On This Day 17th March 2007: Pakistan lose to Ireland in the 2007 Cricket World Cup

A-1

Local Club Regular
Runs
73026.jpg

A magnificent performance from Ireland, and an innings of real class from their wicketkeeper, Niall O'Brien, sent Pakistan crashing out of the World Cup. Barring the unlikely prospect of Zimbabwe producing a major upset of their own, Ireland, in their first World Cup, are through to the Super Eights. What a St Patrick's Day it has been.

Chasing 133 on a difficult pitch, with conditions assisting Pakistan's bowlers, O'Brien led Ireland's response with a superb fifty which appeared to be easing his side home until a rain break, and Duckworth-Lewis, altered the required total - and his momentum.

On the resumption O'Brien attacked, crashing Iftikhar Anjum for a sumptuous cover drive and, shortly afterwards, smacking Shoaib Malik over his head for a huge, authoritative six, seemingly dampening Pakistan's hopes. But his resolve weakened when he attempted a repeat shot and was smartly stumped, cueing an Ireland collapse of 3 for 5 in seven balls to really lift Pakistan. The gloom persisted and, with the ever-present threat of rain in the air, Pakistan were never out of the game.

Out went one O'Brien, in came another: Niall's brother, Kevin, who showed the same dogged tenacity as his sibling, nudging a determined 16 to record Ireland's first win in a World Cup, and the biggest upset in years. Pakistan trudged off in the gloom, airport-bound, despondent and shell-shocked. Losing to West Indies was regrettable enough, but to Ireland? The repercussions could be messy.

O'Brien's innings began with a relative flurry of boundaries - off an angry Mohammad Sami and a rather more placid Umar Gul - before dropping anchor, absorbing the pressure and deadening Pakistan's potency. He came to the crease after Sami had removed Jeremy Bray - Ireland's hero in their memorable tie against Zimbabwe two days ago - and a nervous Eoin Morgan, both trapped in front. Batting was not easy.

Sami was hostile but O'Brien's resolve, not to mention ability, was up to the task - as was William Porterfield. A natural aggressor, he slunk into cautious defence - the situation required as such - before Mohammad Hafeez's clever arm-ball induced a thick inside edge. 62 for 3 then became 70 for 4 owing to a worryingly poor error in judgement from the umpire Brian Jerling when he gave Andre Botha out, caught by Hafeez at short-leg when he quite clearly hadn't touched it. The batsman's horror was matched only by Hafeez's surprise.

If the bowling was under par, it was the performance of their batsmen which really cost them the match. Reckless against West Indies in their opening match, today they struggled against the moving ball on a seamer-friendly surface. True, Ireland won a good toss; yes, the pitch was made for Ireland's wobblers. But Pakistan's much vaunted lineup were complacent, impatient and inexcusably careless. Dave Langford-Smith got the ball rolling with an early wicket, but it was Boyd Rankin - the tournament's tallest bowler at 6 foot 7 - who really caused problems, gaining steepling bounce and accounting for Younis Khan, Pakistan's pivotal No.3.

Imran Nazir was determined to counterattack and did so with Mohammad Yousuf in a steadying, calming partnership of 41 before Trent Johnston brought himself into the attack. Yet Yousuf, usually so nerveless, slapped him straight to backward point to leave Pakistan wobbling on 56 for 3. In came Inzamam-ul-Haq, the man who thrives (and often succeeds) in a crisis - but he too was troubled by the moving ball and edged Botha to Eoin Morgan's right who took a fine catch. Was the unthinkable happening?

Kamran Akmal was the only Pakistan batsman to show the necessary application - that alone tells a story - before he was caught, quite brilliantly, by Johnston diving (and winding himself in the process) at midwicket. With each wicket, Ireland's fielding intensity rose. They were dynamic and near faultless.

Labelled as minnows, underdogs, and chirpy hopefuls before the tournament begun, Ireland's performance here was as much a poke in the eye to the detractors who argue against Associates playing at this level. The Ireland coach, Adrian Birrell, said before today's game that all the pressure would be on Pakistan. It showed, too. With Bangladesh upsetting India, it was a day of banana skins.

Match in Discussion:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/wc2007/engine/current/match/247465.html

Remember this day very well. An extremely sad day and forgettable World Cup.

One of the saddest days of my life as a cricket fan. We lost the match to Bangladesh, i found some solace in your defeat (lol) then slept in disappointment. Next day when i wake up dad tells me about Woolmer's death and i am shell shocked. :(

Two biggest reasons to not undermine minnows!

My grandpa had to be taken to hospital

He had a heart attack after this match

Last edited:
was absolutely terrible, firstly the game but the Woolmer tragedy lives vivdly with me to this day.

I still remember sitting in front of the tv that day in absolute shock. was hoping the miraculous pakistan was going to take the last few wickets of ireland and win. But it just wasn't to be.

The match itself was terrible, the aftermath even worse.

Terrible memories.

On this day in 1999, BD beat pakistan people seemed to have forgotten that :asif

My grandpa had to be taken to hospital

He had a heart attack after this match

Thats terrible on 2 accounts. One the incident itself and other that SC fans unnecessarily take a game way too seriously.

Sad day in many ways

Bob Woolmer died next day

Ten years ! Ten years on and I'm still livid. Ireland. Frickin' Ireland. 132 all out.

On a pitch that resembled Dublin than Sabina Park. To be fair we had a good go of defending that meagre total and took 7 wickets, showing even another 30-40 runs could've made the difference. Niall O'Brien played a gem of a knock. The Irish boys were immaculate in their line and length but its not as if that Pakistani lineup wasn't capable of another 30-40 runs. The XI that day reads:

Imran Nazir, Mohammad Hafeez, Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Shoaib Malik, Kamran Akmal, Azhar Mahmood, Mohammad Sami, Rao Iftikhar and Umar Gul.

Forget Mohali or Lord's 1999. THIS is the hardest World Cup defeat to live down. After losing poorly to West Indies on the opening day of the tournament when Dwayne Smith of all people tore through our middle order - there was no margin for error.

Then news breaks that Bob Woolmer had died. I covered my thoughts on that awful event in [MENTION=3474]TalhaSyed[/MENTION]'s well timed thread as its also the tenth anniversary of his unfortunate demise. With the retirement of Inzamam, we were now shorn of a captain and coach. I wonder looking back whether it would've been worth Inzy staying on for a few more months given the terrible shock of Woolmer's passing and to make the transition easier.

In the aftermath, Shoaib Malik and Geoff Lawson were appointed captain and coach, but that duo did not last long. More captaincy changes followed, more coaches were appointed, egos clashed and players plotted against one another culminating in oathgate. Results continued to deteriorate. The events of the summer of 2010 seemed to me to cap what were four nightmare years for Pakistan cricket which began at The Oval in 2006. Scandal and tragedy became the norm.

I hope we never sink to those lows ever again. Congratulations Ireland.

I will never forget the next day in school as long as I live

It was like a day of mourning.

Everyone was SOOO quiet. It was like being at a funeral.

Somehow the weather was gloomy too with dark clouds in Karachi in March!! Or maybe it's the mind playing tricks on my memory.

Then we came back from school and got the news in the evening that Woolmer had died.

It's almost unbelievable that I didn't watch a single ball either. I saw the toss and remember the commentators saying that Pakistan are missing a trick by not playing Kaneria as Irish have never faced a quality finger spinner and he could do damage especially with Afridi suspended

After the toss I left home for something and was checking the scores on my phone as wickets kept falling. We were already all out by the time I came home and then I just couldn't turn on the tv and watch it happen

It's almost unbelievable that I didn't watch a single ball either. I saw the toss and remember the commentators saying that Pakistan are missing a trick by not playing Kaneria as Irish have never faced a quality finger spinner and he could do damage especially with Afridi suspended

After the toss I left home for something and was checking the scores on my phone as wickets kept falling. We were already all out by the time I came home and then I just couldn't turn on the tv and watch it happen

I still remember it like yesterday even though I was a 16 year old kid back then.

During the innings break I was watching some analysis by Sikandar Bakht and he was confident that we are going to defend it and it gave me a little hope.

Typical complacent attitude from Pakistan that day.

We should have been more circumspect after Ireland-South Africa warm up match. Ireland had South Africa at something like 90/8 before Andrew Hall took them near 200 which proved to be just enough. And after that match, Mickey Arthur (then South African coach), realizing that Ireland have got potential to cause an upset, shared the tactics with Irish coach how they successfully tackled Pakistan in a home series few weeks back.

In hindsight, the result of Zimbabwe-Ireland was so crucial. Zimbabwe required 20 in 30 balls with 5 wickets in hand and yet Ireland managed to eke out a tie. Had Zimbabwe scored one more run, all three of Pakistan, Zimbabwe and Ireland would have had same points with Pakistan having much superior NRR.

The next day was depressing. The rumour circulated that Ireland have been disqualified from the world cup because some of their players have been tested positive in a dope test. The rumour rekindled the hope for a while but with its death, came the news of Woolmer's death. There was no interest left in the world cup after then.

Ironically, the success of Ireland and Bangladesh prompted ICC to change the format of the WC to make it difficult for lesser teams to qualify,

Probably the worst day of my life. Was only 8 years of age and I was mentally scarred for weeks to come.

Was still relatively new to supporting Pakistan cricket but my passion was up there. I remember being on the ja-namaz praying for an Iftikhar hat-trick at one point.

When I found out Woolmer died, I legit thought the world was about to end.

Scary and depressing day.

Ten years ! Ten years on and I'm still livid. Ireland. Frickin' Ireland. 132 all out.

On a pitch that resembled Dublin than Sabina Park. To be fair we had a good go of defending that meagre total and took 7 wickets, showing even another 30-40 runs could've made the difference. Niall O'Brien played a gem of a knock. The Irish boys were immaculate in their line and length but its not as if that Pakistani lineup wasn't capable of another 30-40 runs. The XI that day reads:

Imran Nazir, Mohammad Hafeez, Younis Khan, Mohammad Yousuf, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Shoaib Malik, Kamran Akmal, Azhar Mahmood, Mohammad Sami, Rao Iftikhar and Umar Gul.

Forget Mohali or Lord's 1999. THIS is the hardest World Cup defeat to live down. After losing poorly to West Indies on the opening day of the tournament when Dwayne Smith of all people tore through our middle order - there was no margin for error.

Then news breaks that Bob Woolmer had died. I covered my thoughts on that awful event in [MENTION=3474]TalhaSyed[/MENTION]'s well timed thread as its also the tenth anniversary of his unfortunate demise. With the retirement of Inzamam, we were now shorn of a captain and coach. I wonder looking back whether it would've been worth Inzy staying on for a few more months given the terrible shock of Woolmer's passing and to make the transition easier.

In the aftermath, Shoaib Malik and Geoff Lawson were appointed captain and coach, but that duo did not last long. More captaincy changes followed, more coaches were appointed, egos clashed and players plotted against one another culminating in oathgate. Results continued to deteriorate. The events of the summer of 2010 seemed to me to cap what were four nightmare years for Pakistan cricket which began at The Oval in 2006. Scandal and tragedy became the norm.

I hope we never sink to those lows ever again. Congratulations Ireland.

Totally agree that it was the hardest World Cup defeat to live down, it was just too much especially with Bob passing away :( my lasting memory is Inzi in tears as he left the pitch in our final WC game I had never seen anything quiet like it.

It was the right time for him to go we had to build for the future, in the past we've had issues with seniors not knowing when to retire or simply being unwilling to; he left cricket honourably eventually in that game vs SA where he danced down the wicket looking to break miandads record

Totally agree that it was the hardest World Cup defeat to live down, it was just too much especially with Bob passing away :( my lasting memory is Inzi in tears as he left the pitch in our final WC game I had never seen anything quiet like it.

It was the right time for him to go we had to build for the future, in the past we've had issues with seniors not knowing when to retire or simply being unwilling to; he left cricket honourably eventually in that game vs SA where he danced down the wicket looking to break miandads record

True, ideally Younis Khan would've taken over as he was groomed for the captaincy being Inzy's VC but he rejected it and the captaincy merrygoround began. Pakistan was in a very low place during Aug 2006-Aug 2010. I find it amazing however that THREE of the culprits on that day - Mohammad Hafeez, Shoaib Malik and Kamran Akmal are still playing today ! And Younis Khan carried out playing ODIs until 2015.

The only positive from that appalling day was that the bowlers tried their hearts out. It was a valiant effort.

I'm all for the expansion of cricket, and I wish [MENTION=136108]Donal Cozzie[/MENTION]'s team all the best, but my god I hope we NEVER lose to that lot again. Last summer's mauling in Malahide was some payback I guess.

Last edited:
Absolutely depressing. Can remember me and my dad watching the Pakistan wickets fall and we couldn't believe. Than the news of Bobs death, couldn't believe it when I heard the news.

Remember that day. The atmosphere in school afterwards was really depressing. Choker batting lineup was always gonna choke. Every single batsman was a bottler. Overrated team but shouldn't have lost this game

Hard to believe but India and Pakistan both were eliminated in league games only and then some months later these two went on to compete against each others in the WT20 finals..!

Those were the worst times for Pakistani cricket fans.

Disgraceful exit from WC, Woolmer's death, and team politics, conspiracies, etc.

Some memories of that day in March!

Happy for the Irish fans that they're finally getting their due but truth be told the day in question really broke my heart, I was in my mid teens and this loss followed by the death of Woolmer made me quit watching the game for nearly two years.

I distinctly remember that I resumed watching the game again when Pakistan were playing the T20 world cup in 2009. Never saw YK 300 in Karachi or Amir's test debut against SL - Sad times :(

Lets hope this was the last time for such an upset!

history going to repeat . and again it involves Inzimam . sweet love beween Inzi and Ireland

Horrible memories especially when you consider what happened the next day

Yep a terrible time for Pakistan cricket.

Losing to Ireland
Getting knocked out in the group stage of the world cup
Bob Woolmer passes away
Some genius decides he was murdered
Pakistan players suspected of murder
Match fixing / all kinds of trash being thrown around at Pakistan cricket

Really depressing time.

In terms of the match itself, you have to hand it to Ireland because they performed admirably but what actually happened to us that day? Baffling.

Somehow you get the feeling that Indian and Pakistani fans have matured since the heady days of 2007 and a first round exit from a World Cup won't elicit these reactions anymore. Endless T20s have probably contributed to this.

I mean in 2011-12 we lost 4-0 in England, 4-0 in Australia, then lost 2-1 to England and topped it off with an ODI series loss to Pakistan at home and nothing happened.

Pakistan actually was a very good team back then but the bans/injury to Asif & Akhtar was a huge loss for Pakistan, I was 13 at that time & after the match, I was just thinking what would've happened if Shoaib & Asif were playing in that game vs Ireland. Niall O'Brien played an amazing knock & to this day I hate that man.

Pakistan actually was a very good team back then but the bans/injury to Asif & Akhtar was a huge loss for Pakistan, I was 13 at that time & after the match, I was just thinking what would've happened if Shoaib & Asif were playing in that game vs Ireland. Niall O'Brien played an amazing knock & to this day I hate that man.

Memory is a little hazy now but from what I remember Akhtar and Asif were probably doping and PCB were not confident they would clear the tests. Anyway, the batting was to blame. Inzi had declined rapidly and that middle order looked weak.

You can't win after posting only 132 in an ODI, even if you had McGrath and Steyn unless there is a horrific collapse up front and they're reeling at 33/6.

In fact that target is very chaseable even by a minnow in a T20.

Exception to the rule: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...ladesh-vs-india-2nd-odi-744681/full-scorecard

You can't win after posting only 132 in an ODI, even if you had McGrath and Steyn unless there is a horrific collapse up front and they're reeling at 33/6.

In fact that target is very chaseable even by a minnow in a T20.

Exception to the rule: https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...ladesh-vs-india-2nd-odi-744681/full-scorecard

132 although was extremely low but Pakistan was up against a Nation who were playing their 1st WC & Pakistan lost that game only by 3 wickets & even today I think Asif would've destroyed Ireland's side on that particular wicket.

I still had hopes for Pakistan even though we batted so poorly, i remember a little rain break and we came back and took a couple of wickets, but kevin o brien stayed firm for the irish.

I still had hopes for Pakistan even though we batted so poorly, i remember a little rain break and we came back and took a couple of wickets, but kevin o brien stayed firm for the irish.

It was Niall O'Brien who scored crucial 72 runs for the Irish, Kevin O'Brien 16 not out.

It was a very mature and solid knock by Niall O Brien by standards of a new Associate Nation. Niall got 72 and only got dismissed when he was in hurry to finish the match. Apart from him no other batsman got more than 20.

Pakistan got two quick wickets after the play was stopped due to rain but then Kevin o Brien stood strongly and made sure that Ireland cruise to the victory.

Pakistan almost made the match of a very low score. Almost there.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"Historic pictures, Ireland have beaten Pakistan and beaten them out of this World Cup"<br><br>On <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/StPatricksDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#StPatricksDay</a> 2007, Ireland knocked Pakistan out of the <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketworldcup?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@cricketworldcup</a> in Kingston. <a href="https://t.co/Ii39Hcla3l">pic.twitter.com/Ii39Hcla3l</a></p>— ICC (@ICC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1372162015213522944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 17, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Pakistan didn't look like a team that wanted to be out there playing cricket. Terrible performance all round and surely one of the worst days in the history of Pakistan cricket.

Credit to Oreland though, they played the better cricket and deserved the win.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">"Historic pictures, Ireland have beaten Pakistan and beaten them out of this World Cup"<br><br>On <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/StPatricksDay?src=hash&ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#StPatricksDay</a> 2007, Ireland knocked Pakistan out of the <a href="https://twitter.com/cricketworldcup?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@cricketworldcup</a> in Kingston. <a href="https://t.co/Ii39Hcla3l">pic.twitter.com/Ii39Hcla3l</a></p>— ICC (@ICC) <a href="https://twitter.com/ICC/status/1372162015213522944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 17, 2021</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Morgan running down the stairs :23:

Was watching this game with my cousins. We got so hyped when Rao Iftikhar took 2 in 2 :vk2 I might sound like a sore loser here but a WC without Pak and Ind (regardless of how good they are) is a dead WC and the 2007 edition was no exception.

That was the worst moment following Pakistan cricket for me. Not only the team, but the country seemed like it was falling apart.

Bob did not deserve for his tenure to end that way. Worse Pakistan teams were able to overcome poor starts simply because of more forgiving formats, but in 2007 if you had one or two bad days you're out.

I also remember it being the last Pakistan match I saw in my old house before we moved.

South Africa had a similar batting stumble vs Ireland in the warmup, but they played it smart by scrapping to 192 which was enough to defend. Our batsmen sadly lacked the game awareness.

Pakistan didn't look like a team that wanted to be out there playing cricket. Terrible performance all round and surely one of the worst days in the history of Pakistan cricket.

Yes i think once they saw the pitch they became circumspect n doubts came in rather than saying we are pakistan we will beat ireland no matter what the pitch

Also barring yousuf that was a terrible batting lineup, inzy was finished n looked awfully unfit, younis was never as good in odis, hafeez, malik.azhar akmal and nazir were medicore batsmen

The team looked unfit unmotivated and ripe for an early knockout

That was the worst moment following Pakistan cricket for me. Not only the team, but the country seemed like it was falling apart.

Yeah. The dark days of Pakistan cricket were from The Oval Test in England in 2006 to the Lord's Test in England in 2010. Both were coincidentally the final tests of their respective series and happened in August of their years.

So 4 years of total drama, acrimony and controversies on and off the field. Even a team that was losing all the time and just doing that would have had it better.

And it wasn't just the cricket team. Pakistan like you said was in tatters as of the late-2000s and early-2010s.

Yes i think once they saw the pitch they became circumspect n doubts came in rather than saying we are pakistan we will beat ireland no matter what the pitch

Also barring yousuf that was a terrible batting lineup, inzy was finished n looked awfully unfit, younis was never as good in odis, hafeez, malik.azhar akmal and nazir were medicore batsmen

The team looked unfit unmotivated and ripe for an early knockout

Watching those dismissals again is stomach churning.

Hafeez was never gonna last long against swing. Nazir, Younis and Inzamam tamely poke their bats outside offstump to balls moving away, Yousuf slaps a wide delivery straight to backward point just when we were rebuilding, Malik is out to military medium Kevin O'Brien, and the dismissals of Kamran Akmal and Azhar Mahmood are straightup criminal.

All very experienced international cricketers. All of these guys are now either still playing, coaches or YouTube experts claiming to have the answers to everything.

One of the ex-cricketers said on a talk show back then that the ICC deliberately prepared a swinging wicket for this match in order to make Pakistan lose as punishment for the Oval Test debacle and as payback for Darrell Hair.

Inzy was finished a yr and half earlier

After a record breaking 2005 he had a miserable 2006-07 where he slid further down the order and only scored one 50 in odis and one test hundred

In hindsight he shouldnt have played that world cup He was done

One of the ex-cricketers said on a talk show back then that the ICC deliberately prepared a swinging wicket for this match in order to make Pakistan lose as punishment for the Oval Test debacle and as payback for Darrell Hair.

It was the same wicket for both teams This is the mentality that cost them that game

They should ve beat ireland whatever the pitch or conditions The fact is these excuses and doubts in their ability led them straight to defeat Not x y or z

Last edited:
Watching those dismissals again is stomach churning.

Hafeez was never gonna last long against swing. Nazir, Younis and Inzamam tamely poke their bats outside offstump to balls moving away, Yousuf slaps a wide delivery straight to backward point just when we were rebuilding, Malik is out to military medium Kevin O'Brien, and the dismissals of Kamran Akmal and Azhar Mahmood are straightup criminal.

All very experienced international cricketers. All of these guys are now either still playing, coaches or YouTube experts claiming to have the answers to everything.

I wouldn't be here if not for this game so silver linings :yk

I remember still Botha absolutely swinging it miles, he had Nazir completely bamboozled for ages before he got him. Bowled 8 overs for five runs to my memory.

Was a horrific chase to watch, ridiculously tense.

Anyone else find it odd that Pakistan lost this match against Ireland on St Patricks day? I feel like this is one of them rigged games but we won't ever know the truth, this goes into the x files along with the moon landing, origin of covid, wtc building 7, gulf of tonkin and the 1985 NBA draft conspiracy. We may never know. :jf

Was that Eoin Morgan climbing down in shorts ? lol Didnt remember he played the WC as well

I am just imagining how PP threads would have been created on this day and what would have been written by posters back then.
After India's loss.. A lot of Threads making fun of Indian team and asking why India is so poor.
But after Pakistan's loss.. A rip roaring comeback of trolling by Indian fans.

After both India and Pakistan are knocked out.. Both countries fans come together to first mourn, then blame the format,
and then share the sorrow and pain of these two painful days.

I am just imagining how PP threads would have been created on this day and what would have been written by posters back then.
After India's loss.. A lot of Threads making fun of Indian team and asking why India is so poor.

After both India and Pakistan are knocked out.. Both countries fans come together to first mourn, then blame the format,

I think Pakistan lost first.

Ireland had defeated Pak & BD in 2007, Eng in 2011, WI & Zim in 2015

That's 5 wins in 3 WCs for them

And the ICC reduced the WC to 10 teams in 2019, making it difficult for teams like Ireland.

Rewarding Ireland (& Afghanistan)the test status & making T20I status global are the only good thing ICC has done for the non-traditional cricketing nations in the recent times.

PP was alive as of March 2007. One of us can scroll back and check, though we probably have to go 5000+ pages ago. :91:

Anyone else find it odd that Pakistan lost this match against Ireland on St Patricks day? I feel like this is one of them rigged games but we won't ever know the truth, this goes into the x files along with the moon landing, origin of covid, wtc building 7, gulf of tonkin and the 1985 NBA draft conspiracy. We may never know. :jf

Ireland beat England in 2011 on St. Patrick's Day as well. You may be onto something here. :batman:

Inzi's exit from cricket wasn't that conventional IIRC. He had gone to play the rebel ICL then relied on the PCB giving him a farewell game out of the blue to then announce his retirement.

Last edited:

How were you going to win an entire World Cup if you're complaining about a pitch in your 1st/2nd game against a minnow playing their first ever World Cup?

How were you going to win an entire World Cup if you're complaining about a pitch in your 1st/2nd game against a minnow playing their first ever World Cup?

Lol that asides from the fact you can’t prepare a swinging wicket... there’s no such thing as swinging wicket

Pakistan worst squad and team going into a world cup and they were pretty shambolic in all 1st round game before going out.

Lol that asides from the fact you can’t prepare a swinging wicket... there’s no such thing as swinging wicket

A swinging wicket is just a pitch with a lot of grass and moisture left on aka a green mamba, so yes you can make "Swinging wickets".

2nd darkest day of our cricket. This loss was the start of Pakistan being top 4 team across all formats to slowly sliding down the ranks for good with the rare upward blip here and there.

One of the most exciting days of cricket followed by the most.tragic of them all. Any Pakistani player that lived through those two days deserves enormous respect. First India and Pakistan crashing on the same day was unbelievably exciting. Even though you want your favorites to go through peacefully, there comes a time when you start rooting for the underdog. I distinctly remember rooting for the Bangladeshis especially the way they came out all gung ho and then Ireland. I also remember the scrutiny on Pakistani players after Woolmer's death. The rumors that players fixed the game and Woolmer was about to.disclose but was then killed. Horrible incident but 2 days that no cricket fan will ever forget.

2007 WC is saw only 4 matches.. India vs Bangladesh, India vs Namibia, India vs SRL and Pakistan vs Ireland. Did not watch a single game after that.
From 1996 WC till 2019 WC, the only WC whose all games I did not watch live on TV.
Horrible memories..

A swinging wicket is just a pitch with a lot of grass and moisture left on aka a green mamba, so yes you can make "Swinging wickets".

That is a seaming wicket. 🤦*♂️. Aajkal ke bachay smh

Oh the audacity... :))

'Swing' is the sideways movement of the ball before it makes contact with the playing surface or in some cases bat/pad. Whatever sideways motion after that is called seam movement.

So no...no curator in the world can make "swinging wickets". It's purely down to the skillset of the bowler and overhead conditions.

2007 WC is saw only 4 matches.. India vs Bangladesh, India vs Namibia, India vs SRL and Pakistan vs Ireland. Did not watch a single game after that.
From 1996 WC till 2019 WC, the only WC whose all games I did not watch live on TV.
Horrible memories..

Think you mean India vs Bermuda rather than Namibia.

Reckon a lot also had to do with weird timings of this tournament for the Fans in SC. Every match started in the evening so not the ideal time for the target base. WI hasn't been allotted the WC after that.

Back