Should the Niqab be banned in public?

No I don't think it should. It would be impossible to police.

But if businesses or other organisations choose to ban it for security reasons then that's their decision and then they should be allowed to make it.

it shouldn't be banned, but private businesses, landlords, etc, should have the right to refuse entry or service to anyone wearing a full face veil if they feel its a security risk.

One thing I notice that a full face veil is too much of an hindrance when crossing a road and during interaction with people. That is an observation that I have noticed over the years while living in Pakistan. That's probably the main reason 90% of females do not follow such a dress code in Pakistan.

Last edited:
the perpetrator of this hideous crime wore a niqab

surely it is a hinderance to police in the identification of the cuplprit ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...olds-no-hate-towards-perpetrator-8483639.html

Vettigo is right, that would open the door to banning hoodies as well, far more crimes are carried out by thugs wearing those.

Why not make up a new law to outlaw niqabs, such as they are regarded as oppressive to women, or can cause suffocation in heat. It doesn't really matter, let's face it, the real reason is that people feel threatened by them, we are really just fishing for an excuse to ban them.

When I mentioned this acid incident one of the replies I got was "she might not have been Muslim"...

The thing about the Niqab is the argument against it is that it becomes harder to identify the person wearing it...

However I believe that wearing a ski mask in public is acceptable so wearing a Niqab shouldn't matter either...

Where the debate is stronger is whether it should be allowed to be worn in a shopping centre or shop for instance...

I don't think you would be able to enter a bank or shopping centre with a mask...and I agree that owners of an establishment have the right to refuse entry to niqabis on the ground of security...newsagents ask people to remove hats for instance...

Last edited:
When I mentioned this acid incident one of the replies I got was "she might not have been Muslim"...

The thing about the Niqab is the argument against it is that it becomes harder to identify the person wearing it...

However I believe that wearing a ski mask in public is acceptable so wearing a Niqab shouldn't matter either...

Where the debate is stronger is whether it should be allowed to be worn in a shopping centre or shop for instance...

I don't think you would be able to enter a bank or shopping centre with a mask...and I agree that owners of an establishment have the right to refuse entry to niqabis on the ground of security...newsagents ask people to remove hats for instance...

They do?

no, there should not be a blanket ban on niqab, unless for security reasons. but if i am walking in the streets with my wife, she has full right to wear a niqab so that others dont stare at her. because lets face it, men in the SC denude a woman just by looking at her. when people say that they have a right to see the others person face. no way. you dont have a right to see others face, face is not public property. a woman has every right to hide her face from men who just want to stare at her just because she is a female. but when needed for security then face should be shown.

it shouldn't be banned, but private businesses, landlords, etc, should have the right to refuse entry or service to anyone wearing a full face veil if they feel its a security risk.

I agree with this.

The veiled woman can always come with a chapperone if visual identification is required.

I was asked to remove my hat in one establishment. There were security cameras in the ceiling which could not see my face. I was happy to comply - it was their house, after all.

Last edited:
I agree with this.

I was asked to remove my hat in one establishment. There were security cameras in the ceiling which could not see my face. I was happy to comply - it was their house, after all.

That would be interesting if a Sikh walked through the door. Especially since they carry knives as well.

Re: Should The Niqab Be Banned In Public

Should be banned in the areas where high security is needed but shouldn't be banned at all as everyone should have the right to wear anything they want.

Some do...its the owners discretion...

Some shops don't allow people in with hoodies...

Its their prerogative...

Bluewater Shopping Centre banned hoodies and caps...

It's a good way to go. Again, turbans might pose a problem.

Turbans don't cover your face so don't see that being an issue

Though I have heard some building workers are not happy that Sikhs that wear turbans don't have to wear a hard hat on sites, not sure if this is true or if it's just xenophobic spin

Turbans don't cover your face so don't see that being an issue

Though I have heard some building workers are not happy that Sikhs that wear turbans don't have to wear a hard hat on sites, not sure if this is true or if it's just xenophobic spin

Caps don't cover your face either but apparently they are banned in Bluewater.

Caps don't cover your face either but apparently they are banned in Bluewater.

I guess some of those hip hop hats have long fronts (I think the official term might be visors) so they can partially hide a persons face from certain angles

There is no such ban here that I am aware of BUT then we Northerners are more civilised than the South :yk :yk

My understanding on niqab ( covering of the face) maybe totally wrong but i was tought that, back in the day, niqab was only required for women from noble families or those directly related to the prophet' (pbuh) i.e wives and daughters, it was not a requirement for the general public. But now most woman who don the niqab like to feel as those they are have the same social status as one of the prophets wives or daughters. Again i maybe totally wrong, in this day in age, i feel it's a bit OTT.

That would be interesting if a Sikh walked through the door. Especially since they carry knives as well.

The turban does not cover the face, so positive identification from above is possible.

As for knives - that would be a matter for the management, but this particular place didn't pat people down as they went in.

They were more worried about herberts in baseball caps and hoodies dealing drugs, I think.

It may be their prerogative but I don't see how its a good way to go...seems silly to me...especially considering wearing a hoodie in itself doesn't obscure the face nor do many types of hats...it should be on a case by case basis rather than a blanket rule...if someone is obscuring their face then it should be an issue...

On the point of turbans they don't obscure the face...someone else can confirm but I don't believe people are prevented from wearing du rags anywhere?...and to my knowledge beanies aren't banned?...baseball caps CAN obscure the face...the others can't...

Niqab's obviously do...

In terms of in public...hoodies like this aren't banned...so I don't see on what basis you could ban a niqab in public...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-brand-evil-hoodies-banned.html#axzz2KE802g5c

It may be their prerogative but I don't see how its a good way to go...seems silly to me...especially considering wearing a hoodie in itself doesn't obscure the face nor do many types of hats...it should be on a case by case basis rather than a blanket rule...if someone is obscuring their face then it should be an issue...

On the point of turbans they don't obscure the face...someone else can confirm but I don't believe people are prevented from wearing du rags anywhere?...and to my knowledge beanies aren't banned?...baseball caps CAN obscure the face...the others can't...

Niqab's obviously do...

In terms of in public...hoodies like this aren't banned...so I don't see on what basis you could ban a niqab in public...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-brand-evil-hoodies-banned.html#axzz2KE802g5c

I think the issue is tricky because IMO the calls for bans on niqab are less about safety and more about public fear and hostility. In reality, how many crimes are committed by people wearing niqabs? So when we are comparing with hoodies we are comparing for different reasons in reality, although obviously no one wants to say it outright.

I think the issue is tricky because IMO the calls for bans on niqab are less about safety and more about public fear and hostility. In reality, how many crimes are committed by people wearing niqabs?

Sure. Niqabs don't throw acid - lunatic extremists do.

Yeah I can attest to the thing about caps hats and hoodies, a lot of places particularly smaller establishments ask me to remove those. I'll just be like, yeah sure no problem. Am not sure if they have been faced with a similar situation of religious dress or what they would do in such a case, not really something I've thought about to be honest.

Personally speaking, I'd be okay with a ban on niqabs, I think they look hideous, and I don't see any religious merit in them. They were banned by Ataturk in Turkey, and still are as far as I know. But my reasons would be to not create a barrier with the rest of the population (the real reason) but of course that would get shot down straight away.

Should The Niqab Be Banned In Public

lol. Armed robberies have been carried out using ski masks, balaclavas and scarfs for decades but these items of clothing haven't been banned but let's ban Muslim dress. Retarded logic at best.

This .

Yep,ban Niqab because animals do not use veil...basically we are animals,so niqab is quite unnatural thing for animals ..:facepalm:

I don't really see how religious dress could be a security risk. Are there any incidents on record of a turban or niqab being used to cover the identity of a criminal? (there are plenty involving balaclavas and hoodies hence the occasional ban)

I don't really see how religious dress could be a security risk. Are there any incidents on record of a turban or niqab being used to cover the identity of a criminal? (there are plenty involving balaclavas and hoodies hence the occasional ban)

there was the somali who shot the wpc in bradford

didn't he try to flee the country in a burka ?

Yes so a murderer covers his face with a burka so it's the burka's fault. :)))

Do you want scarfs, wolly hats, ski masks, balaclavas and any type of cloth which can cover your face including socks if wrapped correctly to be banned?

Are you a closest nudist? :asadrauf

Ridiculous OP from one who has history of being a bit over the top.

Don't mind it being asked to be removed or identity verified before entering a shop or business though. You can't expect other people to tiptoe around your beliefs.

Yes so a murderer covers his face with a burka so it's the burka's fault. :)))

Do you want scarfs, wolly hats, ski masks, balaclavas and any type of cloth which can cover your face including socks if wrapped correctly to be banned?

Are you a closest nudist? :asadrauf

bloke was over 6" tall :)))

seriously though is it even a religious garment

i know many muslim females who don't and would never wear one

predates islam doesn't it

last time i looked into it i think modest dress was the order of the day

this type of garment takes modesty to the extreme

it does seem particularly suited to shoplifting purposes though: face is covered and plenty of room to store to the booty out of sight

Last edited:

I agree with KKWC, that's an isolated incident and can't be blamed on the choice of dress, unless I'm missing something.

Here's one: should people have to remove any kind of face covering when giving testimony or witness in court? Seems a more layered and complex question.

There was a debate on The Big Questions about it, I couldn't make my mind up.

[utube]ZWbd3rFgey0[/utube]

I agree with KKWC, that's an isolated incident and can't be blamed on the choice of dress, unless I'm missing something.

the obvious thing about the burka is that it can be used to conceal identity and makes identification nigh on impossible

There was this a few years ago:

The owners of an Asian jewellery shop which was recently robbed have decided to turn away people wearing the traditional veil worn by Muslim women.

ATAA Jewellers in the west end of Glasgow was raided by two Asian men entirely covered apart from their eyes.

The pair wore full Muslim female dress, including the Niqab headwear, and were carrying handbags.

The two girls working at the time were left so shaken there are plans for a sign banning anything covers the face.

The store's owners said they think it is an idea that will be taken up by other businesses.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/glasgow_and_west/8021627.stm

But these cases are very very rare. It's not a valid reason for an outright public ban. As for businesses banning it on the grounds of security like this, well that's their right to do so.

Personally speaking, I'd be okay with a ban on niqabs, I think they look hideous, and I don't see any religious merit in them. They were banned by Ataturk in Turkey, and still are as far as I know. But my reasons would be to not create a barrier with the rest of the population (the real reason) but of course that would get shot down straight away.

Lol your seriously going to use Ataturk as an Islamic source?...the guy despised Islam...

Also you believing something looks hideous is hardly a justification for banning something now is it?...

And whilst you may not believe there is religious merit in it doesn't mean those who do wear it see it the same way...they wear it because it is an obligation...

And frankly as I mentioned in my initial post you can wear a ski mask in public...on what basis is that fine and this is not?...

Lol your seriously going to use Ataturk as an Islamic source?...the guy despised Islam...

Also you believing something looks hideous is hardly a justification for banning something now is it?...

And whilst you may not believe there is religious merit in it doesn't mean those who do wear it see it the same way...they wear it because it is an obligation...

And frankly as I mentioned in my initial post you can wear a ski mask in public...on what basis is that fine and this is not?...

I wasn't really saying that Ataturk banned the veil as an Islamic authority, maybe it read like that because of the preceding sentence. Banning the niqab because it looks hideous isn't justification, you are right. it would just make life a lot easier for the rest of us because it wouldn't be used as a tool to whip up hostility. Ever since I can remember, every negative headline about Islam has been accompanied by a picture of a woman in a burka. Even well before 9/11.

And here lies a fair compromise...

It is, but even then, wouldn't it be called Islamophobic and stories would start popping up in the Mirror and Metro 'Muslim Uni student shockingly told to remove veil to buy sandwich' (the security guard at my local Tesco Express always makes me take my beanie off). So best to leave religious dress alone, or else this can seem discriminatory/targeted even if it's not.

I haven't read all replies but responding to OP, it is segregation to 'force' someone to uncover her and it goes against one's basic liberty.

That's my honest opinion. No one in my family uses hijab/niqab... and we are proud Muslims

no, there should not be a blanket ban on niqab, unless for security reasons. but if i am walking in the streets with my wife, she has full right to wear a niqab so that others dont stare at her. because lets face it, men in the SC denude a woman just by looking at her. when people say that they have a right to see the others person face. no way. you dont have a right to see others face, face is not public property. a woman has every right to hide her face from men who just want to stare at her just because she is a female. but when needed for security then face should be shown.

Men all around the world, not only SC.

It is, but even then, wouldn't it be called Islamophobic and stories would start popping up in the Mirror and Metro 'Muslim Uni student shockingly told to remove veil to buy sandwich' (the security guard at my local Tesco Express always makes me take my beanie off). So best to leave religious dress alone, or else this can seem discriminatory/targeted even if it's not.

Has there been any stories like that in the Mirror or Metro? I don't read either, but I would be amazed if a commercial paper like the Mirror printed anything like that.

Tory councillor suspended for posting a Facebook picture which 'compared Muslim children in burkas to bin bags'

Enfield councillor Chris Joannides suspended by Conservatives in Enfield

Asked friends to send him football scores during meetings and complained about missing his favourite TV shows

article-2274897-1767B6B0000005DC-266_634x466.jpg

There is no crime threat from women who wear the burka in the UK. These innocent women are targeted for daily abuse and ridicule from what is supposed to be a civlised society. This is the same sickness as fascism and supremacy against a small minority just because they are different. Most people in society are prone to having prejudiced feelings so the media demonises these women as part of their government foreign war policy. It's amazing how many dumb sheep out there fall this.

Last edited:
Has there been any stories like that in the Mirror or Metro? I don't read either, but I would be amazed if a commercial paper like the Mirror printed anything like that.

The Mirror and Metro are more left-wing and a tiny bit less rubbishy than the likes of the Sun and Express, so I was conjecturing on that basis. Metro is underrated actually, it's even readable at times. But religious dress should probably be left alone, for a number of reasons, so it's kind of a moot point.

ban it ... and rescue brain-washed women...

banning for security reason, ..absurd

ban it ... and rescue brain-washed women...

banning for security reason, ..absurd

This is the UK, not Dehli. Here we have to go through due process of law, we can't just send goons round to arrest teenage girls and smash up their family property.

backwardness
misconception

That's your personal view of the dress code, others would like to see bikinis banned for the same reasons. Early man never used to wear much clothes according to evolutionists, going a bit further backward here. I don't think the deciding vote is with you.

No ban could ever be implemented as people in the UK and Canada cover their faces in the streets because it's often freezing cold like tonight here. It would be daft of you think I wouldn't put a scarf on my face in the cold because the police might arrest me. lol Wake up dude.

The Mirror and Metro are more left-wing and a tiny bit less rubbishy than the likes of the Sun and Express, so I was conjecturing on that basis. Metro is underrated actually, it's even readable at times. But religious dress should probably be left alone, for a number of reasons, so it's kind of a moot point.

Metro is effectively Daily Mail . .

wearing burka as a sign of modesty is backwardness but having surgically enhanced body to appear more attractive to men is women emancipation.

Covering of your face should absolutely be banned in Public places. Your face is your identity, by covering your face you're basically covering your identity.

Covering of your face should absolutely be banned in Public places. Your face is your identity, by covering your face you're basically covering your identity.

Why do you need to show your identity walking home at midnight in the freezing cold through a town centre?

People have the right to cover parts of their face if they want to.

I have sometimes wondered why this is such a huge debate though. As far as I know (forgive me for any ignorance in the coming statement) the veil is not compulsory for Muslim women, just as the the beard is not compulsory for Muslim men. Not that it ultimately matters anyway: if people want to or don't want to make a religious or aesthetic choice over their appearance, that is their human right.

I have sometimes wondered why this is such a huge debate though. As far as I know (forgive me for any ignorance in the coming statement) the veil is not compulsory for Muslim women, just as the the beard is not compulsory for Muslim men. Not that it ultimately matters anyway: if people want to or don't want to make a religious or aesthetic choice over their appearance, that is their human right.

For those who wear a Burqa they do it because they believe it to be obligatory...with men and the beard it falls either into either obligation or recommendation...there are varying opinions on what is compulsory...the opinions aren't uniform...the scholarship for the obligation of the beard is more commonplace...although the opinion of the burqa being obligatory is one Islamic opinion...

Why do you think it's a debate? Why should where a piece of cloth matter so much as to where it's placed on the female body?

Why do you need to show your identity walking home at midnight in the freezing cold through a town centre?

So women only wear burkah at midnight walking home alone?
And if a woman is walking alone in a burkah you think no one would find out that the person wearing a burkah is a woman?

Last edited:
So women only wear burkah at midnight walking home alone?
And if a woman is walking alone in a burkah you think no one would find out that the person wearing a burkah is a woman?

lol. You miss a simple point.

You cannot implement a law which aims to stop people from covering their face. If it is only aimed at women wearing a certain dress then it's a fascist law attacking a certain group. Laws are made for all not just for some.

its a debate because regular folk like me and you cannot find any logic in why anyone would want to wear such a thing, so no matter how broad minded we are we think that the people who wear them have in some way been intimidated or brain washed into wearing something like that.

what rankles with us thus is what the complete burka and niqab stands for, and hence we struggle with our own ideas of liberalism when we know deep down everyone has the right to wear whatever they like.

the truth is as far as women's fashion goes their are innumerable influences which could be called "brain washing", but just as women have a right to dress like slags and not be targeted for it politically (we don't complain because we like it), so these women have a right to dress covered from head to toe.

p.s. by the same measure people should not get offended when someone is critical of people dressing like this. people have been mocking the way others dress for ever, when it comes to something of which even the religious merit is fairly questionable, the indignant retorts just comes across as a whiny excuse to play the racism card.

its a debate because regular folk like me and you cannot find any logic in why anyone would want to wear such a thing, so no matter how broad minded we are we think that the people who wear them have in some way been intimidated or brain washed into wearing something like that.

what rankles with us thus is what the complete burka and niqab stands for, and hence we struggle with our own ideas of liberalism when we know deep down everyone has the right to wear whatever they like.

the truth is as far as women's fashion goes their are innumerable influences which could be called "brain washing", but just as women have a right to dress like slags and not be targeted for it politically (we don't complain because we like it), so these women have a right to dress covered from head to toe.

p.s. by the same measure people should not get offended when someone is critical of people dressing like this. people have been mocking the way others dress for ever, when it comes to something of which even the religious merit is fairly questionable, the indignant retorts just comes across as a whiny excuse to play the racism card.

a very eloquent post young man

:14:

Because the Old Bill might arrest you on suspicion of being someone they are looking for!

what about the saudi cleric that thinks that having 2 eyes exposed is too liberal and excessive

instead he recommends a single slit niqab with the wearer looking through one eye only

please tell me this is a myth !

on a more serious note i think there is a market oportunity in the extreme moderate dress market

fabric manufacturers should be looking at the idea of a 2 way fabric for the eye section of the niqab

fabric that is totally opaque but allows the wearer to look out whilst simultaneously having the eyes totally covered

i can see the saudis salivating as it hits the catwalks of riyadh

Last edited:

Good answer. And great post. :)

wearing a niqaab is ones own personal choice and similarly the turbans,head scarf and burkha.i think government should not interfere in such personal matters. face should be shown in cases of security concern.banning any thing will indirectly hurt their religious sentiments and will make them antinationals.

Agreed...

In the street? No. I do believe however businesses and the like should have the right to deny you access if you don't comply with their dress rules ie. facial coverings, hats, scarves, balaclavas, motorcycle helmets, hoodies, trainers etc.

Assume people who want it banned also want hoodies and balaclavas banned too ?

Because the Old Bill might arrest you on suspicion of being someone they are looking for!

lol. Don't worry the old bill can ask to see your face if society is in great danger. In your mind everyone should show their face all the time, day or night, hot or cold just in case the old bill is looking for Jack the Ripper. You do come out with some serious foolishness but it's highly amusing.

I find it hard to believe that a niqabi was crying acid in the middle of night walking by herself with no mahram and suddenly pours it onto a stranger.

This story screams fake to me

Looks like even the Police are suspecting this 'crime' has been faked.

Well done to those who didn't fall for it. But shame on those who will grasp on anything to troll about Islam. Maybe they should have a good look at themselves.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Society/article1220360.ece

Did acid attack woman harm herself?

Officers wanting to know why Naomi Oni had researched acid attacks before being scarred have angered her family

THE family of a young woman badly scarred in an acid attack fear too little is being done to catch the perpetrator amid police suspicions that she may have inflicted the injuries on herself.

Those close to Naomi Oni are concerned that detectives are putting too much emphasis on a single “crazy” line of inquiry after examining her computer use. Police are understood to have discovered that Oni, 20, searched the internet for websites about acid attacks before she was hurt in the incident at the end of last year.

The searches included material on Katie Piper, the former model who had sulphuric acid thrown in her face in an attack arranged by her former boyfriend.

Officers have seized Oni's laptop and asked relatives whether the shop assistant, who worked at Victoria Secrets lingerie chain could have harmed herself.

Last edited:
Back