On This Day: October 9, 1994: Salim Malik scores match-saving 237 against Australia

WebGuru

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
Salim-Malik-Celebrates-941005G300.jpg

Scorecard: http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63655.html

In Rawalpindi, Australia declared at 521 in the first innings and in reply, Pakistan was all out for 260. Pakistan were put back in to bat and then Salim Malik batted for 7 hours and 23 minutes and changed the course of the match with 237 runs, including 34 boundaries to ensure a draw.

This is the highest score by any Pakistani batsman against Australia.

Last edited by a moderator:
The innings must be irritating for Australian trio of Shane Warne, Tim May and Mark Waugh who were offered money by him to lose the Test match in Karachi. To see the same player play a sublime innings in the same series must be hard for them.

Great innings nevertheless..

Im interested in this, could anyone elaborate on Malik's captaincy nous?

On This Day October 9th, 1994: Salim Malik scores match-saving 237 against Au...

I remember this match very well, because I was a Class 9th student in Qatar and our Urdu teacher was a childhood friend of Malik's, and he was over the moon the next day.

He used to show us the letters Malik wrote to him. Came across as a very humble, decent man in the letters. Just goes to show that appearances can be deceptive.

We left Qatar before the whole match-fixing fiasco. I would've loved to quiz my teacher about Malik and his potential for such shenanigans.

Interesting to see that Azhar Mahmood's century against south africa is #8, while Hanif Mohammad's 337 against the West Indies is lower at #19

We were at 89/5 when he came to bat and got us to 259 with his 132 and Pakistan got a 1st innings lead after bowling out SA at 231. First Test was drawn and Pakistan won this second Test so there was a chance to win the Series against SA in SA by winnings third Test (unfortunately we lost 3rd Test) so you can imagine the impact of this 1 innings.

Hanif innings and Salim innings both were top class too because both of them played a match saving innings after a follow on.

Last edited:
We were at 89/5 when he came to bat and got us to 259 with his 132 and Pakistan got a 1st innings lead after bowling out SA at 231. First Test was drawn and Pakistan won this second Test so there was a chance to win the Series against SA in SA by winnings third Test (unfortunately we lost 3rd Test) so you can imagine the impact of this 1 innings.

Hanif innings and Salim innings both were top class too because both of them played a match saving innings after a follow on.

No doubt it was a great innings, I watched every ball of that series on TV. Just thought that Hanifs was an even more epic innings, a match saving triple century, the longest innings ever, against the mighty Windies.

the batsmen who started to exploit the extra cover region by playing inside out to balls bowled on leg stump

Great batsmen and let himself down due to the spot fixing fiasco

I did not see this inning but I cannot forgot the 76 odd runs of 40 ball in a odi against India in india.
One of the best odi knocks I have seen. Won us the game from nowhere. salim malik one of the most talented of pak batsmen, just did not do himself justice.

Pity such a talent went to waste due to all these other issues.

One of the truly great test innings, from his ability to switch between attack and defence to the situation to the impact on the game. Also, probably my favourite double century, such a shame Malik ended the way he did.

Malik pretty much hammered shane warne with that bat all series to lead us to a 1-0 win.

Back