Pro Bats

It had an interesting profile, what with those grooves down the back. Yes, I believe Cook was 'using' the Xiphos before the Oblivion range came out.

Suddenly I'm not entirely sure that Alastair Cook's bat is the same shape as a normal Oblivion. I was reading the March edition of the Wisden Cricketer and while it said in a bit about his bat that he came up with the Oblivion name, it said that he'd had the wood distributed out towards the edges more, giving the bat a less concave and more convex profile.

Had a look back at photos and it's otherwise inconclusive.
124347.jpg

Also, he's said to enjoy messing around down at Gray Nicolls' workshop in Sussex and that he even answers the phone when he's visiting.

ALSO: a not so informative video with him speaking to Ian Healy about his bat.
http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/alastair-cook-s-bat/xt7zhnn

This bat is quite like Oblivion indeed.

I had heard Oblivion was Cook's profile just like Flare being Watson's

umm this question was probably answered b4 but what company manufactures sachin tendulkar's bat?

i hear sg, ss, bdm, or bas

do u guys kno who does them?

Samaraweera was using a Gray Nicolls stickered up as an SS today vs England.

After seeing profile shot of Dilshan's TRD we can safely say he indeed uses stock shape :D

133650.jpg

what weight do you recon he uses 2.10?
those iridium? shoes look interesting

They're from that glorified beer match series called the IPL.

Sangakkara's Calibre Tricks on the other hand are awesomesauce.

Sami, Dilshan's spikes were only made for IPL right ? I guess Puma is looking to do something big in India.

Ammo, I reckon Dilshan doesn't use anything more than 2.11ish.

Graeme Smith had a pair of black and silver adidas Twenty2 Yds to match his Pune Warriors kit - ridiculement!

Wow, those look class and as you said with Pune's outfit they would have looked even better!

Smithy is class indeed ;-)

those don't look like the twenty2yds...probably some trainers that he got spiked

They're Twenty2 Yds Lite IV, only in black and silver rather than white and red.

CD i think there must be something in SS bats that make them so appealing to pro's anyone with a SS care to shed some light....

all the SS range of bats seem to have a similar sort of profile but it seems to be working for them and for all the players using the bats. would like to see someone get the SS Dragon and review it.

Recently saw a warm up/practice match Sri Lanka V English lions. Most of the Sri Lankan players had kit bags full of SS Ton bats.

I think a lot of Sri Lankan and Indian players use SS.

Even Lendl Simmons from WI

Last edited:
Interesting wearing Gray Nicolls Nitro pads, I think Razzaq might have gone back to AS, he has been with AS using there bats etc since he made debut I think

Interesting wearing Gray Nicolls Nitro pads, I think Razzaq might have gone back to AS, he has been with AS using there bats etc since he made debut I think

The pads prolly belong to one of the other Leicestershire players since he only just turned up.

Oh com on!! This is definitely not Icon!!! It is more of Flare, don't understand why he is not going with Flare stickers to be honest.

133969.jpg

It's not really about him going with Flare or Icon stickers, it's more about what GM wants him to endorse. It has a lot to do with where a player sits in respect to the product lines; for example, you're unlikely to see someone like Johnathan Trott endorsing the Flare anytime soon.

That GM is a twig, unless it weighs 2lb 4 ou or less maybe acceptable. This looks like a girls under 10 bat.

Interesting he is wearing Under Armour spikes, did not know they are making cricket spikes.

They don't, they're spiked up trainers.

And what's with the first comment? Size isn't everything.

It's not really about him going with Flare or Icon stickers, it's more about what GM wants him to endorse. It has a lot to do with where a player sits in respect to the product lines; for example, you're unlikely to see someone like Johnathan Trott endorsing the Flare anytime soon.

I know but I don't think it will matter if he uses Flare instead of Icon, will it ?

He uses what he's given by Gunn & Moore, I'd gather.

Trainers are spiked up by virtue of an additional sole plate being attached, upon which spikes are added.

He uses what he's given by Gunn & Moore, I'd gather.

Trainers are spiked up by virtue of an additional sole plate being attached, upon which spikes are added.

I'm sure he has a say in what he want to use :)

Ah okay it seems a nice idea :)

By the way, Sami he is wearing GM socks :D

Spiked up runners are more comfortable, but offer a bit less protection due to the mesh that helps the foot breath, which is found on most runners.

where do you get runners spiked it may seem weird australia isn't the best when it comes to gear

If you live in Brisbane here is a website: http://www.fbutd.com/

A couple of the QLD Bulls players own it I'm pretty sure. I live close to their Logan Hyperdomw address, but I'm pretty sure they are based near GCCC in Albion

You can either buy runners from them and have them spike them straight away, or you can send in a pair of your runners to be spiked, which is pretty good.

Last edited:
If you live in Brisbane here is a website: http://www.fbutd.com/

A couple of the QLD Bulls players own it I'm pretty sure. I live close to their Logan Hyperdomw address, but I'm pretty sure they are based near GCCC in Albion

Saw the website and it is quite interesting, I mean conversion shoes into spikes, I heard it for the first time!

Didn't knew Brett Lee would be using it.

Saw the website and it is quite interesting, I mean conversion shoes into spikes, I heard it for the first time!

Didn't knew Brett Lee would be using it.

Alot of them do. Most wear them in the field as they would be much comfier and then they bat in regular cricket shoes because they offer a little bit more protection. Johnson is another bowler I know that uses them.

The one that I put up would be more for an Australian buyer as Australian cricket goods tend to cost a bit more than their UK counterparts. But they are a good company, although I dont have any, I have a few mates who have them and they are quality.

Case and point

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/110034864/Getty-Images-Sport

They are just normal Asics that have been spiked up. He also bats in them. Another one is Hussey.

Regular runners, two batting and the other fielding

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/107873236/Getty-Images-Sport
http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/107858924/Getty-Images-Sport
http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/107896937/Getty-Images-Sport

The shoes that look like they have a black or cream coloured sole with stiching on the bottom, are the ones that have been spiked up.

http://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/107673221/Getty-Images-Sport

Last edited:
I think Cameron White uses spiked up trainers also.

Interesting to note that it's mostly Aussie players that do this. I think the whole England team is using Adidas footwear, I believe. Oh wait no, Eoin Morgan wears Asics.

Didn't see them as he got out soon but I think they were Boom Boom because I only saw top hat which looked Boom Boomish.

Afridi was using SS bat today, he made it too obvious by not covering the side stamp.

2 Hampshire players(openers) were using SS bat with their sponsors stickers. Afridi was using same bat he had used in WC semi final match. The other opener also used SS bat and covered the TON with lots of fibre tape on it. You could only see it if u watch the match in High Definition.

2 Hampshire players(openers) were using SS bat with their sponsors stickers. Afridi was using same bat he had used in WC semi final match. The other opener also used SS bat and covered the TON with lots of fibre tape on it. You could only see it if u watch the match in High Definition.

I agree with Majid here.

Both Lumb and Afridi were using SS bats.

BUT I don't know if Afridi had same bat as World Cup Semi-Final.

Anyone else noticed Umar Akmal was wearing GM pads, they didn't look painted because the logo was not covered and look a professional job!

He probably does use a light bat, but you can't base that on the picture. Trott would have one of the, if not the biggest shoulder on his bats.

Trott's bat edges are not massive but if you see you will notice the the edges are slightly thick throughout the blade.

Langer, nahh mate I'd say Tendulkar's shoulders are thickest.

I saw few Pakistani pros bat the other day (Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Taufeeq Umar, Hammad Azam and few others) and to be honest I found nothing special in them. In fact, I am not lying but I would say I have seen better looking bats on forum than the ''pro'' ones I saw.

True, I meant in comparison to the rest of his bat, with the smaller edges you'd expect it to taper off at the shoulders, but it looks as if it is bigger than the rest of the bat.

CD bhai, do you think Pakistani "pro" batsmen are at a disadvantage in batting at international standards, because they don't have good bats?

CD bhai, do you think Pakistani "pro" batsmen are at a disadvantage in batting at international standards, because they don't have good bats?

I won't say they don't have good bats, in fact, Pakistani players get bats from all parts of the world so there is no disadvantage for them to be honest :)

Trott's bat edges are not massive but if you see you will notice the the edges are slightly thick throughout the blade.

Langer, nahh mate I'd say Tendulkar's shoulders are thickest.

I saw few Pakistani pros bat the other day (Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq, Taufeeq Umar, Hammad Azam and few others) and to be honest I found nothing special in them. In fact, I am not lying but I would say I have seen better looking bats on forum than the ''pro'' ones I saw.

Lots of people have tried to explain to you that players use normal bats just like us. There bats are made frm same English Willow trees as our bats are made of. They dont get bats any better than the rest of us! maybe they get a lower desity cleft at a push but many of us have them as well.
I have seen and used many players bats and they didnt really impress me coz they were just normal bats like my bats are. Most of my bats outperformed the pro bats. I've have even sold some of my bats to a current test player and most of my bats impressed the test player but I didnt sell him the top ones. He bought 2/3 cheap ones of me that performed.
Most important point, these players represent Pakistan because of there ability/talent and not because they have most expensive, best looking, best quality bats. But all in all it not the bat its the player, bats are a tool but the batsman is the tradesman

Last edited:
Most of my bats outperformed the pro bats.

I've have even sold some of my bats to a current test player and most of my bats impressed the test player but I didnt sell him the top ones. He bought 2/3 cheap ones of me that performed.

How do u know that for sure?

Which player or what bat did you sell to him?

Back