Pakistan v England | T20 World Cup | The Oval | 07/06/09 | Pak Innings

first of all ...yasir arafat doesnt make sense....sure he knows the condition in England since he plays county..but Rao is a good economical bowler...

mooz said:
MoYo is not T20 material

Kallis was a Test Player of T20 and now look at his batting..surpassed Smith today.. if you dont give MoYo a chance how will you know he is T20 material or not...

Sparhawk said:
48 runs is the margin... i think we can do this but the bowlers will have to bowl out of their skins.
What's the point if the batsmen can't score when every other team has put a decent score in last week. Pakistan none.

Hasan said:
i thought the same when the catches were being dropped. These boys have been out in the field practising for so long they just do not have the energy in the match.

lol.

yes overcoaching has done the trick!

that was one of the most pathetic performances ever by any pakistani side.

Sad performance. The fielding was laughable. Butt needs to go. He looks totally uninterested in the field. Afridi's batting has become a joke. I think we are out of the tournament and even beating Netherlands won't be easy. Looking to the future Shehzad and Amir show promise.

b0wld said:
Kallis was a Test Player of T20 and now look at his batting..surpassed Smith today.. if you dont give MoYo a chance how will you know he is T20 material or not...

I didn't follow the ICL at all but did MoYo do any thing noteworthy in the ICL?

stop criticising younis khan and the players...

our lack of international cricket - our stupid management and corrupt pcb coupled with inept first class system is the root couse of our problems...we are just simply not good enough...coleectively and individually...

Unbelievable unprofessional performance , they should pack their bags and go home. Just concede match to netherlands as they don't deserve to go through to the next stage.

Whether it was lack of practice as they have'nt played international cricket for 18 months or poor attitude, this was pathetic. No fight at all, butt, shezad, malik and younis played as if they we playing 50 over match .

I am just shell shocked. Heads should roll for sure..

and what if the match is reduced to 5 overs per side???? would pak still need to beat holland by 52 runs????? :13:

So England beat Pakistan, Windies beat Australia but lost to England... who lost to Holland.

So Holland are better than England, Australia, Pakistan and the West Indies.

icl players could not have been picked for this tournament...moyo, rana, nazir etc...none of them could have been included...so lets get over it.

can any pakistani hit a good six?? if it rains on tuesday we are out! younis with a very poor decision too bowl first on a flat pitch

adilmomin said:
i think yk sucks as a captain, all talk, imitate imran khan, please be dropped.

yeah it is exactly his fault that he was the only batsmen in the team to score at a strike of about 140
it is his fault shahid afridi is friggin blind and cant touch a single ball
it is his fault salman butt and yasir arafat and aeed ajmal and dropping lollypops
it is his fault for all the free hits we gave
and it is his fault we dont have good new ball bowlers

i think just blame it all on the captain like always

I dont know why everyone here is blaming Pakistan. You should credit to England for a good display of bowling. Their bowling was top class, no wonder Pakistani batsmen couldnt play. If they were spraying balls and everything on the pads I am sure Pakistan would have scored more.

I am justing watching sky sports and ian ward has confirmed that England have qualified for the next stage as they have walloped pakistan by 48 runs. Their net run nate is something like 1.13, we need to beat netherlands by huge margin if we are to qualify for next round.

I think pakistan team is going home.

agreed... should have batted first and put pressure... and imo batting fearlessly just doesn't work in t20..... got to play your shots... over caution is suicidal in this format.....

*sallu* said:
yeah it is exactly his fault that he was the only batsmen in the team to score at a strike of about 140
it is his fault shahid afridi is friggin blind and cant touch a single ball
it is his fault salman butt and yasir arafat and aeed ajmal and dropping lollypops
it is his fault for all the free hits we gave
and it is his fault we dont have good new ball bowlers

i think just blame it all on the captain like always

Not that he is the only one to blame, but he did chose to bat first. He played through the innings with no urgency. He did chose the side and he chose the batting and bowling order. he has a lot to answer for in this game( as does pretty much every player)

Billy said:
So England beat Pakistan, Windies beat Australia but lost to England... who lost to Holland.

So Holland are better than England, Australia, Pakistan and the West Indies.

Bang on ............LOL

since 2002 world cup Pakistan team has fired in one major tournament and failed in the rest.. pretty embarassing really and we still seem to think we have some god given right to humiliate teams.. Pakistan team is now a laughing stock

whats with Wasim saying the same thing again and again. I much prefer Waqar's commentary over Wasim's.

madaboutlfc said:
since 2002 world cup Pakistan team has fired in one major tournament and failed in the rest.. pretty embarassing really and we still seem to think we have some god given right to humiliate teams.. Pakistan team is now a laughing stock

Are u thinking of the 1999 world cup?

I am shocked at the way Pakistan played today.

People have criticised England and many of its supporters for not treating this competition seriously. However Pakistan have looked utterly passionless. Not just today, but during the warm-ups as well. The worst thing about their performance today was not just the pitiful fielding and the fact that their innings never really got going. The latter could (arguably) be put down to England's bowling. What really shocked and amazed me was the fact that once the game was gone, no effort whatsoever was made to improve the run rate. Didn't they realise that even when the situation was hopeless every run could still prove to be vital?

Whilst anything can happen in this format and there's no shame in losing, Pakistan fans have every right to be angry with their team at the manner of this defeat.

saqlain said:
I dont know why everyone here is blaming Pakistan. You should credit to England for a good display of bowling. Their bowling was top class, no wonder Pakistani batsmen couldnt play. If they were spraying balls and everything on the pads I am sure Pakistan would have scored more.

Saqlain i don't how much cricket you have watched in your life but brother you show that you have'nt.

Pakistan's pathetic performance made england look great, please please please stop giving england too much credit. England played well but their cricket was'nt top class. Pakistan hit their first six when misbah came to bat in the 16th over !!!! can you believe this is a pakistani team we have been watching and following over the years. Pakistani and not a single six in the first few overs ???. That shows every player is badly out of touch.

Younis khan made the right moves as a captain with the bowling changes. The only mistake he made was giving arafat to bowl the opening overs and that give england to build momentum which they carried through to give them competitive total. We dropped 5/6 catches, gul, arafat, butt , ajmal and someone else all were guilty in dropping catches. Gul and arafat misfielded and conceded boundaries.

I am just watching after match highlights which are being discussed by ian ward and ian botham. They are showing the misfields, catches dropped and our pathtic batting display.

Really i am lost for words, okay fair enough we lack practice as we have missed international cricket but there was no desire to win no passion no guts, all cowardly.

We don't deserve to go through to the next stage.

A very lousy performance by Pakistan. To be honest the way the players have been performing this year, I know they won't be in the super 8 for sure this year. I don't know why they don't learn from their mistakes, look at England after Netherlands, they pulled back really well. I think they really lack proper coaching, why don't they ever get their tactics right, if Salman comes as an opener, he should give a decent run rate in the beginning just like England did and not put pressure on the other batsmen. They couldn't hit any proper 6's, it looks like as if they were paid. They give up so easily, you would think the way the world (no countries mentioned) have gone to get cricket out of Pakistan, they should do more to prove themselves but no they are doing the complete opposite. There is no way they will beat Netherlands, if you saw their last performance, they were excellent. What really surprises me is that India got the easiest countries to bat against! as if they have to get to the final. I just hope that Pakistan are given some proper coaching and learn from their mistakes, otherwise they will soon become none existent.

I gave up a good game of golf to watch the match. Ok, it was raining but it still was a bit of a sacrifice!
Was genuinely supporting Pakistan - wanted them to win over the English. Unfortunately they were seriously pathetic. I think they lost it in the field when bowling - dolly catches dropped, no urgency and no passion. How can they not have passion? YK never looks concerned about anything, no pressure look about him all the time. Then he walks off looking like he has just hit a century in an easy win. What is with that ??!!!

We have pie-chuckers...our opening bowling is the worst....we have ppl bowling medium-pace with absolutely no movement, swing, yorkers etc...What are the selectors playing at?!!?

And the fact that we wasted the 1st 6 ovrs-which was our only REAL chance to bring the run-rate down and at least give us hope to comeback into the match, just goes to show the aboslutely pathetic excuse we have of not only a cricket side but the board as well..

im disappointed but oh well **** happens..we got chance to beat men in orange..is any one good at maths..wots the margin we need to beat them by.. i assume it would quite challenging it self.. another thing i got feeling this match was fixed..lol wot u lot think..we made sure we lost n eng goes through..(no im not related to sarfraz nawaz,,Mr consperiest.)

iafzal said:
so Pak will need to win by 52 runs in a 20 overs game against Holland to qualify for the next round.

I don't see that happening as this team is not capable to score above 150 in the form they are

Are you sure we need to win by 52 runs to qualify for next stage ?

Honestly i am shell shocked. All comentators are too be it nasser hussain, ian ward, nick knight, ian bishop and our own wasim akram are shocked by the lack of fight by pakistan.

Younis khan has failed as a captain overall so far. I still believe in him as a captain but some of team selections have really hurt our chances.

And please some people stop saying that we missed yousuf, razzak, rana, nazir e.t.c. Yousuf first of al is not a T20 player just like salman butt, ahmed shazad and younis khan. The others who missed out being selected razzak, nazir and rana we just unlucky. Had they been released in time from ICL they could have been eligible. Then we were unlucky that nasir jamshed was'nt selected as he ws injured. By the time jamshed had recovered from injury and was back in form in the practice matches and national T20 competition it was too late for him to make comeback in the side as PCB had already submitted 15 player squad to ICC.

What is really going to be one of the hot topics being hit at younis and the team management after this defeat is the non-selection of fawad alam in the playing eleven.

One thing is for sure after pakistan's exit from ICC World T20 2009 is that younis khan must not captain a Pakistan T20 side. Cause although he is a good captain overall but he in unsuitable for T20 format. In his place either afridi or misbah should be selected as our T20 team captain for future.

Last edited:
knz68 said:
A very lousy performance by Pakistan. To be honest the way the players have been performing this year, I know they won't be in the super 8 for sure this year. I don't know why they don't learn from their mistakes, look at England after Netherlands, they pulled back really well. I think they really lack proper coaching, why don't they ever get their tactics right, if Salman comes as an opener, he should give a decent run rate in the beginning just like England did and not put pressure on the other batsmen. They couldn't hit any proper 6's, it looks like as if they were paid. They give up so easily, you would think the way the world (no countries mentioned) have gone to get cricket out of Pakistan, they should do more to prove themselves but no they are doing the complete opposite. There is no way they will beat Netherlands, if you saw their last performance, they were excellent. What really surprises me is that India got the easiest countries to bat against! as if they have to get to the final. I just hope that Pakistan are given some proper coaching and learn from their mistakes, otherwise they will soon become none existent.

If you think netherlands and england are difficult ...........then.......

knz68 said:
india also have a damn tough super 8 group

I reckon MoYo would have been our hero!! for all those who say he isnt a T20 player well i think 2days performance shows you need sum1 who can keep their wicket and not just try and put bat to ball.

i mean seriously compare butt and yusuf...both love to play shots along the ground except Butt doesnt take singles and cant pierce the field and MoYo can pierce fields in his sleep..so how the hell is MoYo not a T20 player yet BUTT IS!?!!?!?!

lumber121 said:
im disappointed but oh well **** happens..we got chance to beat men in orange..is any one good at maths..wots the margin we need to beat them by.. i assume it would quite challenging it self.. another thing i got feeling this match was fixed..lol wot u lot think..we made sure we lost n eng goes through..(no im not related to sarfraz nawaz,,Mr consperiest.)

You know this sort of thing does'nt happen anymore and i really don't believe match fixing exists but the way this match was approached it does raise eyebrows. But i believe it has more to do with lack of international cricket to be honest.

But it was shocking ,this was a bit unbelievable the way pakistan approached this match. I was shocked as i watched match with my uncle and even he was very dissappointed. I could see pakistan's defeat on the wall when we were on 37/1 after 5 overs. They failed to build momentum right from the start and the **** flowed right through the 20 overs.

England batted aggressively right from the start and the momentum was carried through. Gul, afridi and ajmal bowled really well and were the ones responsible for pulling england back from 200. Aamer started brilliantly with a wicket in his opening bowler but the inexperience at this level caught up with him. He should have changed his pace and tried bowling some yorkers and inswingers too.

Okay so we have last chance, this is the playing eleven we need for next match i believe ;

PAKISTAN XI

AKMAL
SHAHZAIB
YOUNIS (IDEALLY I WOULD'NT SELECT BUT WE HAVE NO CHOICE NOW !)
MISBAH
MALIK
AFRIDI
FAWAD
TANVIR
GUL
AAMER
AJMAL

Before this tornament started the pakistan team i wanted to see was the one including arafat and fawad in playing eleven. Arafat's performance was far from convincing, he help build england's momentum giving 37 runs in his 3 overs as opening spell. Dropped a catch and misfielded to concede a boundary. What happened to his experience of playing county cricket ?..experience of english conditions.. ha ha ah he was proved me wrong. I had belief in him but sorrry in my view he does'nt even merit a water boy's position for next match against netherland.

Seriously we need waqsr younis as a bowling coach plus a top australian or south african fielding coach. We need to sack intikhab alam and PCB MUST BE OVERHAULED STRAIGHTAWAY ENOUGH IS ENOUGH !

Last edited:
I have just got back from the Oval. but what a waste of time that was. What really concerned was not the defeat itself (20-20 does require some luck), it was the way Pakistan lost - there seem to be no fighting spirit there. They seem to just buckle under pressure very easily.
England fielded brilliant, But i won't even go though Pakistan's.
Afridi has gone past his prime- he can't even hit bowlers with pace, and trust me even bowlers like Luke Wright was bowling at very good pace. The other thing i noticed England seemed to have was very good plans for all the Pak players like Akmal for instance - He was given hardly anything to drive at. Pakistan on the other hand seemed to have no planning for England players (i.e. why was K.P not given any fast bouncers on a pacey pitch ?)

Overall i feel the axe needs to fall on the coach and management because of the very poor planning. I question why Arafat opens the bowling (he hardly swings it) - at least Tanvir could swing it. But worst of all the batting line up does not look right - why on earth leave Misbah so late ?? he needs to come at 3 or 4 because you need players in the middle that don't crumble under pressure.

Back