Newbery Cricket Bats

Hammermellet

Debutant
Runs
Is it fair to assume newbery bats are cut on a CNC machine these days?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, most of the batmaking work on Newbery bat is done by CNC. Final touching etc is done by hands.

Newbery's CNC is not as advanced as GM.

Hey CD, just to correct you there. Newbery does not make their own bats anymore. TK makes them, not sure though if TK finishes them or if they are finished at newbery. Maybe you know the answer to that and can enlighten us.

Hey CD, just to correct you there. Newbery does not make their own bats anymore. TK makes them, not sure though if TK finishes them or if they are finished at newbery. Maybe you know the answer to that and can enlighten us.

TK has been pressing the bats for sometime there; CD is correct in saying that CNC does the majority of the work. That's why the pressing and finishing of Newbery is so good.

I know mate, TK make Newbery bats as for many other brands but since Tim Keeley is associated with Newbery so that's why Newbery/TK comes as one but I totally know what you're trying to say.

Anyways, yes from fitting handle to finishing all is does by Keeley brothers.

There is really no one at Newbery who makes bats or do finishing etc etc etc

Hope you get my point

TK has been pressing the bats for sometime there; CD is correct in saying that CNC does the majority of the work. That's why the pressing and finishing of Newbery is so good.

As I said Newbery"s CNC is not as hightech as GM CNC so some of the work needs to be done by hand too!

I know mate, TK make Newbery bats as for many other brands but since Tim Keeley is associated with Newbery so that's why Newbery/TK comes as one but I totally know what you're trying to say.

Anyways, yes from fitting handle to finishing all is does by Keeley brothers.

There is really no one at Newbery who makes bats or do finishing etc etc etc

Hope you get my point

As I said Newbery"s CNC is not as hightech as GM CNC so some of the work needs to be done by hand too!

I meant the hand finishing makes it look good. It is impossible for TK to work alone and press so many bats. He definitely has help. TK is used by many boutique manufacturers to press their bats as well.

I think Canners and 02thoeva might be able to shed more light on this.

I meant the hand finishing makes it look good. It is impossible for TK to work alone and press so many bats. He definitely has help. TK is used by many boutique manufacturers to press their bats as well.

Tim Keeley does not do all work himself, Nick and another brother (can't name him) help Tim out.

Edit: Its Fred who's name I was not able to recall.

Last edited:
I spoke to a couple of UK boutique brand insiders a few weeks back and the number of these brands using TK to press their bats is quite staggering.

man, i couldnt get through one minute of that show. it kept freezing up on me and a bunch of spam pop ups as well. thanks for the CD. :p

yeah, there are a lot of them . even lekka is getting bats from them as well.

Lekka has been getting bats from Tim Keeley for a while whereas he also get from Asia too!

There are loads of 'smaller' brands who have Tim Keeley made bats with there stickers, loads of brands as zeusky said get bats pressed by them.

I have heard Millichamp & Hall bats are pressed by Tim Keeley which is a big surprise really.

man, i couldnt get through one minute of that show. it kept freezing up on me and a bunch of spam pop ups as well. thanks for the CD. :p

yeah, there are a lot of them . even lekka is getting bats from them as well.

Ah man that sucks, try from PC not iPad :)

Which Brands would you say cd get there pressing amd part mades from them?

Which Brands would you say cd get there pressing amd part mades from them?

Here are some I am aware of, there must be more but these are the ones I know;

Redback - Pressed by Tim Keeley
Hell4Leather - Pressed by Tim Keeley
Millichamp & Hall - Pressed by Tim Keeley
FatBats - Pressed by Tim Keeley
Ayrtek - Made and Pressed by Tim Keeley
Black Cat - Made and Pressed by Tim Keeley
Bulldog - Made and Pressed by Tim Keeley
Instinct Cricket - Made and Pressed by Tim Keeley
Newbery - Made and Pressed by Tim Keeley

These are the ones I can think of at the moment..

Rob is an exception; Piri Piri might be an exception as well I think. Gary of course will never accept that TK does his pressing; I would say most of these brands will not openly state it.

CD, are you sure Blackcats are made by TK?

Rob is an exception; Piri Piri might be an exception as well I think. Gary of course will never accept that TK does his pressing; I would say most of these brands will not openly state it.

CD, are you sure Blackcats are made by TK?

Robert Pack has his own workshop/pressing and also make bats for Puma.

Yes, Piri Piri, Nixon, SAF (I think) all are exception.

Oh yeah no one is willing to openly state who makes there bats etc.

200% sure mate, clefts are provided by BlackCat but bats etc are made by Tim Keeley/Newbery.

Not sure if I will be able to catch the snap but the second BlackCat I got has a factory fitted toe guard so if you closely see the toe guard you can see 'Newbery' written :))

Robert Pack has his own workshop/pressing and also make bats for Puma.

Yes, Piri Piri, Nixon, SAF (I think) all are exception.

Oh yeah no one is willing to openly state who makes there bats etc.

200% sure mate, clefts are provided by BlackCat but bats etc are made by Tim Keeley/Newbery.

Not sure if I will be able to catch the snap but the second BlackCat I got has a factory fitted toe guard so if you closely see the toe guard you can see 'Newbery' written :))

That's funny :))

By the way, last month someone told me Willowstix are being made in India by RNS.

Here are some I am aware of, there must be more but these are the ones I know;

Redback - Pressed by Tim Keeley
Hell4Leather - Pressed by Tim Keeley
Millichamp & Hall - Pressed by Tim Keeley
FatBats - Pressed by Tim Keeley
Ayrtek - Made and Pressed by Tim Keeley
Black Cat - Made and Pressed by Tim Keeley
Bulldog - Made and Pressed by Tim Keeley
Instinct Cricket - Made and Pressed by Tim Keeley
Newbery - Made and Pressed by Tim Keeley

These are the ones I can think of at the moment..

Just to add Tim makes some of our Black/Green Mamba bats. we supply the willow

Regards

Asad

Just to add Tim makes some of our Black/Green Mamba bats. we supply the willow

Regards

Asad

Wanted to say that but thought you might not like it so didn't say that :)

Where do you get your willows from? Directly from JS Wrights?

Wanted to say that but thought you might not like it so didn't say that :)

Where do you get your willows from? Directly from JS Wrights?
why would i be afraid of admitting where our bats are made. He make some, around 1/3rd. I am proud that I get my bats made by Top bat makers. Rest are made in India and pakistan.
The willow is from JS wright, Tim buys it for me and also from another supplier

Regards

Asad

Yes, there are Tim and Nick in the workshop who run the CNC, splice and press the bats. Then 2/3 other guys finish the bats

Some people are bookworms

some people are networms

you guys are batworms

Seriously brilliant knowledge :bow:

why would i be afraid of admitting where our bats are made. He make some, around 1/3rd. I am proud that I get my bats made by Top bat makers. Rest are made in India and pakistan.
The willow is from JS wright, Tim buys it for me and also from another supplier

Regards

Asad

Well put Asadbhai; I seriously fail to understand why people will not disclose where their bats are being made. That is kind of a forgery I feel-- specially for the smaller boutique brands. Yours is a smaller brand yet you do not have any problems disclosing where and how the bats are being made. Then there are these smaller companies who keep using the words 'master bat maker' yet will not disclose who those 'master bat makers' are or where exactly they are being made. Crictech was here a few weeks back stating the same; why would the consumers spend 600 bucks on bats whose makers and place of make are shrouded in a veil?

It's kept private because Tim Keeley doesn't want topics like this on the forum. It affects his dealings with the likes of Newbery.

Well I'm thinking of getting my own brand going. Just for the fun of it and am thinking about either keeley, laver or even maybe mr bat bat as my bat maker. Who knows maybe even keeber.

Well I'm thinking of getting my own brand going. Just for the fun of it and am thinking about either keeley, laver or even maybe mr bat bat as my bat maker. Who knows maybe even keeber.

Yeah good idea --- you can use your own hammer edge' technology--mallet tested and proven :))

Not a bad option, I would say Andrew Kember would be very expensive compared to like of Tim Keeley.

You seem to be interested in Salix lately, here is review of my Salix Rogue;

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/showthread.php?t=114757&highlight=Review

Yes, how is this one treating you? The finishing of Salix bats is so awesome. And their willow grading I have been told is meticulous to the power of extreme. Why was this an outlet item---looks so amazing. I was getting a very good deal on a Daemon Grade One some months back but just did not pull the trigger. Do you think Salix has a future in a small market like North America? I am sure some of us might be interested but the majority might cringe looking at the price tag.

Hammer--- Kember is great and expensive; you just might have few takers on this one though provided the price is right.

Yes, how is this one treating you? The finishing of Salix bats is so awesome. And their willow grading I have been told is meticulous to the power of extreme. Why was this an outlet item---looks so amazing. I was getting a very good deal on a Daemon Grade One some months back but just did not pull the trigger. Do you think Salix has a future in a small market like North America? I am sure some of us might be interested but the majority might cringe looking at the price tag.

Hammer--- Kember is great and expensive; you just might have few takers on this one though provided the price is right.

It is a very very good bat, I rate Salix better than Newbery. Salix bats are brilliant! Finishing is amazing (If Screaming Cat's finishing is 10 out of 10 then Salix is 9.8 out of 10).

Salix is very very strict in grading and a small error or defect etc in a cleft means they can downgrade a bat, they just want to meet perfection.

The one I have is a bit traditional shape bat but it is mighty effective mate.

I think you missed a very good deal there, Salix bats usually don't have very good bargains but once they do you will see them quickly disappearing.

I have always believed that majority of the people in North America who play cricket are not willing to pay premium price, most are happy with Grade 2 or Grade 3 Pakistani or Indian brands, they are happy with that. This is mainly for club players like us there are some who play top level cricket and they are willing to fork out cash for a top of the line bat but those type of people are not frequently found around.

We people who are on forums have good bats and I blame this because of forums. That is because we spend lot of time on forum, manufacturers websites, have long off season etc so then we fall in trap and buy stuff. When I was not on forum I was very happy with low end Gray Nicolls products but once I found out more about Gray Nicolls products I didn't wanted to stick with that lower end stuff for some reason :)).

Well I'm interested in everybody, not just Salix. Trying to get things going with mars cricket, ayrtek ( also made by Kelley ) buffalo etc etc. I like to communicate and learn so I'm always talking to somebody somewhere on the planet.

Just sold one of the old Bedessee hero original bats to someone in the uk. Isn't that funny. That's bat has travelled a bit.

If I am going to do my own branded stuff, it's going to be top quality. Not lower grade stuff. I won't be interested in selling numbers, rather quality and let word of mouth be my advertising.

So I won't be scared to get it from keeley, Kimberly or laver as I know it will be top quality.

Well I'm interested in everybody, not just Salix. Trying to get things going with mars cricket, ayrtek ( also made by Kelley ) buffalo etc etc. I like to communicate and learn so I'm always talking to somebody somewhere on the planet.

Just sold one of the old Bedessee hero original bats to someone in the uk. Isn't that funny. That's bat has travelled a bit.

If I am going to do my own branded stuff, it's going to be top quality. Not lower grade stuff. I won't be interested in selling numbers, rather quality and let word of mouth be my advertising.

So I won't be scared to get it from keeley, Kimberly or laver as I know it will be top quality.

True.

Regarding Hero from Bedessee, I have seen a lot of people happy with a particular shape and they just want to stick with it. However, after recent experiences I feel that as world is moving forwards bats shapes are moving forward too!

It is not certain that what I liked in 2009 and how well it played etc it will feel or play the same, I'm sure that will never happen if in between you use few other bats.

Not really a fan of Newbery bats.
For some reason I always felt as if their face width is slightly narrower than many other standard bats.

However, I would like to see their Cenkos bat that costs a whopping £1200.00

Back