Pakistan v Sri Lanka| World T20 | Lords |12/6/09

30 to win off 6 balls.

Pakistan clueless no plan batting has cost them here!

watch the indian supporters celebrating out loss....come on west indies!!!

adilmomin said:
tanvir allrounder? afridi allrounder? only all rounder in pak today was malik

you forget the roundest of them all, MR Butt. :butt

now what do you expect fawad to do, i mean pakistan what are you doing? always making hard for yourselfs, now it going to be tough to get through beat NZ :0 i dont see it happenin.

i said " afridi wouldnt last 6 balls"....that was 5 balls too many :)))....seriously though his attitude was appaling he could have given younis the strike

butt and tanvir were the culprits...and afridi batting at 6 means we only really playing 5 batsmen!

hasanb said:
watch the indian supporters celebrating out loss....come on west indies!!!
Dude, take it easy ... they are just having fun when the cameras roll towards them ...

I am sure we root for SLand would probably want them to win but none of us (atleast most of us on this board) would celebrate a Pak defeat mate ...

Congrats Sri lanka on a convincing win.

You can see why they are one of the Favs to win this tourney!

and the extras have seemed to have helped sri lanka will...thats what made the difference. Tanvir and Butt in particular...totally useless

i wonder how the fans will defend these morons now?

Inswinging Yorker said:
hey that total was gettable but pak batted like retards with no planning.

misbah killed the hard work younis did

Reading Press Trust of India a lot these days, are we?

what on earth was misbah doing out there...? that was pathetic younis was at the very least taking singles and twos and scoring with every ball and then hitting the odd boundary here and there...which is how it should be.

Crappy bowling by tanvir also cost us if he had given away 10 rund from his 2 overs instead of the 29 that he did this game would be a tie.

Tanvir and Butt have to go.
I don't know what the point of Fawad at 7 is. He's not a slogger.
Open with Malik and Akmal, then Younis, Misbah and Fawad to follow. Razzaq at 6 for his quick batting. At number 7, we need a pinch hitter. I don't know who, but it needs to be someone who can score 20 runs in 10 balls. Afridi at 8, he's can't be relied on at 6 anymore, then Gul, Aamir, Ajmal.

Our team composition is all wrong. Our ODI composition isn't going to work in T20, the maximum score this batting lineup is capable of against a decent bowling attack is around 150, which is not nearly enough if we ever come against South Africa or India.

I dont think it was a bad game for us honestly. We fought, and we lost. Tanvir screwed up things, and I think that, combined with the run out of Kamran Akmal cost us the match. But not a bad performance from pak

Amjid Javed said:
Congrats Sri lanka on a convincing win.

You can see why they are one of the Favs to win this tourney!

actually not really...

not sour grapes here...but after their top 4 they are having nothing to offer in the batting department....other sides will take a lot of heart from their performance today...

whereas for pakistan, yk has proved that he is the only worldclass batsman in the lineup and that tanvir and butt should be no where near the side...

i would drop them both, bring back shezad to open with akmal and have fawad at number 3 with malik, razaq and afridi as the floating 6 7 and 8..

1)When every quality team in this tournament is trying to make a statement by going after the bowling in the initial overs ( Redmond / Jayasuriya / Gautam/ Rohit/ Gayle/Smith )- what is Pakistan's game plan ?

2) Will they now admit that they do not have the hitting power compared to NZ , South Africa , SL , India , WI ..even England ?

3) With Pakistan's exit almost a certainty now with NZ playing amazing T20 Cricket - What are Younis's long term plan ? Is a change of personnel on the cards ?

Last edited:
Don't blame Misbah for this...the game plan of not taking risks against the two Ms was correct. That is why Pakistan got this close. Unfortunately Misbah got out trying to look for a big shot. Had it clicked you guys would have been gaga over his approach of taking calculated risks..

That is how the game goes...you take risks - it works somedays and it doesnt some days..

saqeeb90 said:
so what is runrate now?
when is pak playing against newzeland..
Basically we are out unless New Zealand get beat by Sri Lanka. The thumping they gave to Ireland ensures that whatever NRR Pakistan end up with, NZ's will always be better (I dont expect NZ to get thumped by either Pakistan or Sri Lanka, so an alarming drop is highly unlikely)

(sarcasm)----Heres the plan guys, Malik is going to be the scapegoat for Pakistans loss today aswell, we will all just ignore Misbahs painstaking innings on the knowledge that he is somehow "Pakistans best twenty20 batsman" despite never getting us home in one T20 inernational, cough, cough..India..We shall also ignore Tanvirs mediocre bowling and that waste of space Butt......(laughs)

Instead of blaming bowlers, may be batsmen should accept responsibilities and explain why all the poor performance in spite of reasonable target.

Shahid Khan Afridi, Salman Butt, Misbah have performed miserably.

Younus, Malik has done little better to provide little hope for team.

Fawad has had a chance to prove but he is unlikely to remain in the team for the next match even though it is not his fault.

Shadow said:
Tomorrow. arghhhh if butt plays agen im gna go crazy !!!! :69:
I can pretty much guarantee that Butt and Tanvir will not play. Younis was really livid at those 2.

Wont blame misbah - needed a big over for us.

Wont blame Akmal - touch and go run out

But hearing that Tanvir got spanked, I'm wondering was he still injured?

Harsh on Fawad, left with much to do, but he really should have tried to play toowards off, did try and improvise one shot though.

Pak batting need to learn to improvise in the last few overs to get runs - REMEMBER misbah at the last 20/20!

Butt is seriously out of form - Replace him with Shezad OR Razzaq.

And Afridi just sums up Pakistan since I've watched them as a kid:

Brilliant one minute (Bowling) Dire the next (Golden Duck) - Chucked his bat down with disgust - Maybe he's worried about Family back in Pak?

Need to win well against Ireland, because NZ will be a tough
tough match.

Oh and the obvious thing in case you missed it:

WELL DONE SRI LANKA - Malinga was OUTSTANDING - Yorkers + Slower deliveries esp. slow bouncer!!!

Last edited:
Usman Chadda said:
Basically we are out unless New Zealand get beat by Sri Lanka. The thumping they gave to Ireland ensures that whatever NRR Pakistan end up with, NZ's will always be better (I dont expect NZ to get thumped by either Pakistan or Sri Lanka, so an alarming drop is highly unlikely)

You are right for the most part. We need to give Ireland an equally big thumping (still a big ask from our standards). But I expect NZ to struggle against SL.

So all is not over yet

ahmed16 said:
(sarcasm)----Heres the plan guys, Malik is going to be the scapegoat for Pakistans loss today aswell, we will all just ignore Misbahs painstaking innings on the knowledge that he is somehow "Pakistans best twenty20 batsman" despite never getting us home in one T20 inernational, cough, cough..India..We shall also ignore Tanvirs mediocre bowling and that waste of space Butt......(laughs)

I am sure he will throw Tanvir under the bus along with Malik. After all neither were able to complete their quota of 4 overs and neither took a wicket.

dani2k said:
Don't blame Misbah for this...the game plan of not taking risks against the two Ms was correct. That is why Pakistan got this close. Unfortunately Misbah got out trying to look for a big shot. Had it clicked you guys would have been gaga over his approach of taking calculated risks..

That is how the game goes...you take risks - it works somedays and it doesnt some days..

agrree but he should have started hitting like younis and odd hitting now and then but he didnt hit anything, when he tried boom he goes,

and afridi i swear he is on crack dude i would have thrown a chappal or a tomatoe @ him

dani2k said:

dont blame misbah at all...it has to be a risk free period for us otherwise we could have been 4 or 5 down and game over...

i blame tanvir and butt as the main culprits..maliks shot was extremely bad too...but that happens...

also, i dont recall pakistan ever having a free hit whereas they give away atleast two in each game they have played

Pakistan are playing like minnows. They've lost to every major cricket team (inc warmups) in this tournament and only one win against Netherlands. Thats usually how a minnow plays. Idiots.

Inswinger said:
I can pretty much guarantee that Butt and Tanvir will not play. Younis was really livid at those 2.

Given the mental idi-ocy the team management enjoys, I guess Fawad Alam will be dropped for Razzaq while we will keep licking the crooked a*s of Tanvir and Butt

SAM'S said:
we need Abdul Razzaq at death and send Afridi to open, he is useless down the order.
So he won't be useless as an opener? He should only be in the team for his bowling. We keep banking on past reputation (which is also why Salman and Tanvir were in the team today).

Pakistan gave 20 extras away and lost by 19 runs.

The moral: Tanvir is ****

mooz said:
I am sure he will throw Tanvir under the bus along with Malik. After all neither were able to complete their quota of 4 overs and neither took a wicket.

I don't understand. There is no point to blame on bowlers after the reasonable target 150 which is easily can be done.

Batsmen have done poor job. Malik started off great start but one poor shot has cost him in the game. Other than Younus, almost every batsmen have failed including Shahid Khan Afridi who was gone on duck especially in the first ball.

Are you trying to excuse them to simply blame on Malik and Tanveer? That is pathetic.

shehzad for butt and razzaq for tanvir...i think thats what theyll do for tomorrow.

so basically
it all goes with pak vs newzeland game,
if newzeland wins against pak, pak are out because they won't be serious against srilanka
if pak wins this,
newzeland will beat srilanka for sure
so newzeland is already in for semi final because of awesome run rate..

mooz said:
Malik bowled 2 overs and gave up only 5 runs. It was Younis' decision to let him bowl only 2.

IMMY69 said:
dont blame misbah at all...it has to be a risk free period for us otherwise we could have been 4 or 5 down and game over...

i blame tanvir and butt as the main culprits..maliks shot was extremely bad too...but that happens...

also, i dont recall pakistan ever having a free hit whereas they give away atleast two in each game they have played

Look you can't play almost 5 overs by yourself without scoring a boundary and expect Alam, Afridi et al to make up for your inadequacies. Misbah was 19 of 21 balls, those last 7 balls were excruciating to watch because I knew he will get out as soon as he tries to make some runs.

Inswinger said:
Malik bowled 2 overs and gave up only 5 runs. It was Younis' decision to let him bowl only 2.

yeah I know, I am being facetious.

mooz said:
Look you can't play almost 5 overs by yourself without scoring a boundary and expect Alam, Afridi et al to make up for your inadequacies. Misbah was 19 of 21 balls, those last 7 balls were excruciating to watch because I knew he will get out as soon as he tries to make some runs.

i didnt expect alam and afridi to make up for it..i expected butt to do much better and i didnt excpect tanvir to bowl rubbish...anyone could see that just before misbah got out the game could have gone either way and that looked a long way off when they were 30 odd for 3...

what really cost the game is Extras. you cant afford to give 20 odd extras in a T20 innings. The biggest culprit, Sohail Tanvir has to go. Replace him with Abdul Razzaq and replace Butts with Shahzaib Hasan.

Let Akmal and Malik open. Followed by Abdul razzaq, YK, Misbah Fawad. Put Shahzaib Hasan at 7 and then the bowlers. Gul at 8, Afridi at 9, at aamir ajmal can take the last two positions.

What u guys think

saqeeb90 said:
so basically
it all goes with pak vs newzeland game,
if newzeland wins against pak, pak are out because they won't be serious against srilanka
if pak wins this,
newzeland will beat srilanka for sure
so newzeland is already in for semi final because of awesome run rate..

I hope NZ put us out of our misery tomorrow. We need to go home and start from scratch.

the team i would go for the NZL game is

Shehzad
Akmal
Malik
Younis
Misbah
Fawad
Afridi
Razzaq
Gul
Ajmal
Amir

Well quite a poor batting display by Pakistan, but full credit to Sri Lanka they bowled tightly and fielded well which just shows that with pressure even 150 is very defendable.

For Pakistan, losses to India, South Africa, England and now Sri Lanka on this tour so far. Only one win against Netherlands. We should consider ourselves lucky that we can still get into the semi's with two wins against NZ and Ireland. I find that quite funny actually.

I don't understand the role of Fawad in this squad. He doesn't bowl and clearly isn't a power hitter to be selected just as a batsmen, in the lower order. It would have been better playing another proper batsmen up the order. Squad changes should be Tanvir out for Razzaq, and Fawad out for any batsmen really.

Equation for Pakistan is pretty straight forward. 2 games left, 2 wins required. Lets see what happens.

Somebody tell me how many more ducks do they need in order to drop Butt?????!!! :mad:
The bowling was still good except for Tanvir's stint..The rest bowled really well to restrict them to 150 runs..
150 is a gettable score in T20..But it seemed as though Pak went for the chase without any planning at all!!!What were they thinking?? Keep it to singles and keep wickets in hand for Afridi and Fawad to go all guns firing in the end??!
Pakistan did not plan their chase well (if they planned it at all)..

Man of the match award should be given to Sohail Tanvir.

IMMY69 said:
i didnt expect alam and afridi to make up for it..i expected butt to do much better and i didnt excpect tanvir to bowl rubbish...anyone could see that just before misbah got out the game could have gone either way and that looked a long way off when they were 30 odd for 3...

Like i said, I didn't have a problem with his first 21 balls or so. Sure I would have liked him to keep pace with YK, but whatever we were still not out of it. Its the last few balls he faced that settled this game in SL's favor IMHO.

Our bowling is fantatrisc, it actually controls the runs....but seems our batsmen can only make 130.

It was evdent Pakistan didnt plan that chase....they were too impressed with themslves after restricting S Lanka to 150. Self loving cuteh, deserve to be shot, the whole lot of them.

Congrats to S lanka though, on bowling well...and in the end batting aswell.

Amir said:
Our bowling is fantatrisc, it actually controls the runs....but seems our batsmen can only make 130.

you mean our spin bowling.

mooz said:
Like i said, I didn't have a problem with his first 21 balls or so. Sure I would have liked him to keep pace with YK, but whatever we were still not out of it. Its the last few balls he faced that settled this game in SL's favor IMHO.

urmm my friend anyone who knows a bit about cricket will tell you that we lost the game because tanvir bowled like a donkey, gave away too many extras and were 0-1 in a 20 over game...after that it was always an uphill climb - especially on a wicket that finally offered something to the pacers as well as the spinners...

confused guys...

if pak wins agianst newzeland, and against ireland
they will have 2 wins and 1 lost...
if newzeland win against pak and loose against srilanka ( 2 wins and 1ost)..
if srilanka won against new so they are in automatically
and by looking at run rate b.w pak vs new newzeland is in...

so lets say pak wins ?
who should win match b.w new vs srilanka?
if pak lost then do they still have a chance?

Pkaistan Wont Go In Sami Final And Thay Not A Class Them At The Momant Pakistan The Class Are Like Irland-kenia-nedrland-scotlaland-bangladash-zambawa-china-uae- Pakistan Only Can Win With Those Team Untel Pakistan
Bring Right Slacter Right Bord Member And Desver Player In The TEAM And Coch
From (south Afreca ) Oneday And Test Cricketer Only Play This To Event And T20 Team Have To Be Defrant Player Whom Thay Know Only About T20 Cricket Think What I Am Saying Pakistan Bye Bye

Last edited:
genius idea:

flip the batting order upside down ;-)

our tail enders can at least clear the inner ring which will take advantage of the fielding restrictions at the beginning and then the rest of our delightful squad can play their beloved tik tak cricket for the final 14 overs

mehwishkh said:
Pkaistan Wont Go In Sami Final And Thay Not A Class Them At The Momant Pakistan The Class Are Like Irland-kenia-nedrland-scotlaland-bangladash-zambawa-china-uae- Pakistan Only Can Win With Those Team Untel Pakistan
Bring Right Slacter Right Bord Member And Desver Player In The The And Coch
From (south Afreca ) Oneday And Test Cricketer Only Play This To Event And T20 Team Have To Be Defrant Player Whom Thay Know Only About T20 Cricket Think What I Am Saying Pakistan Bye Bye
Exactly.

IMMY69 said:
urmm my friend anyone who knows a bit about cricket will tell you that we lost the game because tanvir bowled like a donkey, gave away too many extras and were 0-1 in a 20 over game...after that it was always an uphill climb - especially on a wicket that finally offered something to the pacers as well as the spinners...

Ok dude, lets put it this way. Would you have taken a target of 151 at the beginning of the day for Pakistan to chase? I would have. yeah Tanvir didn't help, but with 10 overs to go in our innings, we were well placed to win this game.

Back