[Report] PCB in touch with Justin Langer, Gary Kirsten among others for Pakistan Head Coach role

If this is the model Pakistan's going to follow for it's coach i.e. a low profile, upcoming but hungry and competent (hopefully...I have genuinely no idea) international, I think they would do well to provide him air cover from all the politics by also hiring an internal "name" over him. Someone who can sort of manage the egos, politics, personalities but doesn't have interest in the day to aspects of coaching - let's say a Wasim Akram type?

I would say Shastri for India, under whom we had a fair bit of success, was such a guy. The common feeling is that he was a players' coach who left the operational running of the team was run to others - the likes of Bharat Arun, Sridhar, Rathour.
Brilliant idea.

Just have a competent low key head coach, and just add someone with a big name as director in mostly a ceremonial role to take some of the political heat off.

I must say, the team I am consistently most impressed with is New Zealand. Yes they haven’t won a WC, but they’re a small nation who have their best athletes go into Rugby.

The fact that they are consistently competitors in World Cup’s, even making 2 finals in a row, and also won the first WTC shows that they have a great setup.

Pakistan needs professionalism and consistency and a systematic approach. Luke Ronchi is the current New Zealand batting coach so he must have a good understanding of this system.

Mike Hesson would of course be ideal since he’s been a head coach before and also coached a PSL franchise to a victory, but Luke Ronchi seems a decent choice as well.

Shahid Afridi also wants local coaches for the Pakistan team.

-------------------

Shahid Afridi speaking during the interview:

“Pakistan has its own coaches; here too, people have kept their own coaches in front. Yes, it’s okay, a foreign coach may come, people like Andy Flower may come, who have a lot of service for England, for different leagues. So in my opinion, if a foreign coach comes, he sits on top of them, but the work should be taken from the Pakistani coach below, it is better.”​

I must say, the team I am consistently most impressed with is New Zealand. Yes they haven’t won a WC, but they’re a small nation who have their best athletes go into Rugby.

The fact that they are consistently competitors in World Cup’s, even making 2 finals in a row, and also won the first WTC shows that they have a great setup.

Pakistan needs professionalism and consistency and a systematic approach. Luke Ronchi is the current New Zealand batting coach so he must have a good understanding of this system.

Mike Hesson would of course be ideal since he’s been a head coach before and also coached a PSL franchise to a victory, but Luke Ronchi seems a decent choice as well.

Implementing a similar system in Pakistan is a different story, he will find more barriers compared to NZC; it would be a rude awakening for him.

-------------------

“Pakistan has its own coaches; here too, people have kept their own coaches in front. Yes, it’s okay, a foreign coach may come, people like Andy Flower may come, who have a lot of service for England, for different leagues. So in my opinion, if a foreign coach comes, he sits on top of them, but the work should be taken from the Pakistani coach below, it is better.”​
Listen to Lala.

Wise words from elders are valuable.

:sa

Now do you understand why I keep mentioning the NZ and Aus formula for Pakistan cricket?

-------------------

Agree with Afridi here but we need to make sure that it is someone competent i.e Rashid Latif or Basit Ali and not another Saqlain, Waqar or Misbah

Kirsten or Gillespie

Both solid candidates.

Would rather have Kirsten. I don’t want Gillespie to commit career suicide at such a young age with taking a big risk with Pakistan. Kirsten will always find some kind of lucrative role as coach in franchise cricket.

Jason Gillespie as bowling coach??

The guy is head coach material.

-------------------

This guy afridi is useless for pakistan cricket he did great to make his son in law pakitan team captain ahead of rizwan

Last edited by a moderator:
As per some reports:

PCB contacts Gary Kirsten for Head Coach role and Jason Gillespie for Bowling Coach Role

As per some reports:

PCB contacts Gary Kirsten for Head Coach role and Jason Gillespie for Bowling Coach Role
So they were willing to pay $2m to untested Watson

Now they have two established guys who can easily charge that premium if not more individually from the PCB.

Where have they found all of this money from?!

Can't see anyone other than Misbah-ul-Haq taking the job. After all the names linked, it will probably go to Misbah-ul-Haq.

Now they have two established guys who can easily charge that premium if not more individually from the PCB.

From what I’ve heard the PCB has alot of money in their coffers.. they just refuse to spend where it matters most. If this is true it’s surprising because you would expect the
money to be gone.

From what I’ve heard the PCB has alot of money in their coffers.. they just refuse to spend where it matters most. If this is true it’s surprising because you would expect the
money to be gone.
Cutting down on the 900 employees too, saves a lot of money

PCB was and is always flush with money. There is a reason why the chairman is such a politically influenced position.

Who wants to work with the circus board where Chairman changes every other month?

The idea is Misbah as Head Coach and Gillespie as his assistant.

@Major @Hawkeye @daytrader please give us thoughts on this proposal.
Misbah should be the Director of Domestic cricket. Look after the domestic cricket, the pitches and the grounds.

With Champions trophy to be hosted by us, we need a saner head like Misbah to fix the pitches and the domestic structure. Now is not the best time for Misbah to be taking over as coach, maybe after the World T20 or after the champions trophy.

Moin Khan's brother, Nadeem Khan has been the Domestic Director for so long and has not done any work. He always goes under the scanner of scrutiny.

Gary and jason gillespi can be a good combo. Both of them have vast experience and can be a good option IMO.

They need someone who will live in Pakistan and be involved at NCA on a daily basis. The whole set up needs reform so it must be someone experienced.

So it turns out that Luke Rochi being Pakistan's next coach was a fake news.

--------------------

Blackcaps assistant Luke Ronchi denies rumours of Pakistan coaching appointment

Blackcaps batting coach Luke Ronchi has refuted claims he is on the verge of signing on as Pakistan head coach.

Pakistan media reports the Pakistan Cricket Board is finalising discussions with the Kiwi, after negotiations with former NZ coach Mike Hesson, West Indian Darren Sammy and Aussie Shane Watson fell through.

The former international wicketkeeper-batter is reported to have turned down a previous offer for the position, but Newshub understands the reports out of Pakistan are news to Ronchi and NZ Cricket.

Dannevirke-born Ronchi, 42, is the only player to represent both New Zealand and Australia national teams, including four tests, 81 one-dayers and 29 T20 internationals for the Blackcaps, and highlighted by an unbeaten 170 off 99 balls against Sri Lanka at Dunedin in 2015.

Since retiring, he has coaching experience in the Pakistan Super League with Islamabad United and is due to tour Pakistan with the New Zealand team next month.

Former Blackcap Grant Bradburn was Pakistan coach under a two-year contract at last year's World Cup, but parted ways with the national team, after they failed to qualify out of the groupstage.

Former Pakistan player Mohammad Hafeez was coach during their tour to Australia and New Zealand this summer, but stepped down afterwards.

SOURCE: https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...rumours-of-pakistan-coaching-appointment.html

Last edited:
How come Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or even Afghanistan can hire top class coaches but we fail? Pathetic board filled with useless players.

How come Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or even Afghanistan can hire top class coaches but we fail? Pathetic board filled with useless players.
PCB is pretty inconsistent in this field. Actually, PCB is pretty bad in every field when it comes to running the cricket matters in Pakistan. Who would like to be a part of such a system that can kick you out in no-time based on political instability and sometimes fans.

Dizzy has resigned as head coach for his Sheffield Shield side. It means he is likely to be appointed as a coach for Pakistan

His side finished 4th, which is last position 4 times in a row. The guy has been persisted with by his management, couldn’t get them the desired results. Seems like Sheffield comp is extremely competitive even with just 4 sides.

A battle hardened failure in a gruesome competition. I recon he will find the Pakistan job a lot less challenging

Dizzy has resigned as head coach for his Sheffield Shield side. It means he is likely to be appointed as a coach for Pakistan

His side finished 4th, which is last position 4 times in a row. The guy has been persisted with by his management, couldn’t get them the desired results. Seems like Sheffield comp is extremely competitive even with just 4 sides.

A battle hardened failure in a gruesome competition. I recon he will find the Pakistan job a lot less challenging
I would like Dizzy as head-coach if he takes the job. He seems like a really smart and chill guy and he has a ton of experience coaching Yorkshire, Sussex and South Australia. It would make more sense for him to take this job aswell from a career development point of view, as compared to some of the other rumored candidates.

Actually it will be more harder cause apart from Amir or may be Nasim our bowlers have no intellectual to get rid of quality batsmen

I would like Dizzy as head-coach if he takes the job. He seems like a really smart and chill guy and he has a ton of experience coaching Yorkshire, Sussex and South Australia. It would make more sense for him to take this job aswell from a career development point of view, as compared to some of the other rumored candidates.
More likely career staining job. Current bunch of players apart from Babar/Nasim/Rizwan are just rubbish.

Dizzy is definitely coming, i just saw the news of him resigning from strikers as well. Hoping Gary Kristen also comes in now. I would love the combo of Gary and Gillepse. The two Gs.

Dizzy is definitely coming, i just saw the news of him resigning from strikers as well. Hoping Gary Kristen also comes in now. I would love the combo of Gary and Gillepse. The two Gs.

Gillespie is a no nonsense coach. Question is he coming as a bowling coach or head coach?

I don't understand why there is so much obsession with hiring foreign coaches and wasting a lot of money on their salaries while the country is under an economic crisis.

I don't understand why there is so much obsession with hiring foreign coaches and wasting a lot of money on their salaries while the country is under an economic crisis.
PCB has the funds, funds is not the issue, as they budget such things.

I think foreign set up is preferred, because that means the likes of Azam Khan dont slip in.

PCB has the funds, funds is not the issue, as they budget such things.

I think foreign set up is preferred, because that means the likes of Azam Khan dont slip in.
In a foreign set up, Azam Khan slips in on merit. He is liked by foreign coaches.

In a foreign set up, Azam Khan slips in on merit. He is liked by foreign coaches.
No he is not lol.

He slips in due to Franchise cricket. In franchise cricket, you have 150 spots open, in international cricket only 15 spots exists in which only the most fit play.

There is a reason why someone like Cosgrove after performing for so many years in the Shield was never a regular in the Australian side. He was also fat

No he is not lol.

He slips in due to Franchise cricket. In franchise cricket, you have 150 spots open, in international cricket only 15 spots exists in which only the most fit play.

There is a reason why someone like Cosgrove after performing for so many years in the Shield was never a regular in the Australian side. He was also fat
I’m pretty sure there is an interview of Mike Hesson speaking of his value. You seem to know better than Hesson

I’m pretty sure there is an interview of Mike Hesson speaking of his value. You seem to know better than Hesson
Im pretty sure Mike Hesson being a FRANCHISE COACH was talking from a Franchise POV and not from a National Team POV.

You seem to not know better

2 foreigners and 2 local coaches

I personally hope Umar Gul retains his job. Decent guy, hard worker.

Im pretty sure Mike Hesson being a FRANCHISE COACH was talking from a Franchise POV and not from a National Team POV.

You seem to not know better
So if he is valuable in FRANCHISE then what’s stopping him being a valuable commodity in INTERNATIONAL? For his country? Why is Rizwan not being sold at hundred based on his INTERNATIONAL reputation? Why did he play BPL and not ILT20?

No he is not lol.

Franchise is picking him over other candidates, that ought to count towards his skill set and what he can bring in.

He is an impact player.

Kirsten and Langer are currently IPL franchise coaches

Hesson is not in IPL now.. but there are also other coaches who are not in IPL now , may be they should strike a deal with them

Mahela, Gillespie, Cameron white, Simon Katich , Stuart Law, Hayden , philander, Ntini, Steyn , Alland Donald, Klusener, Graeme Hick, Gibbs, Eoin Morgan, Aaron Finch , Nathan Astle, Carl Hooper, Brian Lara, Walsh, etc

They can call each of them and see who is willing to give it a shot.

Hayden and Law would be good choice as they can be batting coach as well.
Allan Donald can be very good choice for bowling coach.

I was watching the selection committee press conference today. A question was asked to MoYo on why there are so many Lahore based selectors. In his response he said somewhat jokingly that “Gary Kirsten is from South Africa” which surprised the reporters and even Wahab haha. Not sure if he meant that as a complete joke because of the rumours or if it’s a done deal.

Yousuf announced G Kirsten as head coach basically but the PCB hasn’t

The coaches more or less have been confirmed. After all the ridicule from some posters here, PCB has come out very strong. Gary and Gillepse are way superior than Watson or Hesson.

I personally would have wished they give full authority to Gary on selection and tactics so that captain's powers are culled. Not sure where we are at with that.

If PCB manage to get Kirsten and Gillespie, I would be impressed. Kirsten is regarded as an elite coach and Gillespie is also a very good hire.

Let's see if they can change this team in any significant way. They can't do anything about the structural problems in our system. But they can instill a new philosophy or style of playing within the team. Because it always feels like we are behind the curve and playing outdated cricket as compared to the other teams. Regardless of the format.

The coaches more or less have been confirmed. After all the ridicule from some posters here, PCB has come out very strong. Gary and Gillepse are way superior than Watson or Hesson.

I personally would have wished they give full authority to Gary on selection and tactics so that captain's powers are culled. Not sure where we are at with that.
That's a ridiculous thing to wish for.

Yousuf announced G Kirsten as head coach basically but the PCB hasn’t

Very unprofessional from Yousaf, even if it was a slip of tongue, he should be censured. Not sure if Kirsten wanted his acceptance of the offer revealed to the media at this stage.

So if he is valuable in FRANCHISE then what’s stopping him being a valuable commodity in INTERNATIONAL? For his country? Why is Rizwan not being sold at hundred based on his INTERNATIONAL reputation? Why did he play BPL and not ILT20?

So he could be based somewhere closer to one of his clients, Sandeep Lamichanne.

That's a ridiculous thing to wish for.
Why not? Do you want to rely on someone like Babar who has zero leadership skills, or non existing captaincy IQ? How will change be brought if the dosti yaari champion is back at the helm? The mentality of being losers will continue.

Why not? Do you want to rely on someone like Babar who has zero leadership skills, or non existing captaincy IQ? How will change be brought if the dosti yaari champion is back at the helm? The mentality of being losers will continue.
I would rather wish that some of these coaches 'coached' Babar to captain differently. That would be far better than literally hoping for the captain to be blocked out of decision-making.

The captain is the key decision-maker in any cricket team. Oftentimes his decision-making can be crucial to the outcome of the match. Just because you don't like Babar doesn't mean you wish for his downfall and the downfall of this team.

I would rather wish that some of these coaches 'coached' Babar to captain differently. That would be far better than literally hoping for the captain to be blocked out of decision-making.

The captain is the key decision-maker in any cricket team. Oftentimes his decision-making can be crucial to the outcome of the match. Just because you don't like Babar doesn't mean you wish for his downfall and the downfall of this team.

Babar has now worked under the tutelage and coaching of Misbah ul Haq, Waqar Younis, Wasim Akram, Mohd Yousaf, Saqlain Mushtaq, Mathew Hayden, Philander, Shaun Tait, Morne Morkel, Grant Bradburn, Mickey Arthur, Mohd Akram, Darren Sammy etc.

None of these people could teach him much or atleast he didn't pick much from them no matter how much they tried to baby sit him. These guys can't polish him beyond a certain point, captaincy ultimately is about your instinct and cricket acumen which he lacks.

In the one series Shan Masood captained in Australia, one of the toughest places to lead and tour never mind your first assignment as captain, he showed plenty of innovative out of the box bowling tactics and field placings than Babar ever did in his entire captaincy tenure from 2019 to 2023.

Babar has now worked under the tutelage and coaching of Misbah ul Haq, Waqar Younis, Wasim Akram, Mohd Yousaf, Saqlain Mushtaq, Mathew Hayden, Philander, Shaun Tait, Morne Morkel, Grant Bradburn, Mickey Arthur, Mohd Akram, Darren Sammy etc.

None of these people could teach him much or atleast he didn't pick much from them no matter how much they tried to baby sit him. These guys can't polish him beyond a certain point, captaincy ultimately is about your instinct and cricket acumen which he lacks.

In the one series Shan Masood captained in Australia, one of the toughest places to lead and tour never mind your first assignment as captain, he showed plenty of innovative out of the box bowling tactics and field placings than Babar ever did in his entire captaincy tenure from 2019 to 2023.
Well said. Babar has been monotonous as a captain in all formats, I haven't noticed even 5% improvement in his captaincy style since he took over as captain. No matter who will join as a coach, Babar's approach will remain same

Bro have you heard the phrase "You can't teach someone if they don't wish to learn."

It's why certain students fail at subjects deapite being given world class coaching from harvard level teachers. It's because their not interested and just making up credit hours.

You could resurrect Don bradman himself from the dead and have him coach Babar as a bat and captain and it wouldn't do a damn thing

Best possible guys for the role of head coach of Team Green atm. PCB should finalize things now.

---------------

Former Pakistan head coach Misbah-ul-Haq speaking during an interview:

"I think they are both very experienced cricketers. They have been performers in all formats and have played for top teams. So, they have exposure to international cricket and know all aspects of the game. I'm not sure about Jason Gillespie's current involvement with any team in red-ball cricket, but he is definitely involved with Adelaide Strikers in T20 cricket. However, he was a very good bowler in Test cricket as well. Hopefully, these are good choices, and best wishes to them,"

"Everyone knows about Gary Kirsten, he was a great cricketer, and he has achieved a lot both as a cricketer and as a coach, especially during his tenure with India. So, I think we should hope for the best, welcome them, support them, and give them the opportunity to bring about positive change in the right way,"​

The story on any thread for last 6-7 months

Misbah/Babar/Rizwan: "breathes"

PP: Another Conspiracy, dosti yaari, Haye mera Sarfraz, Saya Corps, Poor Amir, Make Imad captain, #JusticeforAzamKhan, I love India.
@Tags (bro please like my comment, i'll like yours)

It's gotten super annoying and nauseating.

PP: Another Conspiracy, dosti yaari, Haye mera Sarfraz, Saya Corps, Poor Amir, Make Imad captain, #JusticeforAzamKhan, I love India.

Well said.

Hilarious stuff but tbf those creating all the noise are doing it for a reason. The way Babar has been handed back the captaincy after being a constant failure needs that level of noise in the hope that it will wake some knobheads who are happy with the statpadders and their useless match losing records.

Hilarious stuff but tbf those creating all the noise are doing it for a reason. The way Babar has been handed back the captaincy after being a constant failure needs that level of noise in the hope that it will wake some knobheads who are happy with the statpadders and their useless match losing records.
Yes but there's a way to discuss stuff rather than consistent gossiping like high school mean girls.

According to a sports reporter, the PCB decided that they are now going to go by the book for coaching appointments where even if they have sent feelers and reached out to candidates and reached informal agreements with them, they are still posting official job postings and encouraging people to apply. Initially the PCB had zeroed in on Kirsten, Gillespie and they are still the main favourites to be appointed but since the PCB has put in an official job advertisement, they have received 1-2 surprising high profile applications which is now making them ponder and consider additional candidates as well.

According to a sports reporter, the PCB decided that they are now going to go by the book for coaching appointments where even if they have sent feelers and reached out to candidates and reached informal agreements with them, they are still posting official job postings and encouraging people to apply. Initially the PCB had zeroed in on Kirsten, Gillespie and they are still the main favourites to be appointed but since the PCB has put in an official job advertisement, they have received 1-2 surprising high profile applications which is now making them ponder and consider additional candidates as well.
I hope one of them is King Ravi shashtri - the king of good times. :ravi

As none of these guys will make the slightest difference, go back to a respected elder like Mohsin Khan and getting a proper fielding coach to coach the national team and also coach the coaches at the domestic level. The batting and bowling coaches are a total waste of time and have no impact on the players once they reach the higher levels. Mentors should be available if required by players. For example if player is struggling against spin, he should be allowed to ask for specific mentor to work with him on that skill
Under Moshin we lost 5-0 to England in ODi. Had he been our coach for 5 years we would’ve lost ODi status. No team of including associates don’t score 200 runs nowadays. I would rather have Misbah/ Waqar/Saqlain over this big mouth guy.

Back