England vs New Zealand 5th ODI | Bairstow blitz helps England win series 3-2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sakss

Test Debutant
Runs
England Squad
EJG Morgan*, JM Bairstow, SW Billings†, JC Buttler†, ST Finn, AD Hales, C Overton, J Overton, AU Rashid, JE Root, JJ Roy, BA Stokes, JWA Taylor, DJ Willey, MA Wood

New Zealand Squad
BB McCullum*, GD Elliott, MJ Guptill, MJ Henry, TWM Latham, MJ McClenaghan, NL McCullum, AW Mathieson, L Ronchi†, MJ Santner, TG Southee, LRPL Taylor, BM Wheeler, KS Williamson

The decider of an enthralling series! Whatever happens I am proud of England for shrugging off the WC nightmare and standing to-to-toe with the much more fancied Kiwis.

All of a sudden English side looking very dangerous odi side. Buttler, Hales, Root and Stoaks are all destructive batsman. Hopefully It will be cracker!

Have they dished out incredibly flat wickets just to prop up the English team?

No, it's the new drainage systems. It's not as though Marshall, Garner and Holding play for the Kiwis and have to be nuillified. Both sides have the same sort of attack so will be equally penalised.

This has been some series. A thrilling script so far.

Waiting for a similar end.

England Team
JJ Roy, AD Hales, JE Root, EJG Morgan*, BA Stokes, JM Bairstow†, SW Billings, AU Rashid, DJ Willey, MA Wood, ST Finn

New Zealand Team
MJ Guptill, BB McCullum*, KS Williamson, LRPL Taylor, GD Elliott, MJ Santner, L Ronchi†, BM Wheeler, MJ Henry, TG Southee, AW Mathieson

Stokes has been a great find for Poms ... really has added great balance to the side.

England deserves this. Their team looks in a much better shape now. Good for world cricket.

Taylor has made 33 without hitting a boundary at a decent SR, good strike rotation.

NZ 208/4 after 40.2 overs

elliotts just been dropped, how costly will that morgan drop be?

Eliott gone stumped, morgan drop didnt cost much

2nd wicket for rashid, hes bowled really well today.

230/7 - England way on top. 5 overs to go - if they get up towards 270, it's a game - but one still has to favour England in the modern game chasing such a score.

Conditions have favoured the bowlers. There was rain in the morning and the overcast conditions have persisted so there's been help for the seamers. Durham is usually a seamer-friendly place too.

The pitch is also a little slow so batsmen can't time their shots as well. If NZ get some early wickets and create some pressure it should be a close run chase. They need to hit big in these final overs now.

Good late hitting from NZ - finish on 283-9 after 50 overs.

283/9 from 50.

Still a good score, but low by the standards of the last few weeks.

Good old style game? Maybe.

Big final over for NZ.

They're still about 70 runs short of a good total, going off how this series has been played so far.

Good to see that PPers will not cry today about flat pitches, two new balls, short boundaries, thick bats etc etc.

Hilarious interview between Aggers and Flintoff on TMS.

Match has been delayed by rain.

If overs are reduced due to rain, that last over onslaught by Wheeler could very well be the difference.

To be fair I don't view this as a horrendous target and I think England might chase it.

However (for the sake of argument?) New Zealand scored at less than 6 an over, meanwhile England are expected to get more than 7 an over.

Isn't it better/fairer to just say 'match the run rate' and get however many runs in 26 overs?

To be fair I don't view this as a horrendous target and I think England might chase it.

However (for the sake of argument?) New Zealand scored at less than 6 an over, meanwhile England are expected to get more than 7 an over.

Isn't it better/fairer to just say 'match the run rate' and get however many runs in 26 overs?

What??!

That's ridiculous, England have 10 wickets for their 26 overs. NZL used 10 for 50. Asking England to score 150 or so would be ridiculous.

There are so many whiners about rain in the subcontinent series being played, and yet not a peep about all the rain effects in the Test/ODI series here.

Subcontinenters self-hate way too much.

You can't be serious mate.

192 off 26 overs... should be a good run chase this.

This is great.

Chasing 192 in 26 overs is definitely harder than chasing 284 in 50, because you have scorer at a quicker rate from the word go and lose plenty of wickets along the way.

England would have scored more than 92 in the first 24 overs while chasing 284, so this is definitely hard on England.

Same thing happened in the second ODI, where they were hard-done by.

England have been potentially robbed of a 4-1 series victory here, really hope they pull this chase off.

DRS is a farce, and New Zealand should count themselves really lucky.

Last edited:
There are so many whiners about rain in the subcontinent series being played, and yet not a peep about all the rain effects in the Test/ODI series here.

Subcontinenters self-hate way too much.

I think its because its monsoon season in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, whereas its supposed to be the summer here in the UK.

British weather strikes again :))

I think its because its monsoon season in Sri Lanka and Bangladesh, whereas its supposed to be the summer here in the UK.

British weather strikes again :))

There's just nowhere to play full proof cricket in the summer. It's winter in Aus/NZ. It rains in England randomly and always. And it's monsoon season in the subcontinent.

Less whining, please!

Uff terrible play by England. I suppose there's a reason they can't play T20s, and they almost had to approach this as one. It's not a complete slog fest, you have to play out a few overs...

Lol England are crumbling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D/L has been very unfair on England and they definitely don't deserve to lose this series, having played the better cricket.

England batting like Bangladesh of the old. Its one thing playing positively, another just slogging every other delivery having to score at an ordinary RR of 7.7 for 26 overs

D/L has been very unfair on England and they definitely don't deserve to lose this series, having played the better cricket.

Sorry but England didn't. Lost wickets at crucial time. 192 in 26 overs is very much achievable except for Zimbabwe and Pakistan, and these 2 teams would still be favourites to win with the batting they have

Credit to NZ for the brand of cricket played. Keep in mind England are playing at home

The game is far from over yet.

England has 4 good batters still there and it's now 120 from 14 overs hardly impossible.

Sorry but England didn't. Lost wickets at crucial time. 192 in 26 overs is very much achievable except for Zimbabwe and Pakistan, and these 2 teams would still be favourites to win with the batting they have

Credit to NZ for the brand of cricket played. Keep in mind England are playing at home

What does this even mean? I think Pakistan can chase 192 in 26 overs - it's a slightly longer T20 match, and Pak have given good chases in T20s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back