Salix/NewBery/Laver and wood

spprivate

Debutant
Runs
Hello All,
I am pretty excited to be in this wonderful forum.I am in the look out for a good bat for the season.So far narrowed down to the following

Salix Pod Grade One Cricket Bat
Newbery Mjolnir SPS Cricket Bat
Newbery Thruxton SPS Cricket Bat
Laver&Wood Special Reserve

Play Position(Middle order and reserve opener)
Predominantly front foot player
Moderate bouncy pitches(matted)
Do become aggressive in the end

Priorities
Nice Ping
Pickup and feel
Thanks for the help friends

Salix Pod all the way mate. They are made from oversized cleft which means you can get a big sized bat for the weight with terrific ping.

Salix Pod all the way mate. They are made from oversized cleft which means you can get a big sized bat for the weight with terrific ping.

Not exactly true.
The cleft will be bigger to start with. The density of the willow will be the same. The only benefit is if you wanted to have a higher spine ( aka M&H Distinction ) or if you were making a shorter bat like the black cat joker etc where you could get bigger edges.

From your choices you seem to have a decent budget and you cant go too wrong with any of them.

Last edited:
Not exactly true.
The cleft will be bigger to start with. The density of the willow will be the same. The only benefit is if you wanted to have a higher spine ( aka M&H Distinction ) or if you were making a shorter bat like the black cat joker etc where you could get bigger edges.

From your choices you seem to have a decent budget and you cant go too wrong with any of them.

I thought that oversized cleft were low density willow.

Thanks guys
I have ordered a L&W Private Bin.One thing to highlight is the amazing customer experience .No matter how stingy I was ,they were patient with all my questions and accommodated my requests.Once I have it,will post pics and reviews.Way to go in Customer service.Thanks Andy&James

I thought that oversized cleft were low density willow.

No. All standard clefts will be cut to a set size. Dependent on mother nature a rare low density cleft may appear.

Oversize clefts will be cut larger to make bats with higher spines etc...

Thanks guys
I have ordered a L&W Private Bin.One thing to highlight is the amazing customer experience .No matter how stingy I was ,they were patient with all my questions and accommodated my requests.Once I have it,will post pics and reviews.Way to go in Customer service.Thanks Andy&James

Yes Laver are good to deal with and offer superb customer service. There bats are also in a different class. Good luck with your private bin. Just make sure they check your desired weight before sending it to you as my 3 were all over weight.

Good luck with your new purchase sprivate and thanks d7bow for enlightening me.:)

Laver are very good bats, make sure you give them enough time to open up as they take time to open up.

thanks for the tips d7bow.I will make sure about that.I opted for a second grip and Andy did mention that it will add up 2 oz dead weight.but will keep an eye.

Thanks Blazer and Tendaywala.Yes.One of my front had a laver which took and year to open.I opted for their knocking in service as well.Lets see how it goes.

Back