Shahid Afridi "I won't be continuing in the role of Chief Selector as I have many other commitments"

MenInG

PakPassion Administrator
Staff member
Runs
Shahid Afridi "I won't be continuing in the role of Chief Selector as I have many other commitments"

Speaking exclusively to PakPassion, Shahid Afridi has made the following clarifications regarding his role as the Interim Chief Selector:

"I won't be continuing in the role of Chief Selector as I have many other commitments outside of cricket that need my time"

"I will always be available to offer my services to Pakistan cricket, but I feel that experienced players like myself are better suited to work with players at the junior level such as Under 19s"

Last edited:
Speaking exclusively to PakPassion, Shahid Afridi has made the following clarifications regarding his role as the Interim Chief Selector:

"I won't be continuing in the role of Chief Selector as I have many other commitments outside of cricket that need my time"

"I will always be available to offer my services to Pakistan cricket, but I feel that experienced players like myself are better suited to work with players at the junior level such as Under 19s"

is there any thread available to read full interview?

Its a shame he has taken brave decisions others were reluctant to take and were hindered due to buddy culture.

U-19?

I don't think Afridi will be a good coach at U-19 level. He can be a good T20 spin coach though.

I was pleasantly surprised at how Shahid Afridi handled his brief tenure.

He made some decent calls and despite my initial scepticism I wouldn't have minded him becoming the permanent selector.

I was pleasantly surprised at how Shahid Afridi handled his brief tenure.

He made some decent calls and despite my initial scepticism I wouldn't have minded him becoming the permanent selector.

Mickey Arthur isn’t joining either, as the news has just come out.

Why did he accepted this position in the first place knowing that it's only temporary and being a selector he won't have time to implement his plans in such a short period?

Once again Afridi showing lack of maturity when making decisions.

Why did he accepted this position in the first place knowing that it's only temporary and being a selector he won't have time to implement his plans in such a short period?

Once again Afridi showing lack of maturity when making decisions.

He accepted the job BECAUSE it was temporary. He has admitted it upfront that he won't be able to take it up long term. He is doing far more important work in helping real people with real problems.

U-19?

I don't think Afridi will be a good coach at U-19 level. He can be a good T20 spin coach though.

A T20 spin coach? That's a nothing position. But somehow sounds right for a player with the credentials of Afridi. Leave alone his (non-existent) coaching credentials.

Sooner he leaves the job is better .

Just a question , how many hours a day he has to spend on his job as a selector ?

Look busy, do nothing .

He accepted the job BECAUSE it was temporary. He has admitted it upfront that he won't be able to take it up long term. He is doing far more important work in helping real people with real problems.

Thank you for your input.
I and the rest of the world are well aware that he has lots of important works in life to do. My only question was knowing that he has so many important commitment in his busy life, he should not have accepted this temporary position as a Chief Selector and not make huge claims that he will create two teams etc etc which require long time investment and patience which he doesn't have due to his busy schedule.

Last edited:
He took the job on special request from the chairman to try quick fix as Pakistan team was digging itself into hole, and needed someone to make unbiased selections. His little work will add plenty of value for near future, as we saw with Sarfraz in Tests, Osama, Fakhar and Haris in ODIs already, and withTayyib in reserves may also prove to be good addition. It also buys PCB time to find selector for longer term .

The PCB is trying to convince him to stay on till the 2023 ODI WC.

His foundation is his priority he has always made that clear to all and that is unlikely to change.

Thank you for your input.
I and the rest of the world are well aware that he has lots of important works in life to do. My only question was knowing that he has so many important commitment in his busy life, he should not have accepted this temporary position as a Chief Selector and not make huge claims that he will create two teams etc etc which require long time investment and patience which he doesn't have due to his busy schedule.

Thank you for your input too.

He has given PCB the vision(2 teams) and the required blueprint to execute that vision in his brief but successful stint as selector.

People in PCB begged him to take that position. He doesn't owe you years of his life as selector, watching domestic matches all year round.

[MENTION=131470]gazza619[/MENTION]

I told you he will not continue, but I wish he did. He has done a really good job. Haris Sohail is back because of him.

He has done more good in two weeks than M Wasim did in two years.

I told you he will not continue, but I wish he did. He has done a really good job. Haris Sohail is back because of him.

hope the new selector keeps sohail and doesnt discard him

But he is continuing, as I predicted. He was never interim. I see him as a selector till his bad moves become obvious and media turns against him.

For Pakistan’s sake, let’s hope he continues. I fear we may end up with Misbah as CS once again.

Agreed.

I predicted him to do well. People often wrongfully correlate on field performance with a person’s ability to perform other duties in the cricket structure.

Knew it would be short lived since it was made clear it was a temporary fulfillment. Still, job well done with the time he had.

But he is continuing, as I predicted. He was never interim. I see him as a selector till his bad moves become obvious and media turns against him.

What? He is clearly not continuing.

Are we past fake news and are now entering a delusion phase?

Whilst he had other commitments if you read between the lines I don't think he was overly impressed by recent events.

One being the Shan Masood vice captaincy decision which seems to have been taken without discussions with Babar Azam or Shahid Afridi.

Back