Pakistani film 'Waar'

I think that is because it is not GEO's film :)

:)) thats a good reason..... BOL and Khuda Kay Liye was known to everyone due to GEO promoting it.........................

The producers should had asked channels to promote the movie, so that they get a good number of people to watch it...

Something tells me that this movie would flop.. It hasn't been in the news much.... It is being released next week.

it's not releasing next week. No release date yet.

Here is a note from executive producer of Waar
Let me Answer the proverbial question which literally each and everyone of you have asked. When is the Movie getting released? So here is the answer. As the executive producer I would like the movie to be released day before yesterday, but I am the writer as well so I want my words to have justice. Furthermore my director is a perfectionist and the biggest critic of his own work, then it is you guys who deserve the best and as Mr. Bilal Lashari says that the movie is as good as the weakest scene in it. Believe me when I tell you that we are having 18hr days and the best people in the business are working very hard to give you guys a film that you all could be proud off and own. So please be patient with us and we will InshaAllah not let you down. The movie would be released in the first part of the year and don't worry in the mean while we will not let you guys be bored we will keep on giving you guys different things including the first theatrical trailor of the movie, cast interviews, The Making Of WAAR, so a lot of exciting stuff is going to happen just stay tuned. So take very good care of yourselves and this wonderful country of ours.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/WAAR-the-movie/152087198197181

Is this movie going to be put on hold???? Just like bol? :facepalm:

It was said that the movvie will be realesed between 12-20 feb.... I hope they are sending prints to india and canada aswell

i was lookin for this topic, whats hapnin with this film people?

some people are claiming it'll be released in 2013..not sure though how credible is that.

to be released in two months..a person (father of the director I think it was) who said this in Duniya News show "Talash"..he's also doing some important role in this move..let's see..

edit..got his name..he's Kamran Lashari..

Last edited:
Lagta hai saarey paise trailer pey hi laga diye. What in the world happened to the movie?! I swear they've given 4 release dates already.

trailer out next month with release date bilal lashri said on his facebook film is complete

New Theatrical Trailer Released...
http://vimeo.com/72043220

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/72043220" width="500" height="210" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/72043220">WAAR - THEATRICAL TRAILER - 2013</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user465115">Bilal Lashari</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

The problem is that your industry wont be able to create great quality films all of a sudden. Everything takes time to grow and that they wont get that time because your audience is already getting enough of what they want.

Same could be said about the Indian folks because Hollywood has been around for a lot longer than Bollywood. wouldnt you agree?

But still bollywood has created a market for itself. It is foolish to underestimate someone like that.

Im sorry but if they market this properly this could be a worldwide hit. Not sure how many scenes are in Urdu though.

shan is pakistan's very own james bond. this teaser looks good, what's the release date now?

love it's theme song..

Last edited by a moderator:
On second thought, it is just a cheesy generic action flick but we are excited because it looks very good by Pakistani standards.

The trailer basically showed me the entire movie.

Production values look excellent, both the music and the cinematography. Some of the stills in the trailer look great.

The story, from what I heard, is stereotypical and so are the characters. But that doesn't matter since nobody in SC can write a decent script to save their lives and yet hundreds of millions want to see the movies.

So, all in all, looks pretty decent.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Went to the premiere of <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Waar&src=hash">#Waar</a> last night. It was the craziest, fun-est premiere I've ever attended! Bilal Lashari's outdone himself! :)</p>— madeeha syed (@madeehasyed) <a href="https://twitter.com/madeehasyed/statuses/388570307025707008">October 11, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Releasing on Eid. Going on second day with a friend. Already got the ticket. Hopefully will be good.

I am patiently waiting for this movie. It looks good. Anybody know if this will see release in the states?

^ Waar's producer suggested in an interview that they are planning to release it in 40 countries simultaneously.

did any one went to watch it yesterday how was it? and are the going to release it in uk?

Mixed reviews so far. But one thing they all say is that it is the most well executed action film of this region.

And yes it will be released in UK soon.

Here's a review: (It may contain spoilers)
http://blogs.tribune.com.pk/story/19191/waar-pakistans-stark-reality-or-hope-for-the-future/

thanks for your reply. cant wait to watch this movie,
its good that they are moving on from mujra type movies. we needed to be different from Bollywood and this is the best way of reviving the Pakistani cinema by making these kinds of movie,

Watched the 4 : 45 PM show at Atrium today. It was a good movie, based on real incidents such as Police Training camp attack.

Indians won't like it as Raw was involved in the movie :D but nevertheless, it was good. Action scenes were brilliant, the sound, dialogues were good. It didn't look like a Lollywood movie, and that that's the change I wanted. It also covered the Kaala Baagh Damn importance. . It was rated as "Adults Only" because of language. The 'F' word was used about 4 to 5 time in the movie.

Overall good flick my rating 6/10 for the story and 8/10 for the good action

Watched the 4 : 45 PM show at Atrium today. It was a good movie, based on real incidents such as Police Training camp attack.

Indians won't like it as Raw was involved in the movie :D but nevertheless, it was good. Action scenes were brilliant, the sound, dialogues were good. It didn't look like a Lollywood movie, and that that's the change I wanted. It also covered the Kaala Baagh Damn importance. . It was rated as "Adults Only" because of language. The 'F' word was used about 4 to 5 time in the movie.

Overall good flick my rating 6/10 for the story and 8/10 for the good action

Thats ok.. For all the movies they make bad mouthing Pakistan, I think it should not be a big problem for them to digest one movie like that. :)

Adults-only film Waar registers exceptional advanced bookings
525e8fe7147f3.jpg

KARACHI: During this Eidul Azha cinemagoers will finally be able to enjoy the much-anticipated Pakistani action-thriller Waar, starring Shaan as the protagonist and also featuring prominent television actors such as Ayesha Khan, Shamoon Abbasi and Hamza Ali Abbasi with ex-Junoon band member, Ali Azmat.

Director Bilal Lashari’s debut film is set to be released on Wednesday in the city in seven cineplexes and cinemas, including Atrium, Universe Cineplex, Cinepax Ocean Mall, Cinepax City Auditorium, Nueplex, Capri and Zeenat.

The film has also been garnering much interest since the release of its two theatrical trailers earlier this year so much so that industry insiders say that Waar’s advanced bookings are extraordinary. The owner of Atrium Cinema and film distributor Nadim Mandviwalla said,

We opened the advanced booking for Waar in Atrium just a day ago and already it has crossed a million rupees.
The Nueplex PR manager said that Waar’s advanced bookings were going exceptionally well with tickets for the film in their Royal Cinema having been sold out.

However, there has been a bit of a damper with regards to Waar as it has been given an adults-only certificate by the Sindh Board of Film Censors. According to Umer Khitab Khan, an SBFC member, this is because of obscene language and violent scenes in the movie.

Multiplex representatives said that they had had to turn away families because of this certification.

Families have been disappointed as they were looking forward to watching this film.
Mr Mandviwalla also pointed out to an anomaly with regards to Waar’s certification which has been given a U certificate by the Central Board of Film Censors. “We believe this film should be seen by as many people as possible hence a U certificate would have been more desirable.”

Other than Waar, three Pashto films are also being released on Eidul Azha. Orbal (Man on Fire) will be screened at Musarrat Cinema in Nazimabad. It stars Shahid Khan and Meera. This is film star Meera’s first Pashto film. Shahid Khan, one of Pashto film industry’s busiest actors, is also starring in Meena Kawa 302 Ma Kawa (Love, Don’t Kill) that will be shown at Nasheman Cinema. Ghairat, directed by film and TV actor Ajab Gul, with a strong cast of Arbaaz Khan and Babrik Shah will be shown in Afshan Cinema.

Akshay Kumar and Sonakshi Sinha’s Boss will be the only Indian film to be shown on Eid in seven cineplexes and cinemas — Atrium, Universe Cineplex, Cinepax Ocean Mall, Cinepax City Auditorium, Nueplex, Bambino and Zeenat.

Industry insiders expect Waar to whitewash Boss this Eid.

Action icons Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger come together for the first time in action thriller Escape Plan, which also stars Pakistani-born actor Faran Tahir. It will be screened at Atrium, Nueplex and Cinepax. The Smurfs 2, an animated movie, will also open on Eidul Azha in Cinepax, Atrium and Universe Cineplex.

http://beta.dawn.com/news/1050035/adults-only-film-waar-registers-exceptional-advanced-bookings

Hearing good stuff anti india bring it they make so many movies bashing pakistan time they got some from us movie to release in the uk in a month

Waar the review

My waar review

Waar lived up to the hype for me. An amazing experience. Really happy to see a pakistani movie doing so well and i wont fall back from saying that this movie matched hollywood level in terms of visual if not acting. Ali azmat was the only weak link when it came to acting. He just couldnt get into his role. Just too bland. Rest was amazing, even the english accents were good if you are wondering. ;p
My favorite from this movie being Shamoon Abbasi (Ramal) who was just so much into his role. Amazing acting from him especially in that scene before the intermission (no spoilers :D). I am sold.
Visuals: 5/5
Acting: 3/5
Story: 4/5
Music: 4/5

Money well spent. A must watch. Support the pakistani cinema rather than watching pathetic movies like wanted or boss.

Waar the review

My waar review

Waar lived up to the hype for me. An amazing experience. Really happy to see a pakistani movie doing so well and i wont fall back from saying that this movie matched hollywood level in terms of visual if not acting. Ali azmat was the only weak link when it came to acting. He just couldnt get into his role. Just too bland. Rest was amazing, even the english accents were good if you are wondering. ;p
My favorite from this movie being Shamoon Abbasi (Ramal) who was just so much into his role. Amazing acting from him especially in that scene before the intermission (no spoilers :D). I am sold.
Visuals: 5/5
Acting: 3/5
Story: 4/5
Music: 4/5

Money well spent. A must watch. Support the pakistani cinema rather than watching pathetic movies like wanted or boss.

Good to know! Vive le renaissance!

It was always on the cards, once these new kids started making movies. No more Syed Noor ventures starring Momi Rana and Shafqat Cheema.

A couple of years back I was chatting with a friend from Indus Valley Art School and we spoke about Iranian cinema and how they make excellent, artsy movies with low budgets and censorship constraints. She said the new generation of directors are aware that aping Bollywood is just not on, and the newcomers are well versed technically and looking to explore topics off the beaten track.

Never expect much of a story from an action flick to be honest, but the reviews about the cinematography and Amir Munawar's soundtrack are really good.

Good to know! Vive le renaissance!

It was always on the cards, once these new kids started making movies. No more Syed Noor ventures starring Momi Rana and Shafqat Cheema.

A couple of years back I was chatting with a friend from Indus Valley Art School and we spoke about Iranian cinema and how they make excellent, artsy movies with low budgets and censorship constraints. She said the new generation of directors are aware that aping Bollywood is just not on, and the newcomers are well versed technically and looking to explore topics off the beaten track.

Those days seem to be long gone now, finally. :D

Exactly. You are spot on about the iranian vs indian cinema comparison. And big news is that it beated Chennai express and akhsay kumar's boss in terms of box office sales. :D

Never expect much of a story from an action flick to be honest, but the reviews about the cinematography and Amir Munawar's soundtrack are really good.

Dont go over the review of express tribune. Its pure BS.

Making a Big-Budget Movie in Pakistan
OB-ZH285_iwaar1_D_20131015074338.jpg

The biggest budget film to hit Pakistan’s cinemas arrives on screens in the country Wednesday. “Waar,” which means “to strike” in Urdu, is a slick and fast-paced action film centering around Pakistan’s fight against terrorism.

The film took more than three years to make and cost around US$2.2 million, a paltry sum by international standards but huge in comparison to other films in Pakistan which usually cost less than US$25,000 to make, according to Hassan Rana, writer and producer of “Waar.”

Mr. Rana, and director Bilal Lashari, hope that big guns and heroes with even bigger biceps, will help the film tell Pakistan’s side of the war of terror. There are currently plans to distribute the film in 25 countries.

The Wall Street Journal met with Mr. Lashari to find out more about the film, which he says is providing a much-needed boost to Pakistan’s moribund film industry.

Edited excerpts:

The Wall Street Journal: Why did you decide to make a film about counter terrorism in Pakistan?

Bilal Lashari: Basically it’s an action film and it’s intended to be more of a cinematic experience than a classroom experience. If you want to make an action film in Pakistan, counter terrorism happens to be a very important and relevant backdrop. It’s a theme and it’s a story that we want to tell to people in Pakistan and people outside of Pakistan. And at the same time we wanted to give them quality entertainment.

WSJ: How do you think the film will be received in Pakistan?

Mr. Lashari: The reaction has already been pretty overwhelming just from the trailers. I think that they will be proud of this film. It is a really slick looking high-production value film, and I think that it will inspire a lot of people in Pakistan. I hope it’s going to do a lot for the film industry as a whole, as well as get an important story from Pakistan out to the rest of the world.

WSJ: How do you think the international reaction will differ?

Mr. Lashari: The world is more receptive to stories from Pakistan than ever before, and the film naturally has an audience because of the topic. The fact that it is primarily in English should also provide a decent audience internationally.

WSJ: Do you expect the film to provoke any controversy?

Mr. Lashari: I don’t personally find anything in this film to be too controversial. But a little bit of controversy isn’t a bad thing. I hope the film will start debates. But overall I don’t think that people in Pakistan will focus as much on the content as on the cinematic experience.

WSJ: The main hero of the film, Mujtaba, is not only fighting terrorism but he is also fighting with the loss of his wife and son in a terrorist attack. How did you develop his character?

Mr. Lashari: We added the family element to his character later on. We needed to give the character a little more motivation, to give him that past and something that he needed to get over in order to start on this new journey of hunting down the terrorist. It is also something that people can relate to in Pakistan. A lot of people have lost family members to terrorism in Pakistan, and in the film Mujtaba is trying to overcome his past in order to put his country before his family. The country itself is the reason to move on and this is something that people in Pakistan will relate to. We are very emotional and very patriotic people.

WSJ: Do you think that Pakistan today it lacking these sorts of heroes?

Mr. Lashari: Yes, the lack of heroes is one of the problems that Pakistan is facing right now. People need heroes that they can look up to. So many exist in this country, but their stories are not out there. While making this film I had the chance to interact with a lot of people in the armed forces and their stories are incredible. They’ve lost their friends and their family members but they still keep going on and keep fighting that enemy. Mujtaba’s journey in the film reflects the stories of a lot of people in Pakistan. It’s a film so it’s going to be more intense and sensationalized, but I do think that people will be able to relate to him.

WSJ: The film claims to be inspired by real events, how so?

Mr. Lashari: It was inspired by an attack on the Manawan Police Academy in Lahore in 2009, but it might be a little misleading to say that the whole entire film is based on that. Originally, the film was supposed to be more about that one event, but with time it ended up changing. We also linked in a couple of other real stories, like the rescue of the Chinese engineer.

WSJ: What’s next for you?

Mr. Lashari: At the moment I’m just enjoying the reaction to the film. I’m talking to a few people about the next project, which is definitely going to be something epic but I don’t want to give it away right now. Right now, I just want to take some time to get this film out of my system because I’ve been living it for over three years.

http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013/10/16/making-a-big-budget-movie-in-pakistan/

Indian Media. I think this will create more interest in Indian public to watch this movie :p

Pakistani film Waar shows India as cause of nation’s problems

Coinciding with the release of War Chhod Na Yar on the Indian side, comes a Pakistani movie called Waar which has an entirely different story-line. Opening to cinemas on Eid this week, Waar is a movie about Pakistan’s war on terrorism and how India is behind all the terrorist activities that take place in Pakistan.

Relying heavily on stereotypes that exist in Pakistani media already, Waar is a story about one Major Mujhtaba, a retired army officer who had taken an early retirement from the forces due to personal reasons. This lead role is played by the country’s top actor, Shaan.

A special task force of the police is trying to tackle terrorism in the tribal areas but there comes a time when they realize that Pakistan is about to be hit by a terrorist attack and none but the retired Major Ehtesham can lead such a complicated operation.

The two villans in the movie that emerge are the local politicians (there are look alikes of Zardari and Nawaz Sharif) and RAW agents, who come in different shapes and sizes.

The two RAW agents Ramal and Laxmi are the primary cause of most trouble in Pakistan. The movie shows them behind political murders, suicide bombings and even kidnapping. There is another RAW agent who works as a social worker by day and honey-traps willing politicians by nights. With such a predictable story line, some observers say that Pakistani producers are using the formula of Indian films of the 80’s which rely heavily on propaganda and patriotism. The fact that the movie has funding from the Pakistan Army through its public relations arm also helps explain its plot, they add.

At the same time, technically Waar is better than most Pakistani movies and is also the country’s most expensive movie made to date.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/world...se-of-nation-s-problems/Article1-1136151.aspx

Very happy for Pakistani cinema , Waar , MHSA and Zinda Bhaag have raised the standard of Pakistani cinema . Any movie that does not match that standard will flop . These films , having been released back to back have proven that a quality film will work .

Nadeem Mandviwalla`s contribution to Pakistani cinema is commendable . If it was not for him , we would never have gotten to watch these films . He is the man behind the release of all these films .

^ and full of spoilers which infuriated me.

Yaar , our people don`t know how to write a proper review . I read another BS report there about Pakistani film Josh . It was released on very limited screens and given that , it did very well but ET termed it a disaster at the box office .

They got their calculations about MHSA all wrong . I don`t know how credible the official box office report is , anyway . Our people will do anything to evade taxes . :razzaq

And , it is really hard to find tickets for Waar right now in Karachi . Sab book haiN bhai .

Indians won't like it as Raw was involved in the movie :D

Jal gai jal gai :27:

Coinciding with the release of War Chhod Na Yar on the Indian side, comes a Pakistani movie called Waar which has an entirely different story-line. Opening to cinemas on Eid this week, Waar is a movie about Pakistan’s war on terrorism and how India is behind all the terrorist activities that take
place in Pakistan.

Relying heavily on stereotypes that exist in Pakistani media already, Waar is a story about one Major Mujhtaba, a retired army officer who had taken an early retirement from the forces due to personal reasons. This lead role is played by the country’s top actor, Shaan.

A special task force of the police is trying to tackle terrorism in the tribal areas but there comes a time when they realize that Pakistan is about to be hit by a terrorist attack and none but the retired Major Ehtesham can lead such a complicated operation.

The two villans in the movie that emerge are the local politicians (there are look alikes of Zardari and Nawaz Sharif) and RAW agents, who come in different shapes and sizes.

The two RAW agents Ramal and Laxmi are the primary cause of most trouble in Pakistan. The movie shows them behind political murders, suicide bombings and even kidnapping. There is another RAW agent who works as a social worker by day and honey-traps willing politicians by nights.

With such a predictable story line, some observers say that Pakistani producers are using the formula of Indian films of the 80’s which rely heavily on propaganda and patriotism. The fact that the movie has funding from the Pakistan Army through its public relations arm also helps explain its plot, they add.

At the same time, technically Waar is better than most Pakistani movies and is also the country’s most expensive movie made to date.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/world...se-of-nation-s-problems/Article1-1136151.aspx

:)))

Waar seems promising. I think it will help Pakistani Cinema industry revive. :snack:

Moreover personally it will be like a great Starter before the main course of B.R. Chopra's Border-2 ;-)

With such a predictable story line, some observers say that Pakistani producers are using the formula of Indian films of the 80’s which rely heavily on propaganda and patriotism. The fact that the movie has funding from the Pakistan Army through its public relations arm also helps explain its plot, they add

the irony and hypocrisy pouring out of that article with the above most telling is not a surprise!.

So the indians have no problem with movies like Border and other countless movies which show Pakistan or Muslims as villians but have a problem with this? Bunch of hypocrites.

Indians can whine all they want.. the movie is going to make money in Pakistan and hopefully more such movies will start coming out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

That taangaiN kaanp rahi haiN situation again ? :afridi

Karachi: Pakistani film revolving around the theme of terrorism in the country has set new record openings at the box office, beating the takings of Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan starrer 'Chennai Express' at Eid ul Fitr two months back.

'Waar' which stars Pakistani actor-director Shaan was released on Wednesday and raked in approximately 20 million rupees on its first two days, a record for any film released in the country.

"On the first day it was released across 42 screens in the country and it took in around 11.4 million rupees which is even better than the nine million rupees mustered by 'Chennai Express' on its opening day at Eid," film distributor and owner of the Atrium multiplex cinemas, Nadeem Mandviwalla told PTI.

He said it is a healthy sign for Pakistani film industry that 'Waar' did good business with direct competition from Akshay Kumar's 'Boss', which also did well on the opening day.

"I would say going by the first two days 'Waar' should rake in around 50 million rupees in its first week of exhibition across the country," he said.

The film is a debut for director Bilal Lashari and is said to be the most expensive Pakistani film made at a budget of 2.5 million. It has caught the imagination and interest of viewers with its catchy trailer and action sequences.

Mandviwalla said the advance bookings for the film had also been helped by the unusually long Eid holidays and noted the year had been a good one for Pakistani film industry.

"Films like 'Main Hoon Shahid Afridi' which took in 55 million rupees, 'Zinda Bhaag' which has also done well and now 'Waar' have given the Pakistani film industry a new credibility and distributors, exhibitors are willing to bank on them," he said.

As a result of the new wave of Pakistani cinema, 'Boss' was only released in seven cineplexes and cinemas in Karachi on Eid but industry insiders say it also did good business. 'Waar' which also stars TV actors like Shamoon Abbasi, Ayesha Khan and singer Ali Azmat has been given an adults-only certificate by the Sindh Board of Film Censors. According to Umer Khitab Khan, an SBFC member, this is because of obscene language and violent scenes in the movie.

Read more at: http://ibnlive.in.com/news/waar-bea...s-record/429073-8.html?utm_source=ref_article

Syed Zaid Zaman Hamid [Official]

Alhamdolillah, the fire of Ishq and Junoon which we ignited for Pak Sarzameen is now burning the tails of Beyghairat Brigade and pro-India liberal fascists !! They know it too.

For the first time, a patriotic movie destroying the entire narrative of SAFMA snakes and Aman Ki Asha pimps, alhamdolillah. These snake seriously suspect, we wrote the script :)) Well, we will not acknowledge nor deny.

Though "Waar" is not ideologically in line with Medina e Sani's spiritual role, it is still a strong patriotic movie which is setting a positive trend in fighting the information war against Pak Sarzameen.

Let them burn in hell !! This faqeer will haunt them even after their deaths !!

1375702_558862574168558_1931591023_n.jpg

Back