Suggestions to improve the domestic structure in Pakistan?

WebGuru

Senior ODI Player
Runs
Post of the Week
I have seen already a lot of debate in different threads where people want to replace one player with another, replace captain and change coach etc.

But i personally feel we should start from domestic structure first we need to clear the mess in our domestic structure so let's have a healthy debate here in this thread.

I will start with 2 suggestions:

1. I was just checking the number of teams in Quaid-e-Azam Trophy and found that there were 14 regional teams involved, thn i checked the number of teams in President's Trophy and there were 10 corporate teams. I personally feel the first step should be to decrease the number of domestic teams to make it more competitive and strong and i think 6 domestic teams will be enough just like Sheffield Shield in Australia.

2. All the domestic matches should be televised (currently only finals or domestic t20 competitions are televised) so everyone can see the real quality in domestic instead of checking the stats of players after the tournament is over.

Your Suggestions?

Last edited:
Here is the list of teams involved in both domestic FC competitions:

Quaid-e-Azam Trophy
Karachi Blues
Islamabad
Lahore Ravi
Sialkot
Multan
Quetta
Peshawar
Lahore Shalimar
Rawalpindi
Karachi Whites
Hyderabad
Abbottabad
Bahawalpur
Faisalabad

President's Trophy
SNGPL
HBL
KRL
PIA
WAPDA
ZTBL
NBP
SBP
PQA
UBL

Last edited:
What about the quality of grounds there should be a system to ensure quality maintenance of playing grounds even if that means some of the teams have to play at others ground. A penalty should be imposed in case they do not abide by the rules

Quaid-e-Azam trophy is a sub-standard tournament, only it's Semi-finals and Final should have First class status...

1. There should be Super-4 Tournament for all Formats in which top-4 teams of Faysal bank T20, Faysal bank One day tournament and Presidents trophy participate. All the matches of this tournament should be broadcasted...

2. Enlist 40 best players in Pakistan's Domestic season and divide them into 3 teams, Pakistan blue, PAkistan greens and PAkistan whites and organize a triangular tournament

have 6 teams

run three tournaments parallel together i.e the fc 4day, 50 over competition and t20 cup so all tournaments finish together and don't start one after another in a disorganised manner, this can only be done if the teams are reduced to a small number like 6.

with the 6 teams make private companies sponsor them like south african franchise model.

6 teams should be made to select 22 players for the playing season

the pitches that the matches are played on should be bought to international standard and be sporting wickets.

3/4 pitches can be used throughout the season to keep running costs down.

with 6 teams make them have a second xi team, which will be a second xi cricket where they will also have 4day/50 over / and t20 competitions with this second xis make sure all the players are under 25, so this will be a sort of youth league for the 6 teams and act as a eventual feeder system for young players to move to the main team.

also to avoid any regionalism the teams should be named like lions, wolves, dolphins, tigers etc
with a coporate sponsor

so example

zarai tariqiati tigers

krl lions

1 There should be something similar to central contracts for these players which is assessed annually so that the best possible players in the country are paid decent wages and others compete to improve.

2 The PCB make it compulsary for each club to set up camps to unearth talented players. To encourage clubs into doing this a reward system should be introduced for clubs who find new talent.

3 Practice with tape ball, and practice all year round 6 days a week minimum

have 6 teams

run three tournaments parallel together i.e the fc 4day, 50 over competition and t20 cup so all tournaments finish together and don't start one after another in a disorganised manner, this can only be done if the teams are reduced to a small number like 6.

with the 6 teams make private companies sponsor them like south african franchise model.

the pitches that the matches are played on should be bought to international standard and be sporting wickets.

with 6 teams make them have a second xi team, which will be a second xi cricket where they will also have 4day/50 over / and t20 competitions with this second xis make sure all the players are under 25, so this will be a sort of youth league for the 6 teams and act as a eventual feeder system for young players to move to the main team.

also to avoid any regionalism the teams should be named like lions, wolves, dolphins, tigers etc
with a coporate sponsor

so example

zarai tariqiati tigers

krl lions

+1

More suggestions guys. Let's have a healthy debate here to start from basics instead of replacing one failure with another after every series.

have 6 teams

with a coporate sponsor

so example

zarai tariqiati tigers

krl lions

Nothing more to add.

ensure full security and convince other teams to play in pakistan= earn money, spend it on domestic setup like coaches, grounds,pitches, more matches, A team and u19 tours to sa,aus,eng.

players like Sohaib Maqsood, Rameej Raja Jr, Hammad Azam, Raza Hasan, Kamran Ghulam and Zia-ul-haq should be pakistan team.

players like Sohaib Maqsood, Rameej Raja Jr, Hammad Azam, Raza Hasan, Kamran Ghulam and Zia-ul-haq should be pakistan team.

Based on their recent domestic stats or you think there is something special in them? Our domestic structure is really weak where players like Malik and Farhat were averaging 65+ in last FC season.

Pakistan is a large country. You can not ever decrease the teams to 6. 10 teams will be a realistic and proper approach. Increase the salary. Every ground must have a gym. Improve the coaching standards. The pitches should be well prepared and sporting. Every match should be televised.

Last edited:

Zia ul haq has done nothing in FC. He is very raw and sprays the ball like Wahab. He isn't ready for international cricket. Kamran Ghulam is still playing U-19s and only toured once with them. It is very pre mature to bring him in the team now. Hammad Azam should be consistent to claim his spot in the team and needs to improve his bowling 1st if he want to play as an all-rounder. Rameez Raja Jnr in out of form (Check last season). Only player deserve to be in the team is Sohaib Maqsood.

A bit more cash injection would also help , increasing the salaries and bonuses would players would also surely motivate them .

increasing the salaries, televising more matches, try and create a better atmosphere (dn first class or something like that which is unique), less teams and do it like the English season where they run them at the same time and not a seperate window for each

Running parallel tournament will not be a great idea IMO. Day and Night FC games are highly unlikely due to the cost. Revamping the whole domestic set up won't help. Realistic and logical changes should be made. The coaching staff should be very strong right from the beginners level i.e U-19 level. India is reaping the benefits due to strong coaching and good academies. We should set up academies like NCA in 5 major cities.

I have a suggestion but not sure whether it will help improve the standard of domestic cricket but potentially can improve the quality of the player selected for national squad;

After the completion of each domestic tournament whether First class, List A or domestic T20, a pool of 30 to 45 players should be selected (45 players constituting 3 teams if international stars are available, otherwise 30 players comprising 2 teams if National team is engaged elsewhere) A series of 5 matches in different conditions across the country should be arranged each these selected teams and only on the base of the performances in these matches, selections to National squad should be made.

I believe that by adopting this proposed procedure, we can expect competitive cricket and the players performing in these matches will not disappoint at the international level hopefully.

Often we see the players being hyped after their performance in domestic circuit but often disappoint at the international level when given a chance. The standard of most of our domestic teams is quite mediocre and good batsmen/bowlers (even though not international material) gain much from playing such opponents and we start pinning our hopes on them. Similarly the players getting dropped from national squad also perform against such weak teams and are again selected in the national teams as their fans and their friends in the media start advocating for their cases.

I am hopeful that if we stick to select national squad from these selected squads, we may benefit from it. Pentangular cup comes to mind, its similar idea but even in pentangular cup, apart from 1 or 2 teams, others teams are not strong enough and the players from stronger team benefit by performing against these teams.

I know that it might be difficult for players to adjust under different captains, team mates and conditions but the purpose of the idea is to identify the players who perform consistently under different conditions.

^^ Top 75 players play in Pantangular Cup. 4 day and One Day Format.

We all forgot to give the emphasis on strengthening the Club Cricket. The 1st and major step of PCB should be to revive club cricket. I bet if we strengthen the club cricket, we will start producing good cricketers. There is almost no money involved in club cricket.

Last edited:
Restructuring Pakistan domestic cricket

According to sources efforts are underway to restructurize pak domestic cricket and it is being said that once again there might be separate tournaments for regions and departments but nothig is final as of yet.

I want all of guys here to post their recommendations here and i request [MENTION=9]Saj[/MENTION] bhai to please forward best ones to Najam sethi sb directly, if possible.
Note: I request everyone here to please support me in this regard with full dedication.
Regards.

Firstly I would like that the different departments,instead of having their own teams,sponsor regional teams e.g PIA sponsors Karachi,HBL sponsors Lahore etc.These corporations could bid for a team in the way teams were sold for the PSL.Only except that the bidding process is limited to departments which already have regional teams.This is primarily because there is zero fan interest in departmental contests.

I would like that there are six main domestic competitions,including the PSL.

1,Quaid-e-Azam trophy(FC Division 1):8 top tier city teams sponsored by Departments.Every team plays each other once.Top 2 play finals.Bottom two get relegated to Patrons Trophy.Teams could be Karachi,Lahore,Multan,Peshawar,Rawalpindi,Faisalabad,Federal(Islamabad) and Sialkot.

2,Patrons trophy(FC Division 2): 8 lower tier city teams sponsored by departments.Same format.Top 2(finalists) get promoted to the QeA trophy.Teams could be Quetta,Hyderabad,Sukkur,FATA,Abbottabad,AJK,Gilgit Baltistan,Gwadar.

3,One Day Cup: 10 city based teams divided into 2 groups of 4.Each team plays every other team from their group.Top 2 from each group contest semis,then finals.

4,Pakistan Cup: Current format with regional teams,maybe an extra team can be added e.g Gilgit

5,National T20: The same format as the OD cup.

6,Pakistan Super League: Same format,with room for expansion.

Of course this does not include other competitions like Women's cricket and age group cricket.U-19 LA cup can be held every year as well as u-16 competitions.

Another thing that must be taken care of is that except for the PSL(that too a maybe),no competition should select players via a draft.The PCB should instead assign players for each team.These players should actually be from the city(or at least the region).

The PCB should release the schedule of each competition well in advance.We learned about the 2018 Pakistan Cup just a few days ago and it starts in a week...

Firstly I would like that the different departments,instead of having their own teams,sponsor regional teams e.g PIA sponsors Karachi,HBL sponsors Lahore etc.These corporations could bid for a team in the way teams were sold for the PSL.Only except that the bidding process is limited to departments which already have teams playing in different competitions.This is primarily because there is zero fan interest in departmental contests.

1,Quaid-e-Azam trophy(FC Division 1):8 top tier city teams sponsored by Departments.Every team plays each other once.Top 2 play finals.Bottom two get relegated to Patrons Trophy.Teams could be Karachi,Lahore,Multan,Peshawar,Rawalpindi,Faisalabad,Federal(Islamabad) and Sialkot.

2,Patrons trophy(FC Division 2): 8 lower tier city teams sponsored by departments.Same format.Top 2(finalists) get promoted to the QeA trophy.Teams could be Quetta,Hyderabad,Sukkur,FATA,Abbottabad,AJK,Gilgit Baltistan,Gwadar.

3,One Day Cup: 10 city based teams divided into 2 groups of 4.Each team plays every other team from their group.Top 2 from each group contest semis,then finals.

4,Pakistan Cup: Current format with regional teams,maybe an extra team can be added e.g Gilgit

Of course this does not include other competitions like Women's cricket and age group cricket.U-19 LA cup can be held every year as well as u-16 competitions.

Another thing that must be taken care of is that except for the PSL(that too a maybe),no competition should select players via a draft.The PCB should instead assign players for each team.These players should actually be from the city(or at least the region).

The PCB should release the schedule of each competition well in advance.We learned about the 2018 Pakistan Cup just a few days ago and it starts in a week...

Corrected.

Thanks for your effort buddy.
We need more of this pls come forword [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION], @Talentsppotter...I know you can come up with better ideas as [MENTION=139765]Arham_PakFan[/MENTION]

Thanks for your effort buddy.
We need more of this pls come forword [MENTION=79064]MMHS[/MENTION], @Talentsppotter...I know you can come up with better ideas as [MENTION=139765]Arham_PakFan[/MENTION]

Exhausted man, writing on same topic. Don’t think they have any interest to change it effectively. Old wine in new bottle won’t work.

Firstly I would like that the different departments,instead of having their own teams,sponsor regional teams e.g PIA sponsors Karachi,HBL sponsors Lahore etc.These corporations could bid for a team in the way teams were sold for the PSL.Only except that the bidding process is limited to departments which already have regional teams.This is primarily because there is zero fan interest in departmental contests.

Totally agreed, I've been banging on about need for departments to sponsor regions for years - nobody is interested in watching matches between Airlines vs Gas Companies. It's easier to market domestic cricket by playing up to peoples' regional loyalties and affiliations.

I only query the need for two domestic 50 over competition. I'd rather have one city based one day tournament.

Another important change would be to move the FC season to Mar-Apr instead of Nov-Dec when conditions up North are very seam friendly.

Exhausted man, writing on same topic. Don’t think they have any interest to change it effectively. Old wine in new bottle won’t work.

I had one detailed post, probably a year back. You have to search it in PP

This won’t happen but they should make Pakistan Cup like a 50 over PSL with local players. Have all the franchises like KK, LQ with the same kits, players.

This could be played during IPL window when there is no international cricket for us (most of the time).

Totally agreed, I've been banging on about need for departments to sponsor regions for years - nobody is interested in watching matches between Airlines vs Gas Companies. It's easier to market domestic cricket by playing up to peoples' regional loyalties and affiliations.

I only query the need for two domestic 50 over competition. I'd rather have one city based one day tournament.

Another important change would be to move the FC season to Mar-Apr instead of Nov-Dec when conditions up North are very seam friendly.

The first (City Based) OD Cup will have teams sponsored by the departments,so it will effectively replace the current Departmental OD Cup.I would like this tournament to have mostly young/fringe players.

Meanwhile the Pak Cup should include all the current national team members* as well as the best performers from the PSL/OD tournament.With only 5/6 teams the number of spots will be limited so it will allow for some good competition.That is why I would like the PCB to assign players to each team and not a draft system.

*For this,the tournament needs to be scheduled at a time when there is no international cricket.

Back