On This Day - May 31, 1999: Pakistan lose to Bangladesh (1999 World Cup)

Khabri420

Senior T20I Player
Runs
Not exactly a day most Pakistanis would want to remember. For Bangladesh, there was all to play for and prove a point in their first ever world Cup outing.

Pakistan won the toss at Northampton and put Bangladesh into bat. Apart from Akram Khan and Shahriar Hossain, the Bangladeshi batsmen weren't able to build upon their innings. Highest scorer from Bangladesh was Akram Khan (42), with the second highest being the 'Extras' - tallying 40, which included 28 wides and 7 no-balls. As a result, Pakistan were fined 1 over for maintaing a slow over rate. From Pakistan's side, Saqlain Mushtaq was the main bowler who stood out from the rest, finishing with figures of 5/35. On the other hand, Azhar Mahmood conceded 56 runs from his 8 overs.

Chasing 224 in 49 overs, the Pakistan innings never got going. Half the side was back in the pavillion with score on 42. The lower order consisting of Azhar Mahmood, Wasim Akram, Moin Khan, and Saqlain Mushtaq did the bulk of the scoring as Pakistan fell short by a considerable margin of 62 runs, being bowled out for 161 in 44.3 overs. The crowd invaded the ground and the celebrations were on.

For Bangladesh and its fans this day has a special place in their cricket history - a day in which they beat a major cricketing country.

72262.jpg

Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/65221.html

Last edited:
To this day it remains their only win in ANY format against Pakistan

I was about to going to make these thread ..

but anyways it was the day i want to forget

There a lot of question marks regarding this match.

Since then Its quite shocking that Bangladesh have not beaten Pakistan once.

On This Day May 31, 1999: Pakistan lose to Bangladesh (WC 1999)

I was there. It was a horrible day.

Bangladesh haven't been able to even win the odd one-dayer against Pakistan, aside from this game.

Didnt India loose to Bangladesh too in a world cup. So there India is just as bad.

Our batsmen looked like they weren't even trying. Watching the highlights - its shocking to see how sloppy they were especially with those run outs.

T'was the first time I bet on anything in my life. Lost 50 bucks to a BD fan who taunts me to this day!!!

Remember the day cristal clear even today....that is one of the glorious day of bd cricket...i still feel the happiness of our heart...cool...still feel that...

The game was obviously shady.

Well either you conclude we were corrupt or calamitous. Neither option is good. Pakistan conceded 28 wides in the BD innings. They bowled so slowly they had to chase the BD total in 49 overs. Now for the run-chase, I cannot BELIEVE how sloppy we were:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xRWiDT6dPAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ijaz with an incredibly careless heave, chopping the ball onto his stumps at 8.55.

Then Saeed Anwar charges down the track like he's taken a dose of meth, Inzamam doesn't move, and Anwar gets run out at 9.51.

Inzamam plumb LBW going for a big heave across the line.

Wasim tries to gift Rafique a simple return at 13.44 before gifting a simple dolly to the man on the boundary at 15.07.

Another unbelievably sloppy run out at 14.07.

Another suicidal run attempt at 16.18.

Another dumb shot at 16.44, another dolly for the man on the boundary.

I don't know what Waqar thinks he trying to do at 17.52, giving target practice to the spinner to hit the stumps.

And we finish with one final calamitous run-out.

These guys didn't deserve to win the 99 WC for this farcical display alone. Well done Bangladesh though, good crowd in at Northampton and a historic victory.

After watching above video, Inzi is good cricketer. He should avoid any other profession like signing or acting etc

Well either you conclude we were corrupt or calamitous. Neither option is good. Pakistan conceded 28 wides in the BD innings. They bowled so slowly they had to chase the BD total in 49 overs. Now for the run-chase, I cannot BELIEVE how sloppy we were:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xRWiDT6dPAs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ijaz with an incredibly careless heave, chopping the ball onto his stumps at 8.55.

Then Saeed Anwar charges down the track like he's taken a dose of meth, Inzamam doesn't move, and Anwar gets run out at 9.51.

Wasim tries to gift Rafique a simple return at 13.44 before gifting a simple dolly to the man on the boundary at 15.07.

I don't know what Waqar thinks he trying to do at 17.52, giving target practice to the spinner to hit the stumps.

These guys didn't deserve to win the 99 WC for this farcical display alone. Well done Bangladesh though, good crowd in at Northampton and a historic victory.

Haha it's so obvious man. Another one is the Sydney Test in 2010.
But not taking anything away from Bangladesh, obviously a historic moment for them.

Pak team already qualified. Didn't matter if they would win or lose. So didn't care much. Plus the fact they were playing an associate team, they thought it would be a walk in the park. So they were sloppy yet they knew they could turn it on at the end and win it. But the pressure rose and could NOT finish the job cause the Tigers played out of their skin with nothing to lose. Mo Rafique and Co. Hats off to you.

Same thing as Champion WI losing to the Afghans in the T20 WC 2016. It happens.

Well,I think it was not about corruption at all but all about taking opposition very lightly....

Didnt India loose to Bangladesh too in a world cup. So there India is just as bad.[/QUOT

It was in March 17,2007...the fact is india was out of the tournament for that loss...so it would be mourning day india cricket :misbah

Is it true that after this match honourable sheikh hasina wajid gave statement in context to 1971 war?
May be, I don't know. I was in the US busy preparing for Y2K for my Vax and Alfa 4100. I pay less attention to Politics. Dishonest people have nothing better to do than tearing each other.

We'll never know for sure but this match really did look mega suspect and then to top it off a smiling Wasim at the end of the match said "I'm happy we lost to our brothers" lol.

One of the worst days in the history of Pakistan cricket.

The match didn't feel right. Some very odd cricket played by Pakistan that day.

It was a strange game. I didn't expect BD to win but they won.

I think Pakistan took the game way too lightly as they already qualified for Super Six prior to the game.

Most of the dismissals in that game were suspiciously very odd

Abdul Razzaq: There's no doubt Pakistan lost deliberately to Bangladesh in the 1999 World Cup.

Oh wait, we never heard that comment.

A full match being fixed is unlikely but there’s no doubt a care free attitude was present in hindsight it did Bangladesh cricket a big favour 20 years later they are now mostly competitive in all formats the experience of playing the best teams has paid off despite struggling in the first decade.

On the occasion of yet another anniversary of the epic win against Pakistan in the 1999 World Cup, Dhaka Tribune reached out to six successors of the team which had created history

In 1997 Bangladesh had marked their arrival in world cricket winning the ICC Trophy final against Kenya and waited two more years before playing their maiden 50-over World Cup. The world event held in England was grand and a dream for Bangladesh. The side were in trauma dealing with issues between the board, which was then called Bangladesh Cricket Control Board, and head coach Gordon Greenidge. But they had ensured to leave a mark winning two matches – against Scotland and then the historic one against the finalist of the tournament – Pakistan. Twenty one years have passed since the Pakistan game but the match is as fresh as yesterday. On the occasion of yet another anniversary of the epic win, Dhaka Tribune reached out to six successors of the team which had created history.

Mushfiqur Rahim

That time I was very young, used to watch matches on TV but never followed it seriously ball by ball. I was studying in class so I was waiting to make time for myself to go to the field and play. It was more like watching TV was a waste of time. I vaguely remember Bangladesh winning the game but later saw the highlights many times. It was a massive win for Bangladesh, a very special one. It was our second win having won the previous one against Scotland. Pakistan had legendary cricketers in the team back then and winning against them while playing in the first World Cup, that too in conditions like England was not an easy task. It had triggered belief in us which helped the game grow in the country and enabled the team to perform and shift the gear to the next level.

Nafees Iqbal

It was a great victory for us, though the first victory in World Cup had come against Scotland. Bangladesh team at that time were not used to the conditions in England. Back then we did not have the luxury to tour Europe and learn about conditions. We had won two matches and Pakistan were favorite, given that they were a massive team. They played the final in the World Cup [against Australia]. The whole nation was celebrating wildly, we were really proud of the moment. We instigated the confidence that we can win against big teams in big platforms but one thing I clearly remember - the spell that Khaled Mahmud Sujon had in that game. He was aggressive throughout the game and it had of course boosted the team. It helped to come out from the box that we were a new team in the arena; we had an attacking body language and we had the courage to look into the opponent’s eye. This message was beautifully given by Mahmud. I was young that time and this had inspired me. Whenever I played, I always looked into the eyes of the opponent. Under the leadership of Bulbul bhai [Aminul Islam] it was a massive victory.

Mahmudullah

I was around 13 or 14 years old. I still remember watching the game with family members, I used to understand cricket a bit, was studying in class seven and had just started playing with cricket ball. The win is special as I feel that it had laid the foundation of Bangladesh cricket. I was watching a post [yesterday] on social media, the win marking its 21st year. That win is still fresh for us and stayed in the hearts of all the cricket supporters of the country. It is special to me and I believe it is same to other cricketers too. Pakistan were a strong team back then and a win against them had boosted us with confidence and marked a success in the first World Cup. We, the current cricketers, are trying to continue the legacy and get wins for the country. This win can still be an inspiration for us.

Enamul Haque Jr

I had just started going to the field for practice with school team during the 1999 World Cup. I clearly remember the game, it was late night and I did not have the permission to go out and celebrate the win. But I was standing in the balcony and chanting “Bangladesh, Bangladesh” while my neighbors were out on the street, in fact the whole city was out on the streets that night. Honestly we never had the belief that we could win that match but Bangladesh won and it was historic, a statement to the world cricket of our arrival in the mainstream.

Tamim Iqbal

I think the celebration we had following the win against Pakistan in the 1999 World Cup is comparable to none. We had almost a similar one before that, two years ago when we won the ICC Trophy in 1997 but the win in the World Cup was special. I still remember the following morning when colors were thrown towards my house with people coming from different parts of the city and celebrating. I was very young back then but had fully participated in the celebration. Our win against Pakistan had come as a statement, it had come against a top notch team in that tournament and they went to play the final. I believe that win had boosted the cricket in the country, promised us chances in world cricket and later I heard from many seniors that that was one of the major reasons for us getting Test status right in the following year.

Shamsur Rahman

I was in my junior school and cricket was yet to become a passion. Used to play cricket in the neighborhood. But I remember partnerships between Opi [Mehrab Hossain] bhai and Biddut bhai [Shahriar Hossain] and a good innings from Akram [Khan] bhai. From bowling I still remember Sujon bhai’s spell. The win against Pakistan will remain one of the best in the history of cricket of Bangladesh, it had not come easy. It was a turning point. I can still feel the crazy celebration I had with my friends on the street.

https://www.dhakatribune.com/sport/2020/05/31/6-successors-recall-tigers-greatest-win

May 31, 1999, is a day we ain’t forgetting. Pakistan’s unexpected defeat in the World Cup at Northampton is a moment hard to ignore.

One of the few defeats that still haunts Pakistan.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was in the group stage and many teams bowled a lot of wides because the white Dukes ball proved difficult to control.

The India -Zimbabwe match was particularly notorious with both sides bowling a record number of ODIs, I believe

This was in the group stage and many teams bowled a lot of wides because the white Dukes ball proved difficult to control.

The India -Zimbabwe match was particularly notorious with both sides bowling a record number of ODIs, I believe
99 World Cup was renamed Wide Cup

Back