New Zealand vs England | 1st ODI | Wellington | 02/09/2008

12thMan

Senior Test Player
Runs
England won the toss and elected to bat first

New Zealand: JD Ryder, BB McCullum, JM How, LRPL Taylor, SB Styris, PG Fulton, JDP Oram, DL Vettori, KD Mills, JS Patel, CS Martin

England : AN Cook, P Mustard, IR Bell, KP Pietersen, PD Collingwood, OA Shah, RS Bopara, GP Swann, SCJ Broad, RJ Sidebottom, JM Anderson

Umpires: Asad Rauf (Pakistan) and GA Baxter

"No wonder its empty, its $40 to get in," emails Quintin. If he thinks that's expensive, stay away from England where tickets at The Oval are as much as £103 - that's about NZ$250.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/nzveng/engine/current/match/300437.html

"Not a bad crowd," chirps one of the local TV commentators. Not bad? What, for a club game? There is hope that it will fill up later, so it should get better - Cricinfo

Eng 42-1 after 13 overs @ 3.23

Bell bowled by Martin. inside edge to stumps
Eng 42-2 after 13.1 overs

Just before this ball Bell changed his shoes :|

Eng 53-2 after 17 overs @ 3.11
looks like Eng will do really well if they get to 230-240

Pietersen out bowled by Oram. inside edge
Eng 55-3 after 18.1 overs

Mustard bowled by Styris
Eng 67-4 after 21.3 overs
Owais Shah in

Last edited:
Collingwood runout
Eng 80-5 after 26 overs @ 3.07 an over
Bopara in

they have to treat it like a ludo match where you hope to get a six so you can yell chakka.
Eng will now do well to get to 200
Eng 89-5 after 30 overs @ 2.96

ouch ! A bit of a hammering for England who must have been regarded as favourites in this series.

Collingwood reckons it was down to him misreading the slowness of the pitch.

The running between the wickets today resembled Yousuf and Inzi at their best.

The false sense of hope in meaningless 20/20 matches gave England that expectation that they could roll over New Zealand without a fuss....

The game has a way of biting you back just when you think you are above it....it was that man again....Mr '3-0' Collingwood with his Mystic Meg predictions...

We lost the first match in Sri Lanka too, so I won't go condemning the side yet. Still, there's no gleaning over how bad we were today. To lose three wickets to run outs - making run out the leading wicket-taker in effect - was unacceptable and ultimately suicidal. Too many batsman got too far ahead of themselves and consequently got out. 200 would have been a competitive score on that pitch.

Augustus said:
We lost the first match in Sri Lanka too, so I won't go condemning the side yet. Still, there's no gleaning over how bad we were today. To lose three wickets to run outs - making run out the leading wicket-taker in effect - was unacceptable and ultimately suicidal. Too many batsman got too far ahead of themselves and consequently got out. 200 would have been a competitive score on that pitch.

Well England do have 4 more matches left to redeem themselves from today's debacle.....I saw some brief clips of the game on Sky and Stuart Broad looks an excellent prospect for England and I am sure if they had scored 200-250+ that would made the game a little bit more competitive.

Back