Pakistani film 'Waar'

Wow! RGV just put a lid on all criticism of Waar from India and by Indians. Respect RGV for saying it like it is. Art has no boundaries.

I think he tweeted that he watched a pirated copy of the movie apologizing to Lashari and later deleted that tweet.

Ram Gopal Varma: very famous and influential Indian director, made Rangeela and Satya among others. His direction skills have set new standards in Bollywood. Highly regarded.

^ Thanks! Good to see his tweet. Much better than some of the jaaalous folks in this thread :D

Ram Gopal Varma 'stunned beyond belief' after watching WAAR

"Saw pakistani film 'Waar ' ..stunned beyond belief..i just want to leave direction nd go to pakistan to assist its director Bilal Lashari"

"Sharuk khan being the biggest star there nd chennai express having a record of 9 million on first day Bilal lashari's Waar collected 11.4"

"After seeing 'Waar' i honestly feel us indian film makers should get off our assumed high horses and look at pakistani films seriously"

"Mr.Bilal Lashari wherever u r in pakistan I want 2 salute u..irrespective of anythng else I am student of cinema nd am thrilled wth ur film"

"Hey if anyone out there in pakistan knows Mr.Bilal Lashari personally can you please convey to him my regards and congratulations"

"Anti indian sentiments a part of plot which is Bilal's personal democratic prerogative bt am enamoured wth craft of hw Bilal portrayed them"

"I hear @blashahari ws asst of @shomanmansoor..aftr seeing both films I feel @shomanmansoor shud now assist @blashahari nd I wn2 b 2nd asst"

https://twitter.com/RGVzoomin

I have watched WAAR and it's just passable not great, we have produced better movies like BOL, KHUDA KE LIAY etc. WAAR doesnt have that class, though it's a lot better than indian movies like Chennai express ...

he's not trolling.. he only trolls commercial karan johar,srk, salman type movies

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Fr those asking hw I got 2 see Waar I mst confess nd apologize tht I saw pirated as I ws unable 2 resist aftr hearing about it frm many here</p>— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) <a href="https://twitter.com/RGVzoomin/statuses/394381010344763392">October 27, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Ramu is an idiot. His comments in general are crass and he keeps looking for ways to make his presence knows as nobody gives two hoots to him.

One such example is when the Boss DK song came out, he said something to the tune of "The makers of the movie have introduced us to some real creativity"

Complete dha-kkan. He was the one who went to the Taj hotel in mumbai after 2008 attacks to get the glimpse of how a real terror site looks like within hours of siege ending.

OK so Waar may be the best film ever made but so far I have heard only two claims to fame

1. It is the highest grossing movie so far surpassing Shah Rukh Khan's Chennai Express
2. Its admired by RGV

What's common there. No prizes for guessing.

Syed Zaid Zaman Hamid

Zaid Hamid and Dr. Ahsan Rana, producer of WAAR narrating the amazing story of how WAAR is made and what impact it created in defending Pakistan in the information war. Listen to how Indian lobbies are trying to block this film. Is this film funded by army ?? you will know the secret too

Lets humiliate the Beyghairat brigade together

Zaid Hamid Defence Analyst, Faiz-ul-Hassan Chohan PTI and Hassan Waqas Rana Producer/ Writer WAAR in fresh episode of Bisaat on News One and talk with Nasir Habib.

<iframe frameborder="0" width="500" height="350" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x16gyez"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16gyez_bisaat26oct2013_news" target="_blank">

he's not trolling.. he only trolls commercial karan johar,srk, salman type movies

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Fr those asking hw I got 2 see Waar I mst confess nd apologize tht I saw pirated as I ws unable 2 resist aftr hearing about it frm many here</p>— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) <a href="https://twitter.com/RGVzoomin/statuses/394381010344763392">October 27, 2013</a></blockquote>

Hmm ok so he is not trolling. lol

Didn't Pakistan ban half dozen films in last couple of years because of them being Anti-Pakistan?

^^

It just mean that Bollywood releases Anti-pakistan movies every year. Last time Pakistan made anti-India movie before Waar was more then decade ago. Director was Shoaib Mansoor and actor Shan again.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Just had a long telephonic chat with Bilal Lashari ..am as impressed with his humbleness as much as I was with his film Waar</p>— Ram Gopal Varma (@RGVzoomin) <a href="https://twitter.com/RGVzoomin/statuses/394824338097975297">October 28, 2013</a></blockquote>

^^

It just mean that Bollywood releases Anti-pakistan movies every year. Last time Pakistan made anti-India movie before Waar was more then decade ago. Director was Shoaib Mansoor and actor Shan again.

it actually means film production in lollywood is dead :moyo:moyo

All I want to know is when is this getting released in the USA? I am not going to watch this online. Let us support our guys for the wonderful effort. Hope this is the first of many.

The Korean cinema has come a long way. I hope Pakistan can replicate some of the strides the Koreans have made in the last 10 year or so.

it actually means film production in lollywood is dead :moyo:moyo

Every year 25-30 movies are made even when industry is dead. You make it sound like this is the first film Pakistani industry produced in a decade.

One important question:

Is it a good movie by Pakistani standards OR is it a good movie by any standards?

All I want to know is when is this getting released in the USA? I am not going to watch this online. Let us support our guys for the wonderful effort. Hope this is the first of many.

The Korean cinema has come a long way. I hope Pakistan can replicate some of the strides the Koreans have made in the last 10 year or so.

Ironically, Korean cinema went exactly through the same history.
It's in 1998 that Shiri symbolically resurrected it, and the rest (from Memories of Murder to New World today) is, as they say, history.

I'd like Pak cinema to take a leaf out of Iran's book too when it comes to cinema.

not my intent but 2 flicks a month....

Pak used to produce +200 movies/year, and until the 80 they were way way better than Bollywood's melodramatic cliché script.
Then "Maula Jutt" culture appeared and all the talent got trained into the PTV dramas. That's why Pak had the most successful but also creatively versatile drama industry of Asia until the Korean invasion of the 2000s (but since few years it has found its fire again.)

not my intent but 2 flicks a month....

Since the decline of Pakistani cinema in the 1970s, mainstream films in the country have lost originality, a good script and an audience.

In the ‘golden days’ of Pakistani cinema, the film industry churned out more than 200 films annually, today it’s one-fifth of what it used to be.

http://dawn.com/news/591275/pakistans-film-industry-and-cinema-culture

Back then more than 200 Pakistani films were made annually, today it is less than one-fifth of that.

http://blogs.aljazeera.com/blog/asia/pakistans-first-big-budget-action-film

200 movies is a huge number if you consider Pak's population back then was roughly 60 millions (and many who couldn't read/write so forget being movie directors).
To make a comparison, French cinema (leading in Europe) last year (one of its best years since the French New Wave) produced 240 movies (70 millions, 99% literacy rate.) America, with 5 times the pop of 70s Pak, pulls out approx. 400 movies per year.

There's a list of film directors, it's being updated daily but there are +700 names already

http://mazhar.dk/film/directors/

and +200 films a year gives you an idea of actors/singers/lyricists/... so you'd guess how creative the country was in its inceptive years (and I guess that's why the "older" generation is angry with Palestinian-killer Zia ul Hack for destroying the cultural set up of a vibrant nation.)

Just need a little push (and perhaps Waar is the chosen one) and we'll be back there, and no one would want to watch your B-grade 3-hours long Indian jingoistic galvanizing musical extravaganzas.

Last edited:
Ironically, Korean cinema went exactly through the same history.
It's in 1998 that Shiri symbolically resurrected it, and the rest (from Memories of Murder to New World today) is, as they say, history.

I'd like Pak cinema to take a leaf out of Iran's book too when it comes to cinema.

Pak used to produce +200 movies/year, and until the 80 they were way way better than Bollywood's melodramatic cliché script.
Then "Maula Jutt" culture appeared and all the talent got trained into the PTV dramas. That's why Pak had the most successful but also creatively versatile drama industry of Asia until the Korean invasion of the 2000s (but since few years it has found its fire again.)

Its like you have been reading my mind. thats exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned Korean cinema. For a while it was all about Hong Kong but then Siri came long and it changed everything. It was an amazing movie. Now their TV shows and movies are right up there with the best of them.

Old Boy, The Host, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, The Chaser and they recently remade Hong Kong Movie Eyes in The Sky, their version's name is Cold Eyes. I thought it was brilliant.

Its like you have been reading my mind. thats exactly what I had in mind when I mentioned Korean cinema. For a while it was all about Hong Kong but then Siri came long and it changed everything. It was an amazing movie. Now their TV shows and movies are right up there with the best of them.

Old Boy, The Host, Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, The Chaser and they recently remade Hong Kong Movie Eyes in The Sky, their version's name is Cold Eyes. I thought it was brilliant.

Hong Kong is a peculiar case too... they're ethnically Han Chinese (like 99% - roughly - of China) but they had more economic progress/social liberties as compared to mainland China... and whereas 7-millions Hans in Hong Kong are known for their cinema all over the world, 1.2 billion Hans in China still struggle to market their own cinema... it's quite a criminal display of what a same group of peoples can do (or can't do) if given (or not) the right opportunities.
You can say that pre and post-Zia ul Haq Pakistan followed the same lines, somehow.

Good list of Korean movies, I'd add I Saw the Devil, A Man from Nowhere and Nameless Gangster too, and A Moment to Remember which is in another genre altogether but a class product.

Meanwhile for WAAR

1385804_557578287648068_579793953_n.jpg

Last edited:
http://dawn.com/news/591275/pakistans-film-industry-and-cinema-culture

http://blogs.aljazeera.com/blog/asia/pakistans-first-big-budget-action-film

200 movies is a huge number if you consider Pak's population back then was roughly 60 millions (and many who couldn't read/write so forget being movie directors).
To make a comparison, French cinema (leading in Europe) last year (one of its best years since the French New Wave) produced 240 movies (70 millions, 99% literacy rate.) America, with 5 times the pop of 70s Pak, pulls out approx. 400 movies per year.

There's a list of film directors, it's being updated daily but there are +700 names already

http://mazhar.dk/film/directors/

and +200 films a year gives you an idea of actors/singers/lyricists/... so you'd guess how creative the country was in its inceptive years (and I guess that's why the "older" generation is angry with Palestinian-killer Zia ul Hack for destroying the cultural set up of a vibrant nation.)

Just need a little push (and perhaps Waar is the chosen one) and we'll be back there, and no one would want to watch your B-grade 3-hours long Indian jingoistic galvanizing musical extravaganzas.

And no1 Akher no1 in the world is pleading you to watch them. You/your parents/your family/your social set/your country watch them out of free will and yet you just moan and moan like an old village woman.

And no1 Akher no1 in the world is pleading you to watch them. You/your parents/your family/your social set/your country watch them out of free will and yet you just moan and moan like an old village woman.

Me and the aliens can watch it, it doesn't flatter its artistic value, majority of Bolly movies are crap so they're crap, as simple as that, that one or one billion watch it doesn't change that fact.

Very few peoples watch Iranian movies but you don't need to be a cultural critic to reckon that what they produce in one year in terms of movie quality Bollywood does it in one decade.

Regarding Bollywood never watched it my self but money wise how does it stack up to there competition?

Me and the aliens can watch it, it doesn't flatter its artistic value, majority of Bolly movies are crap so they're crap, as simple as that, that one or one billion watch it doesn't change that fact.

Very few peoples watch Iranian movies but you don't need to be a cultural critic to reckon that what they produce in one year in terms of movie quality Bollywood does it in one decade.

McDonalds is crap the aliens, the kid on the street, the doofus in the dog house knows it and yet millions if not billions devour it on a daily basis. MaccyD like Bolly is there for commercial purposes and till there are masses that will watch it/eat it will be produced. Your nagging will not stop the consumption even in Pakistan.

Very few folks eat Scandinavian diet, yet you dont need to be a diet guru to know it is much better for your health- yet MaccyD's outsell Scandi food day to a decade.

Bolly goes for commercial success and it gets it all over the world- even in the country that supposed to be at the fore front of India bashing.

Credit where it's due, they're not all crap. Lagan, and other Amir Khan movies are good. Wednesday was awesome. It's the big budget shah rush and salmon movies that are mostly crap.

But yes given the huge volume they churn out an overwhelming majority is nothing but cheesy abnoxious crap.

Then again there is demand for such stuff in India so what can we say

McDonalds is crap the aliens, the kid on the street, the doofus in the dog house knows it and yet millions if not billions devour it on a daily basis. MaccyD like Bolly is there for commercial purposes and till there are masses that will watch it/eat it will be produced. Your nagging will not stop the consumption even in Pakistan.

Very few folks eat Scandinavian diet, yet you dont need to be a diet guru to know it is much better for your health- yet MaccyD's outsell Scandi food day to a decade.

Bolly goes for commercial success and it gets it all over the world- even in the country that supposed to be at the fore front of India bashing.

This . all the moaning from a few trolls does not change the fact that our movies are hugely popular in PK & the fact that their movies have zilch viewership in Ind .

Hollywood is McDonald's, Bollywood is barely Burger King, and again, what "commercial success" has to do with Bollywood's supposed artistic irradiation ?
In Pak a Koran-type renaissance and Bollywood would be a footnote, in India itself the rise of regional cinemas has threaten the hegemony of the Hindi-language industry.
Don't 'hate' Bollywood - nice Punjabi ladies and some good movies indeed - but the religious vigour Indians show about advocating for Bollywood's supremacy on a Pak forum (because irl they would prefer seeing Kapil Dev trim his moustache than sit 3-hours in front of a melodramatic triangle love story) is getting exasperating.

Forget Pakistan, ask any "neutral" (PP's local contingent from other continents perhaps) and no one takes Bollywood seriously.

Last edited:

As a bolly fan it might be an alien concept to you, but there is more to film than commercial success, Film is such a beautiful form of art from method acting to artistic nudity. For me appreciation of art is always dependent on general taste and critical reasoning skill of masses(its audience), with progress in both in future may be Indians start looking at their past cinema as crap(at least most of it). So no need to protect it so vehemently in present, just a suggestion.

Last edited:
If anything the success of such movies in India is just a reflection of the poor taste of the masses.

I heard all this hoopla of this movie called Robot or something and I started watching it and realized it was a 55 year old tubby dude trying to pretend he was Terminator. Needless to say I stopped after 15 minutes. Yet the movie made big business in India. Similarly in Pakistan its mostly housewives who enjoy the girly gay fare from India and the movies do make business, no denying that. But you ask anybody about the artistic value of most of these films and you will get your answer.

No denying also the Pakistani movies are extremely terrible in a similar vein. Its mostly because they are targeted towards the mazdoor tabqa, uneducated masses, that is why the industry is floundering. The educated people stay away and prefer Pakistani tv shows or Hollywood movies because they offer much better entertainment value. Hope that changes soon.

But in India, it seems every Tom, Dick, Harry, Pappy, Patel and Pinky enjoy the cheesy, nauseating crap they call Bollywood Blockbusters.

I think Salman's inspiration in picking is roles is late Pakistani actor Sultan Rahi.

I swear to God, I would not be susprised if one of these days he shouts this dialogue in one of his movies "Oye Mauley noo Maula na maarey, tey Maula kadi nai o mer sakda .. OYEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

Followed by a lethal swing of his deadly gandasa, about two dozen decapitated indian villains, and a very healthy lacha kurta dressed heroine dancing in the corn fields...

I heard part 2 was more realistic and some people were really offended, even though they haven't seen it.

I think Salman's inspiration in picking is roles is late Pakistani actor Sultan Rahi.

I swear to God, I would not be susprised if one of these days he shouts this dialogue in one of his movies "Oye Mauley noo Maula na maarey, tey Maula kadi nai o mer sakda .. OYEEEEEEEEEE!!!!"

Followed by a lethal swing of his deadly gandasa, about two dozen decapitated indian villains, and a very healthy lacha kurta dressed heroine dancing in the corn fields...

Sultan Rahi is a legend, no current crop from bollywood or lullywood can be as cool as "Sultan Rahi" oye.

I am offended just at hearing, they made a part 2.

You do not live in PK it seems .

KARACHI: Saif Ali Khan starrer “Race 2″ has reached new heights at the box office. Apart from earning exceptional figures in India, the film has become the highest grossing Bollywood film ever in Pakistan.

The action thriller gained the top position after earning $775,000 at the Pakistan box office in a few weeks after its release. The film overtook Shahrukh Khan’s 2011 action crime film “Don 2″, which collected approximately $680,000, followed by Salman Khan’s “Bodyguard” with $630,000 and “Dabangg 2″ with $600,000.

The film, a sequel to the 2008 film “Race”, has become the second highest grossing film in the country after Pakistani social drama film “Bol” which minted $1 million at collection centres.

You do not live in PK it seems .

KARACHI: Saif Ali Khan starrer “Race 2″ has reached new heights at the box office. Apart from earning exceptional figures in India, the film has become the highest grossing Bollywood film ever in Pakistan.

The action thriller gained the top position after earning $775,000 at the Pakistan box office in a few weeks after its release. The film overtook Shahrukh Khan’s 2011 action crime film “Don 2″, which collected approximately $680,000, followed by Salman Khan’s “Bodyguard” with $630,000 and “Dabangg 2″ with $600,000.

The film, a sequel to the 2008 film “Race”, has become the second highest grossing film in the country after Pakistani social drama film “Bol” which minted $1 million at collection centres.

No I dont and I left Pakistan back in the day when Indian movies were not shown in theatres.

People in Pakistan are just starved for entertainment and will jump on anything they can understand it seems. I can understand why English movies dont make that much there. Because of the language barrier.. but Waar is still making good money surprisingly.

cant believe I was dragged to this nonsense, dont attempt movies please, stick to good dramas

cant believe I was dragged to this nonsense, dont attempt movies please, stick to good dramas

Don't watch it then, do you really they are going to stop making movies because some random guy don't like it.

Is that true that there's NO media coverage from Geo AT ALL ? Have seen peoples going pretty ballistic about that on social media.

Also, Waar's OST seems to be the amongst the best for a Pak movie as many put it

^for instance that's what you'd expect in some Final Fantasy or Zelda, high quality composition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geo is not reporting anything about Waar because ARY is the Media partner of this film. There is nothing wrong if Geo is not reporting, however you can call it "Professional Jealousy".

Geo aren't reporting it because they make their money from importing indian movies to Pakistan. They've done everything in their power to show indian movies ahead of pakistani movies in our cinemas. Their version of aman ki asha that they're making money from and ruining our industry

Edit. Poor quality and waste of time. Deleted the movie. Must watch it on big screen.

Last edited:
Geo aren't reporting it because they make their money from importing indian movies to Pakistan. They've done everything in their power to show indian movies ahead of pakistani movies in our cinemas. Their version of aman ki asha that they're making money from and ruining our industry

I dont watch TV much, but whenever GEO is on, the only thing I see is indian movies running, indian movie trailers, or indian film news.

I'm quite certain the accusations of geo taking money from indians is true, looking at how they are operating nowadays

I dont watch TV much, but whenever GEO is on, the only thing I see is indian movies running, indian movie trailers, or indian film news.

I'm quite certain the accusations of geo taking money from indians is true, looking at how they are operating nowadays

What's disgusting is that they're the first to cry about the "revival of Pak cinema", yet don't give the legitimate coverage to a box-office hit such as WAAR, which could be instrumental in reviving the industry... even if its from the rival media group, you shouldn't act so paindu and have a minimum sense of professionalism, and yes it looks even worse when you know that when a Bollywood diva does some shopping it makes the headlines on their crap channel.

Its quite shocking actually, if they don't change then people will start believing in sir Hamid theory. And it can be dangerous for Geo channel in the long run.

Its quite shocking actually, if they don't change then people will start believing in sir Hamid theory. And it can be dangerous for Geo channel in the long run.

What did he say ? (didn't follow Pak news channels since ages)

What's disgusting is that they're the first to cry about the "revival of Pak cinema", yet don't give the legitimate coverage to a box-office hit such as WAAR, which could be instrumental in reviving the industry... even if its from the rival media group, you shouldn't act so paindu and have a minimum sense of professionalism, and yes it looks even worse when you know that when a Bollywood diva does some shopping it makes the headlines on their crap channel.

True. The other day dad was watching Geo news, and all the news were about indian celebrities. And all of it was cheap, just like most of their stuff.

Aman ki Asha is all Geo believes in :asif

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6DULh_5lexw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Waar all set for UK release

“Waar has been approved for release with no cuts. However, it will take 10 to 15 days to release because we are negotiating with distributors,” Lashari tells The Express Tribune.
The number of screens, cities and locations are still being finalised.
In an earlier interview, Lashari said that he was gearing up for the international release of Waar, and was in talks with various distributors.
The Pakistani film has grossed Rs190 million since its release on Eidul Azha alongside Bollywood flick Boss. Boss closed at Rs40 million at the local box office.
There has also been some speculation about the film’s release in India. Bilal Lashari said, “I have not approached anyone specifically for distribution in India.” Given the theme of the film and the perception that ‘Waar shows India as cause of nation’s problems’, the director says, “I have no idea how people will react, but it would be great if it ends up being screened. A lot of people are saying it’s never going to happen.”
The movie was released on 42 screens across Pakistan and beat the box office record for an opening day take of Rs11.4 million.
It is an action/thriller and drama film, written by Hassan Waqas Rana and stars Pakistan’s actors, Shaan Shahid and Shamoon Abbasi. The storyline has been inspired by the war on terror in Pakistan and its effects on the world, but with a stylised interpretation of it.

^ it won't be available yet... first it will be screened worldwide and then later on DVDs

Any news on where it will showing in the uk, or if its out in dvd-vcd in pakistan?

Really looking forwad to watching this movie

Guys where can I watch this movie? Heard too many good things about it..can't help it!

Sadly this won't be playing in any theater near where I live :/

Yeah anyone know where one can watch or download the movie? i would watch in theatres but it isn't available here.

Back