My first Laver & Wood Signature

d7bow

Debutant
Runs
My story of the signature dates back to February 2011. I sent off an email to Laver & Wood asking for some pics of clefts for the signature and the reserve. After counting a modest collection of 4 bats I decided if I was going to buy a signature then I would have to sell a few. Managed to sell 3 bats so the order of the signature took place.
My option of clefts were from this picture:

34eae1f7.jpg

Of which I choose the middle cleft

beb54a46.jpg

My bat spec request were as follows:
Finished weight of 2-9
Spine running from handle to toe
Good pick up and balance
Large hitting zone
Oval carbocane handle
Lamitoe
And some nice sized edges
White grip and toe protector
Knocked in, match ready.

Andy replied that was fine, edges should be around 35mm and would I be against concaving. James is the expert so I said no probs to anything.

2 picture I recieved when nearly finished were these

796072aa.jpg

87d820d0.jpg

Just out of the box, looked stunning and very big.

9d740dce.jpg

0da52c14.jpg

Some pics taken in the kitchen, poor lighting and from an iPhone

0318f02d.jpg

857a956b.jpg

27458e32.jpg

27977089.jpg

Weight is heavier than asked for, weighing in at 2-10.4 on my scales. Edges are rounded off coming in at the 40-42mm mark. Spine around 70mm.

Last edited:
Awsome bat...and very nice pictures..
mind telling how much you ended up paying for the bat?

Beautiful bat ... Congrats on such an awesome willow. I can imagine the great experience of choosing from the right beginning till the final product ... I can see lot of runs written all over it mate :)

Please keep posted on its progress in nets & matches

Thank you very much Mr. d7bow for posting this review, I am thankful to you.

This bat looks very nice, I am not trying to disrespect your bats but the profile on this looks better as sweetspot looks more spread through the blade, am I correct?

Beautiful bat ... Congrats on such an awesome willow. I can imagine the great experience of choosing from the right beginning till the final product ... I can see lot of runs written all over it mate :)

Please keep posted on its progress in nets & matches

Thanks KashifJ,

It was used in about 5-6 games last season, it went really well. Think I scored more 4's than anything else. It seems to fly off the bat, even little taps seem to roll easily to the boundary. Will not be used in the nets tho. I have a similar rejected ( cough cough pro ) bat that may be used.

Thank you very much Mr. d7bow for posting this review, I am thankful to you.

This bat looks very nice, I am not trying to disrespect your bats but the profile on this looks better as sweetspot looks more spread through the blade, am I correct?

No worries Silencer, I've got nice broad shoulders ;-)

I have not used the other one yet so I cannot comment on that. This has the spine the entire length of bat, with minimal to no concaving so yes it has a massive sweet spot/coverage so it responds from an inch from the bottom to below the splice area. This has a lamitoe to help battle against the dreaded Yorkers. I will tap up the other bat later today and see how she goes.

Lovely lovely piece of willow mate, amazing stick!

What makes this bat special apart from spine from shoulder to toe is the fact this has no concaving which also makes it a special bat.

It looks huge for 2.10 to be honest. Heck this itself is Ultra ;-)

How do you compare Laver's performances with other brands in particular TK? Do you think Laver outperforms TK bats? I would like to hear this from different people because from my experience it has outperformed...

Looks a beauty.

That bat grip is a heavier one, so maybe that accounts for a bit of the extra weight.

Cheers CD.

Don't think I've had a Tk bat. The only minor issue that worries me with TK bats is how many he is supposed to be making, and how much care is spent on every bat. I'm sure he is doing something right as he must press a hell of a lot bats. I expect I will own one, one day. Not in a rush for one tho.

How do lavers compare. Well Ive had a couple of other brands bats pass through my hands, I'm happy with what laver do.

LOL I would say it is wired to hear that you have not had any TK bat yet :))

Mind telling which other brands bats are you talking about?

TK just doesn't overly appeal to me. But I don't doubt his ability.

Woodworm Premier x2
Kippax legend LE
Blueroom new wave
Kookaburra ccx 900
M&H Distincion( now called the master )
Indian Made reject bat made by an ex SS bat maker.
A few other cheap ones to try and find a bargain.

Almost as many as you!!! ;-)

TK just doesn't overly appeal to me. But I don't doubt his ability.

Woodworm Premier x2
Kippax legend LE
Blueroom new wave
Kookaburra ccx 900
M&H Distincion( now called the master )
Indian Made reject bat made by an ex SS bat maker.
A few other cheap ones to try and find a bargain.

Almost as many as you!!! ;-)

Haha LOL:))

you have old shape Distinction correct? I doubt that is anywhere like Master unless you have a three pounder like Ian :))

As far I know M&H bats are pressed by TK so I doubt there would be much of a difference between M&H or any TK bat as I believe pressing is most important factor.

How are Kippax bats mate? Never saw or tried one :S

Yeah the m&h was 3-1 and the big shape. Looked just like the new master. I would be very very surprised if m&h didn't have a press. I'm sure they haven't got 3 blokes working for them just shaping bats.

Kippax grow there own willow, press and make there own bats. Mine made its way to procricket, who uses it for his net bat.

I was told by James Vincent that M&H don't have there own press

I don't like Master at all, too heavy for me. Tom said good thing that Master is to get rid of heavy clefts etc

Ah okay Kippax don't look bad from pictures.

I wonder where procricket is these days, maybe he is using guns rather than bats thesedays (I mean on Army duties)

I'm just surprised that Julian millichamp trained James Laver there, James trained Rob Chambers there, that they no longer have a press. Maybe the case that they press there own bats using TK press.

Yep, Dave is on a 9 month tour of duty.

I'm just surprised that Julian millichamp trained James Laver there, James trained Rob Chambers there, that they no longer have a press. Maybe the case that they press there own bats using TK press.

Same here, maybe they have a press but don't know how to press perhaps?

But I guess moral is never believe James Vincent lol :))

Ah okay watch him come back with a bang! :))

Signature could be possible but I doubt Cenkos.

He rates Lavers like piece of heaven :))

Last edited:
Back