Pakistani film 'Waar'

Maula Jutt

ODI Debutant
Runs
Warner Bros.’ to release Bilal Lashari’s Film ‘Waar’ in Summer 2011

Earlier in 2010, we reported that Hollywood producers are auditioning for film actors in Islamabad for a high-profile Hollywood/Lollywood collaborative project. The director of the project, Bilal Lashari has shot his first full-length feature film called Waar, in collaboration with ISPR. The film has been produced by MindWorks Media with Hunt Lowry, producer of “Donnie Darko” and Warner Bros.’s smash hit “A Walk to Remember” and numerous other well known films.

Waar-Behind-The-Scenes-4-300x199.jpg

Waar (to strike) is an action/thriller and drama film, written by Hassan Waqas Rana and stars Pakistan’s finest actors, Shaan Shahid and Shamoon Abbasi, otherwise the rest of the cast are brand new actors. The storyline has been inspired by the war on terror in Pakistan and its effects on the world but with a very stylised interpretation of it. There have been many Hollywood movies which have dealt with the same issue including Syriana (2005) and A Mighty Heart (2007), but most of them failed to portray the situation properly except for Syriana which received generally positive reviews.

The English-language film (Waar) has been shot at various locations in and outside of Pakistan, from the beautiful hills of Islamabad to the second best tourist destination in Pakistan, Lahore to the fascinating valley of Swat (the Switzerland of Pakistan) in the Northern Areas of Pakistan, where a major military operation was launched two years ago. But most of the scenes and script are based around locations in Islamabad. Some parts of the film have also been shot in Istanbul, Turkey.

As reported earlier, the soundtrack of this one of it’s kind film has been done by Qayaas. “Inquilaab, Khayaal and Pal are part of the soundtrack,” says Khurram Waqar, the lead guitarist of the band. The presence of Qayaas in the film makes the project sound even more interesting.

According to IMDB, the estimated film budget is $2,000,000 (PKR 170M or 17 Crores). The film being produced by one of the major film studios in America, Warner Bros, will be first screened at some major international film festivals and after its successful screening at the festivals, it will be released worldwide. Mindworks Media‘s Dr. Hassan is ramping up several other film projects and has big plans of restarting the film scene in Pakistan.

The 140 min feature film is currently in it’s post-production stage. Waar is expected to have a summer release.

http://www.koolmuzone.com/2011/03/w...feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+kmpics+(KM+Blog+Pics)

For pictures of the shoot, click here.

Will this be the breakout movie that Lollywood needs? :D

hopefully this will be a good movie!

I've heard the name Bilal Lashari before, who is this dude?

^ directed music videos like shor macha

and this year , i pray , is the year that turns around everything for Lollywood PLEASE GOD

some really good movies coming out
Bol
Waar
Kolachi
Tamanna

:D

Last edited:
No promos out yet ? :O

and lol Rehman Malik is going to be a fillum sataar :))

and if Lashari can get WB to release his first feature film then why the heck Saqib Malik and Jami cannot ?

Last edited:
in collaboration with ISPR
For those that don't know, ISPR is Inter Services Public Relations, which works as sort of a PR wing for the Pakistan Armed Forces. They've been behind productions such as Alpha Bravo Charlie, Sunehre Din, the Nishan-e-Haider series, etc.

As the military PR guys, it's their job to make the Army seem like a 'cool' place to go for young men. In other words, their productions are meant to be recruiting tools.

Will be interesting to see what this movie's about, how it's treated.

Pakistan wont have a healthy film industry as long as the consumers are hooked on to Bollywood.

i just googled this film and take a look at GEO's headline

Warner Bros. to release Pakistan’s first film ‘Waar’ :facepalm

Pakistan wont have a healthy film industry as long as the consumers are hooked on to Bollywood.

not true at all, problem is lack of quality films made at home, not competition with Bollywood.

Bro , there was a time when Pakistanis were also hooked on to Indian dramas but guess what ? people are coming back to or have already come back to Pakistani dramas . Indian style is to be cheesy about everything and totally overdo it . We keep it more realistic . :afridi

not true at all, problem is lack of quality films made at home, not competition with Bollywood.

Exactly ! Good quality films continue to do well : Jinnah , Khamosh Paani , Ramchand Pakistani , Khuda Ke Liye :iamlegend

The problem is that your industry wont be able to create great quality films all of a sudden. Everything takes time to grow and that they wont get that time because your audience is already getting enough of what they want.

they'll always support a homemade product, if its worthwhile.

Indian films were not even allowed in cinemas till quite recently.

^ directed music videos like shor macha

and this year , i pray , is the year that turns around everything for Lollywood PLEASE GOD

some really good movies coming out
Bol
Waar
Kolachi
Tamanna

:D

i heard the name first time Bilal Lashari but i hope this movie will the turning point of the Pakistani film industry.

Last edited:
IF Pakistan film industry is ever going to compete with Bollywood, first, they would have to come up with a better name than Lollywood-what a silly name :facepalm:

Khuda Kay Liye was a good start, but its just taking too much time to come up with big movies. Many movies fail to exceed expectations while others just have the same actors that we have seen since the early 90s-(Javed Sheikh or Shaan etc).

I have been hearing about Bol for months now and yet I havent seen a single trailer/promo yet on any of the Pakistani channels here. But this Waar movie looks good and seems to have a good story to it. I hope they dont mess up.

Last edited:
Shaan's the man.

Bollywood fans will never know quality so it doesn't really matter.

P.S. that channel fails for having Tik Tok as an intro.

Last edited:
IF Pakistan film industry is ever going to compete with Bollywood, first, they would have to come up with a better name than Lollywood-what a silly name :facepalm:

Khuda Kay Liye was a good start, but its just taking too much time to come up with big movies. Many movies fail to exceed expectations while others just have the same actors that we have seen since the early 90s-(Javed Sheikh or Shaan etc).

I have been hearing about Bol for months now and yet I havent seen a single trailer/promo yet on any of the Pakistani channels here. But this Waar movie looks good and seems to have a good story to it. I hope they dont mess up.

there's a trailer on Youtube for Bol.

my friend was 1st AD on the movie, said it's coming out this summer, 14th August release maybe.

there's a trailer on Youtube for Bol.

my friend was 1st AD on the movie, said it's coming out this summer, 14th August release maybe.

Bol was releasing after WC , phir postpone ho gai kia ?:danish

pata naheen kya drama hai.

and from the look of that trailer, doesn't look that good either.

trailer is trailer, wait kr released honay ka: i think these movies turn the people way of thinking about the Pakistani film industry :afridi

Released Worldwide? :D When is it coming out?

Summer '11 is going to be good for movies

Wonderful Trailer. Can't believe that it is a Pakistani movie trailer. Epic. :)

Shaan is quite a Handsome man!

Shaan>>>>>>Salman Khan!!!!

Looks great! hopefully they play it in American theaters as well

Wow, this actually looks like it has potential.

Very impressed considering the rubbish Lollywood usually produces in terms of quality.

The trailer got 60,000 views in just one day, and it does look really good, esp. when you contrast it with the moustached display of Punjabi virility you usually see, Shaan being one of the culprits. :p

bilal lashari is a talented dude , been directing plays for quite a while , performing in lums etc..
meesha shafi and ali azmat in there as well , so already a guaranteed hit in lahore :D...hope its a good one ..

Epic trailer, here's hoping that the actual movie lives up to it.

Should ISPR really be spending money on making movies???

Looking good I hope it lives up to the expectations.

Should ISPR really be spending money on making movies???

From the official facebook page.

I just want to say that how humbled I am for all the support that you all have extended for our work. I thank you all from the very bottom of my heart and I thank you all on behalf of my Team WAAR. There are two things I would like to clear, which have been raised through some of the comments that I have read. No. 1: ISPR or Pakistan Armed Forces have not contributed a single penny for this projec...t, this project was entirely funded from my own pocket and sources. The film however highlights all the sacrifices that our Armed Forces, police and other Law enforcement agencies have rendered in this war which have never been acknowledged by the world. With this film I wanted to show the world, what we are truly made off, how we fight using our very limited resources, how each and every true Pakistani holds his and her head high under fire and have capacity and capability of showing unparalleled grace under pressure. So please know this even if I had to sell my soul to make the world see my country the way I see it, a country the foundations of which has the blood of my own family in them, I would do it every day of the week and twice on sunday, In short I wanted to say I love my country and this is how I am contributing to its future. No.2: Be very, very proud of the fact that, the entire production is done by Pakistanis not even a single foreigner was involved in any aspect of the production of the feature. We had people from Hollywood who did come here and trained most of the team and in this regard it would be unfair if I do not acknowledge the contribution of Mr. Luke Rocheleau (thanks luke). Warner Brothers and any other studios shall only be involved at the distribution stage and some post production shall be done there. So its not a WB film (yet) its a Mindworks Production and MindWorks is entirely a Pakistani Company and if you cut any one in this company they will all bleed Pakistani Flag Green. Take care of your selves and this beautiful and wonderful country of ours, have a great 2012. Yours truly. Hassan Waqas Rana (Executive Producer/Writer/Action Director

:ajmal

WAAR's trailer is in top 5 most liked videos today in the category "Film & Animation".

Last edited by a moderator:
Classy trailer.

Waiting for this movie to release, to see what Bilal Lashari has come up with this time around! :D

Very nice.

Collaboration with the ISPR is a bit of a downer though, expect some propaganda coupled with action.

WINNER.

Very nice.

Collaboration with the ISPR is a bit of a downer though, expect some propaganda coupled with action.

WINNER.

That's not an apology of the Army, but as the director said, to show the sacrifices of our Army, the 'common' soldier.

^^ Yes, thank you.

I know what to expect from ISPR, besides it wouldn't have been possible to shoot the movie without their help. :)

^^ Yes, thank you.

I know what to expect from ISPR, besides it wouldn't have been possible to shoot the movie without their help. :)

Army'zzz everywherezzz, sadly apart from Abbotabad & Islamabad where it matters :zardari, izzzn't it :asif

The problem is that your industry wont be able to create great quality films all of a sudden. Everything takes time to grow and that they wont get that time because your audience is already getting enough of what they want.

Bol and Khuda ke Liye are better films than 95% of the garbage that comes out of Bollywood nowadays.

Bollywood is garish, melodramatic and over the top. Most films are packed full of cringe - a recent examples being Don 2, Ra.One, and Dil Bole Hadipa. In the case of these three films, bigger budgets do not mean better stories.

Pakistan's Lahori film industry is 99% garbage films attempting to emulate Maula Jatt. You couldn't pay me money to sit through and endure them.

However, Bol and Khuda ke Liye were different. Yes they're low budget films, but they are enjoyable to watch and have a good story. Cinemas in Pakistan were packed for both these films. If the Lahori industry can make more fillms like these two and abstain from the usual garbage it produces, then I cannot see why it can't supplant Bollywood films in Pakistan.

Shaan Rocks...

i hope bollywood dont copy this aswel :p

just like they did with... khuda ke liye .... in 2.... my name is khan :D

Bol and Khuda ke Liye are better films than 95% of the garbage that comes out of Bollywood nowadays.

Bollywood is garish, melodramatic and over the top. Most films are packed full of cringe - a recent examples being Don 2, Ra.One, and Dil Bole Hadipa. In the case of these three films, bigger budgets do not mean better stories.

Pakistan's Lahori film industry is 99% garbage films attempting to emulate Maula Jatt. You couldn't pay me money to sit through and endure them.

However, Bol and Khuda ke Liye were different. Yes they're low budget films, but they are enjoyable to watch and have a good story. Cinemas in Pakistan were packed for both these films. If the Lahori industry can make more fillms like these two and abstain from the usual garbage it produces, then I cannot see why it can't supplant Bollywood films in Pakistan.

I think it has to do with the social conditions of the time: the 'Maula Jatt' phenomenon (& BS) came with Zia ul Haq and overall social and political instability, peoples needed a symbol of violence & virility, but before, during the Waheed Murad era for instance, we had a dynamic and interesting cinema industry.

The trailer looks great! Hats off. :14:

When is the film releasing? Want to watch this one. :D

Last edited:
Looks really good.. And surprisingly for a Pakistani film, the picture quality looks superb.. Is that trailer in HD?

They have obviously not filmed that with a Lollywood camera.. Its amazing to see that there were Hollywood films from back in the 50s which had better picture and sound quality than Pakistani films made in the 90s and 2000s..

Would be great if Lollywood could get one of the Hollywood studios to digitally remaster and release Maula Jatt on blu ray, wow that would be awesome

Would be great if Lollywood could get one of the Hollywood studios to digitally remaster and release Maula Jatt on blu ray, wow that would be awesome

3D will be better. Imagine Maula Jutt coming out of screen

trailer was rgeat but does anyone know what real life event this will portray? looks like alot of police action rahter than army action? swat assualt? attack on police training centre? anyone know what the basic synopsis is without spoiling the film?

so soon?! great!

hope it doesn't get delayed like Bol.

Wow nice... Bilal Lashari was my junior when I was studying A levels at Lahore College of Arts and Sciences. Me and him used to be on the table tennis team as well.

Looks like he has done well for himself here !

Pakistani cinema needs to get rid of this gutter term "Lollywood" first and comeup with something genuine to label its film industry with. Get rid of Bollywood type disco/music in movies.

This movie though looks nice.

Pakistani cinema needs to get rid of this gutter term "Lollywood" first and comeup with something genuine to label its film industry with. Get rid of Bollywood type disco/music in movies.

This movie though looks nice.

I disagree.

Once upon a time Pakistani cinema was way better than the Bollywood movies. Both acting wise and quality. (That´s why our movies has been copied so many times by Bollywood). It was from the 80s when the agricultural type punjabi movies took more space in Pakistan that the urdu movies were affected badly.

We have a long history of good quality movies from the 50s till 70s. Now, once again we are going towards the rights direction and hopefully the consumers will come back to Lollywood.

currently we are making 10-20 movies per year. All the movies that are made, will have Saima or Shaan Shahid in it.

out of all the movies made in an year, there are only 2-3 movies that are good....

Also the movies tht are made by Lollywood arn't promoted properly.

Something tells me that this movie would flop.. It hasn't been in the news much.... It is being released next week.

Back