South Africa vs India | 1st test | Chennai | 26/3/2008 to 30/3/2008

PlanetPakistan

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Match about to start. Arun Lal is talking about the pitch.

Dry pitch! It will turn in to a spinner's paradise. Toss will be important.

hasan316 said:
India is too good these days in all areas yaar.
INDare the favorites to win the series but it will be close. The Saffers have really improved their batting skill against the spinners

hasan316 said:
I want to see Dhoni hit a big century.

Hope he does not have to come early enough to score big. Any way lets see what SA can put up.

Saffers are the worst at playing spinners. Forget Tests even in ODIs they cant handle spinners.

Expect them to give a tough fight in this series though !!

Saffies bowling attack is quite strong. They might miss Nel's crazy energy on the field

Random Aussie said:
Yar was being sarcastic :D

You would think with all the BCCI money they could make a decent pitch

Impressed. You been learning. How many other words you know.

Well Kumble has a deep point in at the 15 over mark. Very attacking.

Excellent start for the Saffies, they are a different team when Smith in particular is playing well.

Harby and Kumble tightening things up here.

Sreesanth is a worry in that he always seems to concede a lot of boundaries.

Keep believing that myth about S.a can't play spinners ...we love it . There is a reason we have just about the best record in the sub continent.

saffer said:
Keep believing that myth about S.a can't play spinners ...we love it . There is a reason we have just about the best record in the sub continent.

Was wondering where you were - good start by Muppet eh?

Was wondering where you were - good start by Muppet eh?

He has been on good form all season. Am expecting a few runs from him this series , even though of our batters he's probably worst against the spin .

saffer said:
He has been on good form all season. Am expecting a few runs from him this series , even though of our batters he's probably worst against the spin .
Mckienze looks quite good now Saffer. I remember watching him back in 2000 and he seemed to have the talent but not a very good temperament.

safffer I am not pleased. I Feel we should aim for 150 every session and should try to end this game within 3 days so we can enjoy our time here. what do you think?

100 up

Only 25 overs bowled with 2 spinners - India continuing with their poor over rates....

Amir said:
safffer I am not pleased. I Feel we should aim for 150 every session and should try to end this game within 3 days so we can enjoy our time here. what do you think?

Yeah, right. Keep it up, you might just about manage to cling onto a draw!

Mckienze looks quite good now Saffer. I remember watching him back in 2000 and he seemed to have the talent but not a very good temperament.

He worked his way back into the side with great form on the local league. I think his supermodel girlfriend might have threatened to leave him if he didn't make the national side. Take a look and I think you will agree that's enough motivation to urge anyman to get back into form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMnXkDZOXgM

He's a much better player now than before , that's for sure .

Last edited:

Ha ha ha

To be honest I think India banked on batting first with the wicket spinning on the last days . The wicket is not swining , bouncing or seaming at all which will render Steyn , Morkel and Ntini useless....I don't think harris can bowl then out alone . Maybe Hashim Amla and Greame Smith can drop down a few spinners ..but this match will probably be a draw. Boring by the people who prepared the pitch.....you have to put something there for the seamers...you can't just hope to win by batting first and playing spinners....far too negative....

If the series is drawn I think S.a will go above India in the table too .

saffer said:
He worked his way back into the side with great form on the local league. I think his supermodel girlfriend might have threatened to leave him if he didn't make the national side. Take a look and I think you will agree that's enough motivation to urge anyman to get back into form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMnXkDZOXgM

He's a much better player now than before , that's for sure .
Nice! Yeah you need to be an international player or better yet an IPL player because i am guessing the maintenance charges on that product are quite high.

LOL cricinfo - "when has Harbajan Singh seriously troubled a world class batsman in Test cricket?" Ahem try last series Ricky Ponting. Some people have short memories.

109-for 0 .....what would be a good first innings score ? 450 plus ?

450 will be excellent. It will be interesting to see how Morkel and Steyn do on this lifeless pitch and against quality batsmen

450 will be excellent. It will be interesting to see how Morkel and Steyn do on this lifeless pitch and against quality batsmen

I dont think there's much in the wicket for them. Party ends for steyn this test I think. Without the swing he's just an above average medium quick bowler . Morkel won't be too scary without bounce around . With that said Steyn's reputation might be worth a wicket or two for him .

saffer said:
I dont think there's much in the wicket for them. Party ends for steyn this test I think. Without the swing he's just an above average medium quick bowler . Morkel won't be too scary without bounce around . With that said Steyn's reputation might be worth a wicket or two for him .
yeah thats why they better keep up this scoring rate because SA will need a lot of time to bowl IND out twice.

How about that catch then? For my money dropped....or at very least very understandible why the umpire might have thought so...

saffer said:
How about that catch then? For my money dropped....or at very least very understandible why the umpire might have thought so...
50-50...because the ball was never fully in his gloves.
Very very hard to say.

50-50...because the ball was never fully in his gloves.
Very very hard to say.

I remember something about the has to control getting rid of the ball too .Gibbs world cup catch of steve waugh anyone ?

four 4's off the over for smith of sree ....(I don't want to be too obnoxious , but how this guy managed to do well against us last time is a mystery)

Amla , Kallis and then prince to come....oh man....that doesn't sound a very exciting combination . Least they could do was split that up with devilliers to save me dying from boredom .

Test Cricket in India = ZzZZZzZZzzzzZZZzzZZZzZZ

Test Cricket in India = ZzZZZzZZzzzzZZZzzZZZzZZ

yeah.....always will be until they get a team that can win without having to resort to winning the toss and loading the team with spinners . S.A play spin well anyway so it was never a good idea....boring as hell !

Test cricket in India is fun to watch kashif.... surely u might see some flat tracks.. but what matter is the end result.. they produce some good results.. as pitch doesn't tend to remain the same through out 5 days..

pak curators need to learn.. and hope not make any pitches like the one they made during 2005 tour of India to pak..

when pak had made about 500 and INdia ended up 400 odd for just 1 out and game was drawn..

however, here saffers doing well..

smith played a good decent knock..

mckenzie lookz kool

toss, as if India set up the toss..

India has been defeated just twice @ home in past 20 years mate

that says for itself..

Last edited:
I must say I quite like Neil Mckenzie to (WATCH) unlike the other boring SA players, always wondered where he dissappeared to..

competitive ? we prepared the most disgusting pitches and in the process we injured 2 star bowlers !

The fact that malik was thinking that mister danish will win us the series cost us. we were always behind the saffies in that series because we didnt have a decent spinner and the pacers got NOTHING out of the pitches.

For me it feels like Amla and Kallis are like the Yousuf and Younis partnership for Pakistan, whenever they come together more often than not they are involved in massive partnerships, not to jinx them or anything :D

bablu_khan said:
not really.. i think the recent pak vs saf series was nice competititve

It was anything but competitive, our bowlers Asif, Gul have probably been traumatized since then.

After the high of Australian pitches and gali galoch, we are brought back to earth to watch good, stolid cricket the way it should be. Batsmen taking a single every 3 overs poker faced, bowlers toiling away and sweating with a despairing look. And not a single word uttered by or to anyone. :9:

What have they done to the Chennai track??

It used to be pacy just a couple of seasons ago - the India-Australia test in 2004 had Dizzy Gillesppie wreaking havoc.

Dhonifan said:
After the high of Australian pitches and gali galoch, we are brought back to earth to watch good, stolid cricket the way it should be. Batsmen taking a single every 3 overs poker faced, bowlers toiling away and sweating with a despairing look. And not a single word uttered by or to anyone. :9:

What the heck is wrong with you man, this one seems like a dead pancake last series in India vs SA saw them scoring over 500 and ended up in a draw...

Romali_rotti said:
I must say I quite like Neil Mckenzie to (WATCH) unlike the other boring SA players, always wondered where he dissappeared to..

I agree . AB & Gibbs are other two who are good to watch as well ...but other wise SA batsmen are really boring !!

Kallis walked, thats awesome sight to see great sportsmanship from the champ bat, well done :14:

Solid stuff from the tourists here. An excellent first day for them so far with 20 or so overs to go in the day

I agree . AB & Gibbs are other two who are good to watch as well ...but other wise SA batsmen are really boring !!

The run rate is 3.75 . But I agree with prince , amla and kallis ...S.a are carrying one slow batsman too many. Actually amla and kallis are good enough to bat much faster if only they would choose to .

but need to watch out not to lose another wicket.

300-4 would be acceptable at end of play. Anything over 400 should put pressure on India .

Last edited:
Lanat Hai India Per, Duurr Lanat...with all the supposed progress they made recently in the pace department, they are playing with two pacers and Sehwag as their 5th bowler!

Surely days of the opening batsmen also opening the bowling attack must be coming soon too :16:

Lanat Hai India Per, Duurr Lanat...with all the supposed progress they made recently in the pace department, they are playing with two pacers and Sehwag as their 5th bowler!

Surely days of the opening batsmen also opening the bowling attack must be coming soon too

Yeah . It's not very threatening . Preparing flat pitches and hoping to win the toss .

Prince is out . chance for india to take the new ball and get one or maybe even two more .

Let's see if amla and De villiers....two players I rate highly as future great batsmen ....can start to really shine in test cricket .

or a collapse is on the cards?

any live internet streaming/highlights etc for this game??

This is going to be a tough little phase for DeVilliers. He is a superb player when on the attack. To curb his natural instincts and get to the end of day's play would be a nice little challenge.

We should use it against him and pick him up before he comes back to dent us tomorrow.

saffer said:
I'll take 300 for 4 . Puts S.A on top if it stays that way .
Yep, its been South Africa's day except for an even third session. However, a good session tomorrow with the new ball will put India back in the driver's seat.

Restricting SAF. to around about 430-450 would be job well done from here on.

Back