Off-field discussion points from the FIFA World Cup 2022 in Qatar

How should FIFA World Cup 2022 participants react to human rights issues in Qatar?

• Total voters
Well done Qatar for sticking to your principles. Let them cry.

H many Qatari gay married couples do you know?

None because it is illegal obviously. [MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] is right, this thread is going nowhere. Those opposed to discrimination who are being paid by the Qataris will take their thirty pieces of silver to turn a blind eye. Just as the rebel cricketers turned a blind eye to South Africa.

None because it is illegal obviously. [MENTION=1842]James[/MENTION] is right, this thread is going nowhere. Those opposed to discrimination who are being paid by the Qataris will take their thirty pieces of silver to turn a blind eye. Just as the rebel cricketers turned a blind eye to South Africa.

You are comparing South African apartheid to Qatar's same-sex marriage ban. Not the same thing according to vast majority of the world population.

Vast majority of the countries on this planet do not find same-sex marriage normal.

Last edited:
South Africa's apartheid was condemned by almost all countries. Entire international community (east and west) condemned that inhumane apartheid.

Qatar's same-sex marriage ban is only condemned by 10-15 western countries. 100+ countries either have no issue with it or they explicitly support the marriage ban.

So, comparing Qatar's same-sex marriage ban to South Africa's apartheid is illogical.

You are comparing South African apartheid to Qatar's same-sex marriage ban. Not the same thing according to vast majority of the world population.

Vast majority of the countries on this planet do not find same-sex marriage normal.

I think you are wasting your time.

The OP is pretty clear and posits a simple question.

The majority of the world are happy to get on with the football WC, but once again the SJW brigade are making the loudest noise and want to be heard while trying their utmost hardest not to criticise Islam directly - because strip away their hypocritical nonsense, and you are left with a rudimentary attack on Islam but the SJW dare not admit it.

On top of this, the people who oppose this WC on the grounds of human rights have said squat in response to the comments made by the FIFA President.

It is pretty evident that the SJW agenda is being forced upon us.

So much for their live and let live mantra - what a hoax.

Tomorrow, the world’s biggest sporting event will kick off for the first time in the Arab world, and the world will unite under the banner of football, with or without the West. Those who do not wish to participate in this momentous history, can continue to follow the war in Ukraine.

:)

I seriously hope that England don't go far in this tournament. That will teach them annoying woke liberals to focus on football and not cry about other countries culture.

I seriously hope that England don't go far in this tournament. That will teach them annoying woke liberals to focus on football and not cry about other countries culture.

They will find a way to blame the Qatari’s.

PM hails £10 billion Qatari ‘vote of confidence’ in the UK

The PM hosted the Amir of Qatar today to develop our historic partnership and agree new joint work on trade, energy and defence.

The UK and Qatar signed a new Strategic Investment Partnership (SIP) which will see Qatar invest up to £10 billion over the next five years in key sectors of the UK economy, including fintech, zero emissions vehicles, life sciences and cyber security. The investment is expected to create high-quality jobs in new industries across the country.

UK-Qatar trade was worth £4.8 billion last year and Qatari investment in the UK economy is already estimated to be worth over £40 billion, supporting jobs and growth across the country.

Reference: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...Qatar signed,life sciences and cyber security.

Qatar has billions of Dollars of investments in UK (worth over 40-billion GBP).

If Harry Kane and England have issues with Qatar, they should return that money.

Any every other European skipper too? And the Canadian skipper? And the Aussie skipper? And the American skipper? All will wear the rainbow armband.

Just checked. This armband will not be worn by Canadian, Australian, and American players.

Only the European countries.

Last edited:
I was a football fanatic growing up as a kid, moreso than cricket. The political agendas, blatant corruption, rank hypocrisy and nation-states spending limitless sums to buy success however has made me totally disenchanted. Nobody can claim the moral high ground.

1) Everyone knows the process behind the World Cup hosting rights was riddled with corruption and bribery. Qatar has never been a major football centre, they've literally had to build the infrastructure from scratch. FIFA should've been disbanded years ago and replaced with a credible governing body.

2) Where were the moral stances from players when Arab petrostates with dismal human rights records bought their clubs ? Last time I checked Man City and Newcastle weren't owned by Scandinavian social enterprises.

They are owned by two nations who've engineered the worst humanitarian disaster in decades in Yemen. One of which dismembered a journalist in 2018. Yet clearly the allure of big money and glittering silverware were enough to buy silence.

3) Qatar's use of migrant labour has been appalling. However the gall of the European press to suddenly now champion migrant rights. They've demonised migrants and asylum seekers for decades in inflammatory terms, creating ripe conditions for far-right politics.

4) Western Govts are staunch allies of these human rights violating Gulf autocracies. UK sold £20bn worth of arms to Saudi Arabia since 2015. It's wrong to play football in human rights violating countries but okay to sell them weapons ?

5) There's also a geopolitical reason why Qatar is being singled out. From all the Gulf autocracies, they pursue a semi-independent foreign policy and don't blindly follow the Saudi's script. Their willingess to engage with Iran led to MBS's failed blockade. Al Jazeera has flaws but remains the best media network in the Middle East. MBS and Israel despise Al Jazeera with Israel bombing its Gaza office and killing their leading Palestinian journalist Shireen Abu Akleh whose murder remains unpunished.

Fairly bang on as always.

Every WC of the last thirty years certainly was won through bribery, so I don't even hold that against Qatar. The Germans sold the Saudis weapons for 2006 iirc. I recall pre Brazil there was some media reports of construction being rushed to meet the deadline resulting in around a dozen deaths and that being controversial, but this is on another scale. Literal slave labour, people being robbed of passports, paid pounds a day and worked to death in their thousands, to create a completely plastic sense of luxury and football in a desert that is home to zero natural football culture.. Probably some Pakistanis among that number who've worked on this as well, so I do find some of the cheerleading here on this thread rather odd.

It's absolutely disgusting honestly. There has always been an element of willfully ignoring things to major sports events, we all wanna focus on the sport at the end of the day. That allowed me personally to enjoy Russia 2018 as I simply didn't believe or understand the danger Putin posed at the time. At least Russia has been a footballing powerhouse who on some fronts merited hosting the event. That was idiotic in hindsight. I am aware of what's going on with this event though, and it's simply barbaric, throw in completely destroying the entire European football calendar at short notice to accomodate it, and Infantino/FIFA's disgusting greed, nah, not for me.

I usually take time off to watch as much of a WC as I can as it's a great event, not this time. I just don't wan't to play any part of making it a success. Hope FIFA get sued to the stone age by their sponsors.

News flash for all those supporting Qatar: prominent UAE and Bahrain govt backed bloggers are all posting against Qatar, the UAE (MBZ himself) has funded a lot of anti Qatar news in the west. Before blaming "western media" wake up and realize that UAE and Saudi to a lesser extent were the ones to put the negative focus on Qatar

Of course. They will say ** like how England players couldn't play properly because of the Qatar heat.

Now this post is a gigantic misfire I’m sorry to say, because the heat will absolutely be a factor.

The whole tournament was moved from the summer to the winter for the first time ever specifically because of the heat.

And it will still be very hot (for football) even now. Most players won’t be used to running for 90 minutes in this sort of heat. I can see this reducing the chances of tournament victory for European teams in particular. There is a difference between an excuse and a legitimate reason.

South Africa's apartheid was condemned by almost all countries. Entire international community (east and west) condemned that inhumane apartheid.

Qatar's same-sex marriage ban is only condemned by 10-15 western countries. 100+ countries either have no issue with it or they explicitly support the marriage ban.

So, comparing Qatar's same-sex marriage ban to South Africa's apartheid is illogical.

There is no “same-sex marriage ban” on the statues there. It’s “put gays in jail and possibly execute them”.

Every humane government should oppose this. All citizens should have the right to love.

Now this post is a gigantic misfire I’m sorry to say, because the heat will absolutely be a factor.

The whole tournament was moved from the summer to the winter for the first time ever specifically because of the heat.

And it will still be very hot (for football) even now. Most players won’t be used to running for 90 minutes in this sort of heat. I can see this reducing the chances of tournament victory for European teams in particular. There is a difference between an excuse and a legitimate reason.

Sure, you would expect the African and ME / Gulf sides to do well as the northern teams will be gassing out in the last stages of each match.

What the hell does One Love mean anyway? Some dumb woke term invented by SJWs.

One Love is expression of universal respect for all regardless of race, creed and sexuality.

Surely social justice is good. Surely wokeness is good. The alternative is to be a horrible racist Islamophobe.

Respect for Mr. Gianni.

True statement.

It isn’t true. 3000 years? What’s he talking about? Europeans were living in mud huts 3000 years ago. Egypt and Persia were the imperialist conquerors then.

And I wonder how much he was paid to say that. FIFA is as corrupt as it gets.

Colombian singer Maluma has left a live TV interview after the reporter suggested he could be accused of whitewashing Qatari human rights abuses.

During a broadcast on Israeli public television, Maluma was asked: "Don't you have a problem with human rights violations in this country?"

He responded that was something he couldn't resolve, adding he had come to "enjoy life, enjoy soccer".

The star features alongside Nicki Minaj and Myriam Fares on Tukoh Taka, the official Fifa Qatar World Cup anthem.

BBC

The Fifa president, Gianni Infantino, has hit back at criticism of Qatar from Europe in a press conference on the eve of the World Cup.

The game’s global governing body has been attacked for its decision to take the finals to Qatar, where the treatment of migrant workers and the rights of LGBTQ+ people have been in the spotlight leading up to the finals.

“We have [been] told many, many lessons from some Europeans, from the western world,” Infantino said on Saturday. “I think for what we Europeans have been doing [for] the last 3,000 years we should be apologising for [the] next 3,000 years before starting to give moral lessons to people.”

Infantino began his speech by saying: “Today I feel Qatari. Today I feel Arabic. Today I feel African. Today I feel gay. Today I feel disabled. Today I feel [like] a migrant worker.

“Of course I am not Qatari, I am not an Arab, I am not African, I am not gay, I am not disabled. But I feel like it, because I know what it means to be discriminated [against], to be bullied, as a foreigner in a foreign country.

“As a child I was bullied – because I had red hair and freckles, plus I was Italian so imagine. What do you do then? You try to engage, make friends. Don’t start accusing, fighting, insulting, you start engaging. And this is what we should be doing.”

Infantino ended his hour-long press conference with an instruction to assembled journalists not to criticise the host nation. “If you need to criticise anybody, don’t put pressure on the players, the coaches.

“You want to criticise. You can crucify me. I’m here for that. Don’t criticise anyone. Don’t criticise Qatar. Let people enjoy this World Cup.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/nov/19/fifa-gianni-infantino-world-cup-qatar

Welsh first minister Mark Drakeford reacts to Infantino

The first signs of fallout from Infantino’s speech come from the Welsh first minister, Mark Drakeford. Here’s what he has to say:

I had two thoughts when I heard those comments. First of all, I think there is a serious point about being prepared to review our own history. Wales is an outward-looking, inclusive nation where people’s rights really matter to us. But it wasn’t always like that. In our own history, we have had times when things that we have done, including things that we have done in other parts of the world, wouldn’t measure up to the sorts of beliefs and standards that we hold ourselves to today. So to take a moment to reflect on our own histories, it’s not a moment wasted.

The second thought I had listening to what was said was to remind me of Healy’s first law of holes. Some people will remember Denis Healey, the great labour politician. And his first law of holes was when you’re in one, stop digging.

Via Reuters

Former Fifa president Sepp Blatter tells Radio 5 Live's new podcast series Powerplay that Qatar's human rights record "was not discussed" during the World Cup bidding process.

Blatter, 86, was president of world football's governing body when Qatar was awarded the tournament in 2010. He stated that additional "social and cultural conditions" for potential host countries were introduced after the decision, and that no such checks were in place during Qatar's bid.

The Swiss also said that a report rating the suitability of all potential 2022 World Cup hosts gave the Gulf state "the lowest qualification".

Yeah he's not a historian but you should get the point.

I suggest you watch Exterminate the brutes.

Instead of trying to normalise the abnormal try to realise the damage Europe has caused for Millennia. It has zero moral authority. US has more tbh.

Our resident historians completely skipped the Roman Empire.

Welsh first minister Mark Drakeford reacts to Infantino

The first signs of fallout from Infantino’s speech come from the Welsh first minister, Mark Drakeford. Here’s what he has to say:

I had two thoughts when I heard those comments. First of all, I think there is a serious point about being prepared to review our own history. Wales is an outward-looking, inclusive nation where people’s rights really matter to us. But it wasn’t always like that. In our own history, we have had times when things that we have done, including things that we have done in other parts of the world, wouldn’t measure up to the sorts of beliefs and standards that we hold ourselves to today. So to take a moment to reflect on our own histories, it’s not a moment wasted.

The second thought I had listening to what was said was to remind me of Healy’s first law of holes. Some people will remember Denis Healey, the great labour politician. And his first law of holes was when you’re in one, stop digging.

Via Reuters

Typical West. They will unite in condemnation, but part ways when condemned and criticised.

Lovely opening ceremony in progress

Morgan Freeman etc.

BBC still droning on and on about LGBTQ rights in Qatar, and laughably, migrant workers. Worst and most depressing world cup opening of all time.

30 mins into Match of the Day they are still banging on about human rights interspersed with the odd mention of England's chances.

30 mins into Match of the Day they are still banging on about human rights interspersed with the odd mention of England's chances.

They didn't talk about it when Qatar announced investments in UK. Why are they so concerned all of a sudden?

Reminds me of Kony 2012.

This is just a fad I feel.

Last edited:
This is amazing

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">&#55358;&#56617;<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Qatar2022?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Qatar2022</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/FIFAWorldCup?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#FIFAWorldCup</a> <a href="https://t.co/IXl8sUVUz6">pic.twitter.com/IXl8sUVUz6</a></p>— beIN SPORTS (@beINSPORTS_EN) <a href="https://twitter.com/beINSPORTS_EN/status/1594345904076726274?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 20, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Outrageously disrespectful to Qatar that the BBC didn’t broadcast the World Cup opening ceremony, and instead put out more virtue-signalling guff about how awful it is. If they’re that appalled, they should bring home their vast army of employees & spare us this absurd hypocrisy.</p>— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) <a href="https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1594380221356072960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 20, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Outrageously disrespectful to Qatar that the BBC didn’t broadcast the World Cup opening ceremony, and instead put out more virtue-signalling guff about how awful it is. If they’re that appalled, they should bring home their vast army of employees & spare us this absurd hypocrisy.</p>— Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) <a href="https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1594380221356072960?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">November 20, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Qatar should throw BBC out for this, such disrespect.

Great opening ceremony from Qatar. Classy, dignifying, and something that is normal.

I thought maybe I missed the opening ceremony, but seems Beeb were intent on wrecking the atmosphere. I hope they spend 30 mins talking about LGBTQ rights when the England game's on.

Meanwhile, the Football Association is trying to get clarification over whether captains will be booked if they wear the OneLove Armband in matches in the World Cup.

The captains of nine countries, including England and Wales, had planned to wear the OneLove armband to promote diversity and inclusion.

But Fifa announced new armbands in partnership with three United Nations agencies on the eve of the tournament.

The FA wrote to Fifa in September about the armband but didn't get a response. Their position was that they were willing to take a fine.

They are hoping that they get an answer later on Sunday before the match against Iran on Monday.

Let's stay on football, Qatar.

Other threads there for other topics

The Football Association has been told by Fifa its regulations do not allow for Harry Kane to wear the “OneLove” armband designed to express solidarity with marginalised people, including the criminalised gay community, at the Qatar World Cup finals.

The latest conversation, part of a standard meeting between team officials and the Fifa match commissioner on Sunday, has left the FA deeply frustrated with Fifa on the eve of the first game against Iran.

There is concern among some European nations who have pledged to wear the armband in Qatar that the team captain could be subject to a booking as soon as the game kicks off, although that has not yet been conveyed to the players.

Fifa has said in private that it has to approve any change to the equipment worn by the players on the pitch. The governing body has so far failed to respond to the FA’s requests to get approval for the “OneLove” armband which Kane wore in the two most recent Nations League games in September. Fifa has also failed to offer any clarity on the issue to the media.

On Saturday, Fifa launched alternative armbands with what it describes as messages of solidarity. The Fifa armbands have different slogans for each round, most of them meaningless. The design of the Fifa armbands is said to incorporate the heart of the “OneLove” armbands favoured by the European nations but not the rainbow of the “OneLove” version that represents the LGBT community.

Speaking earlier in the day, the Holland captain Virgil van Dijk, whose side face Senegal on Monday, alluded to the risk of a booking for wearing the armband.

Van Dijk said: "I will wear the one love armband tomorrow. Nothing changed from our point of view. If I will get a yellow card for wearing it then we would have to discuss it because I don't like to play while being on a yellow [card]."

The England and Wales team operations groups both met with Fifa officials ahead of their opening games in Qatar. That is a standard meeting that takes place with officials from both sides before every game. Fifa declined to comment.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/fif...sedgntp&cvid=8bf338fa9c8e4f6eaea2d5b9fd5ea354

The Football Association has been told by Fifa its regulations do not allow for Harry Kane to wear the “OneLove” armband designed to express solidarity with marginalised people, including the criminalised gay community, at the Qatar World Cup finals.

The latest conversation, part of a standard meeting between team officials and the Fifa match commissioner on Sunday, has left the FA deeply frustrated with Fifa on the eve of the first game against Iran.

There is concern among some European nations who have pledged to wear the armband in Qatar that the team captain could be subject to a booking as soon as the game kicks off, although that has not yet been conveyed to the players.

Fifa has said in private that it has to approve any change to the equipment worn by the players on the pitch. The governing body has so far failed to respond to the FA’s requests to get approval for the “OneLove” armband which Kane wore in the two most recent Nations League games in September. Fifa has also failed to offer any clarity on the issue to the media.

On Saturday, Fifa launched alternative armbands with what it describes as messages of solidarity. The Fifa armbands have different slogans for each round, most of them meaningless. The design of the Fifa armbands is said to incorporate the heart of the “OneLove” armbands favoured by the European nations but not the rainbow of the “OneLove” version that represents the LGBT community.

Speaking earlier in the day, the Holland captain Virgil van Dijk, whose side face Senegal on Monday, alluded to the risk of a booking for wearing the armband.

Van Dijk said: "I will wear the one love armband tomorrow. Nothing changed from our point of view. If I will get a yellow card for wearing it then we would have to discuss it because I don't like to play while being on a yellow [card]."

The England and Wales team operations groups both met with Fifa officials ahead of their opening games in Qatar. That is a standard meeting that takes place with officials from both sides before every game. Fifa declined to comment.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/fif...sedgntp&cvid=8bf338fa9c8e4f6eaea2d5b9fd5ea354

Fantastic news!

Give Harry Kane a straight red card if he wears that armband without approval.

Last edited:
Qatar is basically holding a halal World Cup. If someone has trouble with it, they should avoid traveling there.

Oh god I wish I could watch bein sport

The droning on about England, constant criticising and sniping of Qatar holding the tournament snubbing the ceremony what disrespect

the over top criticism of the Qatar football team and their performance against Ecuador

I really hope iran causes an upset tomorrow I doubt it but we can only hope.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh god I wish I could watch bein sport

The droning on about England, constant criticising and sniping of Qatar holding the tournament snubbing the ceremony what disrespect

the over top criticism of the Qatar football team and their performance against Ecuador

I really hope iran causes an upset tomorrow I doubt it but we can only hope.

Lets be honest, Qatar were very poor. I expected Ecuador to win, but I also expected a better performance from the host nation.

This. BBC are bunch of hypocritical fools. Qatar should kick out the likes of Linekar and co from their country.

The BBC aren’t going to be thrown out of Qatar, it would cause an international incident, and not just with the UK.

Lets be honest, Qatar were very poor. I expected Ecuador to win, but I also expected a better performance from the host nation.

Yes, one area of the criticism which is merited is that of Qatar’s performance on the pitch. Not a single shot on target in the game and made Ecuador look like Brazil in 1958. Qatar unfortunately spent 6 months in a training camp ahead of the tournament to serve up that dross.

One thing we can safely say after the rampant criticism of Qatar for hosting the world cup is that Islamophobia so blatantly exists in western countries like England.

US viewers accuse Fox Sports of ‘shilling for Qatar’ amid glowing World Cup coverage

US viewers have criticized Fox Sports after its broadcast of the opening day of the World Cup ignored the host country’s human rights record

Qatar has been attacked for its treatment of migrant workers, allegations of corruption in the bidding process for the tournament and its record on LGBTQ and women’s rights. Broadcasters such as the BBC and Telemundo chose to highlight those concerns in their coverage of the first day of the tournament, where the hosts lost to Ecuador after a lavish opening ceremony that included contributions from Morgan Freeman and Jungkook from BTS.

In contrast, Fox heaped praise on everything from the air-conditioning in the Al Bayt Stadium to the variety of food available to fans to the “very welcoming” secretary general of Qatar’s World Cup committee, Hassan Al-Thawadi. A puff piece with Al-Thawadi followed in which he was allowed to speak in glowing terms about the World Cup with no questions from interviewer Jenny Taft about concerns raised by journalists and human rights groups.

Roger Bennett, the influential co-host of the Men In Blazers podcast, posted a clip of the BBC’s coverage and wrote: “This is how BBC opened coverage of World Cup 2022. Stark contrast to Fox Coverage in United States. Please take a minute to watch. This is how this World Cup should be contextualized.”

Grant Wahl, arguably the most prominent soccer journalist in the US, also tweeted a link to the BBC’s opening day coverage and wrote: “Big contrast between the Qatar regime-aligned coverage in the United States on Fox Sports and the coverage on the UK rights-holder.”

Other viewers on Twitter asked Fox to “chill out on the propaganda” and to stop “shilling for Qatar”.

In the lead-up to the World Cup, Fox executive producer David Neal said he did not believe viewers wanted to be distracted by off-field issues during the tournament.

“We really believe viewers come to us at Fox Sports for the World Cup to see the World Cup,” he said. Qatar Airways, the country’s state-owned airline, is a major sponsor of Fox’s World Cup coverage.

In contrast, Telemundo, which owns the Spanish language broadcast rights for the World Cup in the US, said it intended to take a stronger line than Fox.

“I do think we have to talk about the legacy we leave. By the time the tournament’s over, we [won’t have been] ignoring the geopolitical issues that might arise,” said Telemundo Deportes president Ray Warren.

The US team at the World Cup have made a striking, if subtle, statement about their views. They have prominently displayed a rainbow logo at the team’s training facility in a country where homosexuality is illegal.

“It is not just Stateside that we want to bring attention to social issues, it is also abroad,” said US head coach Gregg Berhalter this week. “We recognize that Qatar has made strides and there has been a ton of progress but there’s some work still to do.”

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...been attacked for,on LGBTQ and women's rights.

Denmark manager Kasper Hjulmand on the wait to hear about a decision on the OneLove armbands:

"First of all I think it’s not up to the players. Imagine going on the pitch with a clear yellow card? That is not possible.

"We have to make sure it is not up to the players to make that decision. Let’s see later today what happens.

"I think a decision will be made later today when we have clear answers. We will see on the outcome.”

Why didn't they say all this when Qatar was awarded the hosting rights? They should have boycotted the event. Why the hue and cry now?

England, Wales and other European nations are in talks over whether to proceed with their plans for their captains to wear a OneLove armband at the World Cup in Qatar.

The captains of nine nations, including England's Harry Kane and Gareth Bale of Wales, had planned to wear the armband to promote diversity and inclusion.

But they have been warned by Fifa officials that wearing the armband would be a breach of its rules and risk a sporting sanction for captains, such as a booking.

With England due to kick off their World Cup campaign against Iran at 13:00 GMT on Monday, it remains unclear whether the Football Association (FA) will drop its plans for Kane to wear the armband.

Chief executive Mark Bullingham has told the BBC that the FA is willing to take a fine, but the feeling within the governing body is that the prospect of a booking and suspension has put players in an impossible position.

"We've been clear that we want to wear the armband," he told BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Monday. "It is important to us, but equally we need to work through all the discussions right now and see where we end up.

"We're very keen to wear the armband, we want to do it, but we need to consider the implications. Normally, in this kind of situation, there'd be a fine and we've said we'd be prepared to pay that, because we think it's important to show our support for inclusion.

"If the sporting sanction threat is real then we need to look at that, step back and work out if there's another way in which we can show our values."

BBC

It's confirmed!

BBC News - World Cup 2022: England, Wales & other European nations will not wear OneLove armbands

==

England, Wales and other European nations will not wear the OneLove armband at the World Cup in Qatar because of the threat of players being booked.

The captains, including England's Harry Kane and Gareth Bale of Wales, had planned to wear the armband during matches to promote diversity and inclusion.

A joint statement from seven football associations said they could not put their players "in a position where they could face sporting sanctions".

"We are very frustrated by the Fifa decision which we believe is unprecedented," the statement read.

The governing bodies - England, Wales, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland - said they had written to Fifa in September informing them about the OneLove armband but not received a response.

"Fifa has been very clear that it will impose sporting sanctions if our captains wear the armbands on the field of play," the statement added.

"We were prepared to pay fines that would normally apply to breaches of kit regulations and had a strong commitment to wearing the armband.

"However, we cannot put our players in the situation where they might be booked or even forced to leave the field of play."

ADVERTISEMENT

In response, Fifa has brought forward its own "No Discrimination" campaign, which had been due to start from the quarter-finals.

Captains will now be permitted to wear a No Discrimination armband for the duration of the tournament.

England begin their World Cup campaign against Iran at 13:00 GMT on Monday, while Wales play the United States at 19:00.

In an additional statement, the Football Association of Wales said: "We're frustrated. We're disappointed.

"But we remain with the belief that football is for everyone and stand with our LGBTQ+ members of the Welsh football family.

"Football for everyone."

FSA feels 'betrayed' by Fifa

Fifa's warning that it would impose sanctions on any captain who wore a OneLove armband has been criticised, with the Football Supporters' Association saying in a statement it felt "betrayed" by football's world governing body.

"Today we feel contempt for an organisation that has shown its true values by giving the yellow card to players and the red card to tolerance," it added.

"Never again should a World Cup be handed out solely on the basis of money and infrastructure.

"No country which falls short on LGBT+ rights, women's rights, workers' rights or any other universal human right should be given the honour of hosting a World Cup.

"It's astonishing that, on the morning of England's World Cup opener, Fifa are censoring players and the nine national FAs who wish to share a positive message."

3LionsPride, an England fan group for LGBTQ+ supporters, said the decision was "more than disappointing" and added that captains' "basic rights to freedom of speech and expression" were being crushed by Fifa.

The decision was also condemned by anti-discrimination campaign group Kick It Out.

"We are disappointed that Fifa are intent on imposing sanctions on European nations who choose to wear the OneLove armband, preventing teams from sending a strong statement to the world that diversity and inclusion are an integral part of the game," it said in a statement.

"This decision continues to highlight Fifa's failure to address concerns of both human rights groups and the LGBTQ+ community in the build-up to this tournament.

"Players and fans should not have had to bear the burden of Fifa's mistakes and we will continue to support Gareth Southgate, and his team, as they look to explore other ways to support inclusion in football."

The Netherlands began the OneLove campaign before Euro 2020 as a message against discrimination.

Same-sex relationships and the promotion of same-sex relationships are criminalised in Qatar.

On Saturday, Fifa president Gianni Infantino accused the West of "hypocrisy" in its reporting about Qatar's human rights record.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63699477

Just play your games, win the tournament, go home!

Stop this drama.

Taking selfies from the stands and sitting on the grassy pitch, thousands of migrant workers gathered in a Doha stadium to watch the opening match of the first World Cup in the Middle East.

The special fan zone set up at the industrial area on the city's outskirts includes a stadium with a giant TV screen and another big screen set up outside for an overflow crowd. It sits adjacent to several worker camps where many of Qatar's hundreds of thousands of low-income labourers live.

"We are here to enjoy our sweat now," said Ronald Ssenyondo, a 25-year-old Ugandan who was rooting for Qatar on Sunday.

He had been in Qatar for two years, working long hours under the sun to finish stadiums where the tournament was being held.

"I am just overwhelmed with the things I'm seeing now," he said.

The wealthy gas-producing country is home to 2.9 million people, the vast majority of whom are foreign workers ranging from low-income construction workers to high-powered executives.'

Rights groups have accused authorities of failing to protect lower-income workers - including those who built the stadiums and hotels to host World Cup fans - from overwork, unpaid wages and poor living conditions.

The government says it has enacted labour reforms, including a minimum monthly wage of 1,000 Qatari rials, or about $275, more than many can earn back home.

Match tickets for the opener cost an average of $200 - but the industrial fan zone was free. Thousands piled in to cheer on Qatar on Monday, groaning when the match ended with Ecuador's win 2-0.

Some told Reuters it was the closest they would get to a game all month.

"I'm supporting my sisters and brothers in Ethiopia by sending money back, so I'm coming here because tickets are too much," said Ali Jammal, 26, who has worked in Qatar for five years.

A nurse from Nepal, one of a handful of women watching, said she wouldn't be able to watch any other matches because of her long shifts at a hospital.

Mohammad Ansar, a 28-year-old Indian who has been working in Qatar since earlier this year, said he was volunteering with FIFA at two of the upcoming matches, so he would get in to watch them live.

But on Sunday, he was grateful to be with fellow workers watching on a screen - even though Qatar's loss was a disappointment.

"With this stadium for free, they're considering poor people also," he said.

Others were watching from their home countries: Amirul Hussein was gathered with friends to watch the opener in Dhaka, Bangladesh.

He had worked on stadiums in Qatar for four years and was on a short break back home to visit his family.

"Now I will watch the FIFA World Cup matches with great happiness. Of course, if I could be there, I would feel even better," he said.

Reuters

FiFdbGnX0AAGX8u

Bring the boys home England. Show you stand for your principles by conceding the game to Iran and packing your suitcases.

The players are being used like pawns when most of them probably have no interest in this.

If someone is genuinely serious about stances and what not, they would do what Andy Flower did at the 2003 World Cup, but don’t have the balls

Big respect for the Iranian captain to speak on the behalf and in support of women protestors in iran. I don’t know if he can go back to iran after this.

The World Cup should never have gone to Qatar in the first place. Not because they are an evil regime, but because it's not a proper football country. With all the moaning and groaning it's soured the tournament for me, I am not enjoying it. We have messed up a perfectly good football season by trying to shoehorn in a World cup which is being ruined all the political one upmanship.

I'm sure many of you are reading some borderline racist stuff on football social media as well. It's not a good look in 2022.

The world cup is missing some X factor. It looks flat, the crowd is boring. The X factor is missing. Also the timing is not right for us on the east coast. Oh well

European Teams Ditch "One Love" Armband Supporting LGBTQ Rights Under FIFA Pressure

England, Germany and five other European teams at the World Cup on Monday abandoned plans to wear a rainbow-themed armband in support of LGBTQ rights, citing the threat of disciplinary action from FIFA. "FIFA has been very clear that it will impose sporting sanctions if our captains wear the armbands on the field of play," they said in a joint statement. Under FIFA rules, players wearing kit that is not authorised by football's world governing body could be shown a yellow card.

If that player was then shown a second yellow card, they would be sent off.

The "OneLove" armband due to be warn by the likes of England captain Harry Kane and Germany counterpart Manuel Neuer is designed as part of a campaign to promote inclusivity.

The armbands had widely been viewed as a protest against laws in host nation Qatar, where homosexuality is illegal.

"As national federations, we can't put our players in a position where they could face sporting sanctions including bookings, so we have asked the captains not to attempt to wear the armbands in FIFA World Cup games," the federations of England, Wales, Belgium, Denmark, Germany, the Netherlands and Switzerland said.

NDTV

Huh? What does that mean?

Can the MCG come to Dhaka, similarly?

Are you Bangladeshi?

Stadium 974 in Qatar will be dismantled and rebuilt and the remainder of the stadiums have been designed so that their capacity is reduced significantly and the redundant seats will be given to poor nations.

It's quite well managed and there will be no "white elephant" legacy as there has been in other countries.

The only issue with Qatar hosting WC is the pathetic conditions that workers are forced to live. They were working in temperatures in excess of 52 degrees and their living conditions are pathetic. I don't blame Qatar for that. How desperate are people to go and work in that living hell of a country is amazing. It shows more about the failure of the countries where the migrant laborers are coming from.

People whining about lack of women rights, lack of Alcohol etc are dimwits. What were they expecting in an Arab country?

Are you Bangladeshi?

Stadium 974 in Qatar will be dismantled and rebuilt and the remainder of the stadiums have been designed so that their capacity is reduced significantly and the redundant seats will be given to poor nations.

It's quite well managed and there will be no "white elephant" legacy as there has been in other countries.

Qatar wants to be like UAE. But their population is so small and the land is useless except for oil. I was watching a documentary about Qatar and just 50 years ago, the entire country was a desert with nomads riding camels. Oil changed their fortunes. Throwing billions of Petro dollars to buy reputation will not help them. They will forever rely on other nations for everything as nothing grows there and nothing can be done outside due to horrible oppressive heat.

Qatar wants to be like UAE. But their population is so small and the land is useless except for oil. I was watching a documentary about Qatar and just 50 years ago, the entire country was a desert with nomads riding camels. Oil changed their fortunes. Throwing billions of Petro dollars to buy reputation will not help them. They will forever rely on other nations for everything as nothing grows there and nothing can be done outside due to horrible oppressive heat.

It is the same for all of the UAE countries. Vast amounts of empty land, and the local population is usually outnumbered by immigrants. These are mostly fake nations which arose due to the British carving up the area and appointing a few sheikhs with whom they could strike favourable deals. It would have been better if Arabs from other nations were allowed to settle there, Palestinians for example. But once you have all that wealth must be difficult to stomach sharing it.

It is the same for all of the UAE countries. Vast amounts of empty land, and the local population is usually outnumbered by immigrants. These are mostly fake nations which arose due to the British carving up the area and appointing a few sheikhs with whom they could strike favourable deals. It would have been better if Arabs from other nations were allowed to settle there, Palestinians for example. But once you have all that wealth must be difficult to stomach sharing it.

All nations are fake though. In reality there no countries apart from in the human imagination.

STICK to Qatar, football - leave wider politics out of this discussion.

We can call them all the names under the world and chat about oil wealth etc but the fact is they have developed incredible infrastructure and have their claws in major overseas assets.

From camels in the desert to a world cup in 50 years is incredible.

They have done better than say Nigeria. Yes they have spent on infrastructure . Not enough on education, human rights , women rights. . Look at norway . I think both countries discovered oil at the same time. . How many scientists have norway produced ?Human rights? Norwegian wealth fund for the people of norway. Also nothing is organic in Uae or Qatar or Saudi. The buildings are built by foreign firms . Would like to see some local talent come through

We can call them all the names under the world and chat about oil wealth etc but the fact is they have developed incredible infrastructure and have their claws in major overseas assets.

From camels in the desert to a world cup in 50 years is incredible.

Yes UAE and Qatar deserve respect. Immense amount of progress and UAE actually has decent regional military power.

Back