Players who suffered because of playing for an associate or smaller cricketing nation.

BunnyRabbit

T20I Debutant
Runs
Post of the Week
By no means is it meant to be a derogatory post as no country is better or worse. I was just looking at the scorecard of the ongoing NZvsNL series, and it has been pretty sad for them to not be playing in the WC.

Moreover, there has been some real big talents who have played for either associate nations or countries where cricket isn't that strong. Who do you think are the guys who have suffered the most due to this.

Excluding here will be the SA team during the Apartheid, as everyone knows that crop of players had some of the biggest names during that era and they swiftly made their mark after they were allowed to play again.

The current era of franchise cricket and global t20 leagues has given players from associate nations a chance into a spotlight, which has certainly been better than not getting any exposure at all.

For me, the list has to be:

1. Ryan ten Doeschate
A player who oozes talent and looks like he could walk into any team in any format.(Talking about his prime), has extremely good domestic numbers, is suited for all the formats and could have been a certain great if his international career wasn't stifled due to lack of international games. A batting allrounder of the top echelon of the last 2 decades.

2. Brendan Taylor
Yes I know Zim is a Test nation, but I think Taylor was born 15 years too late. You look at him, he carries an aura that none of his team mates do. Talent wise, he is clearly the best Zimbabwe product since their golden age ended. Even with the limited resources, poor facilities and ever growing board and payments disputes, he has been a shining light for Zim, has led them to numerous wins. If only he had played the majority of his career in 90s, he could have been the second best Zimbabwean batter of all time after Andy Flower.

3. Kevin O' Brien
An impact player through and through. Played impact knocks both with bat and bowl on numerous occasions. The fastest WC 100, the first Irish centurion and half centurion, the first person in Natwest t20 to be involved in a double century opening stand. It's pretty certain, he could have made any other team and would have been a far bigger name than he is if he played for England, SA or NZ.

Who do you think are the other potential greats that can make this list.

Back