[Report] PCB contact Misbah-ul-Haq for position of Head Coach for Pakistan

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
As per a report.

Would that be a good decision? or a disastrous one for Pakistan cricket leading into the T20 World Cup?

Misbah's previous stint as Head Coach:

On 4 September 2019, Misbah was appointed as the head coach for Pakistan cricket team as well as chief selector on a 3-year contract. This is the first time someone had simultaneously held both positions in Pakistan cricket.

This started well for Misbah who won the One-day international series 2–0. But then in the T20 series Sri Lanka pulled off a shock result and whitewashed Pakistan.[50] Afterwards he led the team in Australia where they lost the test series 2–0.

In October 2020, he resigned as chief selector of Pakistan national cricket team.[53] His first tour as just the head coach came against New Zealand where Pakistan were beaten 2–0.

After this he led Pakistan to their first Test series win against South Africa since 2003.

On 6 September 2021, Misbah resigned as the head coach of Pakistan.

The test team would improve while the odi and t20 team would die and cease to exist.

Last edited by a moderator:
He was an absolute disaster. Please not again.

He talks a good game on TV, knows his stuff, but shouldn't be near the running of our national team because when he is in authority he seems to forget all he preaches on TV.

How quickly have the PCB went from Mike Hesson, Langer and Kirsten to Misbah by the way?

@topspin @Rana

All you boys. Waiting for your amazing review.
Don’t mind it. The more he takes the job, the more chances of him completely nailing his own coffin when it comes to having influence on Pakistan cricker

Sooner or later, his negative influence will die once and for all

He was terminated close to a T20WC and would be glorious if he makes a come back before the next one. Life in a full circle for Misbah.

Since then all we have seen is musical chairs with the head coach position which has been very detrimental to our cricket. Player power increased, fitness levels dropped and our cricket was left on auto pilot with qudrat ka nizam kicking in.

Misbah will instill the much needed discipline this team lacks and is the need of the hour. Stability breeds success he needs to be backed and given a long stint.

Rather have a coach who has won stuff as coach. I don’t think misbah even has much coaching experience.

I’d take even a domestic Pakistani coach who has won domestic trophies. Even in PSL I would have taken Dean Jones based on his PSL success. I’d love Andy flower who was qualified even before PSL began, but you can see the impressive job he did for Multan.

Instead we always pick these guys who don’t win. Mickey came because he failed in other countries. Was terrible in PSL with the best squad often. When he was in demand and winning he probably didnt want Pakistan.

We also never should have kept Misbah as captain in ODIs. We were losing all the time in that format. Any change would have been better just to see. It really couldn’t have got any worse there. Instead because of his test success we just tolerated him for ODI captain.

I’d be really open to a hungry domestic coach who is performing. I’m sure they’d do a better job in strengthening us in Asia where we play 70% of our matches. Some foreign coaches like Mickey don’t even know how to play in Asia, choosing not to pick a second spinner when it was obviously needed on pitches for spin. Need to focus on becoming a force at home before focusing on away. But we rush to these foreign coaches thinking they can get us a 1 test win against Australia as a consolation for a lost series. I want a coach who can turn us into a force at home first. And I wouldn’t be surprised if the domestic coach with more experience in Pakistani conditions is more suited.

This all too predictiable from The PCB. Foreign coaches won't touch them after what happened to Micky and the leaks about Watson's salary.

They were bound to go back to Misbah cap in hand. A more sensible choice would be Abdur Rehman as been part of the coaching set up recently but guess he is not glamorous enough.

Misbah is going to cause the team to lose to usa and Canada lol.
Tbh bro, there is no gaurentee that Pakistan would win against anyone under any coach. They are a extremely poor side when it’s not their day.

The problem with Misbah is his poor strategy. He will handicap a good side with stupid strategies.

Tbh bro, there is no gaurentee that Pakistan would win against anyone under any coach. They are a extremely poor side when it’s not their day.

The problem with Misbah is his poor strategy. He will handicap a good side with stupid strategies.
They didn't have to be?

When fakhar was opening he was in solid form, his form suffered as soon as he moved to no 3 and no 4 and it reflected In odi as well, fans just want xonsistent rizwan 25 of 25's rather then a player who fails but actually takes risks and can achieve high risk high reward.

The thing is bcci is capable of identifying medicore but promising players like rohit sharma, Kl Rahul, Sanju Sampson etc etc and turning them into world class players by simply adopting right strategies and coaches + preparing proper pitches.

If you watch the Dhoni movie, Dhoni was horrible in his first few matches, the standards of international were too high compared to the cricket he was use to in domestic, when he watched yuvi play in domestic he thought yubi was Peak, only to realise that in international their were players much better then yuvi.

However despite being afraid of being dropped, management just identified his weaknesses, and got him his childhood coach and brought him up to standards.

What was once a medicore basher ended up turning into one of the greatest finishers of the game and an atg captain.

Pakistan doesn't do that, Theirs a reason usman Khan is afraid and unsure of playing for Pakistan. He knows that if he fails for 1 or 2 games, management isn't going to persist, they'll just press the ban button. And his chances of uae will be botched. It doesn't help you have certain members on this form who still think usman Khan is somehow a failure and rizwan is 100x superior.

According to @PakEngFan Despite usman Khan and rizwam playing for the sane team, Rizwan can handle superior quality bowling whereas usman Khan is a no 11 lol.

Reality is, players like saim ayub, usman Khan are uncooked talent but pcb will never cook them properly. Especially with misbah around.

Coaches are useless because players either do not listen to coaches, or misbah just takes over. The last coach we listened to was mickey Arthur in 2017 and that's because sarfi listened. When mickey returned, Babar didn't listen to hafeez or Mickey, those 2 had zero control.

Misbah is a useless coach. Very timid and defensive tuk tuk mindset. Will be and already was a disaster. Not sure why pcb goes back to him and waqar. They are done and dusted. Pak team is better off having no coach vs having a coach like misbah.

Get a lower profile hungry for recognition and success coach from eng or aus. A fearless one- who supports aggressive intent and no tuk tuk stat padding attitudes

If misbah comes back as coach expect to see the following.

1) Babar and rizwan open.

2) Shan at no 3

3) Saim and fakhar at 4 and 5

3) Iftikhar, Khusdil Shah, Shadab Khan and Nawaz as our 6,7,8 and 9.

4) Shaheen and Hasan Ali as pur frontline pacers.

And yes only 2 pacers as I remember in 2012, Misbah once choose 5 spinners and 1 pacer in his 11.

Can someone fairly recall what were the fitness standards of Pakistan team when Misbah and co took over?

Misbah now obviously has the coaching experience. Ideally I'd like Abdul Rahman as local Head coach but Misbah is welcome as well under current circumstances.

Even in PSL I would have taken Dean Jones based on his PSL success.
Thank god Dean Jones didn't get the Pakistan coaching job.

It would've hastened his demise given his heart condition, and I cannot bear to think of two Pakistani coaches dying in post.

Misbah and waqar were always the logical obvious choices .
Although I think yasir arafat deserves a chance as a bowling coach since waqar has had a fair crack.

Foreign coach is a pipe dream no proper coach will come and there's no point hiring a nobody just because he is foreign.
Plus in a cash strapped debt ridden country where millions don't even have enough to eat a a foreign coach with an inflated salary is a luxury one that can't be justified.

Nauman Ali and Iftikhar Ahmed would be the happiest people. Misbah had backed Zulfi Chacha who was in his 50s.

They were all topping domestic cricket charts and under the false prophets australian system.

The problem is the domestic teams they need to stop picking age fudgers and stuffing domestics with journeymen , players who clearly look like mamas and chachas and invest in genuinely talented younger players

Oh dear ! Oh dear! Oh dear! Even as an Indian supporter who enjoys the meltdown when Pakistan lose like they did in the World Cup, this is sad to see.

Why go back to Misbah? You know it's going to end in tears.

PCB are either full of masochists or extremely low IQ individuals . This is beyond corruption/nepotism . No cure for this

If Misbah says no, PCB will definitely approach Waqar.

But with disaster Dravid as our coach, can't even laugh at the comedy show of our neighbours

Nauman Ali and Iftikhar Ahmed would be the happiest people. Misbah had backed Zulfi Chacha who was in his 50s.
Zulfiqar Babar played in instrumental role in Pakistan's test success under Misbah's leadership. Compare to current spinners. Zulfiqar was a gift

If Misbah says no, PCB will definitely approach Waqar.

But with disaster Dravid as our coach, can't even laugh at the comedy show of our neighbours
If Misbah truly cares about Pakistan Cricket. He would accept the job only if as a resort to keep Pakistan Cricket away from Waqar Younis. That wil be his greatest achievement post retirement.

They didn't have to be?

When fakhar was opening he was in solid form, his form suffered as soon as he moved to no 3 and no 4 and it reflected In odi as well, fans just want xonsistent rizwan 25 of 25's rather then a player who fails but actually takes risks and can achieve high risk high reward.

The thing is bcci is capable of identifying medicore but promising players like rohit sharma, Kl Rahul, Sanju Sampson etc etc and turning them into world class players by simply adopting right strategies and coaches + preparing proper pitches.

If you watch the Dhoni movie, Dhoni was horrible in his first few matches, the standards of international were too high compared to the cricket he was use to in domestic, when he watched yuvi play in domestic he thought yubi was Peak, only to realise that in international their were players much better then yuvi.

However despite being afraid of being dropped, management just identified his weaknesses, and got him his childhood coach and brought him up to standards.

What was once a medicore basher ended up turning into one of the greatest finishers of the game and an atg captain.

Pakistan doesn't do that, Theirs a reason usman Khan is afraid and unsure of playing for Pakistan. He knows that if he fails for 1 or 2 games, management isn't going to persist, they'll just press the ban button. And his chances of uae will be botched. It doesn't help you have certain members on this form who still think usman Khan is somehow a failure and rizwan is 100x superior.

According to @PakEngFan Despite usman Khan and rizwam playing for the sane team, Rizwan can handle superior quality bowling whereas usman Khan is a no 11 lol.

Reality is, players like saim ayub, usman Khan are uncooked talent but pcb will never cook them properly. Especially with misbah around.

Coaches are useless because players either do not listen to coaches, or misbah just takes over. The last coach we listened to was mickey Arthur in 2017 and that's because sarfi listened. When mickey returned, Babar didn't listen to hafeez or Mickey, those 2 had zero control.
Another useless essay to appease your fans. As I said comeback to me when Usman plays proper cricket and average what rizwan does.

Why progress and move forward when you can just go back to the same old failed coaches again?

As per a report.

Would that be a good decision? or a disastrous one for Pakistan cricket leading into the T20 World Cup?

Misbah's previous stint as Head Coach:

On 4 September 2019, Misbah was appointed as the head coach for Pakistan cricket team as well as chief selector on a 3-year contract. This is the first time someone had simultaneously held both positions in Pakistan cricket.

This started well for Misbah who won the One-day international series 2–0. But then in the T20 series Sri Lanka pulled off a shock result and whitewashed Pakistan.[50] Afterwards he led the team in Australia where they lost the test series 2–0.

In October 2020, he resigned as chief selector of Pakistan national cricket team.[53] His first tour as just the head coach came against New Zealand where Pakistan were beaten 2–0.

After this he led Pakistan to their first Test series win against South Africa since 2003.

On 6 September 2021, Misbah resigned as the head coach of Pakistan.
Misbah like Naqvi seems to get his fingers in lots of pies

When will pcb learn ? Waqr Younis has bowling coach then ? Lol

Wow Misbah and PCB fits in them, back to where it belongs no wonder we are moving in circles

Pathetic if true this shameless person has had so many chances while playing and now coaching and each time he has failed miserably.

To be honest, he can always apply.

This is on PCB.

If they don't think he is a good fit, they shouldn't hire him.

There is no rule in the book that Misbah should not apply for different roles in cricket.

The anger should be directed at PCB if they accept his appointment and give him a role.

You have to be insane, completely void of any intelligence and have a special hatred for Pakistan to bring Misbah back in Pakistan cricket.

You have to be insane, completely void of any intelligence and have a special hatred for Pakistan to bring Misbah back in Pakistan cricket.

Right. What have we achieved since Misbah was ousted?

Last edited by a moderator:
We made soo much progress in the years he was out that we still have the same opening pair. There's not a better cricketing brain in Pakistan
If he's the best cricketing brain in Pakistan then we absolutely have to look outside the country. He had his chance and he flopped

It pleases me to see, from the replies, that almost everyone opposes this.

Anyone who wants Misbah back as Head Coach is a sworn enemy of Pakistan cricket.
Naw their still people who support him coming back, their just not present atm or lying to cover up tracks.

That's a weird response since you're automatically assuming he'll fail and that rizwan is superior based of a hypothetical scenario lol.

@topspin Look at this man's response to my argument 😂.

@PakEngFan If you genuinely being sincere about "I'll be first to acknowledge that I was wrong", a good place to start would be to have the courage to say that you were wrong about Imad.

You've already admitted that he should be back for the Pakistan team, so this is a good chance to redeem yourself.

God dammit, i just changed my DP. Gotta start working on the Misbah DP again.

The King is coming back!!

As I said, anyone who wants Misbah back as Head Coach is a sworn enemy of Pakistan cricket. Even one of his supporters, who I won't embarrass, has responded above to say that strongly oppose his return.

Anyone with a shred of credibility would ever vouch for Misbah to coach Pakistan cricket.

Don’t mind it. The more he takes the job, the more chances of him completely nailing his own coffin when it comes to having influence on Pakistan cricker

You say that bro, but how many stints has Waqar Younis had as a Head Coach/bowling coach for Pakistan? If I'm not mistaken he's had 3 as Head Coach and 1 as Bowling Coach.

Misbah won't go away because PCB is run by plebs who don't understand cricket.

One thing is certain, the God Father of Pakistani Politic is the Establishment, and the God Father of Pakistan Cricket is Misbah Ul Haq.

But in all seriousness, whether or not Misbah wants to take this job, its his choice. But he knows very well compared to everyone else, that there is always meddling in the selection of players by someone above. Either some selector will say donnot focus too much on fitness and select the ones with good performances, or someone in the top of the PCB will say bring so and so in the team.

This is what happened when he was the coach and the selectors and PCB forced him to select Azam Khan, Danish Aziz and a few others cricketers were selected.

He knows it will happen again, so when it happens, either stand to your guns or dont complain when things dont go your way.

@PakEngFan If you genuinely being sincere about "I'll be first to acknowledge that I was wrong", a good place to start would be to have the courage to say that you were wrong about Imad.

You've already admitted that he should be back for the Pakistan team, so this is a good chance to redeem yourself.
He's not, he admitted to it for literally a day before going back and slandering Imad 24/7.

Even cones up with further excuses saying that people complain about rizzu and vavar scoring against c string but praise Fodder scoring against c string.

When have we ever done that? I distinctly remember bashing agha salman, Imam, etc etc for scoring against jobbers. Only batsmen I supported was fakhar and only bowler I supported was naseem.

I supported saud and Abdullah as well tbf but since then I retracted my statement for Abdullah. But I still have hope for saud as soon as pcb acts smart and gives saud his well earned no 4 slot.

One thing is certain, the God Father of Pakistani Politic is the Establishment, and the God Father of Pakistan Cricket is Misbah Ul Haq.

But in all seriousness, whether or not Misbah wants to take this job, its his choice. But he knows very well compared to everyone else, that there is always meddling in the selection of players by someone above. Either some selector will say donnot focus too much on fitness and select the ones with good performances, or someone in the top of the PCB will say bring so and so in the team.

This is what happened when he was the coach and the selectors and PCB forced him to select Azam Khan, Danish Aziz and a few others cricketers were selected.

He knows it will happen again, so when it happens, either stand to your guns or dont complain when things dont go your way.
Brother if misbah was a financial advisor, he'd make Elon Musk go bankrupt. That's how bad of a coach and advisor he is.

He's not, he admitted to it for literally a day before going back and slandering Imad 24/7.

Even cones up with further excuses saying that people complain about rizzu and vavar scoring against c string but praise Fodder scoring against c string.

When have we ever done that? I distinctly remember bashing agha salman, Imam, etc etc for scoring against jobbers. Only batsmen I supported was fakhar and only bowler I supported was naseem.

I supported saud and Abdullah as well tbf but since then I retracted my statement for Abdullah. But I still have hope for saud as soon as pcb acts smart and gives saud his well earned no 4 slot.

Major also has done a flip flop it seems

I understand what you mean. However, I would think PCB has learnt their lesson (big if). They should focus on making the right hiring and not make things worse before it gets better. It is saddening to see the level of incompetence (barring few bright spots) at all levels in Pakistan cricket.

Coaching is so overrated. Who was the coach when Imran Khan led the team? Guess what was the difference?

1) Imran Khan was a great captain/leader/tactician.
2) The cast around Imram was superb. Balanced team with great fast bowling (Wasim/Waqar/Aqib), Spin (Mushtaq), and specialist batsmen (Inzi could speed up the overrate as a middle order batsmen, Imran and Miandad were anchors, Moin was a good hitter as well).

We need to stop focusing on the small things, and focus on the more important. Right leader at the top, right cast of players who bring a balanced lineup that has fast bowling, some quality spinners, a middle order that can increase the run rate with 2 solid anchor batsmen at the top.

Our lineups have had the fast bowling and anchor batsmen, but we're lacking spin and middle order players. We need to focus on this ASAP vs who the hell the coach is. Micky, Misbah, Shane, hell me, won't create a spinner. We need a reliable spinner (preferably 2) and 2 reliable late middle order batsmen. Right now our best hopes are Ifti and a guy that weighs 50 pounds too much for the international game.

That's a weird response since you're automatically assuming he'll fail and that rizwan is superior based of a hypothetical scenario lol.

@topspin Look at this man's response to my argument 😂.
I have watched cricket enough to know he will never succeed as I said if he does I will put my hand up. I see you are calling for back up as usual.

I am sincere. He deserves to play based on his performances. When he performs in international cricket I will do the same. Performing in domestic is one thing and international another.

Coaching is so overrated. Who was the coach when Imran Khan led the team? Guess what was the difference?

1) Imran Khan was a great captain/leader/tactician.
2) The cast around Imram was superb. Balanced team with great fast bowling (Wasim/Waqar/Aqib), Spin (Mushtaq), and specialist batsmen (Inzi could speed up the overrate as a middle order batsmen, Imran and Miandad were anchors, Moin was a good hitter as well).

We need to stop focusing on the small things, and focus on the more important. Right leader at the top, right cast of players who bring a balanced lineup that has fast bowling, some quality spinners, a middle order that can increase the run rate with 2 solid anchor batsmen at the top.

Our lineups have had the fast bowling and anchor batsmen, but we're lacking spin and middle order players. We need to focus on this ASAP vs who the hell the coach is. Micky, Misbah, Shane, hell me, won't create a spinner. We need a reliable spinner (preferably 2) and 2 reliable late middle order batsmen. Right now our best hopes are Ifti and a guy that weighs 50 pounds too much for the international game.
That was a different time in cricket. In the 83 movie it seems India didn’t have a coach either, just a tour manager.

Cricket has changed now, it requires far more management at a national scale instead of 1 group of boys from a privileged setting all touring together. You need a senior authority ensuring everything is in order. Otherwise you will just have a group of guys who could have a fall out and not know how to handle it amongst themselves

I have watched cricket enough to know he will never succeed as I said if he does I will put my hand up. I see you are calling for back up as usual.
You've watched cricket enough yet you confidently proclaimed imad would fail in psl, then when he succeeded you backtracked and switched to international.

Back