Pakistan needs a players' association : Mike Selvey

Saj

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
In the summer of 1968, inadvertently, I was privy to what I now realise was one of the earliest meetings of what was then known as the Cricketers' Association. It took place in a pub in the centre of Worcester and of those there I recall only Jack Bannister, who was the association secretary for so many years, and the Surrey batsman Michael Edwards, who had taken me along with him. Back then, it seemed as if it was a subversive organisation meeting in secret. Perhaps it was.

But how things have grown from that day to this. The Professional Cricketers' Association, as it is now known, is a large organisation with far-reaching influence, commercial interests, benevolent fund, community activities and a whole lot more, including a leading part in drawing up the England central contract which Kevin Pietersen signed last year but from which he now wishes to distance himself.

It was the first organisation of its kind in the cricket world, and remains the largest. From it, other countries have developed their own, so that there are now thriving associations in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, and West Indies, each of them members of the Federation of International Cricketers' Associations, founded in 1998, given to further the interests of cricketers worldwide.

Each of these individual associations is an important body, giving the professional cricketers of their relevant countries a voice where once there was none. In the Caribbean, the West Indies association has come to be regarded as too militant at times, but it has nonetheless played a valuable role in keeping in check an insipid cricket board. Recently, the New Zealand association has expressed its concern over the resignation of the national coach John Wright, and that in Sri Lanka has battled to ensure that its national players have ultimately been paid the money they had been owed for a year.

Currently, the Australian Cricketers' Association is embroiled in discussions with Cricket Australia regarding the new Memorandum of Understanding which covers all cricket from international, through state and downwards. As it stands, there is a standoff between the board and the Australian team that has embarked on an ODI tour of England, but which, if there is no agreement by the time the old memorandum expires at the end of this month, could mean the slender possibility of the players going on strike.

There are, though, three omissions from the membership of Fica in the form of Zimbabwe, which given the tribulations that have afflicted cricket in that country is no surprise, and perhaps more pertinently, Pakistan and India, neither of whose cricket board, along with that of Zimbabwe, recognises Fica. In an interview last month, Tim May, the former Australian off-spinner who is Fica's CEO, had this to say about why a cricket board may not wish to recognise his organisation, or a national body representing the players' interests: "Well, not all the cricket boards recognise Fica for a couple of reasons, the first one being that Fica is a body of players' associations for full members and an associate members' players' association. So if there isn't such an association in a particular country – which there aren't in Pakistan, India and Zimbabwe – then those countries will automatically not recognise Fica. If there was a players' association in Pakistan, India and Zimbabwe, they still wouldn't acknowledge them because player representatives can [then] provide professional advice to the players – players will be more knowledgeable about their legal rights, rights that pertain to their image, and they will have a fair understanding about their worth in the marketplace.

"At the end of the day, what it means is that boards which have typically been able to deal one-on-one with players, which is a very easy exercise and as there is a chasm of power there in the favour of the board. Now if they do recognise players' associations, their chasm of power would be lessened and it would actually be far more equitable. So they don't want to recognise players' associations because they just want to continue enjoying this unhealthy and inequitable chasm of power that possess at the moment."

Whether this applies so much to India, where the players themselves appear to enjoy enormous individual power anyway, is a moot point. But given that the interview was for a Pakistan outlet, May had this further to say on when or if there should be a players' association in Pakistan, a country that is now attempting to rebuild its cricket structure. "I think the time came about 15 years ago to be honest," May said. "If ever there was a body of players that would benefit the most, and not just the players, it would be Pakistan cricket. A players' association binds the players together. Pakistan cricket for too long has consisted of different camps within the team, and this is an outsider's point of view.

"From my conversations with Pakistani players, [it is] also an insider's point of view. They need something which unifies the players and that's what a players' association is. It represents the common interest of the players, the players will rally behind the association, and it brings about unity and accountability amongst your own players. That's good for Pakistan cricket – Pakistan cricket doesn't need players fighting with the board all the time and the board thinking that they are totally unaccountable to the players – it just breeds a hot bed of tension and at the end of the day, this will transpire into non-optimal international performances which is not what you want at the end of the day.

"A players' association in Pakistan should have been there 10 or 15 years ago. There's probably a multitude of reasons, but it hasn't happened. Some people sitting on the outside who have experienced a players' association know its benefits. Everyone sort of shakes their head and we just don't understand why there isn't one in Pakistan."

An association, and membership of Fica, can only help the renaissance of Pakistan cricket.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/jun/14/guardian-world-cricket-forum-pakistan?newsfeed=true

A good read and plenty of quotes from our interview with Tim May.

This is something that should really have been there many years ago.

My prediction, Younis Khan to start this off once he retires.

Our players are deeply suspicious of each others motives. We suspect everyone and everything, its watches the wretched Saas bahu Indian dramas.

Our players are deeply suspicious of each others motives. We suspect everyone and everything, its watches the wretched Saas bahu Indian dramas.

They really need to put all that behind them and move forward. Look at other cricketing nations and see how important such an organisation is and the benefits of it.

I've spoken with some ex players about this and frankly they don't want to take the lead on it.

Over the past week, the Pakistan Cricket Board has been in news for the concerns surrounding the issuance of No-Objection Certificates (NOCs) to the players for participation in foreign leagues. After it was reported that PCB had denied the same, the board issued a strongly-worded statement denying any such development. On Tuesday, former Pakistan captain and one of the most popular cricketers of the country, Shahid Afridi spoke in detail about the concerns surrounding the NOCs.

The conversation soon turned to players not having an association of their own that could voice the opinions of cricketers in Pakistan, and Afridi revealed that former captain Inzamam-ul-Haq as well as ex-spinner Mushtaq Ahmed had urged for the formation of one. However, the board “would never let it happen.”

“Inzi bhai, Mushi bhai had pushed for it (player's association), but we know the board would never it happen. Having a players' association is a very good thing,” said Afridi on TV.

Further speaking on the same, Afridi also claimed that the board has always tried to “please the captain.”

“I won't take any captain's name. But the board just wants to please the captain, agree to his demands. Players' issues don't matter much. The main thing is the captain. The players will agree to what captain says. If the captain asks players to sign on something, they will. Players don't know that the board is keeping the captain happy. These things happen and they are still happening. Players still have problems. So, the formation of players association will be very beneficial,” the former cricketer who represented Pakistan in 398 ODIs and 99 T20Is.

The Pakistan team will return to international action with the three-match ODI series against Netherlands later this month, before taking part in the Asia Cup. The Babar Azam-led side opens its campaign in the continental tournament against arch-rivals India on August 28.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cric...tion-on-pakistan-cricket-101660131151205.html

No chance boards like BCCI/PCB/BCB will allow to have any sort of players associations.

Indian players concerns are addressed behind closed doors as they are very well paid as compared to the country they live in and their cost of living. Not the same for Pakistan/Bangladesh players.

At lower levels also now Ranji players are making decent monies and live in good hotels etc when travelling, with good facilities all around. There is a Ranji Captains get together which happens to take feedback on improvements in first class structure. But I don't think there is any open or transparent feedback shared there.

Subcontinent administrators/managers in general despise constructive feedback and will turn the screws on someone questioning them.

Why is there no Player's Body?

Cricinfo // BofyHistorically, the PCB hasn't formally negotiated with players while writing contacts and on their part, players have rarely disputed any aspect of the contracts, beyond ensuring satisfactory annual pay rises. Against that backdrop, and the fact there is no player's body in the country, the pushback from a group of elite national cricketers, more aware than ever not only of their commercial value but rights as employees could be seen as a marker of sorts in player-board relations. Even until late on Thursday, as Pakistan readied for departure, there was a real chance that the captain, star fast bowler and wicketkeeper-batter - among others - travelled without having signed contracts

Why is there no player representative body , I'm sure all home players would benefit from one.

Now is the time when a Players Association is required

The cricket politics of Sethi and co existed in the backroom. As long as it didnt effect the performance or the team culture, it was alright, but now the politics is also affecting the national team.

And this is happening under a set up that wont be in power after 8 months if elections are held and PTI wins. We are about to witness temporary appointments that will only hurt us in the long run.

The Afg series where the young players were thrown in and few senior players were rested on purpose, at the same time a 34 was allowed to make a come back....

Now because the stand in captain showed his support for Babar and Rizwan, there are rumors that he would be punished for this.

Another player who was about to be made captain for Pakistan team was Shaheen Afridi, but the guy, who never takes rest, decided to opt for rest, because he didnt want to take the captaincy from Babar and understood the politics that Najem Sethi and Shakeel Sheikh were playing.

Now, we have a board that is hell bent on messing with Babar. You want to remove him as captain than remove, but the politics that are being played with him and with his players is ridiculous.

A player association needs to set up that should boycott playing under this ridiculous regime.

Rameez Raja might have 100 issues, but atleast he didnt try to disunited the players

The cricket politics of Sethi and co existed in the backroom. As long as it didnt effect the performance or the team culture, it was alright, but now the politics is also affecting the national team.

And this is happening under a set up that wont be in power after 8 months if elections are held and PTI wins. We are about to witness temporary appointments that will only hurt us in the long run.

The Afg series where the young players were thrown in and few senior players were rested on purpose, at the same time a 34 was allowed to make a come back....

Now because the stand in captain showed his support for Babar and Rizwan, there are rumors that he would be punished for this.

Another player who was about to be made captain for Pakistan team was Shaheen Afridi, but the guy, who never takes rest, decided to opt for rest, because he didnt want to take the captaincy from Babar and understood the politics that Najem Sethi and Shakeel Sheikh were playing.

Now, we have a board that is hell bent on messing with Babar. You want to remove him as captain than remove, but the politics that are being played with him and with his players is ridiculous.

A player association needs to set up that should boycott playing under this ridiculous regime.

Rameez Raja might have 100 issues, but atleast he didnt try to disunited the players

One of the greatest threads in the history of this forum….

Based on absolutely ZERO evidence

According to OP

If a rubbish captain, with a rubbish home record, and a dislikable clear tactic of favouritism in selection is replaced…

It’s due to dirty politics. That’s what OP is trying to argue in this thread.

So he is trying to say

1. Babar is the perfect captain like Ponting/Morgan/Dhoni

2. Babar’s tactics and selection are perfect

And removing him is due to politics and not because he is a poor captain delivering poor results

According to OP

If a rubbish captain, with a rubbish home record, and a dislikable clear tactic of favouritism in selection is replaced…

It’s due to dirty politics. That’s what OP is trying to argue in this thread.

So he is trying to say

1. Babar is the perfect captain like Ponting/Morgan/Dhoni

2. Babar’s tactics and selection are perfect

And removing him is due to politics and not because he is a poor captain delivering poor results

If you actually read my post.

I blame babar for losing the last two world t20 as he is not a good captain. I never defended his captaincy.

However, there one cannot deny that ever since Sarfraz was captain and than when Babar became captain, the team has been united and backs each other. The trouble makers were all thrown out.

I dont have an issue with removing Babar as captain, however my issue is that they are creating an issue and situation where Babr is made to look back and why are they messing with the team unity where anyone defending his mate is being punished.

If you actually read my post.

I blame babar for losing the last two world t20 as he is not a good captain. I never defended his captaincy.

However, there one cannot deny that ever since Sarfraz was captain and than when Babar became captain, the team has been united and backs each other. The trouble makers were all thrown out.

I dont have an issue with removing Babar as captain, however my issue is that they are creating an issue and situation where Babr is made to look back and why are they messing with the team unity where anyone defending his mate is being punished.

If I become the captain of Pakistan and bring 8 of my friends into the team

Or if I buy off my entire squad with fancy restaurant outings, having the same social circles etc, we will all look very United as well.

Results won’t matter to us but we will be United.

Team Unity is useless and overrated especially if the team is losing. Players can get complacent when unchallenged and are in the team because they know they will get a long run because of being in the good books of the captain, vice captain

If I become the captain of Pakistan and bring 8 of my friends into the team

Or if I buy off my entire squad with fancy restaurant outings, having the same social circles etc, we will all look very United as well.

Results won’t matter to us but we will be United.

Similarly, you have zero proof about regular fancy restaurant outings where he ‘buys’ the squad off.

We can all have the discussion about Babar’s captaincy. I have zero issues with the fact that Pakistan has a better test captain than Babar.

I also think there are probably better white ball captains than Babar (not Imad LOL), although Babar has been an improving captain since he got the role.

But what Sethi and Shaikh are doing is bring complete instability into the squad by making wholesale, key changes on a series by series basis. That’s the sort of stuff instability that stops players from performing. No team in the world can perform if they don’t know what’s happening one series to the next.

Look, I think Sethi has done an amazing job in running the PSL. He’s also probably the PCB’s best diplomat in dealing with the Indians. But the OP is right here. He’s bringing instability into that squad with these abrupt changes on a series by series basis.

Sethi like PDM have been disastrous for Pakistan. He has no clue what he is doung, creating an unstable environment and it will only cause rifts between players.

a players association is designed to protect the professional contractural rights of the players it covers, not to dictate who does and does not play for the national team, which is in totality, at the PCB's discretion

i think people are a bit confused here what a union is, how they operate, and for what rationale. any union would not serve the Pakistani cricket team.

a strong players union in Pakistan would make it impossible for the PCB to control player workloads, and the same ppl who want a union now will be complaining about poor workload management.

whilst i am all for the right to professional unions existing, in Pakistan it would simply not work because the national team is exploiting players (pak players are played significantly less than similarly skilled foreign players) by limiting their professional earning capacity for the betterment of the national team.

a players association is designed to protect the professional contractural rights of the players it covers, not to dictate who does and does not play for the national team, which is in totality, at the PCB's discretion

i think people are a bit confused here what a union is, how they operate, and for what rationale. any union would not serve the Pakistani cricket team.

a strong players union in Pakistan would make it impossible for the PCB to control player workloads, and the same ppl who want a union now will be complaining about poor workload management.

whilst i am all for the right to professional unions existing, in Pakistan it would simply not work because the national team is exploiting players (pak players are played significantly less than similarly skilled foreign players) by limiting their professional earning capacity for the betterment of the national team.

Good post

What is being suggested by some is that ‘let’s create a players union in order to protect the friendship bonds that have been formed by the current group of players’ and let the union make sure that the PCB can’t remove/pick it’s captains or player leaders.

Absurd suggestion! Where were these kinds of suggestions when Misbah ul Haq and Waqar Younis were exploiting players and captain post 2019 World Cup??

Last edited by a moderator:
More than 90% of Pakistanis players for last 3 decades are uneducated and would not understand the meaning of a players union and what would be its role, so forget about it.

No one will have leadership qualities and would have guts to talk to PCB or ICC regarding any of their demands.

Exactly. PCB have a right to sack Babar. I would have done it after the last World Cup. Great player medioce captain.

Najam Sethi speaking in an interview:

"When I took over the responsibility just a few months ago, I have no idea about power players. If there were any such things before, I was not aware of them. However, I believe that there is no issue with power players, and it is good for the team to be united. Rumorslike power players are not true,"

Last edited by a moderator:
Back