South Africa vs Australia | 3rd Test | Cape Town | 03/03/14 | Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bat till hour or so after lunch tomorrow, score 150-200 runs in that time, and then declare, I think, is a good plan.

The follow on should have been enforced.

25 off 17 for Warner 1 off 19 for Rogers

Effective lead 234

A very disappointing performance by SA for the first 3 days of this test. Team needs to do something to not make it 4 in a row.

Solid day, bowling them out in less than 90 overs on this pitch is pretty good although the faf misses will cost us maybe as many as 30-40 more overs at them in the 2nd dig.

Still if we bat well we will have 4 and a half sessions bowling at them to win the series, we would have killed for that pre series.

Bat till hour or so after lunch tomorrow, score 150-200 runs in that time, and then declare, I think, is a good plan.

The follow on should have been enforced.

Nah, harris looks real tired and patto is a spray gun right now so i think they need the rest and have to hope the pitch gets a little tricky from late on day 4.

If it does start to do more we will be glad we aren't chasing a total late.

south africa to be set 400 in four and a half sessions, most likely

They really are missing kallis

A series of fluctuating fortunes. Australia dominated the first, Saffers took the second and now Australia are in the driver's seat again. It is a fiercely fought series, but not closely fought by any means.

If any series deserved 5 tests then this was the one. Eng-Aus and Eng-Ind having 5 tests are meaningless.

Only draw or Aussie win possible. So tired of meekly folding over like this, only Faf and Vern showed any fight. Well done to the Aussies though, I guess they deserve to win, all things considered.

Only draw or Aussie win possible. So tired of meekly folding over like this, only Faf and Vern showed any fight. Well done to the Aussies though, I guess they deserve to win, all things considered.

This series has been that way. Aus folded meekly twice and SA folded meekly 3 times so far. What SA does in the last inning of this series will decide the final result.

Can't rule out a successful chase for SA here, they have chased 400+ against us before and should have chased 450+ vs india.

Their best bet might actually be keeping it real tight in the morning session, clarke unlike most skippers won't necessary bat SA out of the game, i think he should but if things are moving slowly and push comes to shove he will make a declaration SA can chase.

Looks like Aussies are going to win this easily. The saffers must be hoping for rain or Faf and co to tuk tuk for a day and a half. It shows how much they are missing the services of Kallis the legend :kallis

This series has been that way. Aus folded meekly twice and SA folded meekly 3 times so far. What SA does in the last inning of this series will decide the final result.
We shouldn't be in a position where we have to fight back in the 2nd innings - it's been happening far too often recently because they're not performing in the 1st innings. And it doesn't help when you lead bowler is injured and the others are looking lifeless.
Can't rule out a successful chase for SA here, they have chased 400+ against us before and should have chased 450+ vs india.

Their best bet might actually be keeping it real tight in the morning session, clarke unlike most skippers won't necessary bat SA out of the game, i think he should but if things are moving slowly and push comes to shove he will make a declaration SA can chase.
Not sure if there'll be time for a big chase, unless Aus scores at about 100 per session and declares at tea tomorrow. That should leave about 400 to chase in 4 sessions.

We shouldn't be in a position where we have to fight back in the 2nd innings - it's been happening far too often recently because they're not performing in the 1st innings. And it doesn't help when you lead bowler is injured and the others are looking lifeless.

Agreed. Trying to play those Faf type innings all the time gets irritating. No need to get into those positions so frequently. Since Steyn was out, batsmen needed to do a much better job in this pitch in first inning itself.

Not sure if there'll be time for a big chase, unless Aus scores at about 100 per session and declares at tea tomorrow. That should leave about 400 to chase in 4 sessions.

I am kind of sure that Aus will make 200 runs till tea if they don't get bowled out. Enough time for all results.

I really doubt that Aus will bat till tea unless they are in back foot with few quick wickets very early. My guess is 10 overs before the tea. Not getting FaF today may cost them this game now.

Last edited:
Yeah it's unlikely but if we lost early wickets(warner in particular) early and got bogged down i could actually see clarke setting SA 400 or even less.

I can't see us batting till tea no matter how slow the run rate.

Yeah it's unlikely but if we lost early wickets(warner in particular) early and got bogged down i could actually see clarke setting SA 400 or even less.

I can't see us batting till tea no matter how slow the run rate.

We did roll them in a bit over 2 1/2 sessions today. 4 sessions might be enough to bowl them out unless they go Faf-style and block which they didn't today. They were trying to play their shots today.

It's still a good batting wicket IMO.

Series is going as expected.

SA missing Kallis and Aussies are in red-hot form.

It's their time.

We did roll them in a bit over 2 1/2 sessions today. 4 sessions might be enough to bowl them out unless they go Faf-style and block which they didn't today. They were trying to play their shots today.

It's still a good batting wicket IMO.

If SA loses 2 quick wickets then I can bet that you will see typical FaF kind of innings. It depends on how well the top 2-3 batsmen play. If they play well then chase will be on otherwise it's going to be FaF kinda knocks.

Don't forget, Smith wants to avoid losing a lot more than winning the series.

Can't wait to see India, England and Australia as the top 3 in Test Cricket.. :hamster:

Tameez se baat kar hero. Btw.. even after all that, India is one of the top 3, shows how crap others are. :D

yea yea could not manage to win a single game in last 15 odis against quality teams and talks about rankings...:kohli

yea yea could not manage to win a single game in last 15 odis against quality teams and talks about rankings...:kohli

Yes.. our form is like Usain Bolt slowing down during last 10 metres in China Olympics. We were so far ahead, that even 15 losses were not enough to push us down. :msd

Can't see the Proteas go down without a fight. Smith would want to go out on a high, Philander would be feeling like a cornered tiger and Faf would be looking to make Boycott proud.

All three results are still possible.

David Warner has brought up his 50 from only 41 balls. There isn't a finer player in the world than Warner when your team is leading by 150+ at the end of the first innings (or when you've bowled them out cheaply on day 1)- he is so good at kicking the opposition when they're down. 4 centuries, if you include the 180 against India at the WACA, in these circumstances.

I fancy him to go on and make another ton here, and if he sticks around for another 20 overs or so, South Africa could be chasing 400+ with Australia having five complete sessions to bowl them out, rather than four-and-a-bit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back