New Zealand finish Day 1 of 2nd Test on 309/6 following a final session fightback from Pakistan

Pakistan need to run through NZ tail quickly here. Other issue is can we bat well for once in 1st inns of a match.

Mir Hamza is grunting his heart out and producing…..errr…..125ks

What is this nonsense

If pakistan wanted to go with trundler of hamza's pace then why not go with abbas? He would have been pretty handy here.

Good pace and carry on this wicket. Thank you Afridi and Shakil Sheikh.

Excellent comeback by Pakistan but they need to take these last 4 wickets quickly. Good stuff to make a strong comeback.

This Hamza dude looks harmless with pace between 120-25 KPH.. shouldn't be given new ball and waste it

Such an average bowler he is

I rather invest in someone like Inshanullah Khan

This bowler Hamza was so much hype . Everyone was saying why he is not getting selected. I was expecting good performance from him but he turned out to be a harmless trundler. Pakistan known for producing fiery pacers but Hamza looked more like a Bangladesh type of bowler. No pace no exceptional skills. I'm fraid he is not going to play much for Pakistan. This proved majority of Pakistani fans were wrong and selectors were right for not picking this military medium bowler earlier.

the hamza dude, another Sir bhuvi hadlee clone...
luckily by some brain wave we have deselected him and got shivam mavi in to the team to face SL
Sir Bhuvi Steyn has played the last 5 years when even the zim B team would not have selected him.

the hamza dude, another Sir bhuvi hadlee clone...
luckily by some brain wave we have deselected him and got shivam mavi in to the team to face SL
Sir Bhuvi Steyn has played the last 5 years when even the zim B team would not have selected him.

Bhuvi was too good with the new ball during his prime. Hamzah on the other hand looks real contender to lead trundler's 11.

Babar's captaincy is beyond comprehension of regular fans. You take a new ball and avoid giving it your best bowler of the day in last 5 overs of the day with tailender on strike..there is something that this management and Babar knows about game that we fans dnt have clue of like declaration on Friday

If NZ somehow cross 400, will be difficult for Pakistan to win the test unless there is a massive collapse from them in 2nd innings.

Babar's captaincy is beyond comprehension of regular fans. You take a new ball and avoid giving it your best bowler of the day in last 5 overs of the day with tailender on strike..there is something that this management and Babar knows about game that we fans dnt have clue of like declaration on Friday

Best bowler was having cramps

NZ need to be restricted to less than 400 tomorrow, can't let their tail wag.

Naseem was struggling with the cramps and Babar wisely decided not take any further risk. He will start afresh in the morning.

As a neutral, i'd call good fight back considering 230/1 and staring down the barrell.
well you have the new ball, i'd attack with HA and NS, keep attacking fields, and possibly get abrar in early in the piece. you gotta gamble, keep close in fields and be prepared to loose some to gain lots...cmomn show some flair...

What a comeback by Pakistan, NZ were 234/1 and looking set for 600+ now Pakistan has a chance to assert their dominance in the Test.

He gave the new ball to salman BEFORE Naseem's cramp. Baffling really.

Babar just follows the script which is given to him by the head coach. At tea the coach might have instructed him to take the new ball in the following over. He himself doesn't have the brain cells to assess the situation and make decisions on his own.

Last edited:
What a comeback by Pakistan, NZ were 234/1 and looking set for 600+ now Pakistan has a chance to assert their dominance in the Test.

They will have to score 500 plus for that if the pitch keeps giving bowlers son help Pakistani batsmen are bound to collapse somewhere batting last is not ideal on this wicket.

f Pakistan win this Test match, they will end the year as a 100% record in home Tests in 2023 - there are no more Tests on home soil this year.

:rabada2

Highlights of the 3rd session

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/t5egv0" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Looking at the pitch , newzealand have the advantage.Abdullah ,babar , shan all are poor agaibst spin bowling. I think neezealnd will get a good lead tomorrow.

Just caught one session. Nobody looked remotely threatening. What happened? 309/6 is a very good day for Pakistan given their recent performances.

At Karachi National Stadium: Black Caps 309-6 in 90 overs (Devon Conway 122, Tom Latham 71; Agha Salman 3-55, Naseem Shah 2-44) met Pakistan

Devon Conway made his fourth test century for the Black Caps, but they let a dominant position slip late on the first day of the second test against Pakistan in Karachi, finishing up at 309-6 at stumps.

Seamer Naseem Shah bowled two excellent spells on his return to the hosts’ lineup following a shoulder injury, removing Tom Latham after lunch for 71 and Kane Williamson after tea for 36 on his way to taking 2-44.

Conway fell between them for 122, becoming the first of part-time spinner Agha Salman’s three victims as he capitalised on the pressure built by Naseem and finished the day with 3-55.

The Black Caps collapsed from 226-1 at tea to 279-6 by the time the new ball was due after 80 overs, with Salman also bowling Daryl Mitchell for three and getting Henry Nicholls caught behind for 22 in his 50th test.

Conway and Latham attacked leg-spinner Abrar Ahmed early and didn’t let him settle into a rhythm, but while he conceded 100 runs in the day, he also struck to remove Michael Bracewell LBW for a duck and open up the New Zealand tail.

Ish Sodhi impressed with the bat in the drawn first test and was still there at stumps on 11, alongside Tom Blundell on 30.

Conway brought up his fourth test century just before tea, having shared in century stands with Latham and Williamson after Black Caps captain Tim Southee won the toss and chose to bat.

Naseem’s first post-interval spell of the day brought an end to Latham’s innings, when he was trapped on the pads with the bowler coming around the wicket from wide on the crease.

Williamson then joined Conway at the crease and they stayed together for almost 30 overs before the senior man fell.

At tea, the Black Caps had been on track to bat themselves into a position of true dominance come stumps, but Pakistan came roaring back strong, leaving the contest intriguingly poised.

The big moment

One brings two, as everyone who has ever fielded has said at one point or another. Wickets that is – and in this match it was Conway, followed by Williamson just nine balls later. The third session had looked like being a long one for Pakistan, but all of a sudden it was New Zealand having to reassess.

Best with the bat

Conway scored his fourth hundred in his 12th test and while he will have wanted to make it a big one, it has nevertheless set the Black Caps up nicely as they chase a third test win in Pakistan as well as a series win. It was the second time he had made 122 in tests – one year and one day after the first time, against Bangladesh in Mount Maunganui last summer.

Best with the ball

Whatever Naseem did at the lunch and tea breaks, he would be advised to do it again before play resumes on Tuesday. After lunch, he had a spell of four overs, where he bowled three maidens and took the wicket of Latham. After tea, he bowled five overs, including one maiden, and took the wicket of Williamson. The pressure he built set up everything that followed.

The big picture

The Black Caps’ slump has advanced this match plenty and a result is now there to be grabbed by both teams. The partnership between Blundell and Sodhi will go along way to determining the size of New Zealand’s first-innings total, with Naseem likely to come charging in at them with a newish ball early on the second morning.

Stuff.nz

I think NZ will be marginally the happier side today.

They'll be targeting 400 and that will put pressure on Pakistan.

The NZ bowlers will fancy their chances on this track.

Pakistan showing some ticker.

A good late comeback from Babar’s men there, after a big NZ partnership which (arguably) made the pitch look flatter than it is.

But NZ have scored relatively quickly despite the loss of wickets which leaves them in a relatively good position still.

Perhaps he really was on to something when Brendon McCullum said that he prioritises strike rates above averages.

There is a bit of batting in the shed for NZ still and they have a chance of getting up to 400 here.

Pakistan meanwhile will be looking for quick wickets in the morning and to get up to NZ’s score (or slightly ahead) in order to create some pressure.

Salman Ali Agha speaks about the day's play:

"I have been played in the XI as a batting all-rounder, and I had it in my mind that I should contribute with my bowling where possible and that is what happened"

"I have been working with Saqi to bowl long spells and to bowl accurately and it seems that the hard-work I did with him as paid off today"

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/egfjs9" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

Last edited:
400 could be a good total here for NZ, fact is even in tests where are bowlers have done a good job to restricts opposition totals are batting has then tended to flop. Unless we are batting on a Highway in rawalpindi out batting shows no ruthless / Authority to score bigs runs under pressure. Our bowlers need to their job 1st in more, bet we cant afford the usual substandard 270 1st inns efforts the team was putting up last year.

Conway in presser:

"We expected a little bit of bounce and assistance for the seam bowlers today. It was nice batting out there with Tom Latham and Kane Williamson as he forged good partnerships. The surface suddenly got drier, which offered a little bit of spin for the turners. I give credit to the Pakistan bowlers for getting five wickets after tea."

"I think that spell was special from Naseem Shah after tea. He bowled with good energy and in a good area. He asked good questions and obviously moved the ball both ways, which made it quite challenging for myself and Kane. He reaped the rewards towards the end when he got Kane out. It was a challenging spell,"

"As a bowling unit, we like to keep things simple. Bowling in partnerships has been the key for us in the last short while. On a surface like this when it's not going to offer much for seamers, we just have to be patient and hang in there and put batters under pressure and make it hard for them to score, allowing the spinner to be more wicket-taking options."

Last edited:
Naseem Shah:

"Pakistan made a great comeback in the evening, as everyone bowled well. We will try to bowl New Zealand out within 350 tomorrow. Our batting is good and the pitch is also good. We can play well here and win the match"

Full highlights

<div style="width: 100%; height: 0px; position: relative; padding-bottom: 56.250%;"><iframe src="https://streamable.com/e/6qa1rx" frameborder="0" width="100%" height="100%" allowfullscreen style="width: 100%; height: 100%; position: absolute;"></iframe></div>

NZ are well placed to score 400+. Matt Henry can easily score a 50 as well. It's an easy pitch.

Need to get them out for under 400. Anything else and we're again behind the eight ball fighting for survival. This is one of the most unexciting Pak teams off all time.

Back