[Report] PCB contemplates punishing spinner Abrar Ahmed for ignoring medical advice [Post#25]

The Bald Eagle

Super Moderator
Staff member
Runs
Spinner Abrar Ahmed has been released from the Pakistan squad for the five-match T20I series against New Zealand owing to fitness concerns. He will be returning to Pakistan for his rehabilitation, which will take place at the National Cricket Academy.

Left-arm spinner Mohammad Nawaz, who has been released from the Test squad, has joined fellow bowlers – Zaman Khan, Haris Rauf and Usama Mir – to train for the upcoming T20I series. All four players will depart from Australia for Auckland on 5 January, where they will be joined by the remaining players named in the T20 squad.

The first T20I between Pakistan and New Zealand is set to be played on 12 January in Auckland.

Source : PCB

They should take the leggie from Karachi, give him a go. Otherwise no harm in trying Usman Qadir

They should take the leggie from Karachi, give him a go. Otherwise no harm in trying Usman Qadir
But time is running out from hand. T20 WC 2024 is approaching. If they do want to try some spinner try it ASAP as Shadab and Nawaz are not good picks for Pak side

Stars aligning for Shadab to suddenly be fit again and back into the Pakistan squad

Reports suggest Mehran Mumtaz will get the call up.

Stars aligning for Shadab to suddenly be fit again and back into the Pakistan squad

Reports suggest Mehran Mumtaz will get the call up.
Mehran Mumtaz is a very good talent but not sure why they don't play Usman Qadir anymore.

Mehran Mumtaz is a very good talent but not sure why they don't play Usman Qadir anymore.
Mehran mumtaz is another darter who bowls flat and quick and sometimes gets a marginal turn. But he is fairly accurate and can bat a bit as well so I would say not a bad choice if they pick him over Nawaz.

Looks like PAK have belatedly discovered the concept of not rushing players back from injury.

Abrar's injury history is concerning. Can he play all three formats long-term ?

Mehran mumtaz is another darter who bowls flat and quick and sometimes gets a marginal turn. But he is fairly accurate and can bat a bit as well so I would say not a bad choice if they pick him over Nawaz.
Problem is with Nawaz already there. They will bench Mehran all series.

Nawaz and Shadab has a stranglehold on Pakistan's white ball teams. Nawaz wouldn't even get into the Bangladesh or the UAE team. Maybe Hong Kong might take him.

Finally they have realised what ruined the careers of yasir shah and Danish kaneria

While mediocre spinners like lyons and keshav have bowled better over prolonged periods and have much better statistics to show for it

It's all messy in Pakistan, selecting bloated squads then keeping unfit players on board and finally offloading them at 11th hour

Was really looking forward to watching Abrar in T20's but I suppose it will have to wait. I just hope he gets fully healthy because his injury history is quite concerning at this point and that too as a spinner.

Unless it was a freak accident injury, it reflects poorly on Abrar's fitness.

Should pick someone uncapped to replace him if they decide to do so.
Enough of Usman Qadir and Usama Mir. Shadab and Nawaz have been eyeache for over a year now. t20s is the only format Shadab bowls well in.

Abrar apparently is struggling with Sciatica. He has severe pain in his legs. He complained about the same problems in the WC sitting on the bench. The team management is not happy with him because he has not been following their recommended rehab plan.

What is this obsession with Nawaz? He is a nothing cricketer with weak mentality, yet he somehow always finds himself in the team. I am sick of seeing him play for Pakistan.

Abrar Ahmed being injured...
Means.... Nawaz will play all five games....

Last edited by a moderator:
It is amazing how a spinner can get himself injured without playing much cricket. Is he that weak that it only took 1 practice session for him to get injured.

PCB Contemplates Punishing Spinner Abrar Ahmed For Ignoring Medical Advice: Report

Pakistan Cricket Board is not happy with leg-spinner Abrar Ahmed, who missed the entire Test series in Australia, for not following instructions of the medical panel to rehabilitate from a suspected nerve-related problem. The medical panel of the Board, after consulting the Pakistan team doctor, physio and trainer, had submitted a report to the PCB chairman, outlining the carelessness shown by Abrar in his rehabilitation process beginning in the World Cup in India last year.

According to sources, the PCB is contemplating some sort of reprimand or punishment for Abrar for his carelessness which cost the Pakistan team heavily as they missed his services and were whitewashed 3-0 by Australia.

The spinner, after being kept with the team for the three Tests in Australia, has been ruled out for the T20 series in New Zealand because of a suspected sciatica problem. The team management has decided to send him home.

Sciatica is nerve pain which occurs due to irritation of the sciatic nerve which travels from the lower back through the hips and buttocks and down each leg.

“Abrar has been sent home to the national cricket academy where his rehabilitation process is now monitored on a daily basis by the staff there and he is also staying now at the academy,” a PCB official said.

According to details, Abrar first complained of pain in his lower side when the team was in Hyderabad in India and he was sent for a diagnosis and the suspicion was he might have a sciatica problem.

Abrar was advised a full rehabilitation programme and told to do some exercises on a daily basis and also follow other instructions.

But later in the World Cup when he complained again of side pain, it was found out he was not following his rehab programme properly after which the team management and doctor met him and advised him to do what he was told to do.

During the four-day warm up game in Canberra in Australia, the problem flared up again and it was found Abrar was skipping his exercises and other details.
SOURCE: NDTV

Last edited:
PCB Contemplates Punishing Spinner Abrar Ahmed For Ignoring Medical Advice: Report

Pakistan Cricket Board is not happy with leg-spinner Abrar Ahmed, who missed the entire Test series in Australia, for not following instructions of the medical panel to rehabilitate from a suspected nerve-related problem. The medical panel of the Board, after consulting the Pakistan team doctor, physio and trainer, had submitted a report to the PCB chairman, outlining the carelessness shown by Abrar in his rehabilitation process beginning in the World Cup in India last year.

According to sources, the PCB is contemplating some sort of reprimand or punishment for Abrar for his carelessness which cost the Pakistan team heavily as they missed his services and were whitewashed 3-0 by Australia.

The spinner, after being kept with the team for the three Tests in Australia, has been ruled out for the T20 series in New Zealand because of a suspected sciatica problem. The team management has decided to send him home.

Sciatica is nerve pain which occurs due to irritation of the sciatic nerve which travels from the lower back through the hips and buttocks and down each leg.

“Abrar has been sent home to the national cricket academy where his rehabilitation process is now monitored on a daily basis by the staff there and he is also staying now at the academy,” a PCB official said.

According to details, Abrar first complained of pain in his lower side when the team was in Hyderabad in India and he was sent for a diagnosis and the suspicion was he might have a sciatica problem.

Abrar was advised a full rehabilitation programme and told to do some exercises on a daily basis and also follow other instructions.

But later in the World Cup when he complained again of side pain, it was found out he was not following his rehab programme properly after which the team management and doctor met him and advised him to do what he was told to do.

During the four-day warm up game in Canberra in Australia, the problem flared up again and it was found Abrar was skipping his exercises and other details.
SOURCE: NDTV

So as expected, he was carrying an injury

Abrar can be blamed but how is it the PCB medical staff were unable to ascertain this as well?

What is this obsession with Nawaz? He is a nothing cricketer with weak mentality, yet he somehow always finds himself in the team. I am sick of seeing him play for Pakistan.
Our selectors are pathetic and lazy. Every time there is a new selection panel, I couldn’t care less because they are all the same.

Instead of taking an additional hour or two from their time to see who is performing in domestics they just choose the first name they remember and slot him in.

Forgetting how many games Nawaz has single-handedly lost us in not 1 but 2 back to back World Cup events.

Their brains are seriously rotting otherwise they’d at least remember the greatest choke in cricket history with his waist high full tosses to Virat Kohli to seal our fate.

I have no sympathy for PCB and the pathetic teams they send out if chosen in this fashion.

So as expected, he was carrying an injury

Abrar can be blamed but how is it the PCB medical staff were unable to ascertain this as well?
For a couple years now injured players tour and the team suffers. The medical staff should be looked into. But no one will

Abrar was careless? This is a huge problem for his own self. T20 world cup and NZ Series is just around the corner and he chose to be careful? Doesn't he want to be the part of world cup squad?

Wait. How is Abrar to be blamed for this.

Ok, he developed a slight injury at first and you identified rehab. It was the team managements job to make sure Abrar did the rehab. Players themselves dont do rehab on there own.

If this rehab was to be done on ground than the physio would had been present there. If this rehab was to be done indoors than PCB could had assigned a person during specific times for Abrar.

Pakistan took a very large entourage of support staff with them to the world cup.

PCB has gone crazy and have started to throw players under the bus instead of take responsibility.

Btw, i remember when i was in high school in canada, we used to have a beep test every month which was part of physical education.

We used to have a beep test and a few other fitness test where our fitness used to get judged.

Sciatica is one those things that an athelete cant even hide. If you conduct a beep test, a person who has sciatica issue will score less in the beep test and infact will also have problems in running or maintaining his posture.

I developed this issue and during one of my beep test i had alot of difficulty in running.

My point is, if PCB was conducting fitness test on a regular basis, this issue could had been identified and they could plucked out the players with fitness issues and rehab them before they detriorated.

PCB is not doing its job and they have appointed a support staff on the basis of favouritism so instead of critisizing them they are now blaming the players...

Ok, he developed a slight injury at first and you identified rehab. It was the team managements job to make sure Abrar did the rehab. Players themselves dont do rehab on there own.

If this rehab was to be done on ground than the physio would had been present there. If this rehab was to be done indoors than PCB could had assigned a person during specific times for Abrar.

Pakistan took a very large entourage of support staff with them to the world cup.

PCB has gone crazy and have started to throw players under the bus instead of take responsibility.

Person who has the injury - he is the one who should be raising his hand and saying I dont feel good!

Of course the PCB staff should have not believed him blindly.

Person who has the injury - he is the one who should be raising his hand and saying I dont feel good!

Actually sciatica is one of those pains that comes and goes. You might think you are feeling upto it and it suddenly reappears.

But if a beep test is done, sciatica ends up reappearing and the team managment could had caught it there.

But it seems as if we dont have fitness tests

PCB has been alarmingly poor at handling player injuries historically, but they seem to be hitting an all time low recently.

Botched Shaheen and Fakhar’s rehab recently already. Blamed Shaheen for being “keen on playing instead of resting” when he should’ve been rested for the t20 2022 WC, and as his employer and knowing his worth, PCB should’ve enforced it. Same with Fakhar in the same time period. Both suffering from serious knee injuries iirc.

And now add Abrar to the list.

PCB is run like some mohalla cricket WhatsApp group. Each new government puts their own clown as head who brings his own circus.

I hope ICC tells PCB straight up like they told SLC. If you keep mixing your body with politics, you can’t play.

But PCB have made a habit of this. When they can’t take responsibility, they blame the player.

They should know we don’t have players growing on trees and they need to be managed properly regarding fitness and health. Shaheen as one of the biggest stars had to pay for his own surgery, this too under Oxford MBA grad Ramiz who too turned out to be a 2 bit hack.

Ofc the players are going to try and be brave and insist on playing. They don’t want to risk losing their spot and be doomed to dwell in domestics for the rest of their career, because PCB has given them zero job security. Also the so called fans on here will call them “soft” and “weak” for looking out for their biggest asset- their body.

Most rehab involves the injured party doing extra stretches and exercises at home.

If the patient can't be bothered doing them, or lies about doing them, then there is no physio in the world who can help you.

I understand its convenient to blame the PCB. They are often to blame anyway. However our players don't seem to take any personal responsibility. Whether its Azam Khan eating 20 parathas with Shoaib Malik, Biryani boys in India or now Abrar not listening to orders there is a clear pattern of personal neglect and lack of care.

You want to punish a cricketer? Don't select him. No need for this macho show of aggression to appear tough

But PCB have made a habit of this. When they can’t take responsibility, they blame the player.

They should know we don’t have players growing on trees and they need to be managed properly regarding fitness and health. Shaheen as one of the biggest stars had to pay for his own surgery, this too under Oxford MBA grad Ramiz who too turned out to be a 2 bit hack.

Ofc the players are going to try and be brave and insist on playing. They don’t want to risk losing their spot and be doomed to dwell in domestics for the rest of their career, because PCB has given them zero job security. Also the so called fans on here will call them “soft” and “weak” for looking out for their biggest asset- their body.

Shaheen has already played more T20’s then Dale Steyn did in his entire career, he is also not too far removed from his ODI total at such a young age.

Dale Steyn to me is the model example of how a premium fast bowler should be used in the modern era

PCB are just making excuses for the Australia failure. They should contemplate punishing themselves to.

I think it was a blessing in disguise that Abrar missed the tour, they would have over-bowled and he’d have been mentally scarred by the time the tour was over, would have been a shame to do that on one fine talent

You want to punish a cricketer? Don't select him. No need for this macho show of aggression to appear tough
If he is a contracted player then he should be punished.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if this reflects the lack of trust the players have for the PCB physio's, doctors, coaches. So many injuries have been mishandled and further aggravated at the hands of the PCB.

One thing is for sure Wahab will throw egoistic and lazy player under the bus and they will have no place to hide

Punishing a player who ignoring medical advice when all this medical panel has done is do nothing but destroy player's careers?

lol hilarious stuff from PCB as usual. Maybe get a competent medical panel in place first spewing out nonsense. Any half educated player would be ignoring that medical panel's advice because there is zero trust in them.

If hes central contract player then yes he should be punished for negliance.

Pakistani cricketers and PCB medical staff - a recipe for disaster.

How will they hold Azam Khan accountable?
I think they need to develop a better testing procedure. There is no need to obsess over peoples body fat but they need to possess certain fitness standards that are needed for cricket. If you can clear them you can play, regardless of how big or small you look.

I think they need to develop a better testing procedure. There is no need to obsess over peoples body fat but they need to possess certain fitness standards that are needed for cricket. If you can clear them you can play, regardless of how big or small you look.

There is no way he would pass a beep test.

One can't say. I have seen a lot of big guys that are fit. Some heavyweight boxers carry a lot of fat but are quite fit and have mad endurance.

Oh please, there is a difference between muscle and fat. This boy is clinically obese and he's 25. Ridiculous.

One can't say. I have seen a lot of big guys that are fit. Some heavyweight boxers carry a lot of fat but are quite fit and have mad endurance.
unless he plans to defend the ball by letting it hit him, i dont see how the analogy of the weight carried by a boxer serves any purpose in cricket. punch endurance and stamina are too totally different things.

unless he plans to defend the ball by letting it hit him, i dont see how the analogy of the weight carried by a boxer serves any purpose in cricket. punch endurance and stamina are too totally different things.
Because those heavy guys seem to have great endurance and have fit cardiovascular systems. The point I am making is that you have to be fit enough to move in certain patterns at a quick pace. Some big guys carry a lot of fat but are quite athletic, nonetheless.

Jesse Ryder from New Zealand a few years ago was a big guy but was probably the best fielder in the team.

Create a comprehensive fitness test that reflects the fitness you need for cricket and have people pass that. Do not fixate on people's weight because it creates a culture whereby people equate thin with athletic as opposed to how well someone moves.

I am not talking about Azam in specific here, he may be unfit. Making the larger point that how you move is more important than how you look and sometimes the two do not correlate.

He should be praised for ignoring their advice knowing it would most likely set him back even further

Because those heavy guys seem to have great endurance and have fit cardiovascular systems. The point I am making is that you have to be fit enough to move in certain patterns at a quick pace. Some big guys carry a lot of fat but are quite athletic, nonetheless.

Jesse Ryder from New Zealand a few years ago was a big guy but was probably the best fielder in the team.

Create a comprehensive fitness test that reflects the fitness you need for cricket and have people pass that. Do not fixate on people's weight because it creates a culture whereby people equate thin with athletic as opposed to how well someone moves.

I am not talking about Azam in specific here, he may be unfit. Making the larger point that how you move is more important than how you look and sometimes the two do not correlate.
ppl arent fixated on his weight, if he was 6'6, and weighed 18 stone like a rugby player, no one would care, they are fixated on the composition of his weight, i.e. excessive fat, which serves no athletic purpose other than to cushion blows or increase dynamic momentum, for contact sports like boxing, rugby, or American football

i agree with u general assertion but azam khan is not a good example to use. ryder had alcohol problems, but was never as out of shape as azam in his nz playing days.

jesse-ryder-1-2105620.jpg

ppl arent fixated on his weight, if he was 6'6, and weighed 18 stone like a rugby player, no one would care, they are fixated on the composition of his weight, i.e. excessive fat, which serves no athletic purpose other than to cushion blows or increase dynamic momentum, for contact sports like boxing, rugby, or American football

i agree with u general assertion but azam khan is not a good example to use. ryder had alcohol problems, but was never as out of shape as azam in his nz playing days.

Fair point

some people like Azam and Rakeem cornwall are naturally built that way and it could be a mistake to force them to shed pounds.

Inzi was a prime example when he lost weight he couldnt perform and when he got to his comfortable weight he performed again.

some people like Azam and Rakeem cornwall are naturally built that way and it could be a mistake to force them to shed pounds.

Inzi was a prime example when he lost weight he couldnt perform and when he got to his comfortable weight he performed again.
nope, no one is naturally built to be overweight, look at humans before synthetic oils and refined sugar became the norms in diets, hardly anyone was their size.

naturally big people have bigger bones and larger muscle bellies, that's what naturally big is, yes they could easily carry another 10kg or 15kg of fat and still look big and solid, but it doesnt mean they have to, to perform. someone like andrew symonds comes to mind.

losing fat does not reduce your athletic ability, drastic dieting which loses your muscle mass, and messes up your internal hormonal makeup may reduce athletic ability but even inzis not a good example, yes he was overweight, but he was no where near azams level, even near his retirement he was significantly less obese than azam khan.

inzamam-old.jpg

Nobody is naturally built that way

Inzamam would compensate for his unappealing physique with his performances. Azam has done no such thing for Pakistan yet

nope, no one is naturally built to be overweight, look at humans before synthetic oils and refined sugar became the norms in diets, hardly anyone was their size.

naturally big people have bigger bones and larger muscle bellies, that's what naturally big is, yes they could easily carry another 10kg or 15kg of fat and still look big and solid, but it doesnt mean they have to, to perform. someone like andrew symonds comes to mind.

losing fat does not reduce your athletic ability, drastic dieting which loses your muscle mass, and messes up your internal hormonal makeup may reduce athletic ability but even inzis not a good example, yes he was overweight, but he was no where near azams level, even near his retirement he was significantly less obese than azam khan.

inzamam-old.jpg
My meaning was players like Azam and cornwall will be on the larger side regardless of training and diet.

of course training and nutrition will help to some extent but i dont think it will change a great deal over time.

Inzamam would compensate for his unappealing physique with his performances. Azam has done no such thing for Pakistan yet
I wasnt comparing inzi with Azam bro in terms of calibre of player

Its chalk and cheese.

Inzi is a legend.

My point was inzi shed pounds before one of the world cups i believe in order to be fit but it back fired on him performance wise.

I dont think Azam is going to be aesthetically pleasing regardless of training and nutrition.

we as supporters have to accept his larger frame and look to see performances with bat and gloves.

Abrar Ahmed has commenced rehabilitation under the supervision of the medical panel at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore.

What a spinner, changed the game in one over.

Islamabad made a big mistake letting him go

Seen him live at the PSL yesterday. Bowled superbly but don't know what happens to him on international stage.

Abrar Ahmed on a superman mode at the moment in PSL season 9. Claimed 2 wickets already against his former side IU. His figures 2/12 after 3 overs so far in the ongoing match between QG and IU.

Last edited:
All 3 wickets in the videos above seem to be more luck than any good bowling- 2 short balls hit to the fielders and one leg side dismissal that would have been a wide. Those balls on another day could have just disappeared into the stands.

Abrar Ahmed removed Shoaib Malik. Pollard and Hasan Ali for QG today. Abrar's final figures were 3/31 in 4 overs.

Abrar Ahmed's dream PSL continues as he dismisses Haseebullah Khan of PZ for his team QG. Predict his final figures..

Abrar, a bit expensive today but still has bagged one wicket so far. His figures against MS after 2 overs are 1/22.

Abrar Ahmed ends up with a decent figure of 1/32 against IU in the Eliminator 1.

I think this guy has a habit of not listening to other people. now got fined by the umpires.

----------------------------

Abrar Ahmed and Saud Shakeel fined for code of conduct breaches

Quetta Gladiators’ Abrar Ahmed and Saud Shakeel have both been fined five per cent of their match fees for Level 1 breaches of HBL PSL’s code of conduct during their side’s HBL PSL 9 fixture against Islamabad United at the National Bank Stadium in Karachi on Friday night.

Abrar was found to have violated Article 2.4 of the HBL PSL Code of Conduct, which reads as: “Disobeying an umpire’s instruction during the match”.

The incident occurred in the 19th over of Islamabad United’s batting, when, while fielding, Abrar rolled the ball all along the ground despite being instructed by the umpires not to do so.

In a separate incident, in the same match, Saud was found to have violated Article 2.5 of the HBL PSL Code of Conduct, which reads as: “Using language, actions or gestures which disparage or which could provoke an aggressive reaction from a batter upon his/her dismissal during a match”.

After dismissing United’s batter Salman Ali Agha in the 12th over, Saud went close to Salman and made remarks which could have provoked the batter.

Both players pleaded guilty to the charges and accepted the sanctions proposed by match referee Mohammad Javed.

The charges were imposed by on-field umpires Ahsan Raza and Chris Gaffaney.

Back