[PICTURES/VIDEOS] Saud Shakeel: Essential Or Liability?

For those who're criticising him Saud Shakeel, you ought to redirect that energy at the likes of Babar, Imam and etc.

I mention Babar because Pakistan have been playing their full string attack against minnows + B/C string bowling attacks against the better teams, so therefore newer players don't get a good run of games. They get just thrown in the deep end.

Judge Saud, until he's played another 10-20 ODIs at least, so we need to cut his some slack. It's difficult for newer players to hit the ground running especially when in a World Cup.

Imam has played 70 ODIs and he can't even handle the short ball against Dutch and Sri Lankan trundlers. His shot range is still very limited. That's why for players like him, you can't hold much faith in them even from the very beginning of their international careers because there's nothing to be excited about. Not even a glimpse of potential.

People need to have realistic expectations. From what I've seen so far of Saud he technically looks good and should be persisted with after this WC even if he fails in the remaining games.

Abdullah Shafique has done quite well with limited exposure and is one for the future if his head remains the right place.

No, I disagree. He has a wide range of shots which indicates that he can perform well as he already showcased his talent in the warm up match against New Zealand.
He is good against spin but will struggle against pacers. He is the younger version of Asad Shafiq.

Saud was playing nicely until he threw his wicket away playing a closed-eye shot. He was looking very comfortable out there. I think it was over confidence that got the better of him.

For those who're criticising him Saud Shakeel, you ought to redirect that energy at the likes of Babar, Imam and etc.

I mention Babar because Pakistan have been playing their full string attack against minnows + B/C string bowling attacks against the better teams, so therefore newer players don't get a good run of games. They get just thrown in the deep end.

Judge Saud, until he's played another 10-20 ODIs at least, so we need to cut his some slack. It's difficult for newer players to hit the ground running especially when in a World Cup.

Imam has played 70 ODIs and he can't even handle the short ball against Dutch and Sri Lankan trundlers. His shot range is still very limited. That's why for players like him, you can't hold much faith in them even from the very beginning of their international careers because there's nothing to be excited about. Not even a glimpse of potential.

People need to have realistic expectations. From what I've seen so far of Saud he technically looks good and should be persisted with after this WC even if he fails in the remaining games.

Abdullah Shafique has done quite well with limited exposure and is one for the future if his head remains the right place.

Saud is a top order batsmen but pur clueless management want him to play the accelerator role. Joke of a management honestly, mickey stating he wants the Pakistan way but we don't have that at the top of the order, you can clearly tell just randomly hitting isn't his natural game, he can be a kumar Sangakara esc batsmen for Pakistan but management won't allow it. This is the difference between Pakistan and India in terms of talent management.

This stats drama bas destroyed our cricket. Babar and rizwan needs to badly go, and I genuinely mean it. These 2 Block pathways especially in t20, and their basically shiny Nokia's in a world where iPhone and Samsung exists.

Impactless players at the top. Babar may be better then fakhar atm and even in the past more consistent, but babar and rizzu have never Ince done what fakhar has done on countless occasions and every fan knows this.

But everyone will be sticking to the whole Babar has a 49 ball 100 in t20 or rizwan played the greatest innings of All time by chasing against Sri Lanka. Like okay bro, sure.

He is good against spin but will struggle against pacers. He is the younger version of Asad Shafiq.
That is not true. Babar and rizwan are Destroying him, like their Destroying saim ayub in t20

He has been good through the tournament and done what he has had to do with the only exception being the game vs India, however I'll give him a pass considering it is a high pressure game

I must admit that he is an entertaining player to watch. He's a crafty little batsman who consistently find gaps, prioritizes team play by taking singles, doubles always looking for boundaries, and also showcases innovation in his batting approach. One potential area of concern I've observed is his power-hitting ability, and if he can further develop this facet of his game, he has the potential to become truly exceptional. Additionally, he tends to attempt too many aerial shots for my personal liking. What do I know I'm just a couch cricket wanna be expert

I must admit that he is an entertaining player to watch. He's a crafty little batsman who consistently find gaps, prioritizes team play by taking singles, doubles always looking for boundaries, and also showcases innovation in his batting approach. One potential area of concern I've observed is his power-hitting ability, and if he can further develop this facet of his game, he has the potential to become truly exceptional. Additionally, he tends to attempt too many aerial shots for my personal liking. What do I know I'm just a couch cricket wanna be expert
Trust me mate, you can coach better then pur current unit of coaches 😂

I've always vouched for saud but I agree. I've been watching him for a long time and his biggest weakness is soft dismissals. He will look like a million dollar but out of nowhere will play a tailender shot and get out cheaply.

It's a weakness he has to work on.
Yup, he's a very good player who could serve Pakistan for many years but not a finished product as yet.

Do you realize how many incredible, yet unutilized, talents India currently has, who could seamlessly fit into any batting lineup? However, it appears that India has firmly established its starting lineup, leaving many promising prospects in the lurch. By tossing Saud into the mix without sufficient match practice, it seems like a sign of desperation and panic, perhaps in the hope that one of these untapped talents might emerge as the next Inzi. He didn't even feature in the ODI series against Afghanistan or the Asia Cup. It's become apparent that we've invested in the wrong group of players for far too long.

I truly hold great admiration for Babar as a batsman, but his eventual downfall as a captain may be attributed to his tendency to favor his friends over deserving players he may not have a personal affinity for.

He'll show his class today - I'm having those feelings.

So far batted excellent.

Time for him to shine! Century maybe?

Expecting Saud to go till the last over and prove his worth in that middle order. He is playing well today but he needs to be careful as he can through wicket away when he is comfortable.

He's been a breath of fresh air at this World Cup.

Great attitude and shown the more experienced guys in the squad how to bat.

He's been a breath of fresh air at this World Cup.

Great attitude and shown the more experienced guys in the squad how to bat.

Pity he didn't get an extended run prior to the WC

Out for 52.

But great knock under pressure. He should have been selected 2 years ago but it's still not too late.

He should get an extended run -- Imam should be DROPPED forever, Babar maybe should open.

Saud should bat at #3. Or at max #4 -- kick out Rizwan or drop him to #5.

Even after scoring a well made 50, the guy ends up getting out like a tailender. How does he manage to play such extraordinary bad shots even when we'll set.

Even after scoring a well made 50, the guy ends up getting out like a tailender. How does he manage to play such extraordinary bad shots even when we'll set.

Yet you're so desperate that after a decent knock under pressure, you manage to criticize him.

It's his first few international ODIs.

He's already played better than PAK's best batsman Babar.

The more matches he plays the better he will get.

Yet you're so desperate that after a decent knock under pressure, you manage to criticize him.

It's his first few international ODIs.

He's already played better than PAK's best batsman Babar.

The more matches he plays the better he will get.
I had posted it during the warm ups that he seems like a real deal, has got good shots in his armour but somehow gets out to a tailender shot. My view hasn't changed.

A proper batsman unlike most that have played for Pakistan over the years. Can actually match Baba Azam shot for shot and exceed him when it comes to inventiveness.

Damn.

The way he speaks -- mature and clear-headed -- he's actually a captaincy candidate.

But that'll be an additional burden on his specialty - batting.

Damn.

The way he speaks -- mature and clear-headed -- he's actually a captaincy candidate.

But that'll be an additional burden on his specialty - batting.
And yet was sent before him!

Last edited by a moderator:
Saud Abdullah and Saim should be three format players for Pakistan.

Saud must be selected in the PSL so he can develop his game.

Should be at 3. Babar should be pushed to 4 and Rizwan should be pushed to domestics

Babar should open the innings with Fakhar/another hitter.

Saud ideally should play at #3 or max #4.

Either Babar or Rizwan has to make space for him.

He looks like a well organised batsman. Not really a big hitter, but for 50 over games you need proper batsmen, not yahoos who will bang one six then get out hitting across the line.

One thing I didn't like, in his interview he looked far too happy with getting a fifty, he was the last batsman, he should have been going until the end. I only caught the second half of his interview, maybe he expressed disappointment at not guiding Pakistan to the end earlier on.

The guy has a knack of throwing it away when set.. he has had too many soft dismissal even in domestics.. he really needs to work on that other than that he’s pretty organized for a Pakistani batsman ..

Can be handy in AUS tests in a couple of months time. Might be key in helping draw a test for Pkaistan who knows?

Speaking after the innings, Saud Shakeel said:

"That the batting order change was not known, the decision was the management's."

"In the beginning the ball was gripping, this pitch is very different from the previous match, I am happy to score a half century."

"Spinners are getting good bounce on this pitch, they will try to get early wickets, if they get early wickets, they will win the match."

I think he should have been batting at number 3 during this World Cup.

He has looked Pakistan's best batter and looked confident and in good form.

Despite my criticism of his happy attitude at getting a fifty instead of showing disappointment at not seeing it through as the last standing batsman, he still looks a decent bat by Pakistani standards. Confident both sides of the wicket and plays proper shots. Done enough to cement a place in the longer formats anyway.

Very good player of spin and looks very comfortable out there. But the issue is like it has always been with pakistani players; getting out at the wrong time after getting a 30, 40 or a 50. Would have loved a 90 not out from him today and the score would have been close to 300. Anyways, he scored a good 50 under preassure.

I'd swap his position with Rizwan's. He's clearly capable. Him and Abdullah Shafique are welcome additions to the team.

If we are unable to unearth competent power players (not hacks), then it is essential that the quality is towards the top of the order. Rizwan performs for us but Saud looks more assured as a top order bat. Rizzy can be a bit of a cat on a hot tin-roof, if he cashes in, all is good and well - when he doesn't he looks susceptible to going cheaply and throwing it away. I don't think you'd get that with Saud.

Rizwan would be more suitable and probably be more effective lower down.

Very good player of spin and looks very comfortable out there. But the issue is like it has always been with pakistani players; getting out at the wrong time after getting a 30, 40 or a 50. Would have loved a 90 not out from him today and the score would have been close to 300. Anyways, he scored a good 50 under preassure.
Because he’s always shoved down the order batting with tail Enders so puts extra pressure on him. His slot is all mixed up.

When the spinners are bowling and wickets fall early they send ifti but the best player of spin is Saud he’s coming in at 6 with Shadab for company. Saud should come at 3 or 4. It’s awful to see such a classical batsman having to
Improvise with lap shots. Arc3 he can settle in and play like markram did today

Reactions: IAJ
Scored a 50 and then threw it away. At least make 80-90 runs if you can’t make a hundred.

Scored a 50 and then threw it away. At least make 80-90 runs if you can’t make a hundred.

Sorry where was this energy for Misbah? How many hundreds did he score in ODIs?

I'm not saying Saud will be the real deal but he's just been thrown in the deep end. He hasn't had much exposure to ODI cricket. He needs more game time before we can judge his worth. So far from what I've seen he's technically pretty good and shows good intent. Also, he should be batting ahead of Rizwan at number 4.

Saud should have batted throughout the innings. Very poor dismissal for a well set batsman. It cost Pakistan the match.

Sorry where was this energy for Misbah? How many hundreds did he score in ODIs?

I'm not saying Saud will be the real deal but he's just been thrown in the deep end. He hasn't had much exposure to ODI cricket. He needs more game time before we can judge his worth. So far from what I've seen he's technically pretty good and shows good intent. Also, he should be batting ahead of Rizwan at number 4.
I would go out on a limb and say he will make more meaningful runs, if not more aggregate runs, if he bats at 3. Not that that will happen but that’s his natural batting position. Did well today and shouldn’t be blamed too much.

I just don’t understand how Babar and the team management allow Rizwan and Iftikhar to bat ahead of Saud?!

I just don’t understand how Babar and the team management allow Rizwan and Iftikhar to bat ahead of Saud?!
That was total nonsense decision.

Might be babar wanted to potray that i am thinking out of the box as a captain and here we go! it came out as a blunder.

That was total nonsense decision.

Might be babar wanted to potray that i am thinking out of the box as a captain and here we go! it came out as a blunder.
Be honest

In terms of batting quality, how does Rizwan bat ahead of Saud? There is a CLEAR gulf in the quality/skill of both players

This is like Brett Lee batting ahead of Micheal Hussey

The guy has a knack of throwing it away when set.. he has had too many soft dismissal even in domestics.. he really needs to work on that other than that he’s pretty organized for a Pakistani batsman ..

Yep, that is a worrying aspect of his game and it's always been there. Would be fine if it was just one or two international matches but he's been doing that in domestics too. Loses his concentration after a good start.

Not really convinced with more fat, less muscle Shakeel but will still persist with him.

1) Babar
2) Saim
3) Saud
4) Rizwan
5) ?
6) Iftikhar

Yep, that is a worrying aspect of his game and it's always been there. Would be fine if it was just one or two international matches but he's been doing that in domestics too. Loses his concentration after a good start.
And nobody seems to bothered about it. This needs to at least recognized by the management if not addressed. They all hail him including the Pandits that how beautifully he plays without realizing that he almost every time throws it away after getting set. He needs to work on this aspect of his game if he wants to be a match winner.

Be honest

In terms of batting quality, how does Rizwan bat ahead of Saud? There is a CLEAR gulf in the quality/skill of both players

This is like Brett Lee batting ahead of Micheal Hussey
Because rizwan is the best no 4 in world cricket. Makram can only dream of becoming like rizwan 👀

Yes and quite often at key moments in the game and to nothing deliveries also.

Yes and quite often at key moments in the game and to nothing deliveries also.
I understand. But with 0 investment made him in, he has still looked better than Imam, Iftikhar and Babar. An average of 35 and SR or 105 is nothing to sniff at. He needs to be invested in and persisted with.

This.
Saud should be judged after 10-15 ODIs. He has shown decent potential so far for our standards

Play saud at 4, not the ceo of the biggest fraud company on the planet 😭😭.

Who the heck appointed rizzu as director. That's the equivalent of appointing jim carrey the ceo of Microsoft, some looney toon stuff will go on.

Saud just needs to learn to keep his wicket safe. Because he throws away his wicket only when he is looking elegant and comfortable. The concentration level should be kept high whenever he comes to a point where he scoring freely. He losses focus and falls;

Saud is a class bat but has the 2nd funniest dismissals after nawaz

Saud Shakeel is another batsman in the Pakistani batting lineup who should develop some shots in his game in order to be successful in white ball cricket at international level. No team playing at this level can afford too many player who play with a strike-rate of around 80. He has scored some decent runs in this world cup but he must improve his strike-rate going forward.

Saud needs to stay a bit calm when he arrives at the crease becuase when he comes in middle overs so most of the times i found him playing stupid shots to get runs quickly, and in due course most of the times he gets out in awkward manner.

He can bat at #4 in ODIs, but he’s not a late order hitter and shouldn’t be used in that way.

In Test Cricket, Saud will be in our plans for the next 5 years.

He is a good batsman for our standards and should be batting at #4 in ODIs and #5 in Tests.
Dont know whats wrong with him in ODIs

Even though he is a very good test player so adapting to ODIs should have been quite easy for him.

He is someone who is hesitant to hit over the top to clear the field when the opposition has fielders in the ring. This culture in our batting line up needs to change. You cannot allow the opposition bowlers to bowl six deliveries out of six at one spot.

Saud Shakeel speaking to a local channel:

“In my opinion, my dream of playing for Pakistan in the World Cup has been somewhat fulfilled. If we look at our performance, it has been on and off as a team, and we haven’t been particularly outstanding overall. However, this has been a good learning experience for me.”

“Whenever you go on a tour, you prepare according to it and try to prepare according to the scenario and test you are going to face there. I don’t think that I have to score a century or be the top scorer; my personal goal is that whenever I perform, my performance should lead to my team’s victory.”

“If you are talking about the age group of cricket, yes, I have captained in the past for my age group, but I am not thinking about these things right now because I am still in the early phase of my career and I don’t need to think about such things.”​

Saud Shakeel's statement reflects a mature and team-oriented mindset. He is right in saying that he is not thinking about captaincy. Yes, he should not be thinking about it. He should be focusing on his performance and contributing to the team's win.

His biggest test in International Cricket to begin now.

He wasn't convincing against short pitch bowling in India apart from the Netherlands. Definitely he will be getting some questions in and around the ear.

Back