Regional One-Day Cup | Jan 25 - Feb 11, 2018 | Islamabad/Rawalpindi/Peshawar | Discussion Thread

Do you really think Zeeshan Malik would have been selected with his domestic stats by anyteam, atleast he was in contention when he was in emerging category?
if you put him in a good category knowing his value as a t20 player then definitely many franchises will think over it.But again it should be a senior quota rather than junior quota.
If you are putting hafiz in top quota despite zero out put in last PSL then what can be done.

Like you know you are giving franchises the impression that these are juniors and can only be put in their own quota with not much to offer while in fact they can offer more than many in top category....and franchises has to work on this....LQ has done well this time if i am not wrong.

Prehistoric pace bowlers in second semi-final of Regional One Day Cup 2018

Following are the ages of the pace bowlers playing in the ongoing regional cup's second semi-final.

Saad Altaf - 34 years
Ataullah - 32 years
Yasir Ali - 32 years
Shehzad Azam - 32 years
Ahmed Bashir - 22 years
Hamza Nadeem - 31 years.

Only Bashir is in the age group of pace bowlers that can/should be selected for the national team.

My question is: have youngsters stopped bowling pace in Pakistan, or does something need to change in the domestic selection policies?

Happy Saud Shakeel and Zeeshan Malik played good knocks.

Bashir was okay but he didn't really standout.

Also look at QEA final

Muhammad Asif 35 year old
Waqas Mahmood 30 year old
Wahab Riaz - 32 year old
Samiullah Khan-35 year old
Even that 25 year old Azizullah looked really poor.

Our fast bowling talent is really hopeless for test cricket, it's a bigger concern that our batting. They might survive in LOIs but you need to be skillful enough with pace to survive in test cricket.

Last edited:
Following are the ages of the pace bowlers playing in the ongoing regional cup's second semi-final.

Saad Altaf - 34 years
Ataullah - 32 years
Yasir Ali - 32 years
Shehzad Azam - 32 years
Ahmed Bashir - 22 years
Hamza Nadeem - 31 years.

Only Bashir is in the age group of pace bowlers that can/should be selected for the national team.

My question is: have youngsters stopped bowling pace in Pakistan, or does something need to change in the domestic selection policies?

No, maybe your mindset needs to change.

Players ought to be picked on merit, not age.

No, maybe your mindset needs to change.

Players ought to be picked on merit, not age.

Sadaf Hussain has a better List A record than ALL the bowlers who played for Rawalpindi today....

He was only selected for Rawalpindi as a replacement for Umar Amin and thus could only play 3 matches of the tournament - Once Amin returned to the squad, he was discarded.

And these are Pakistani ages. Add 3-5 years for the actual age.

So you name two youngsters but ignore the best performing one. :ifti

He does qualify for youngster quota though, at 27, still has about 15 years to represent PAK.
[MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION], bro can you post Saud's batting clip - 9 boundaries in between 11-35 overs out of 70 takes lots of class & placement; kid comes from Wengar school - does play on grass mostly.

He does qualify for youngster quota though, at 27, still has about 15 years to represent PAK.
[MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION], bro can you post Saud's batting clip - 9 boundaries in between 11-35 overs out of 70 takes lots of class & placement; kid comes from Wengar school - does play on grass mostly.

Full innings:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4kXO__o4Iks" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Full innings:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4kXO__o4Iks" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He probably is in the same mold as Rahane.. i wouldn't be hoping too much in LOIs but looks a great prospect for test cricket

What a game - Pindi almost chased 380, but for the top 3. MoHa’s over all SR isn’t too bad but he takes lot more time to get start. 48 (44) in the context of 380 chase is like 35 (38) in a chase of 300 - that’s nothing innings & that had been his entire career in chasing. I think, apart from 85 at Dhaka & 54 at Ahmedabad, I can’t recall a single innings of note from him in chase.

I think, instead of emerging quota, PAK probably should apply senior quota in every level - maximum allowable 30+ players in a XI. It’s a shame that Saad Altaf is still opening bowling in a major domestic SF.

I don't understand how Saad Altaf was a primary selection for Rawalpindi ahead of Sadaf, who they picked only as a temporary replacement for Amin.

SSerror861.jpg

He probably is in the same mold as Rahane.. i wouldn't be hoping too much in LOIs but looks a great prospect for test cricket

He is better than many, many sucking at PAK middle order for ages, trust me. If you are to judge batsmen from spread sheet only, then probably you don't need even Coach - pick 11 from last seasons domestics and they should know what to do on field.

Since CT, there were 10 ODI's to invest on 3/4 kids (Farhan, Talat, Saud, may be Aga Salman in UAE), which went to players might not be fit enough by 2019 (physical fitness, as player was proved to be obsolete in 2013 CT or 2012-13 tour of IND). Now, ZIM/IRL is coming to cash on .......

[MENTION=133760]Abdullah719[/MENTION], bro any highlights for LO legend in the making, Shan Masood?

Hafeez cost the match with another useless 48 and run out of Amin(didn't watch that) but must be Hafeez's mistake.

He was unlucky with the run out, a straight drive from Hafeez got deflected by Raza Hasan and Amin was backing up at non strikers end.

He is better than many, many sucking at PAK middle order for ages, trust me. If you are to judge batsmen from spread sheet only, then probably you don't need even Coach - pick 11 from last seasons domestics and they should know what to do on field.

Since CT, there were 10 ODI's to invest on 3/4 kids (Farhan, Talat, Saud, may be Aga Salman in UAE), which went to players might not be fit enough by 2019 (physical fitness, as player was proved to be obsolete in 2013 CT or 2012-13 tour of IND). Now, ZIM/IRL is coming to cash on .......

i am sure he is better than many in the team now. Pak middle order is nothing to boast about. But i did not comment about him looking at score sheet.. i looked at the posted video and he seems to be a technically correct batsman in the mold of Rahane. he will be an excellent addition to Pak test team and a good addition if he bats in top three/four for pakistan. But Pakistan already have number of players of his type, Babar, Harris and others.. So he may not offer much more than what existing players are offering. Of course, i could be wrong and some of you who have watched him more intently be better judge

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FvGhsbwRckM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>.

He was dropped a few times and dismissed off a no-ball. :)

It was a similar situation when he got his National T20 cup ton too. However I don't know how many times he got a reprieve in the rest of the matches.

i am sure he is better than many in the team now. Pak middle order is nothing to boast about. But i did not comment about him looking at score sheet.. i looked at the posted video and he seems to be a technically correct batsman in the mold of Rahane. he will be an excellent addition to Pak test team and a good addition if he bats in top three/four for pakistan. But Pakistan already have number of players of his type, Babar, Harris and others.. So he may not offer much more than what existing players are offering. Of course, i could be wrong and some of you who have watched him more intently be better judge

I fully understand from where you are coming.

I explained the situation in another thread of M Bevan - why he had a short Test career. It was not because he was poor (against short staff) or there was nepotism; simply the guy didn't get enough chances to prove himself in that star studded line-up. Same goes for Rahne - he is a Bombay boy, with a FC average at one point almost 70; can't be that he is poor against spin and maintained those numbers - but he might have to adjust few things in his game, which easily could have done had he got the chance in IND team early - but, he had to wait for some of the best in business, so no hard feelings there. And same goes for ODI as well - he hardly got the chance in ODI team - give him 35-36 ODI at No. 4, he is good enough to make them count.

Coming to PAK youngsters (not only Saud), there might be lots of short comings in their game, but batting development is a continuous process - you learn every day & learn to counter different situations. What is key is the natural ability, personality traits and batting fundamentals, and obviously that one gets the chance at right age & gets the proper guidance to develop. Young man has a natural sweet timing & placement, and a good range of shots around 360. What he might lack is power, and obviously experience at highest level. But, he is not 35 pretending to be 29, among very few PAK players I believe thus guy is genuine or near genuine in age, so time is at his side - if he is given regular chances at 3 (flanked by openers & may be Hari 4, Sarfraz at 5), there is no reason why he can't transform his game in a year or 2.

Normally, if there is a great team, often it results in generation gap - because great teams are built with 5/6/7 greats, everyone blocks the path for next man for a decade. It has happened to many teams, not only in cricket but other sports as well. Look at Laker or Bulls team now or that French, Dutch or German team in soccer. Problem is that, those team (s) faced a generation gap for Kobe, MJ, Pippen, Henrey, Zidane, Pires, Cruyff, Neskiens, Gulit, Basten, Rijkard, Klinsmann, Mathus, Haesler, Voelar ....... for PAK, this generation gap is happening for Misbah, MoHa, Malik, Azhar, Wahab, Irfaaaan, Gul ......

Last edited:

Rahane doesnt have that many shots, this kid chased 320 odd in this tournament scoring 134 not out. He has the ability to play all around the wicket and he is pretty good technically as well and is a very handy left arm spinner (Can be categorized as batting all rounder)

Anybody knows when is Hafeez gonna give his bowling test?

Why is Saad ali guy not in the scores so far?

He hasn't reached double figures yet in this tournament! 0, 7, 4, 4

To be fair, once he came in to bat right at the death and another time, he was forced to open the innings (he isn't a top order batsman) because Shan Masood was away for the Multan Sultans exhibition match.

Still, he's had a VERY poor List A season. 9 innings, 142 runs and average 20.

Back