Pakistan v England | 1st Test | Multan | October 7 to 11 | Pre-Match Discussion

BouncerGuy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
England has arrived in Pakistan with a full-strength squad for a three-match Test series, aiming to replicate their past success. Despite initial concerns over Ben Stokes' fitness, he is now fully fit and ready to lead the team.

Pakistan, coming off a 0-2 Test series loss to Bangladesh, faces an in-form England side. The first Test will be held from October 7 to 11 at Multan Cricket Stadium.

Pitch for the first test:

fSVuG10.png

What are the chances for Pakistan to win this game?

England has arrived in Pakistan with a full-strength squad for a three-match Test series, aiming to replicate their past success. Despite initial concerns over Ben Stokes' fitness, he is now fully fit and ready to lead the team.

Pakistan, coming off a 0-2 Test series loss to Bangladesh, faces an in-form England side. The first Test will be held from October 7 to 11 at Multan Cricket Stadium.

Pitch for the first test:

fSVuG10.png

What are the chances for Pakistan to win this game?
This is going to be a road as all grass will be gone by Monday - all hopes of a rank turner dissipated ! Atkinson , Potts , Bashir , Leach & Woakes as the 5th bowling option is likely to be the English attack . For Pakistan , it could be Naseem , Shaheen , Abrar , Nauman & Agha . [ if Stokes does not play , ENG look a batter short with Keeper at 5 ]

This is going to be a road as all grass will be gone by Monday - all hopes of a rank turner dissipated ! Atkinson , Potts , Bashir , Leach & Woakes as the 5th bowling option is likely to be the English attack . For Pakistan , it could be Naseem , Shaheen , Abrar , Nauman & Agha . [ if Stokes does not play , ENG look a batter short with Keeper at 5 ]
I think Pakistan will play aamer jamal if he is 100% fit.

And some bit of ... guess good news for Pakistan!

Ben Stokes has been ruled out of the 1st Test in Pakistan. Ollie Pope will captain England in his place.

Are you serious?

He ended Test cricket for Pakistan in the foreseeable future. You forgot what happened in Rawalpindi?
His personal performances were mediocre . Averaged 34 with the bat and 124 with the ball

Brook and Duckett and maybe the unknown Jaime Smith are the biggest threats for Pakistan .

His personal performances were mediocre . Averaged 34 with the bat and 124 with the ball

Brook and Duckett and maybe the unknown Jaime Smith are the biggest threats for Pakistan .
That’s besides the point, as a captain…he totally dismembered Pakistan as a Test nation.

Everyone shouldn't bet ahead of themselves. It's England half strength team. They'll still cremate pakistan into oblivion.

If pakistan gets even one win, they shpuld consider it as an achievement.

Pakistan needs to focus on decreasing the skill gap, That's what their focus shpuld be, Not focus on pitches, or injuries or doing homework on english players. Their focus should be improving their skills and learning how to play test cricket after their Bangladesh woes.

I think the series will be 2-1 either way.

England have made a very attacking selection. I posted the likely XI in the Ben Stokes thread yesterday and it was almost accurate, but ultimately they’ve gone with a second spinner instead of an extra bat.

Therefore, England could have a batting collapse but also will have loads of bowling options rotating in the extreme heat to take 20 wickets. Woakes, Leach, Bashir, Atkinson, Carse, Root, and maybe a couple from Brook as well.

Crawley returning for England is a huge boost.

England have made a very attacking selection. I posted the likely XI in the Ben Stokes thread yesterday and it was almost accurate, but ultimately they’ve gone with a second spinner instead of an extra bat.

Therefore, England could have a batting collapse but also will have loads of bowling options rotating in the extreme heat to take 20 wickets. Woakes, Leach, Bashir, Atkinson, Carse, Root, and maybe a couple from Brook as well.

Why Archer is not playing test cricket or has he give up from test cricket?

Woakes double hundred loading

Brydon Carse batting at 9

England bat pretty deep. Gus Atkinson and Woakes can clearly handle themselves with the bat too.

England's Batter Joe Root's Pre-Series Press Conference at Multan Cricket Stadium:

Regarding previous success in Pakistan

"This one, I think, is a really positive sign. So again, trying to ready ourselves for the conditions we're likely to come up against. And I mean, it sort of counts for nothing when the game starts, but it's always nice having that in the back of your mind knowing that you've had success here previously."

Thoughts on reports that Pakistan will be looking to attack with seam

"Yeah, I think you just got to ready yourself for everything, as you say. There's so much talent within their team, and they've got so much skill, and so many different options they can go to.

So, as a player, you just try and ready yourself for all the different possibilities and make sure you're in a good headspace and prepared as best you can be going into the games.

I can say we had good success here last time with a slightly different rhythm to things. So, I think it is different still. It's not conventional swing. A lot of the time, reverse swing plays a big factor.

The Kookaburra ball reacts very differently to the Duke ball, and similarly, the surfaces will have a different sort of feel to them.

So, you just got to play what's in front of you. Be adaptable. Just be ready for whatever it is that's out there when you're out there. And of course, over the five days, it could change drastically. It could be very seam-friendly the first couple of days and very quickly come into something very different."

Thoughts on the Multan pitch

"I have not seen this wicket yet, sorry. I've seen the ends, and they still look quite green. But again, that could change quite drastically over the next couple of days.

And as a player, I mean that's what you pride yourself on—being able to combat whatever it is that's in front of you.

It might be bowler-friendly, and you've got to have the skill level to be able to combat that, find ways of making runs and scoring, and putting a total on the board that's going to win you a game.

So whatever it is, we just got to be ready for it and trust our skill level and our ability as a team to go out there and exploit it with ball in hand and simply try and put pressure back on them when we can with the bat."

Aspirations for the future and Sachin's record

"I think more than anything, I think you judge yourself on how many games you can affect and how many games you can help win. So, I think that's a big driver for me—how many times I can contribute to winning games for England.

And I think if I play with that mindset, and the mindset of trying to be successful in whatever conditions are in front of you, then I think that's a good enough driver for me to keep going, want to keep enjoying it, and keep playing.

So, yes, enjoy that at the moment."

Regarding reaching milestones (Alistair Cook's record)

"The only reason that is on my mind is because people keep asking me about it, to be honest, but not really.

I see myself playing Test cricket for a lot longer.

It's not like I'm going to get to a certain mark or a number and say, 'Right, I'm done now.' I just want to keep enjoying the game, keep playing. It's a great team to play in.

We have so much fun on and off the field together. We really enjoy it. And as long as that's the feeling that I have inside, I think I'll have plenty of drive and determination to keep going. And like I say, keep trying to help England win Test matches."

Will a 0-3 result be the only acceptable one given Pakistan's recent form?

"No, we know how good Pakistan are as a team and the ability and skill level they have. I think you've got to have full respect for that. And in their own conditions, in particular, they've got a number of players that are match-winners and are capable of doing very special things in Test cricket. I think as a team, all you can do is play what's right in front of you.

You can't be looking at three Test matches ahead. So much can happen in that space of time, and the landscape could look very different in three games' time.

So, it's really important that you just focus yourself and ready yourself for that first game and the next five days that are ahead of us and make sure you put the performance in that hopefully gets you ahead in the series and, you know, go from there.

So, I don't think the focus will be on the end result, but on how we're going to get there. That's going to be the most important thing. How are we going to tackle the conditions that we're presented with? How are we going to take our 20 wickets and make those big scores that are going to put Pakistan under pressure with the bat?

So, I think that will be the main focus of the group. And clearly, if we do that well for three games, we should be in a really good spot."

Are England ready for a green-top wicket with a bowling attack that does not have Jimmy Anderson, Ollie Robinson, or Mark Wood?

"I think it's an exciting prospect, having a completely new attack. It's a great opportunity for us to grow and develop as a Test squad and to try something very different. I think for a long time before that last series here, we generally had a very similar attack in all conditions.

And for us to now have a slightly different way of looking at the game and approaching things and trying to exploit what's right in front of us is a really exciting way to look at the game. And it's a great opportunity for this group to do things differently again. And, you know, those sorts of chances and opportunities that come around really excite the group. You know, what a chance to go out here and potentially do something very special again.

We've got some very fond memories of coming here last time, and what an achievement that was. So, if we could get off to a really good start in this game, then hopefully we could build on that and take it even further."

On comparison between the two teams

"I think they're both pretty young in age, but I'd say Pakistan's attack is a lot more experienced than ours, especially in these conditions. But again, like I say, that's just a great opportunity for us as a group to go out there, and sometimes that naivety can really play into your hand and can be a real advantage.

A lot of their players won't have come across some of these bowlers before, and that can be a real plus for you as a team. I'd say they're different. I wouldn't say better or worse than each other.

It's going to be about who's going to be able to exploit what's out there, both with bat and ball, as is always the case in any Test match, but it should be a great series.

You know, look at the talent that's on show. There's some brilliant players, some real match-winners across the two teams. So it should be great fun to be a part of and great fun to watch as well."

On Multan weather

"It's nice and hot, and it beats being at home. It's freezing there. I mean, it was absolutely bouncing down with rain when we left. So, to get here to some nice hot weather has been a real joy."

Chasing Sachin Tendulkar's record:

"I think, more than anything, you judge yourself based on how many games you can affect and how many games you can win for the team. The big driver for me is how many times I can contribute to winning games for England. If with that mindset, I am trying to be successful in whatever conditions are in front of me, that is a good enough driver for me. I want to keep enjoying myself and keep playing. I look at enjoying that at the moment."

Last edited:
England's Playing XI for 1st Test

1⁠ ⁠Zak Crawley, 2⁠ ⁠Ben Duckett, 3 ⁠Ollie Pope (capt), 4⁠ ⁠Joe Root, 5⁠ ⁠Harry Brook, 6 ⁠Jamie Smith (wkt), 7⁠ ⁠Chris Woakes, 8⁠ ⁠Gus Atkinson, 9 ⁠Brydon Carse, 10⁠ ⁠Jack Leach, 11⁠ ⁠Shoaib Bashir.

Why Archer is not playing test cricket or has he give up from test cricket?

Not fit enough yet, on a managed return. Plays every other T20I or ODI at the moment and then gets rested, then comes back; etc.

Not fit enough yet, on a managed return. Plays every other T20I or ODI at the moment and then gets rested, then comes back; etc.
He's done in Test cricket. Just trying to extract as many ICC white ball tournaments as they can out of him.

England's Playing XI for 1st Test

1⁠ ⁠Zak Crawley, 2⁠ ⁠Ben Duckett, 3 ⁠Ollie Pope (capt), 4⁠ ⁠Joe Root, 5⁠ ⁠Harry Brook, 6 ⁠Jamie Smith (wkt), 7⁠ ⁠Chris Woakes, 8⁠ ⁠Gus Atkinson, 9 ⁠Brydon Carse, 10⁠ ⁠Jack Leach, 11⁠ ⁠Shoaib Bashir.
Visiting team announcing playing XI ahead of home team. Embarrassing.

The only series that Archer will be “preserved” for is the Ashes in Aus in 2025/26 — that is the only Test series that really matters to English fans.
I think he might play the odd Test next summer, but basically he will be wrapped in cotton wool until the Ashes series (as will Wood)

Jamie Smith very similar batting style to Brook
Margin for error against Brook is much smaller.

Jamie has a slightly more weighted stance with bat and he is much better set up to play on the leg side.

From what I remember , every time bowlers persisted with outswingers/away seamers from a tight line , Smith looked extremely uncomfortable and got opened up easily.

It will be really interesting to see duckett against pak on roads.he has beaten the hell out of india on flat tracks in first few matches and aswin opening the bowling did the trick for us.

Pakistan won't win, but if they wish to draw, Rizwan needs to go.

We don't a no 6 keeper who is expected to bat with the tail consistently cause collapses by giving strike to tails.

Give it to sarfi, even if he doesn't perform as well, He atleast won't cause collapses of the tail. He'll rightfully play with the tail properly.

Pakistan should try for 1-1 here. Issue will be Pakistan picking cheap 20 wickets.

Wondering why the hell is test match always starts on monday in pakistan. I mean why cant a starter of a series started on sunday? Any logic to start a test match on monday and ignore the weekend completely.

Wondering why the hell is test match always starts on monday in pakistan. I mean why cant a starter of a series started on sunday? Any logic to start a test match on monday and ignore the weekend completely.
Yah, weekened may attract some crowd.

Pakistan won't win, but if they wish to draw, Rizwan needs to go.

We don't a no 6 keeper who is expected to bat with the tail consistently cause collapses by giving strike to tails.

Give it to sarfi, even if he doesn't perform as well, He atleast won't cause collapses of the tail. He'll rightfully play with the tail properly.
Saifi himself has been batting like a tail ender lately against Pace.

images

I think this one picture is suffice for now.

Saifi himself has been batting like a tail ender lately against Pace.

images

I think this one picture is suffice for now.
Well rizwan has this series to prove me wrong

To his credit, he's made me change my mind a little bit. In that unlike the past he's actually scoring decent runs in test cricket and no one can take that away from him.

It's just dude has no idea how to bat with the tail even though he occupies a position like that whereas if you saw smith's 211 against England or Das's century agaisnt pakistan they showed how to do so.

Rizzu would have alot more of my respect if he came up at 3 or 4 and started scoring runs from their because he clearly can't bat with the tail and Agha is too fragile at no 7. As for saud, I'm quickly losing interest in him at 5

Rizzu as a no 6 needs to improve this aspect

Jimmy Anderson may have retired & Wood & Archer may be injured or not ready.

But Potts, Stone, Atkinson & Carse are no slouches. They are easily capable of destroying this Pakistan batting order. They're big lads.

Pakistan will probably play Shaheen, Naseem ahead of Mir Hamza.

I would pick

1. Saim Ayub
2. Shan Masood (C)
3. Babar Azam
4. Saud Shakeel
5. Agha Ali Salman
6. Mohammad Rizwan (WK)
7. Aamer Jamal
8. Shaheen Shah Afridi
9. Naseem Shah
10. Abrar Ahmed
11. Mir Hamza.

With Agha, Pakistan also has Saud & Saim to bowl some spin & I rather not go with Nauman.

Jimmy Anderson may have retired & Wood & Archer may be injured or not ready.

But Potts, Stone, Atkinson & Carse are no slouches. They are easily capable of destroying this Pakistan batting order. They're big lads.
At this point in time it's more like Pakistani batting that is capable of destroying itself. For the past couple years or so it has been that case. Batting completely collapses in pressure situations.

I don't think that England will have any problems without Stokes. We are hyping his absence too much.

England team does not rely on a single player. They are fine.

Also, why the hell do they start Test matches at 10:30?

Should start at 9:30 like they do here in India.

Nee ld to ensure 90 overs every day

England pacer Gus Atkinson speaking in an interview ahead of the 1st test match between Pakistan and England:

“It's obviously hotter than England here; the weather there has gotten quite bad. However, we had a good training session yesterday. We got used to the weather, and today it feels a lot easier.”

“We're just trying not to do anything different. I know that the conditions will be different, so I'll speak to people who have played here before and try to work things out. I'm not trying to do anything different. I'm just going to play my own game and do what works for me.”

“We've obviously lost a few senior players over the years and miss some players through injury, but we've got a really good bowling attack out here. We've got a lot of young bowlers who are ready to go, and, Chris Woakes has been around for a long time, so he's very experienced.”

“Pakistan has a lot of great players like Babar Azam, Mohammad Rizwan, and Shaheen Shah Afridi, so it will be a really good test for us. I haven't decided or thought about who I'm going to target. Obviously, I'll try and do as well as I can, take as many wickets, and score as many runs as I can.”

“It's great to see some Barmy Army out here. It's always great to see fans in general, and it's really exciting to be playing cricket in Pakistan. I've only been here once before for the PSL for two weeks, but no, it's really exciting, and I'm happy to be here.”

An important test for Woakes who has been terrible away from home. Carse looked very good vs Australia in the ODI series, his test debut was expected.

Pakistan has announced the Playing XI for the first Test match against England:

Abdullah Shafique
Saim Ayub
Shan Masood
Babar Azam
Saud Shakeel
Mohammad Rizwan
Salman Ali Agha
Aamer Jamal
Shaheen Afridi
Naseem Shah
Abrar Ahmed

Last edited:

Abdullah Shafique
Saim Ayub
Shan Masood
Babar Azam
Saud Shakeel
Mohammad Rizwan
Salman Ali Agha
Aamer Jamal
Shaheen Afridi
Naseem Shah
Abrar Ahmed
It's the best possible combo they could go with but that's the problem?

The squad is so crap

Abdullah Shafique
Saim Ayub
Shan Masood
Babar Azam
Saud Shakeel
Mohammad Rizwan
Salman Ali Agha
Aamer Jamal
Shaheen Afridi
Naseem Shah
Abrar Ahmed
As expected. I hope Abrar does perform. Pakistan really need him to deliver.

Pakistan will probably play Shaheen, Naseem ahead of Mir Hamza.

I would pick

1. Saim Ayub
2. Shan Masood (C)
3. Babar Azam
4. Saud Shakeel
5. Agha Ali Salman
6. Mohammad Rizwan (WK)
7. Aamer Jamal
8. Shaheen Shah Afridi
9. Naseem Shah
10. Abrar Ahmed
11. Mir Hamza.

With Agha, Pakistan also has Saud & Saim to bowl some spin & I rather not go with Nauman.
good team but will PAK have the courage to play 5 decent bowling options ....

Abdullah Shafique
Saim Ayub
Shan Masood
Babar Azam
Saud Shakeel
Mohammad Rizwan
Salman Ali Agha
Aamer Jamal
Shaheen Afridi
Naseem Shah
Abrar Ahmed
Hope Jamal is fit enough to play as a third seamer. Naseem & Shaheen already have dodgy fitness.

Just feel jack Leach is over rated....can't remember the last time he won a test for them England.
the two young guys basher and Ahmed are much better.

Clearly England have seen something Pakistan has not by playing 2 spinners

Abdullah Shafique
Saim Ayub
Shan Masood
Babar Azam
Saud Shakeel
Mohammad Rizwan
Salman Ali Agha
Aamer Jamal
Shaheen Afridi
Naseem Shah
Abrar Ahmed
Goodness. This team struggles to take 20 wickets and they have gone in with 1 less bowler ?

Very defensive decision.

THe bowling attack tells me its a flat 500 par score phatta

England will decimate this pathetic bowling attack

Back