Pak Women vs Windies women. First Super Six match!

26/4 now Almas takes her third.

She's bowled 6 overs with 4 maidens for 6 runs and 3 wickets!!

Great bowling effort by "Almas Akram" & "Qanita Jalil"...

Specially A. Akram.... 6 ov 6 runs 3 wkts ..... exceptional

Damn - when they said its on Saturday, I forget its being played in Aus!!!

And having watched the game v Eng, its good to be able to put a face against the name...

34-4 off 19 overs

Pakistan's weak link (apart from their fieding) is their batting.

It folded against India, and horribly collapsed from 50 odd for 1 to 80 odd all out v England.

I think they could chase down around 100 runs but I'd feel safer if they got the other team out for 70-80

Interesting. Windies have a Anisa Mohammed playing for them (born in Trinidad)

Oxy said:
Interesting. Windies have a Anisa Mohammed playing for them (born in Trinidad)

Any relation to Dave Mohammad? Made her debut at 15 says Cricinfo

ICC have shot themselves in the foot.

They could have promoted this big time by offering free online video streaming.

Mercenary said:
Any relation to Dave Mohammad? Made her debut at 15 says Cricinfo

Dont know - but he has about 10-11 brothers & sisters doesnt he? She might be one of them!

Last edited:
Does he?

And I dont think the ICC care much for womens cricket. It probably costs more to run than the revenue coming in

Just checked cricinfo, who say he is the youngest of 10 children - but Anisa Mohammed is 10 years younger, so no relative!

39-4 off 21 overs.

Difficult to guage any of these teams (apart from Aus,Ind & Eng)

Not until you get to the semis that they will be truly challenged.

Mercenary said:
And I dont think the ICC care much for womens cricket. It probably costs more to run than the revenue coming in

Well England are playing, but Sky cant show it because there are no camera crew/ commentators there to cover it!

Seems pointless to have a Womens world cup, and then the ICC treat it like dirt!

Cricinfo doesn't have any relatives listed in her profile like they do for men

Last edited by a moderator:
Oxy said:
Not until you get to the semis that they will be truly challenged.

There are no QFs or even semis. The top 2 teams in the Super Six will play the final.

Plus the facts all the teams are playing at the same time goes to show how importantly the ICC are taking it.

They just want it to be over as quickly and cheaply as possible.

12thMan said:
Cricinfo doesn't have any relatives listed in her profile like they do for men

For Qanita Jalil there is a Nasir Jalil listed as a brother so I guess that means she's Anisa isn't related to Dave. Plus there's what Oxy said.

Mercenary said:
Asmavia Iqbal comes on second change today!!

That girl needs 10 overs - from the start with the new ball.

Get Aquib to work on that action - she could bowl 10 mph faster!

49-4 off 25 overs

Its a bowling dominated World Cup so far - or the women batter-nees lack power

Asmavia needs to run in faster and put more into her action, she could be clocking 70-75mph easily.

59-5 off 27 0vers

Sana Mir makes the breakthrough - the PAk VC - Good bowler

We werent expected to win any games, if we can go back with 2 or 3 wins then that will be like winning the world cup for us.

Mercenary said:
We werent expected to win any games, if we can go back with 2 or 3 wins then that will be like winning the world cup for us.

For Pak women, getting to the WC was a triumph.

Playing 3 games was a great practice - the aim was improve their ICC Ranking from 8th place - which they have accomplished.

Super Sixes gives them 3 extra games to learn from - another win would be fantastic

Well they are in the super six, have easily put the men's cricket team to shame :inzi

Windies girls are rallying, Pak women taking a bit of a pasting here.

Come on girls, take some wickets!

89-5 (33.1)

JAveria Khan getting a bit of a tonking - wasnt impressed with her v Eng

I think I may follow our womens team with a bit more interest afterthe WC is over.

I have taken to them!

Mercenary said:
Shame Urooj didnt bowl before now. Injured or doing a Malik?

Definately not injured - played in all 3 games.

93/5 (35.0) | RR: 2.66

I only just noticed. Number 3 batperson Sukhan Faiz has been dropped for Armaan Khan.

Good decision Sukhan induced the collapse and looked way out of her depth.

Oxy said:
Definately not injured - played in all 3 games.

93/5 (35.0) | RR: 2.66

You can bat whilst being injured as a bowler but then she fielded at point in the last game so maybe she wasnt!!

And Urooj breaks through!!!

93/6 (35.1)

She should have bowled in the previous games!!!

Sukhan Faiz was way way way out of her depth - but every PAk team needs a 'sifarshi' :)

She's supposed to be our best spin bowler. Should've bowled in the last game, could've changed the outcome.

Mercenary said:
She's supposed to be our best spin bowler. Should've bowled in the last game, could've changed the outcome.

Actually I just remembered what happened in the last game so I take that back!!

103-6 (37.0) | RR: 2.78

I cant see PAk chasing more than 120+ in this tournamenyt, so need to take some urgent wkts!

Anjum Chopra talks about the 1997 Women's World Cup...

A litany of woe

Anjum Chopra looks back at the sixth women's World Cup

March 11, 2009

Cricinfo asked former and current women players for their lasting memories from each of the eight World Cups so far. Anjum Chopra, the former India captain, who is playing in her fourth World Cup at present, looks back at the sixth tournament.

1997, India
Anjum Chopra

We played the semi-final against Australia at Delhi's Harbax Singh Stadium. There was no one to move the sightscreen, so with a right-hander and left-hander batting, the Indian fielders had to run from mid-on or elsewhere to move it for them.

To make things worse, we were fined for slow over-rate and docked two overs from our chase. After our loss, we were invited by the association to watch the final between England and Australia at the Eden Gardens. But when we got to the game, there were no pavilion seats kept for us, so we had to sit in the stands. We were told to come down to the presentation ceremony after the game but when we tried to make our way to the ground, we were stopped by security men who refused to let us through even when we told them we were members of the Indian team.

The tournament was also scheduled poorly - with warm-ups in the warmer south and the World Cup matches in the cold, foggy north. We spent a lot of our time waiting at airports or at grounds, and even missed a day of practice because it took so long to get to where we were staying. I can laugh at it now but back then it felt miserable to be in such a situation.

http://content.cricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/394665.html

Disgraceful stuff from the ICC and Indian organisers! Tho I doubt a Pak WC would've been better hosted.

Last edited:
good fight back by WI. Hopefully they don't have too many slow bowlers because it looks like if there is more of pace attack Pakistan may be able to score better. With spinners last game they were hardly getting to the 30 yard line

Mercenary said:
Anjum Chopra talks about the 1997 Women's World Cup...

Disgraceful stuff from the ICC and Indian organisers! Tho I doubt a Pak WC would've been better hosted.

Well its happened today - in the Aus v Ind game! A couple of the Indian squad members had to move the sight-screen for their colleagues!

Oxy said:
Well its happened today - in the Aus v Ind game! A couple of the Indian squad members had to move the sight-screen for their colleagues!

Poor girls!

Pakistan needs a batsman like the woman 4-6 years ago (I think her last name was Baloch ) scored 200 something in a test againt WI. It was a record then

Urooj gets rid of the opener. 2 wickets now but is it too little too late? Maybe she should've come on instead of Javeria!

111/8 (41.0) | RR: 2.71

Windies will try to bat out the overs, Pak batsmen have been in poor form this tournament. Let's hope they do better today!

Urooj taking a bit of a pasting here but she's taken two important wickets too. Typical legspinner!!

Almas takes her fourth wicket but this time by run out...

117/9 (43.0) | RR: 2.72

Come on Urooj bring on Almas from the other end and finish this now

Thats harsh Merc.

WI run rate has fallen by 0.2 / over since Urooj came on.

119/9 (46.0) | RR: 2.59

Seems as though spin is the key - or at least 'no pace'!

Slow wkts in the games I ve seen so far

Urooj should've brought Almas back on by now, she's got 3 overs left. Best bowler of the day!

123/9 (49.0) | RR: 2.51

I still cant believe Almas didnt complete her overs! 3/7 in 7 with 4 maidens!!

Brilliant 'death' bowling by Pak

Windies finish on: 132/9 (50.0) | RR: 2.64

Pakistan need 133 runs to win

Oxy said:

Brilliant 'death' bowling by Pak

Yeah we're awesome death bowlers arent we!!

However Urooj has just given away 9 runs in the last over!!

Oxy said:
Windies finish on: 132/9 (50.0) | RR: 2.64

Pakistan need 133 runs to win

Depends how they handle Anisa's spin! Do they have any other spinners?

Mercenary said:
Depends how they handle Anisa's spin! Do they have any other spinners?

Like I know!

Just know bits about Pak, Ind and Eng teams.

Thats me done - lets hope ladies get another win under their belt.

Would be great for confidence & morale - and Merc can blag another interview with Urooj!

This is probably their best chance of a win in the Super Six so they have to apply themselves to chasing down the score. They have the ability they just lack the self-belief.

39-2 (21) the other opener out too, Abidi for 15, Asmavia Iqbal and Sana Mir batting

Hope they bat better against the spinners today than they did against England's.

Back