[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Saud Shakeel: Essential Or Liability?

Saud shakeel has proved his selection right and I am fine with the number he played on yesterday. Saud needs to go deeper in the next games and show everyone what he can really do.

Former national team captain and coach Waqar Younis revealed the secret of Saud Shakeel's class.

Former head coach and captain Waqar Younis said during the commentary that Karachi batsmen play spin very well, Javed Miandad, Tahir Abbas etc. all played spin very well.

Waqar Younis said that Saud Shakeel has also proved his mettle by performing brilliantly against the Netherlands.

Saud Shakeel, who played the first match of the World Cup, showed excellent batting and scored a brilliant fifty off 32 balls. This was pakistan's second fastest half-century in the World Cup.

Source: ARY

Last edited:
I have always supported Saud , he should have played at least 4 years back. He is a solid player , I tell you guys he will be a decent part time bowler as well. Babar is not wise , he should have used him as a bowler as well.

Babar is probably more talented but Saud has got the nerves to execute his skills under pressure

Imagine middle order of Saud , Sarfraz and Ifti. Theyl brutalise a lot of spin attacks
Indeed Sarfraz would have been a great addition to the side instead of Haris. His experience would have helped more , Haris seems to be a waste of space..

On commentary a few moments ago. He is getting some hise praise from some big personalities.

Matthew Hayden: "I had a chance to see Shakeel in the nets yesterday; he seemed like a very calm and organized player."

Waqar on Shakeel: I think he's the best left-hander Pakistan have

The way Saud Shakeel play his natural game under pressure while keeping him calm is just superb.

He has exceptional control against spin bowlers so i think he is going to play a vital role in the India vs. Pakistan game.

Shakeel is one of those rare things in Pakistan cricket - a batsman who was allowed to develop his game and experience before entering international cricket.

We are reaping the rewards of actually cooking a player rather than chucking him in there raw and saying inshaAllah.

Hopefully we learn from this with Saim and he goes the Saud route rather than the Haider route.

Wasn't impressed much by Saud's limited overs game in 2021 series in England. But it's astonishing to see how much he has developed his game since and how improved he's already looking. (not to mention his success in tests was anticipated)

Shakeel is one of those rare things in Pakistan cricket - a batsman who was allowed to develop his game and experience before entering international cricket.

We are reaping the rewards of actually cooking a player rather than chucking him in there raw and saying inshaAllah.

Hopefully we learn from this with Saim and he goes the Saud route rather than the Haider route.

Theirs a difference though. I remember I said in my previous posts that technique highly matters. I said Abdullah and saud are going to be great because of solid technique and stroke play, a good technique player performs well if their confident enough, they don't struggle much. Even rizzu has good technique. People think he doesn't because he's limited in stroke play but he's clearly the best player in the world when it comes to sweep shots and his leg side play is unmatched in Pakistan.

Saim has all the shots in the world and a killer technique.

Mohammad haris lacks footwork and you can tell he's a hack.

Fakhar zaman with his baseball stance can't play anything angling away or into him, he just pulls and drives if its overpitched. He's done well in the past but bowlers have figured his weakness put now. Even Nepal was making sure to just angle it away from him and he got out.

Haider Ali had the most unsteady stance on the planet, he would have gotten exposed at international.

It's why I don't rate azam Khan either, dude has zero technique

Saim, Abdullah and saud all have the techniques and stroke play down, same with babar and rizzu, even imam tbf, but imam is a mental midget hence won't ever reach his full potential, his fitness and attitude clearly shows his downfall, going down the umar akmal and Shehzad route lol. Even omair bin aziz is good, we have a solid future

Only ? Mark is tayyab since his bharanga shots are great for pace, and despite people calling him a spin basher he looks like a tailender against quality spin, the spin bashing he did in emerging Asia cup was against bowlers who don't know how to spin, Shadab Level bowlers lol.

He was guilty of trying too many aerial shots in the last game.
Needs to learn from Kohli. Build your innings by playing grounded strokes and hit a 6 when a ball is right in the slot and deserves nothing less.
Saud was trying to chip too many balls in the air probably for 2's. That's not the right method.

I might say something unpopular but I think Babar was so confident that Saud will be in playing 11 as he clearly said during Asia Cup we know what will be our squad.. But he wanted to see Agha vs Iftikhar that's why he was experimenting in Asia Cup.. He doesn't seem stupid where everyone knew he is the best spin player in Pakistan right now and plus a lefty and he'll think about playing two offies and similar type of right handed players

Note:
This thread is about Saud Shakeel. If all of you want to discuss other batters then we have a thread for him as well.

India is not spin heavy. We actually have all the bowling arsenal one can have. This is such a 2010 myth.
well if u look at their spin trio Kuldeep, Jadeja and Ashwin their bowling mostly rely on these 3 specially in sub continent.

And Saud Shakeel is the only one who can handle them in the middle overs.

After Sarfraz we haven’t really had good player of spin who can rotate the strike at will. But have really high hopes for Saud, very sound against spinners.

After Sarfraz we haven’t really had good player of spin who can rotate the strike at will. But have really high hopes for Saud, very sound against spinners.

Saud has one issues that I fear. He will look like a million dollars but will get out in the most softest dismissal possible.

He has been doing so consistently for years. Great player but he really needs to Stop finding the most embrassing ways to get out.

Kinda feel bad for Saud because you are not getting ahead of Babar and Rizwan in the order right now, especially after that SL chase. Just gotta wait your turn, a future #3/#4 for sure hopefully.

Good player but a very nervous runner between the wickets. He has almost been run out twice today, and I remember him getting run-out against Afghanistan in Colombo in a very silly way.
Otherwise he is class

Imam, A.Shafique, Rizwan, Saud --- collective SR < 80

Among Top 8 sides, only we have our batting stacked up with 1990 era batters besides Aus.

These batters performed against Netherlands & depleted SL. Against superior teams, all these batters are LIABILITY.

There was literally sweat on the guys face and he was soo nervous that he almost got run out first ball.

He got out to a nothing delivery. I dont doubt his batting ability, but the fact that he bottled to Indian crowd pressure was embarrassing. Next time if this guy gets dropped, i dont want to hear the bs that oh its karachi domicile.

There was literally sweat on the guys face and he was soo nervous that he almost got run out first ball.

He got out to a nothing delivery. I dont doubt his batting ability, but the fact that he bottled to Indian crowd pressure was embarrassing. Next time if this guy gets dropped, i dont want to hear the bs that oh its karachi domicile.

He can't be dropped on the basis of one bad game and that also on his first major India match.

We can discuss dropping him if he is a serial under performer

He can't be dropped on the basis of one bad game and that also on his first major India match.

We can discuss dropping him if he is a serial under performer
but if this continues in future, he wont survive.

Can’t really blame him. Pakistan knew they had a middle order dilemma for a long time and yet refused to play him. Even in the Asia cup, with the World Cup ahead, they benched him. Can’t expect him to come in the World Cup and play the way he’s expected to play. Not many batsmen can.

Again, Pakistan’s poor planning to blame. This is his 9th game and he was due for a failure.

The warnings were there in county cricket he is a club level cricketer, isn't even first class county level but our think-tank have put him in the intl side .

Don't be critical on saud, it's early days for him. Be angry at babar for zero match practise for saud and Abdullah. You had an entire afg series and Asia cup to groom these guys.

Now you expect them to just haphazardly show up? And perform? Life doesn't work that broskie.

This is babar's fault through and through. Saud and Abdullah needed to be groomed since the NZ series cause their in form and promising whereas fakhar is out of it.

This guy is our best batsman after Babar. He has amazing shot selection and match awareness. One day he will be one of the best players in the world but you have to be patient. Playing the best team in the world, against one of the best bowling attacks In front of 100k people is not easy. He had a bad day without much practice but Be patient he will come good.

Last edited by a moderator:
He must bounce back quickly and I hope he does because if he fails for another couple of games, we may see Agha takes his place that for me would be a step backwards.
Yes it will have to be in the middle phase of this tourney for sure

He looked very anxious even when walking out to the middle.
Lol he’s nothing special he’s not even half the player Umar akmal was and that says a lot. He won’t last he’s already 27 years old just doesn’t have the power to clear the ropes

Lol he’s nothing special he’s not even half the player Umar akmal was and that says a lot. He won’t last he’s already 27 years old just doesn’t have the power to clear the ropes
A batter who’s averaging 25 after 9 innings with only one performance of 68 runs against a joke of a team Sri Lanka on a flat road wicket is considered future “talent”.

Things you only see in Pakistan.

A batter who’s averaging 25 after 9 innings with only one performance of 68 runs against a joke of a team Sri Lanka on a flat road wicket is considered future “talent”.

Haha exactly our fans will hype anything to the moon without any substance. This guy will play one nice looking cover drive and there will be people going gaga over him. Pakistan need substance people averaging 45+ with strike rate of 100 should be bare minimum to start

What’s worse is that those 68 runs were against Netherlands. My mistake.

@JAV12341

Haha exactly our fans will hype anything to the moon without any substance. This guy will play one nice looking cover drive and there will be people going gaga over him. Pakistan need substance people averaging 45+ with strike rate of 100 should be bare minimum to start
I’ve been seeing this guy since the Test series. Not sure how or who got him selected.

He’s exceptionally irritating to watch, bats at a 30-45 SR. I’ve called him worse than Misbah multiple times.

I’ve been seeing this guy since the Test series. Not sure how or who got him selected.

He’s exceptionally irritating to watch, bats at a 30-45 SR. I’ve called him worse than Misbah multiple times.
Exactly the guy is a little weak player who will average 30 at best. he’s more of a Bangladesh type player than a paksitan player. Just a nurdler who knocks the bowl around

Exactly the guy is a little weak player who will average 30 at best. he’s more of a Bangladesh type player than a paksitan player. Just a nurdler who knocks the bowl around
Exactly that.

List-A average of the low 40s. Hasn’t played a domestic List-A match in over 2 years. But suddenly he walked into the ODI & WC with ZERO notable showings in ODIs.

Take a load of this.

Match #DateOpponentGroundDismissalRunsBallsSR
1​
08/07/2021​
England​
Sophia Gardens​
lbw b S Mahmood​
5​
13​
38.46​
5.00​
2​
10/07/2021​
England​
Lord's​
c C Overton b M W Parkinson​
56​
77​
72.73​
30.50​
3​
13/07/2021​
England​
Edgbaston​
not out​
3*​
3​
100.00​
32.00​
4​
29/03/2022​
Australia​
Gaddafi Stadium​
c M Labuschagne b T M Head​
3​
8​
37.50​
22.33​
5​
31/03/2022​
Australia​
Gaddafi Stadium​
did not bat​
-​
-​
-​
22.33​
6​
26/08/2023​
Afghanistan​
R Premadasa Stadium​
run out​
9​
6​
150.00​
19.00​

A guy who was averaging 19.00 walked into the WC squad. Yep! Seems totally legit!

Exactly that.

List-A average of the low 40s. Hasn’t played a domestic List-A match in over 2 years. But suddenly he walked into the ODI & WC with ZERO notable showings in ODIs.

Take a load of this.

Match #DateOpponentGroundDismissalRunsBallsSR
1​
08/07/2021​
England​
Sophia Gardens​
lbw b S Mahmood​
5​
13​
38.46​
5.00​
2​
10/07/2021​
England​
Lord's​
c C Overton b M W Parkinson​
56​
77​
72.73​
30.50​
3​
13/07/2021​
England​
Edgbaston​
not out​
3*​
3​
100.00​
32.00​
4​
29/03/2022​
Australia​
Gaddafi Stadium​
c M Labuschagne b T M Head​
3​
8​
37.50​
22.33​
5​
31/03/2022​
Australia​
Gaddafi Stadium​
did not bat​
-​
-​
-​
22.33​
6​
26/08/2023​
Afghanistan​
R Premadasa Stadium​
run out​
9​
6​
150.00​
19.00​

A guy who was averaging 19.00 walked into the WC squad. Yep! Seems totally legit!

I am surprised people are not scrutinizing the team selection for this World Cup. This is inexcusable.

I am surprised people are not scrutinizing the team selection for this World Cup. This is inexcusable.
Many people don’t really care about our team.

With his 68 against the Netherlands, Saud Shakeel has cemented his place in the squad for the next 20 ODIs. :LOL:

Many “fans” are feeble minded and don’t question the institutions.

With his 68 against the Netherlands, Saud Shakeel has cemented his place in the squad for the next 20 ODIs. :LOL:

Tbh there’s something special Saud Shakeel. I know his numbers don’t do justice, but he should be persisted with. Pakistan has a habit of persisting with irredeemable players like Shadab and Nawaz but yet acting harsh against players with genuine potential. Saud deserves a long robe.

Bro the problem isn't saud shakeel. You can't expect him to perform miracles when pur management hasn't groomed him lol.

If saud was in India, I guarantee you he'd become their version of yuvaraj.

It's because bcci gives players extended ropes, they apply fair selection criteria which is perform to modern day standards. Don't perform you need to go back to domestic and reperform but the management still offers support such as offering support to Sanju sampson lol.

The problem isn't saud, it's the management's way of handling players.

First of saud was your best domestic performer in the circuit and in the sri lanka test series and he also enjoys the top order position and like coming in early as compared to tayyab who likes coming in the middle overs.

However deapite an entire afg series, an NZ series and an Asia cup, he's absent and expected to perform on a pressure stage?

Secondly the managments focus on averages and milestones, so no player seeks to actually attack and improve and play to standards. BCCI wouldn't look at imam's average, they'd slap his face for not playing to the modern mark, but we praise it like tmr.

For all the claims about mickey Arthur that the way saud batted with intent with that 68 is the Pakistan way, it seems hypocritical to state then when you have imam as your opener and you claim he's the top 5 odi bat of the world lol.

Play people out of position + select based of dosti yaari + select based of averages and not modern standards and intent is the key to failure.

Any idiot can avg 50 like imam if they play 2nd string sides and just risk free nudge non stop for easy singles. First string sides never allow you to do that.

He is the one who avgs close to 90 in test cricket right? Imagine him batting against Ashwin & Jadeja in India in red ball cricket. That would be a spectacle.

Saud is a good batman was just not able to handle the preassure i hope he can perform vs Australia is he plays

well if u look at their spin trio Kuldeep, Jadeja and Ashwin their bowling mostly rely on these 3 specially in sub continent.

And Saud Shakeel is the only one who can handle them in the middle overs.
Lol. You have not watched much of Indian cricket. Ashwin has played ODI for years and Jadeja is not a main bowler. He is part of sixth bowling option along with Pandya and Thakur/similar bowler. Only Kuldeep plays as a full time spinner and that too not all matches m

Saud shakeel and abdullah shafique both looks similar to me in batting.. They will score against lower ranked sides and when there's no pressure... Kind of like asad shafique. They won't play impact full inning very often.

Lol. You have not watched much of Indian cricket. Ashwin has played ODI for years and Jadeja is not a main bowler. He is part of sixth bowling option along with Pandya and Thakur/similar bowler. Only Kuldeep plays as a full time spinner and that too not all matches m
Ashwin hasn't played ODI for years

He's playing in the wrong position.

People need to have realistic expectations. As mentioned by @mominsaigol - he hasn't been groomed properly. Should've been playing ODIs 2-3 years ago and given enough exposure before going into this WC but no we'd rather play our full string side against Nepal, Zimbabawe, Ireland, Scotland and etc.

He's a good player and he needs to be given full backing after this WC.

Playing PSL would have helped him immensely. Having practice in pressure situations, against some actual international level bowlers. Because he doesn’t, there will also be doubts he can succeed against non minnow opposition too.

agha, imam and saud are all guys part of LOI without playing regularly in PSL. That’s an issue. They can’t develop their game properly, nor can we really see for sure they are not good enough for internationals. It’s best for Pakistan that any player playing In ODI or t20 cricket plays PSL. It’s just difficult to enforce, as this probably isn’t best for the actual franchises themselves.

Playing PSL would have helped him immensely. Having practice in pressure situations, against some actual international level bowlers. Because he doesn’t, there will also be doubts he can succeed against non minnow opposition too.

agha, imam and saud are all guys part of LOI without playing regularly in PSL. That’s an issue. They can’t develop their game properly, nor can we really see for sure they are not good enough for internationals. It’s best for Pakistan that any player playing In ODI or t20 cricket plays PSL. It’s just difficult to enforce, as this probably isn’t best for the actual franchises themselves.

Pakistan played so many minnows in the last 2 years. They alongside Huraira and Saim Ayub should all have been given match time.

Needed to hurt the Aussie bowlers today.

Run a ball 30 wasn't that sort of innings though.

He looks so ‘bechaara’ out there. Reminds me of Hafeez from early days, plays some lovely shots and then goes out. Maybe time to bring Agha back, he can at least bowl.

People need to understand that saud is an important player but he's a top order batsmen and can lay platforms and accelerate as well at 100+ SR.

Rizwan and Babar aren't doing him any favours. As ramiz raja says, their sending saud to bat in an unfamiliar territory.

Not suprised though, they did this with saim ayub and fakhar in t20 as well.

Honestly babar and rizzu I use to admire, but at what cost? Their the best of our unit because they don't allow anyone else in our unit to be groomed and properly play in position.

You're obviously going to be the best if you prevent anyone else from coming on board.

Look how many times kohli and rohit step down in bilaterals to test new blood lol.

Saud is the best middle order batsman in Pakistan cricket except babar and possibly Rizwan. Once saud clicks he will be unstoppable. People need to have faith. I remember younis khan and yousuf on debut. Even babar. It takes a few years for players to develop confidence and open up.

In younis case he had a great series against India in 2003/2004 but some patchy performances prior. Was never a great odi player.

Yousuf had some ordinary performances in early 2000’s until about 2005

Misbah had a debut in 2000 and nothing till about 2010. Never a great odi player.

All these strange comments…people think a player can just turn up and perform against the likes of Bumrah, starc Cummins etc in front of 100,000 stadiums. It’s a big step. Patience.

I don't know what you expect.

You expect your two best ODI batters to bat as they want while RRR is 8.5 per over but you want Saud Shakeel the newbie to take you home.

I really feel for our new cricketers.

They are asked to split the sea with the strike of their staff like Noah and somehow magically conjure up a win while our two best ODI players are playing lap and paddle at their own pace.

Asad Shafiq 2.0

He should be limited to Test only.
No, I disagree. He has a wide range of shots which indicates that he can perform well as he already showcased his talent in the warm up match against New Zealand.

Saud has shown some really good aspects of his game that we didn’t expect.

Unfortunately my criticism of him is that he’s giving us some unexpected and whacky dismissals too.

People need to understand that saud is an important player but he's a top order batsmen and can lay platforms and accelerate as well at 100+ SR.

Rizwan and Babar aren't doing him any favours. As ramiz raja says, their sending saud to bat in an unfamiliar territory.

Not suprised though, they did this with saim ayub and fakhar in t20 as well.

Honestly babar and rizzu I use to admire, but at what cost? Their the best of our unit because they don't allow anyone else in our unit to be groomed and properly play in position.

You're obviously going to be the best if you prevent anyone else from coming on board.

Look how many times kohli and rohit step down in bilaterals to test new blood lol.
After this World Cup which will surely be unsuccessful, Rizwan and Babar should please now take a back seat or not play at all. Give some of these guys their natural positions for a change and see how they perform.

Saud should be batting 3 or 4.

Saim should open

Etc

Etc

Back