting lineup.
  7. Agha Salman(All-rounder)
    • Offers a spin-bowling option and can contribute crucial runs in the lower middle order.
  8. Nauman Ali(Left-arm Spinner)
    • Experienced and effective in subcontinental conditions, providing control and breakthroughs.
  9. Shaheen Afridi(Left-arm Fast Bowler)
    • Pakistan’s spearhead, capable of swinging the ball both ways and taking early wickets.
  10. Naseem Shah(Right-arm Fast Bowler)
    • Young and fast, he provides aggression and can reverse swing the ball.
  11. Abrar Ahmed(Leg-spinner)
    • A mystery spinner who has impressed in recent matches with his wicket-taking ability.

12th Man:

• Fawad Alam(Middle-order Batsman)
    • Reliable in tough situations, but may not make the XI due to recent form concerns.
This lineup offers a mix of solid batting, pace, and spin, suitable for a variety of conditions.
Yeah we shpuld tell chatgpt to bring azhar Ali and fawad back from retirement homes 🤣🤣

Computer data alone can't solve things.

Cricket is both a subjective and an objective sport.

What's the point of having a selection committee and selectors if a computer and ChatGbt is going to do the selections?

Selection is also assessing the long term potential of the player. Eye test on quality

These idiots make it sound like they are sending a mission to Mars. To be successful you need to people to play, we have a young population and we have millions that play, then you need to identify lots of talented people and give them lots of opportunities to play on good wickets( this is the 1st hurdle will fail to jump as we lack grounds and good wickets) and then you filter out more and get to talent that will play FC and again this needs lots of matches on good wickets( again the wickets are poor and not enough cricket is played competitively) and then we need competitive FC games played on good wickets. At no point does the PCB making any tangible difference and nor does it care. Our decline is an institutional failure and mirrors the **** show in the political arena

Excellent idea!! Love it. The data will reveal it all.

We have been using this in baseball for over a half a century (look up Branch Rickey ) , so much so it's its own sub branch of statistics called 'sabermetrics'.

Most (vast majority) of baseball managers use it to determine playing strategies, it can work well if used in conjunction with a keen eye.
However one must have the fortitude to trust the data and make tough decisions, emotion cannot be a part of it.

Back